Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Report: The XFL may be returning

Old 01-26-18, 12:19 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,652
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

I don't get the mental gymnastics behind this thinking. So its political to not want your product to be political?
Bluelitespecial is online now  
Old 01-26-18, 01:19 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,864
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

If they roll back the rules to NFL-style football from the 1980s/90s, I could see the XFL making a niche for themselves.

Remember, this won't be a league built on stars. They won't need to go out of their way to protect mostly unknown quarterbacks.

I know I've gotten fed up with the pass-happy NFL we have today. It was fine when a few QBs threw 4000 yards in a season, not when everyone does it.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 01:44 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,830
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
If they roll back the rules to NFL-style football from the 1980s/90s, I could see the XFL making a niche for themselves.

Remember, this won't be a league built on stars. They won't need to go out of their way to protect mostly unknown quarterbacks.

I know I've gotten fed up with the pass-happy NFL we have today. It was fine when a few QBs threw 4000 yards in a season, not when everyone does it.
Yeah-me too.

I live in the Detroit area and when they talk about the Lions it's all about Stats Stafford.

Since Robert Craft purchased the Patriots they have won something like 27 playoff games while during the same time period the Detroit Lions have won-zero- playoff games.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 03:38 PM
  #79  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,684
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Yeah, the no people with criminal records shit has MAGA/racist all over.
How is it racist?
jjcool is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 03:39 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 12,044
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
How is it racist?
How do you even need to ask that question? Or do you truly think drug charges between minorities and whites have been fairly given out over the years?
Noonan is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 03:45 PM
  #81  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
AaronHernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bayside
Posts: 2,079
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I don't get the mental gymnastics behind this thinking. So its political to not want your product to be political?
Having a national anthem with required standing up/attendance in itself is a political stance. If he wanted to be apolitical he would have never mentioned protests one way or another. He's clearly hoping pissed of Maga people will watch to 'stick it to the NFL". Again it's a silly business model to think people would watch D grade minor league football because their pissed off at NFL. If that thinking worked Joy Villa would top the charts with just 5% of Trump voters buying her album and Scott Baio and Kirk Cameron would be dominating the box office.
AaronHernandez is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 03:47 PM
  #82  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
AaronHernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bayside
Posts: 2,079
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
If they roll back the rules to NFL-style football from the 1980s/90s, I could see the XFL making a niche for themselves.
Yeah so a football team will smaller rosters,with rules that cause injury to increase and with shorter half time to try and quicker pace. What could possibly go wrong?
AaronHernandez is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 04:45 PM
  #83  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Traxan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,260
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Yeah so a football team will smaller rosters,with rules that cause injury to increase and with shorter half time to try and quicker pace. What could possibly go wrong?
You would know.
Traxan is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 06:08 PM
  #84  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 12,783
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
How is it racist?
Do you truly expect a reasoned response to your actual question?
Bill Needle is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 06:34 PM
  #85  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JeffTheAlpaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 11,717
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

I wonder if Oakland will get a team since they will be gone in 2020.
JeffTheAlpaca is offline  
Old 01-27-18, 02:28 AM
  #86  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,061
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

I wonder how long it would take to train these guys to play XFL football.

Hazel Motes is offline  
Old 01-27-18, 08:22 AM
  #87  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,684
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
How do you even need to ask that question? Or do you truly think drug charges between minorities and whites have been fairly given out over the years?
Do you truly think drug crimes have been committed equally between whites and minorities over the years?

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Do you truly expect a reasoned response to your actual question?
Not at all. But when a racist makes a racist statement, it needs to get called out.
jjcool is offline  
Old 01-27-18, 11:55 AM
  #88  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,258
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
How do you even need to ask that question? Or do you truly think drug charges between minorities and whites have been fairly given out over the years?
No, absolutely not. But it is just as racist to immediately assume somebody with a criminal history is a minority ... which is what just happened there.
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 01-27-18, 01:06 PM
  #89  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,832
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Red Hood expressed my sentiment....a little crudely and w/o context. This is a Trump/MAGA play. As for racism, there is something there.

I'll put it this way...why do guys like Kuhn and such get so much love in the NFL? White fans (who own almost all of the tickets) love their non-QB/OL offense white guys (FBs and TEs) and wear their jerseys.

