Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Report: The XFL may be returning

Old 01-28-18, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Right but you can't take the decals off. Sports depend on people having years and years of attachment to the colors more than the players. I don't like football enough to watch a game with one team in white uniforms and the other in black uniforms. On the other hand I'll watch any game FSU plays because that's my team win or lose. It takes time to build a fan base and I simply don't think the league will be around long enough to build one.
Old 01-28-18, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
If you think preseason football is good than you might get into this. I find game 4 of the preseason unwatchable.
I understand the preseason football comment, but imagine the difference if the coaching staff worked exclusively with the game 4 guys and they received all the reps during the entire training camp and season. Then remove other factors such as forced evaluation of players, playing out of position, playing in unfamiliar personnel groupings, playing a game that the result is irrelevant, etc. There are many reasons game 4 of preseason looks the way it does not related to talent. I think it is safe to say their level of play would improve.

Put it this way: The Pro Bowl sucks and obviously it is not due to a lack of talented players.

Who am I kidding, I'll give it a shot but I don't expect it to rise to the level of college football.
That's the kind of comment that puzzles me. It is likely that every player in this league will have been a starter on scholarship in college.

Frankly, take the colors and decals off the uniforms and other than perhaps the QB position few people could tell the difference between walking in on a college and NFL game.

The average fan vastly overestimates their ability to detect talent in anything other than a relative way. So if squads are evenly matched they have no basis to judge what they are watching. For that matter, NFL head coaches and general managers struggle with splitting the difference between players. That's why a bunch of them get fired every year.

So I chuckle at the righteous indignation against the existence of an "also ran" pro league.
Old 01-28-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Right but you can't take the decals off. Sports depend on people having years and years of attachment to the colors more than the players. I don't like football enough to watch a game with one team in white uniforms and the other in black uniforms. On the other hand I'll watch any game FSU plays because that's my team win or lose. It takes time to build a fan base and I simply don't think the league will be around long enough to build one.
That could very well be the case, and there are many ways this could fail. But I just don't understand the automatic dismissal by some because it can't possibly be good football.
Old 01-28-18, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Are the rules for saying the n word new for you? Yes, black people are the only ones who should say it, not the millionaire CEO of a public company, who by the way, is the one that wrote and approved the script. There are many other instances about how racist Vince McMahon has been. This isn't anything new.
No. They arent new, they are just hypocritical bullshit. So the word is so horrible that it shouldn't be said, but blacks can say it to each other, or when its in a money making venture?

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
By the way, one of the Usos, the current Smackdown tag team champions, got recently arrested for a DUI. Has he been fired? No. Suspended? No Why? Because he makes Vince money as one of the top merchandise sellers on the Smackdown brand.
So you're actually complaining that a minority wasn't fired? If he was fired, would you be complaining abut the injustice of it all?
Old 01-28-18, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
About 2% of college football players make it to the NFL. Would you say the same about college football? Do colleges play in front of empty stadiums? What about high school? Not even 1 in 1000 are NFL worthy!

With 8 teams the rosters could (theoretically) be made up of the last 10 guys cut from the 32 NFL teams each year. So, none of those guys know how to play football?
Only a fool would think that college football is on the same talent level as the NFL.

College and High School attendance, not relevant to my comments.

The last 10 guys cut all have one thing in common. They weren't good enough for the NFL and that is the point.

Sure they know how to play but they will never match the NFL.

Crap was a bit harsh so perhap I should have said, I won't waste one minute on an inferior product.

Last edited by WCChiCubsFan; 01-28-18 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I understand the preseason football comment, but imagine the difference if the coaching staff worked exclusively with the game 4 guys and they received all the reps during the entire training camp and season. Then remove other factors such as forced evaluation of players, playing out of position, playing in unfamiliar personnel groupings, playing a game that the result is irrelevant, etc. There are many reasons game 4 of preseason looks the way it does not related to talent. I think it is safe to say their level of play would improve.
The fact of the matter is the majority of the XFL roster's will be guys not good enough to make an NFL preseason squad. A practice squad guy in the NFL makes over 100K a year,the XFL salarie's will not be at that level. And the coaching staff will probably be guys long retired from the coaching ranks or someone who can't get a job as the offensive line or special team coach at a Mid Major NCAA Football Team given what College Football staff pay's. Who know's maybe Vince will have smart football minds around him who find diamonds in the coaching rough. But that's not a gurantee.
Old 01-29-18, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
College and High School attendance, not relevant to my comments.
It is relevant in that those levels are tremendously popular even though they have virtually no NFL caliber talent playing.

