DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 12-31-17, 06:11 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Official 2018 NFL Off-Season Thread

Okay, I get to start this thread with the news Iíve been waiting and hoping for : Colts fire head coach Chuck Pagano. Nice guys finish last (or third, thanks to a tie-breaker with the Texans).

Hue Jackson will be retained by the Browns, though I canít possibly imagine why.
Old 12-31-17, 08:37 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Official 2018 NFL Off-Season Thread

Del Rio is gone so. maybe Jon Gruden is in?
Old 12-31-17, 09:46 PM   #3
Admin-Self Banned

Giants lock up the 2nd pick. Hopefully they get a QB.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 01-01-18, 12:24 AM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

Colts get #3 in front of the Texans pick (which goes to the Browns) even though they ended up ahead of the Texans in the division, which seemed a little weird.
Anyways, as the first term who does not need a Quarterback they should be able to get the best non-QB in the draft. Too bad there isn't any obvious franchise defensive players in this draft class
Old 01-01-18, 12:35 AM   #5
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Colts get #3 in front of the Texans pick (which goes to the Browns) even though they ended up ahead of the Texans in the division, which seemed a little weird.
Anyways, as the first term who does not need a Quarterback they should be able to get the best non-QB in the draft. Too bad there isn't any obvious franchise defensive players in this draft class
Colts need a RB who can consistently run for over 100 yds.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 01-01-18, 12:38 AM   #6
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Giants lock up the 2nd pick. Hopefully they get a QB.
Which QB?

Choose wisely.

I watch a lot of college football, and don't see a sure fire guy.

My money is on the Browns fucking up both their picks.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 01-01-18, 12:39 AM   #7
DVD Talk Godfather

Darnold's not coming out especially after USC's disastrous performance in the Cotton Bowl.
Old 01-01-18, 12:43 AM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Raven fans, Bengal fans welcome you to thread #642534.
Old 01-01-18, 12:45 AM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
My money is on the Browns fucking up both their picks.
I was going to ask if you meant they were going to draft poorly again, or if you meant they would ruin two kids' futures.... then I realized that you could mean both.
Old 01-01-18, 02:00 AM   #10
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Colts need a RB who can consistently run for over 100 yds.
Do you think they take Barkley with that #3 pick? I know he's really good (and #1 on Mel Kiper's big board), but so many productive backs can be had later in the draft, I just don't know if you pull the trigger that early. I'd be fine if they traded back and grabbed him (which would have been a distinct possibility if they had lost today and ended up with the #2 pick ahead of the Giants. Now that they're behind two teams with a pressing QB need, I just don't see anyone coming up to grab the third-best QB at #3. The Broncos and the Jets both need a QB (sitting at 5 & 6 respectively), but doubt either wants to come up. If the Jets really like a QB and want to leapfrog the Broncos, I'm sure the Colts would listen though.

Still I think the Colts have more pressing needs on the O-line and at the edge than in the backfield. They have zero pass rush and it's hurt them all year.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 01-01-18, 08:24 AM   #11
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Has the draft order been announced yet?
Old 01-01-18, 08:31 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Has the draft order been announced yet?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ock/993958001/
Old 01-01-18, 08:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Thanks!
Old 01-01-18, 08:35 AM   #14
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Do you think they take Barkley with that #3 pick? I know he's really good (and #1 on Mel Kiper's big board), but so many productive backs can be had later in the draft, I just don't know if you pull the trigger that early. I'd be fine if they traded back and grabbed him (which would have been a distinct possibility if they had lost today and ended up with the #2 pick ahead of the Giants. Now that they're behind two teams with a pressing QB need, I just don't see anyone coming up to grab the third-best QB at #3. The Broncos and the Jets both need a QB (sitting at 5 & 6 respectively), but doubt either wants to come up. If the Jets really like a QB and want to leapfrog the Broncos, I'm sure the Colts would listen though.

