Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-11-18, 02:47 PM   #201
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official 2018 Tennis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
if there's one argument Nadal fans have in the GOAT debate, it's that Nadal doesn't choke. When he has a big lead, he wins. Fed has had some notoriously bad losses when he was winning by a large margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Fed is now 266-3 in Grand Slam matches where he was up by 2 sets. Man, what a choker!
Quote:
Which is why the losses stand out so much, prick. It's shocking, surprising, and unexpected when it happens to the GOAT
Personal attack notwithstanding (man you have some thin skin), I'd hardly call just his 3rd loss out of 269 such matches evidence that he "has had some notoriously bad losses when he was winning by a large margin" such that Nadal might deserve the title of GOAT. Yes, when someone is as automatic as 266-3 it is shocking when one of those 3 times happens, but not evidence of him not being the GOAT.

I can't find similar stats for Nadal, but I know it has happened to him at least once. So before today's loss (because you advanced this argument before today's loss), at best it had happened twice to Fed and once to Nadal, and that's an argument that Nadal is the GOAT, not Fed?

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 07-11-18, 03:28 PM   #202
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, 3 out of 269 barely registers statistically. That's not something you can base an argument on.
Old 07-11-18, 03:30 PM   #203
DVD Talk Hero

STRONG showing by Isner in this tournament.
Old 07-11-18, 03:41 PM   #204
DVD Talk Hero

Tight service game, Rafa fought off a few break points, holds for 5-3 in the 5th.
Old 07-11-18, 03:51 PM   #205
DVD Talk Hero

What a match, and what a win for Rafa. That was fantastic.
Old 07-11-18, 03:53 PM   #206
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm very sad I was stuck at work during that match. Only got to watch a bit on stream.
Old 07-11-18, 04:37 PM   #207
DVD Talk Hero

It was a very entertaining match but not a very high quality one.
Old 07-11-18, 04:44 PM   #208
DVD Talk Legend

Nadal gutted it out over Del Po. You get the feeling Nadal would have lost today if the match had been on a hardcourt. What was wrong with the court? Both players kept slipping more than normal.

I can't believe Isner is one match away from a Wimbledon Final. He's playing better now than he's played in a long, long time. It would be incredible if he somehow pulled this off and won. He hasn't even been serving his best and still hasn't been broken.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 07-11-18, 04:53 PM   #209
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
It was a very entertaining match but not a very high quality one.

Old 07-11-18, 05:18 PM   #210
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post

She sounds like people who have just watched an entertaining movie, who will then claim "it's the best I've ever seen!".

By all accounts, it was not a high quality match. Del Po was slipping and falling all over the place, his movement on grass is terrible, and he almost won with just a serve and a forehand. He still can't hit a backhand (hard) at all. Rafa reverted back to just putting the serve in, and most of his groundstrokes fall way too short. Both guys had a ton of missed chances, bad shanks, and periods of poor play.

So again, while it offered plenty of drama and entertainment, it was not a high quality match. Neither was the Federer match.
Old 07-12-18, 08:45 AM   #211
DVD Talk Hero

Even in losing the first set, it is so easy to see why Ostapenko should be able to not only win this Wimbledon, but probably win several. She is more Kvitova than Kvitova and is more athletic as well. Alas, you can already see her brain going off the rails a bit. I hope she is able to re-focus during the changeover.

Edit: Annnnd no, going exactly as I expected.

Edit2: Jesus, someone get this young woman a better coach and a shrink. She is so damn good, sporadically.

Edit3: And there you have it. Jelena dumped a bucket of cold water on her own flicker of hope there at the end. Goerges will throw in a nice "I'm just happy to be here" straight set loss and Serena will polish off Kerber in the final. Her win over Serena in Melbourne two years ago (and reasonably competitive loss on grass later that year) aside, I just can't really see her beating Serena, even rough-around-the-edges comeback Serena, in a Wimbledon final. Hope I'm wrong, but no.

Last edited by jfoobar; 07-12-18 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 09:20 AM   #212
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Please pull off a miracle and beat Serena, Julia. Would also be awesome to see an all-German final. Is Kerber the best German female player ever outside of Steffi?
Old 07-12-18, 10:34 AM   #213
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Please pull off a miracle and beat Serena, Julia. Would also be awesome to see an all-German final. Is Kerber the best German female player ever outside of Steffi?
The only other I can think of that is at least in the same neighborhood is Anke Huber. She never won a major but made it to a final, a couple of semis and several quarters. She had the misfortune of playing against Graf and Seles a lot.
Old 07-12-18, 10:35 AM   #214
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
::
Open era, it's Kerber. But this got me curious so I googled and found this interesting piece/post (translated from a German book about tennis):

Four Great Early German Female Lawn Tennis Players
https://www.tennisforum.com/59-blast...s-players.html

Their stories are fascinating, and at times tragic (Nelly Neppach). Well worth reading.