The last 10 guys cut all have one thing in common. They weren't good enough for the NFL and that is the point.
The difference between the last 10 guys cut and the last 10 guys kept is remarkably small.

Crap was a bit harsh so perhap I should have said, I won't waste one minute on an inferior product.
Inferior to what, the NFL? Every team assembled outside the NFL is less talented. That does not mean their games can't be highly entertaining, and likely the millions upon millions of fans who attended and tuned in to those games last year would agree.
Old 01-29-18, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
And the coaching staff will probably be guys long retired from the coaching ranks or someone who can't get a job as the offensive line or special team coach at a Mid Major NCAA Football Team given what College Football staff pay's. Who know's maybe Vince will have smart football minds around him who find diamonds in the coaching rough. But that's not a gurantee.
I agree that this is a much bigger potential obstacle than finding guys to play.

Maybe it has been discussed, but will the XFL use the same NFL age restrictions? Or might we see players who have no interest in even pretending to be a college student sign straight out of high school?
Old 01-29-18, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that this is a much bigger potential obstacle than finding guys to play.

Maybe it has been discussed, but will the XFL use the same NFL age restrictions? Or might we see players who have no interest in even pretending to be a college student sign straight out of high school?
If a player signed out of high school he'd cripple his NFL career IMO. Physically mature for basketball and physically mature for football are 2 different things. He'd get crushed playing against men and he wouldn't be receiving the coaching that he'd get in college. 3 years later he wouldn't be ready to step on an NFL field. Will the XFL put the kind of money into nutrition and training that college teams do now? Highly doubtful.
Old 12-03-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 01-10-19, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck is saying they may draft players right out of high school.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...the-nfl-draft/
Old 01-10-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only a fool would think that college football is on the same talent level as the NFL.
I still believe the 2005 USC team would have destroyed the 2005 49ers.
Old 01-22-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I still believe the 2005 USC team would have destroyed the 2005 49ers.
Your kidding, right?
Old 01-22-19, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No they would
Old 01-23-19, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No they wouldn't. Not even close.
Old 01-23-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(I doubt this is serious, but just in case) So the 49ers posed less of a challenge than Fresno State who USC was unable to destroy (beat by one score)? A team that had maybe five future NFL players and none of which you have ever heard of?
Old 01-25-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a huge difference in line play between NCAA and the NFL. Both offensive and defensive linemen in the NFL would eat up their college opponents. There's probably less difference at the skill positions. Running backs are probably a push since NFL running backs have taken so many more hits than their younger counterparts.
Old 01-25-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
There's a huge difference in line play between NCAA and the NFL. Both offensive and defensive linemen in the NFL would eat up their college opponents. There's probably less difference at the skill positions. Running backs are probably a push since NFL running backs have taken so many more hits than their younger counterparts.
The 3rd/4th receivers on an NFL roster would obliterate the 3rd/4th DBs on a college team

That's the thing people forget when they bring this sort of thing up. A college team can be great by having a couple of pros and a bunch of joes because they only compete against other college teams. An NFL team is superior at 80% - 90% of the positions on the field versus even the best college team, and that goes all the way down to the kickers. And when you get into subs it is even a bigger mismatch...men versus boys at that point.
Old 01-25-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is this even a debate? There is no college team that could compete with even the worst NFL teams. Last year's Browns team would go 16-0 in the SEC.
Old 01-25-19, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think there's a debate. Every college team would get obliterated if real stakes were on the line. The kicking and special teams are another huge difference I forgot about.