Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Report: The XFL may be returning

Old 01-25-18, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Oh good. #MFGA. None of those uppity...wait wrong forum. I look forward to watching "high energy guys" play.
Yeah, the no people with criminal records shit has MAGA/racist all over. Funny thing that the first player cut from this league is Johnny Football, a white player. Really pissed me that when someone asked Vince is Kap could play in the NFL, he reiterated his position that people who pass the "quality human" test could play, kinda inferring/read between the lines that Kap is a "bad quality human".

By the way, that comment is a slap in the face of some of his personnel over at WWE. Booker T, Big Show, Randy Orton, Ric Flair and many others have criminal records. Does that make them bad human beings?
Old 01-25-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
I will watch. If it airs in spring/summer, it'll fill the football void. I mean there is baseball, which I love, but always good to have more sports programming.
I'll definitely check it out, especially since I can't feign interest in baseball or the NBA. If it fills some of the void between the NCAA BB finals and the start of NFL/NCAA FB that's great, and any triggering is simply an added bonus.
Old 01-25-18, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Zero interest in this. Hell, they are playing a 10-week schedule starting in January (I assume the last weekend of January). Against college hoops, even less reason to watch this nonsense.
Old 01-25-18, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Article I read says the season is expected to start after the Super Bowl, so around early to mid February.

Good luck to McMahon getting sponsors. That's going to be the really hard part trying to get companies to help pay the bills. I'm sure if this manages to survive the 2020 season, it will be a money loser.
Old 01-25-18, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd watch a few games to give it a shot. I only have the NBA to watch around that time.
Old 01-25-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Article I read says the season is expected to start after the Super Bowl, so around early to mid February.

Good luck to McMahon getting sponsors. That's going to be the really hard part trying to get companies to help pay the bills. I'm sure if this manages to survive the 2020 season, it will be a money loser.
yeah, previous season started right around 1st of Feb, iirc, which was after the Super Bowl had aired (back when it was still in January).
Old 01-25-18, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Make the games available only on the WWE Universe so nobody will see them.
Old 01-25-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^ Not happening. There will be some broadcaster that will buy the rights.

Live sports programming is always in demand, especially in some networks like FS1, CBSSN, NBCSN that lack content. Although I doubt that NBC would go back to this again. ESPN might if it's cheap enough.
Old 01-25-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

apparently the changed rules have leaked...

Old 01-25-18, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Judging by the press conference, I think Vince learned his lesson. There will be no WWE tie-in like the last time, which was a fatal mistake. While wrestling fans like football, many football fans dislike wrestling and having Jerry Lawler and Jesse Ventura out there was a huge error.

Hopefully he will also stow it on the NFL antagonism, too. As much as Goodell deserves it, Vince needs to avoid a pissing contest. Hell he should make an offer to teams to let their regular season bench warmers be in the XFL to get some play time.

Like it or not the XFL was instrumental in a lot of football players getting a second change. I believe more than 50 went back to the NFL after the league folded and Tommy Maddox led Pittsburgh to a Super Bowl. If Vince plays his cards right, the XFL can be a good farm league where future NFL stars are made.

It also tells me Vince is really bored with his own wrestling product. It shows in the sloppiness lately. The Raw 25th anniversary was utter shit.
Old 01-25-18, 09:49 PM

If you guys remember former Kentucky/NY Giant QB Jared Lorenzen, (AKA the "Hefty Lefty", 'cause he weighed 300 lbs.), he wants to try out for the XFL. He even has an XFL nickname now.

Old 01-25-18, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn't McMahon mention that there might be the need for some teams too use baseball stadiums?

I immediately thought of Fenway Park and Yankee Stadium but playing games their in February (or any other cold weather city) wouldn't make a lot of sense. If they didn't start until early March(like the MLS) then it wouldn't be out of the question to put teams just about anywhere.
Old 01-25-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Live sports programming is always in demand, especially in some networks like FS1, CBSSN, NBCSN that lack content. Although I doubt that NBC would go back to this again. ESPN might if it's cheap enough.
And why wouldn't they buy the rights with those millions of football fans who have an itch once the NFL offseason starts,they already sell out Arena League football games in the spring and breathlessly watch the CFL during offseasons.