Here's an excerpt about the best German female player before Steffi Graf who was in the only all German final at Wimbledon:

Quote:
Hilde Sperling-Krahwinkel – The Quiet Champion

By Dieter Koditek

“Before Steffi Graf arrived on the scene, she was the most successful tennis player in the history of German tennis. Hilde Sperling-Krahwinkel was ranked in the world’s top ten for ten consecutive years, from 1930 to 1939, and in 1936 and 1937 was even ranked as high as number two. And still, at least where popularity was concerned, she had to leave the number one position to another German player. Wimbledon is the tournament with the greatest reputation and there, in 1931, in what is so far the only singles final to feature two German women, Hilde Krahwinkel was beaten by Cilly Aussem from Cologne. From then on Hilde Sperling-Krahwinkel had to stand somewhat in the shadow of the Rhinelander whose career did not last very long.

“The girl from a good middle-class, wealthy, respectable home in Essen achieved a great deal. For three consecutive years, from 1935 to 1937, she won the International French Championships in Paris, the most coveted and most valuable of all clay court titles. And in 1936 she reached the Wimbledon singles final for a second time, but once again finished as runner-up. After a fierce battle she lost to the great Helen Jacobs, 6-2, 4-6, 7-5, and in the process reduced her American opponent to a state of near physical collapse. When the final point had been won, Helen Jacobs had to be helped to the changing room supported by two assistants.
(more)

https://www.tennisforum.com/59-blast...s-players.html

Last edited by eXcentris; 07-12-18 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 11:09 AM   #215
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
She is more Kvitova than Kvitova and is more athletic as well.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. But does she have Kvitova's jugs?
Old 07-12-18, 11:11 AM   #216
DVD Talk Hero

Goerges broke Serena for 4-5 and then proceeded to put both hands around her neck and lost her service game and the match at love .

Last edited by Quake1028; 07-12-18 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 11:13 AM   #217
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. But does she have Kvitova's jugs?
Not remotely.

Honestly, I don't think I could even be capable of having a prurient thought about Ostapenko at this point. To me, she still looks like a girl. She's 21 and looks 14. She'll probably be like Hingis and be into her 30s before she really looks like an adult.
Old 07-12-18, 11:17 AM   #218
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Not remotely.

Honestly, I don't think I could even be capable of having a prurient thought about Ostapenko at this point. To me, she still looks like a girl. She's 21 and looks 14. She'll probably be like Hingis and be into her 30s before she really looks like an adult.
That was my first thought about her too, cute, but looks very young.
Old 07-12-18, 02:54 PM   #219
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
She sounds like people who have just watched an entertaining movie, who will then claim "it's the best I've ever seen!".

By all accounts, it was not a high quality match. Del Po was slipping and falling all over the place, his movement on grass is terrible, and he almost won with just a serve and a forehand. He still can't hit a backhand (hard) at all. Rafa reverted back to just putting the serve in, and most of his groundstrokes fall way too short. Both guys had a ton of missed chances, bad shanks, and periods of poor play.

So again, while it offered plenty of drama and entertainment, it was not a high quality match. Neither was the Federer match.
Neither player's game is really built for grasscourt tennis, but the match had plenty of competitive drama. Del Po was giving it his all and both players had a couple of fantastic diving saves. I wouldn't call it great play by either man, but late-round Grand Slam matches are often sloppy wars of attrition.

Of all the matches yesterday, Djokovic surprisingly looked the best.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 07-12-18, 05:42 PM   #220
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Of all the matches yesterday, Djokovic surprisingly looked the best.
Not that surprising to me and others. Djokovic was playing much better than you gave him credit for when Wimbledon started. Cahill believes he will win and I woudn't be shocked either. His fitness in a very long match could be an issue, but he's the freshest of all the guys left (except maybe Isner).
Old 07-12-18, 10:01 PM   #221
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
...(except maybe Isner).
I have to give Isner full credit. I have long said, much to my mother-in-law and wife's chagrin (who adore him), that Isner would never win a major. He has always been a one-trick pony kind of player. Instead of having faded into obscurity, which is what I would have expected of him by now, he won Miami and now finds himself in his first ever GS semi. He's still never going to win a major, but he has done better than I ever would have expected.
Old 07-12-18, 11:30 PM   #222
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll take Isner and Djokovic to meet in the final, with Djokovic winning in 3 or 4 sets. I expect the Isner/Anderson match to have at least 3 tiebreakers, and Djokovic and Nadal to go 5.

And the women's final will be a quick and boring 2 setter.
Old 07-13-18, 12:42 AM   #223
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking if Isner and the other big guys, it's amazing how a slight change in surface can benefit some players. Why did so many big servers make it deep in the tournament? Because the Wimbledon courts this year are rock hard and play like hard courts. Ball bounces higher which is a plus for tall guys who normally struggle with the "normal" low bouncing courts. It also negates the effectiveness of the slice which, for example, Fed normally uses to "cut the tall guys down" (that's not why he lost though).

That's not meant to discredit these guys. They still have to win the matches and are not responsible for playing conditions.
Old 07-13-18, 09:33 AM   #224
DVD Talk Hero

From the way the match started, Isner looked to have the upper hand. But then the Isner slop started kicking in a bit.
Old 07-13-18, 10:12 AM   #225
DVD Talk Hero

Two sets, two tiebreakers? Shocking.

/s