Saw it all the time when I had Skins tickets a decade ago. Most popular player in jerseys and cheering - Chris Cooley. "Coooooooley." Many better players, but he got the love. And he parlayed it into local sport talk radio.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-27-18 at 01:12 PM.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 01-27-18, 03:24 PM
  #90  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,290
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
How is it racist?
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
How do you even need to ask that question? Or do you truly think drug charges between minorities and whites have been fairly given out over the years?
What Noonan says is one reason. Vince doesn't have the best track record when it comes to minorities either. Add to this the fact that he considers the whole kneeling protest from black players as "bad", that may show that the player doing it is not a "quality human".

Then there's this

Red Hood is online now  
Old 01-27-18, 06:09 PM
  #91  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,684
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Then there's this

Ahh yes. That word that is so hateful and horrible that no one should ever use it. Except for blacks when talking to other blacks. Or in popular music, or movies or television etc.

And you do know that he is saying lines from a script and playing a character in that clip, right?

Last edited by jjcool; 01-27-18 at 08:51 PM.
jjcool is offline  
Old 01-28-18, 12:25 AM
  #92  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,864
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Yeah so a football team will smaller rosters,with rules that cause injury to increase and with shorter half time to try and quicker pace. What could possibly go wrong?
It's a much shorter season. Most NFL players have complained about the length of the NFL season. It's the only reason why the NFL hasn't expanded to 18 games yet.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 01-28-18, 06:01 AM
  #93  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,830
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

If the XFL does get up and running(that has yet too be seen) maybe this will get the NFL to kick start a minor league system.

What happens to the CFL if the XFL becomes half way successful?

I wouldn't mind the XFL adopting some of the CFL rules(including one point rouge). They might need larger endzones.
dvd-4-life is offline  
Old 01-28-18, 02:00 PM
  #94  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,290
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
Ahh yes. That word that is so hateful and horrible that no one should ever use it. Except for blacks when talking to other blacks. Or in popular music, or movies or television etc.

And you do know that he is saying lines from a script and playing a character in that clip, right?
Are the rules for saying the n word new for you? Yes, black people are the only ones who should say it, not the millionaire CEO of a public company, who by the way, is the one that wrote and approved the script. There are many other instances about how racist Vince McMahon has been. This isn't anything new.

By the way, one of the Usos, the current Smackdown tag team champions, got recently arrested for a DUI. Has he been fired? No. Suspended? No Why? Because he makes Vince money as one of the top merchandise sellers on the Smackdown brand.
Red Hood is online now  
Old 01-28-18, 05:47 PM
  #95  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,917
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Do we want to talk about how many former WWF champions have criminal records? Vince doesn't give a damn about a criminal record. He's playing the the #MAGA crowd and the Anthem baiting nonsense. Does that make Vince a racist? No, but he's clearly race baiting when making that statement.
Timber is offline  
Old 01-28-18, 05:51 PM
  #96  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,917
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

Saw it all the time when I had Skins tickets a decade ago. Most popular player in jerseys and cheering - Chris Cooley. "Coooooooley." Many better players, but he got the love. And he parlayed it into local sport talk radio.
Cooley, Brent Celek, hell any white TE gets more love from the fans than their more talented black counterparts.
Timber is offline  
Old 01-28-18, 06:26 PM
  #97  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 12,783
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Do we want to talk about how many former WWF champions have criminal records? Vince doesn't give a damn about a criminal record. He's playing the the #MAGA crowd and the Anthem baiting nonsense. Does that make Vince a racist? No, but he's clearly race baiting when making that statement.
Sounds like more baiting going on than at the fishing hole on Saturday.
Bill Needle is offline  
Old 01-28-18, 06:31 PM
  #98  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,348
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

I will not waste one minute on this crap.

There is simply not enough good talent for this league's product to be worth watching.
WCChiCubsFan is offline  
Old 01-28-18, 06:49 PM
  #99  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 12,783
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
I will not waste one minute on this crap.

There is simply not enough good talent for this league's product to be worth watching.
About 2% of college football players make it to the NFL. Would you say the same about college football? Do colleges play in front of empty stadiums? What about high school? Not even 1 in 1000 are NFL worthy!

With 8 teams the rosters could (theoretically) be made up of the last 10 guys cut from the 32 NFL teams each year. So, none of those guys know how to play football?
Bill Needle is offline  
Old 01-28-18, 06:52 PM
  #100  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,917
Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

If you think preseason football is good than you might get into this. I find game 4 of the preseason unwatchable.

Who am I kidding, I'll give it a shot but I don't expect it to rise to the level of college football.
Timber is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.