Oh wait
Old 01-26-18, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
I believe more than 50 went back to the NFL after the league folded and Tommy Maddox led Pittsburgh to a Super Bowl.
Maddox was the 3rd string and only played 4 games (2-2) due to Ben and Batch's injury... Big Ben led them to the SB.
Old 01-26-18, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in. It's pro football featuring the best college football players not in the NFL. Since I already love college football, and this is the 2nd 1% of the Top 2% of college players if they actually get more practice time in, and maybe some non televised preseason games, they could have a really good product.

And maybe they could get a team in San Diego. I know San Diego would love another pro football team...
Old 01-26-18, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
I'm in. It's pro football featuring the best college football players not in the NFL.
Because Vince will pay higher salaries then the CFL or Arena League? If not it will be pro football featuring players who were not good enough to make the CFL.
Old 01-26-18, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
It also tells me Vince is really bored with his own wrestling product. It shows in the sloppiness lately. The Raw 25th anniversary was utter shit.
I don't think Vince has ever liked wrestling.
Old 01-26-18, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The big uphill battle the XFL 2.0 has is the horrible reputation that XFL 1.0 had. Most people are just going to think it's gimmicky and weird like the first time and won't even give 2.0 a chance.

It would probably be better to change the name to something different and let someone else be the face of the league instead of McMahon. Need to distance themselves from XFL 1.0 more.

Also, starting the season in Jan/Feb might not be a great idea. I think when the NCAA/NFL seasons end, most people are burned out on football. It would be best to wait until late April/early May to start the season - by that time people will start to build their appetite for football again. They'll lose out on 2 months of not going head-to-head with baseball, but I think the burnout factor would be worse. Plus they would overlap less with hockey (if that makes any difference in the US).
Old 01-26-18, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No thanks, I'll pass on this nonsense.
Old 01-26-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only way the XFL will ever succeed is if they did what USFL did and actually get real talent to compete with the NFL. I actually watched the USFL just as much as the NFL from 1983-85 because they had stars like Herschel Walker, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, etc, so there were legit NFL type teams out there. The problem with the USFL is it expanded too fast and tried to go head to head in the Fall and that doomed the league.

The problem with the XFL was it had the stigma of WWE when you have announcers like Jesse Ventura, and it didn't have any real NFL talent. I don't see how this will be any different (although I'm sure that Vince McMahon will back off on the WWE tie-ins and try to make it seem more legit this time). I watch sports to see Steph Curry, Tom Brady, Clayton Kershaw, and Sidney Crosby, not He Hate Me.
Old 01-26-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since there is no chance they get even any kind of consistent NFL roster level talent, it seems his best bet would be to put these 8 teams in cities just outside of major markets (around here, Tacoma or Spokane), and/or in on-NFL major markets, and make sure those teams have as many "local stars" as possible. In this area there are many of great players, from NW colleges, that never made NFL rosters, or could stay on them full time. With the right kind of targeted marketing this could work.
Old 01-26-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seeing the press conference you can tell Vince learned his lesson from the failures of the first XFL. I was right in that this version will be a TV-PG version of football. I could see it stand out as being more of a developmental type of league for players to go to the NFL.
Old 01-26-18, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Since there is no chance they get even any kind of consistent NFL roster level talent, it seems his best bet would be to put these 8 teams in cities just outside of major markets (around here, Tacoma or Spokane), and/or in on-NFL major markets, and make sure those teams have as many "local stars" as possible. In this area there are many of great players, from NW colleges, that never made NFL rosters, or could stay on them full time. With the right kind of targeted marketing this could work.
I would guess Portland.OR in the Northwest.

Other guesses:
Boston
New York
Sacramento
Salt Lake City
Orlando
Birmingham,AL
Southern California(Anaheim)
Old 01-26-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sacramento is building a soccer stadium, it could also be used for an XFL team!
Old 01-26-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveNinja View Post
Sacramento is building a soccer stadium, it could also be used for an XFL team!
What about CFL(oh wait that failed already)?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.