Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Report: The XFL may be returning

Old 01-26-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

I don't get the mental gymnastics behind this thinking. So its political to not want your product to be political?
Old 01-26-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they roll back the rules to NFL-style football from the 1980s/90s, I could see the XFL making a niche for themselves.

Remember, this won't be a league built on stars. They won't need to go out of their way to protect mostly unknown quarterbacks.

I know I've gotten fed up with the pass-happy NFL we have today. It was fine when a few QBs threw 4000 yards in a season, not when everyone does it.
Old 01-26-18, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
If they roll back the rules to NFL-style football from the 1980s/90s, I could see the XFL making a niche for themselves.

Remember, this won't be a league built on stars. They won't need to go out of their way to protect mostly unknown quarterbacks.

I know I've gotten fed up with the pass-happy NFL we have today. It was fine when a few QBs threw 4000 yards in a season, not when everyone does it.
Yeah-me too.

I live in the Detroit area and when they talk about the Lions it's all about Stats Stafford.

Since Robert Craft purchased the Patriots they have won something like 27 playoff games while during the same time period the Detroit Lions have won-zero- playoff games.
Old 01-26-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Yeah, the no people with criminal records shit has MAGA/racist all over.
How is it racist?
Old 01-26-18, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
How is it racist?
How do you even need to ask that question? Or do you truly think drug charges between minorities and whites have been fairly given out over the years?
Old 01-26-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I don't get the mental gymnastics behind this thinking. So its political to not want your product to be political?
Having a national anthem with required standing up/attendance in itself is a political stance. If he wanted to be apolitical he would have never mentioned protests one way or another. He's clearly hoping pissed of Maga people will watch to 'stick it to the NFL". Again it's a silly business model to think people would watch D grade minor league football because their pissed off at NFL. If that thinking worked Joy Villa would top the charts with just 5% of Trump voters buying her album and Scott Baio and Kirk Cameron would be dominating the box office.
Old 01-26-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Yeah so a football team will smaller rosters,with rules that cause injury to increase and with shorter half time to try and quicker pace. What could possibly go wrong?
Old 01-26-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Yeah so a football team will smaller rosters,with rules that cause injury to increase and with shorter half time to try and quicker pace. What could possibly go wrong?
You would know.
Old 01-26-18, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is it racist?
Do you truly expect a reasoned response to your actual question?
Old 01-26-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if Oakland will get a team since they will be gone in 2020.
Old 01-27-18, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder how long it would take to train these guys to play XFL football.

Old 01-27-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
How do you even need to ask that question? Or do you truly think drug charges between minorities and whites have been fairly given out over the years?
Do you truly think drug crimes have been committed equally between whites and minorities over the years?

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Do you truly expect a reasoned response to your actual question?
Not at all. But when a racist makes a racist statement, it needs to get called out.
Old 01-27-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, absolutely not. But it is just as racist to immediately assume somebody with a criminal history is a minority ... which is what just happened there.
Old 01-27-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Red Hood expressed my sentiment....a little crudely and w/o context. This is a Trump/MAGA play. As for racism, there is something there.

I'll put it this way...why do guys like Kuhn and such get so much love in the NFL? White fans (who own almost all of the tickets) love their non-QB/OL offense white guys (FBs and TEs) and wear their jerseys.

Saw it all the time when I had Skins tickets a decade ago. Most popular player in jerseys and cheering - Chris Cooley. "Coooooooley." Many better players, but he got the love. And he parlayed it into local sport talk radio.

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-27-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How is it racist?
What Noonan says is one reason. Vince doesn't have the best track record when it comes to minorities either. Add to this the fact that he considers the whole kneeling protest from black players as "bad", that may show that the player doing it is not a "quality human".

Then there's this

Old 01-27-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Then there's this

Ahh yes. That word that is so hateful and horrible that no one should ever use it. Except for blacks when talking to other blacks. Or in popular music, or movies or television etc.

And you do know that he is saying lines from a script and playing a character in that clip, right?

Last edited by jjcool; 01-27-18 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
It's a much shorter season. Most NFL players have complained about the length of the NFL season. It's the only reason why the NFL hasn't expanded to 18 games yet.
Old 01-28-18, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the XFL does get up and running(that has yet too be seen) maybe this will get the NFL to kick start a minor league system.

What happens to the CFL if the XFL becomes half way successful?

I wouldn't mind the XFL adopting some of the CFL rules(including one point rouge). They might need larger endzones.
Old 01-28-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ahh yes. That word that is so hateful and horrible that no one should ever use it. Except for blacks when talking to other blacks. Or in popular music, or movies or television etc.

And you do know that he is saying lines from a script and playing a character in that clip, right?
Are the rules for saying the n word new for you? Yes, black people are the only ones who should say it, not the millionaire CEO of a public company, who by the way, is the one that wrote and approved the script. There are many other instances about how racist Vince McMahon has been. This isn't anything new.

By the way, one of the Usos, the current Smackdown tag team champions, got recently arrested for a DUI. Has he been fired? No. Suspended? No Why? Because he makes Vince money as one of the top merchandise sellers on the Smackdown brand.
Old 01-28-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do we want to talk about how many former WWF champions have criminal records? Vince doesn't give a damn about a criminal record. He's playing the the #MAGA crowd and the Anthem baiting nonsense. Does that make Vince a racist? No, but he's clearly race baiting when making that statement.
Old 01-28-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

Saw it all the time when I had Skins tickets a decade ago. Most popular player in jerseys and cheering - Chris Cooley. "Coooooooley." Many better players, but he got the love. And he parlayed it into local sport talk radio.
Cooley, Brent Celek, hell any white TE gets more love from the fans than their more talented black counterparts.
Old 01-28-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Do we want to talk about how many former WWF champions have criminal records? Vince doesn't give a damn about a criminal record. He's playing the the #MAGA crowd and the Anthem baiting nonsense. Does that make Vince a racist? No, but he's clearly race baiting when making that statement.
Sounds like more baiting going on than at the fishing hole on Saturday.
Old 01-28-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will not waste one minute on this crap.

There is simply not enough good talent for this league's product to be worth watching.
Old 01-28-18, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
I will not waste one minute on this crap.

There is simply not enough good talent for this league's product to be worth watching.
About 2% of college football players make it to the NFL. Would you say the same about college football? Do colleges play in front of empty stadiums? What about high school? Not even 1 in 1000 are NFL worthy!

With 8 teams the rosters could (theoretically) be made up of the last 10 guys cut from the 32 NFL teams each year. So, none of those guys know how to play football?
Old 01-28-18, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you think preseason football is good than you might get into this. I find game 4 of the preseason unwatchable.

Who am I kidding, I'll give it a shot but I don't expect it to rise to the level of college football.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.