Still I think the Colts have more pressing needs on the O-line and at the edge than in the backfield. They have zero pass rush and it's hurt them all year.
Barkley is a sure thing IMO. Great receiver out of the backfield too. These QBs....meh.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 01-01-18, 08:53 AM   #15
DVD Talk God

I don't like taking a RB early either, but I think Barkley will be legit.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 01-01-18, 10:09 AM   #16
Admin-Self Banned

Colts have to take Barkley at the #3 pick. Yeah the Giants might not get the best QB at 2, but it's time to move on. Hell, the Giants floundered for a decade with no real QB after the Phil Simms era ended. I'd take 1/2 that time if needed.
Old 01-01-18, 11:11 AM   #17

Niners and Raiders will flip coin on who get the #9 pick on February.
Old 01-01-18, 11:31 AM   #18
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whoever takes Barkley in the first round will feel stupid when they see what kind of production some other team gets out of Rashaad Penny in the second or third round.

There are usually great backs available in the second or third round, and that will be true this year for sure.
Old 01-01-18, 11:49 AM   #19
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post

There are usually great backs available in the second or third round, and that will be true this year for sure.
The winner of the 2017 NFL Rushing Title was Kareem Hunt who was taken by the Chiefs in the third round.
Old 01-01-18, 12:34 PM   #20
DVD Talk God

Quote:
The winner of the 2017 NFL Rushing Title was Kareem Hunt who was taken by the Chiefs in the third round.
And David Johnson was a 3rd rounder. Having said that, if he is highest player on board and you are up to pick how can you not take him? Just because you can find guys on 2nd day of draft that position, doesn't mean you should pass up and guy who most are saying is top 10 talent.

Old 01-01-18, 12:52 PM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
And David Johnson was a 3rd rounder. Having said that, if he is highest player on board and you are up to pick how can you not take him? Just because you can find guys on 2nd day of draft that position, doesn't mean you should pass up and guy who most are saying is top 10 talent.
I just don't think that you find elite pass rushers in the second or third round nearly as often. Plus shelf life of an elite RB isn't as long. Sure you have to trust your draft board and take the top guy who fills a need for you, but all things being equal, I'd go for an elite pass rusher over a top rated RB. That said, I'm not sure if there is a DE or DB in this draft class who compares in talent and potential to what you will likely get with Barkley.
Old 01-01-18, 01:12 PM   #22
DVD Talk God

I don't disagree, but as far as I am seeing it, there aren't those premiere guys at those positions like there was last year.

Old 01-01-18, 01:13 PM   #23
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I just don't think that you find elite pass rushers in the second or third round nearly as often. Plus shelf life of an elite RB isn't as long. Sure you have to trust your draft board and take the top guy who fills a need for you, but all things being equal, I'd go for an elite pass rusher over a top rated RB. That said, I'm not sure if there is a DE or DB in this draft class who compares in talent and potential to what you will likely get with Barkley.
Here's my point about Barkley, though - Rashaad Penny is better. Led FBS in rushing this year with 2,278 yards. He had 23 rushing TD's this season. 135 yards and 2 TD's receiving (he can catch, but the Aztecs didn't pass a whole lot the last couple of years). 7 career kickoff returns for TD's (he's tied for the All Time record). His first ever punt return went for a TD this season. Penny even got 1,000 yards rushing last season as a backup!

Barkley's the big name from the P5 school, and he's very good, but he's not the best at what he does.

Penny's going to be taken late in the 2nd round or sometime in the 3rd round. And that's why I say that whoever takes Barkley in the 1st round is going to kick themselves when they see what other backs, including Penny, produce after being taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Old 01-01-18, 01:14 PM   #24
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Here's my point about Barkley, though - Rashaad Penny is better. Led FBS in rushing this year with 2,278 yards. He had 23 rushing TD's this season. 135 yards and 2 TD's receiving (he can catch, but the Aztecs didn't pass a whole lot the last couple of years). 7 career kickoff returns for TD's (he's tied for the All Time record). His first ever punt return went for a TD this season. Penny even got 1,000 yards rushing last season as a backup!

Barkley's the big name from the P5 school, and he's very good, but he's not the best at what he does.

Penny's going to be taken late in the 2nd round or sometime in the 3rd round. And that's why I say that whoever takes Barkley in the 1st round is going to kick themselves when they see what other backs, including Penny, produce after being taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
Omg we get it. You are an SDSU alum. Stats aren't everything. Jeez. Quality of opponent makes a huge difference.

Old 01-01-18, 01:17 PM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

Kamara was a third-round pick as well. Does that mean the Jags should've passed on Fournette? I dunno, but I think they're pretty happy with him aside from the injuries. I don't remember their other needs at the time, but injuries affected the top receivers taken immediately afterward. Then again, they could've also had Deshaun Watson.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016