Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Report: The XFL may be returning

Old 12-20-17, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Report: The XFL may be returning

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
The NFL really needs to figure a way to get a development league going, while I know NCAA is essentially it right now and maybe occasionally Arena Football or the CFL ... an actual league, even with a short schedule playing with NFL rules would be beneficial for football.
I feel the exact opposite,if your the NFL why wouldn't ya want people to get all their football fix on your watch in the build up to the season. If your fans are watching a spring league then it lessons the financial value of your preason games,combine workout's etc that all those hardcore junkies need until the season begins. The NFL need's their junkies desperate for a shot and willing to watch backup's from the Cleveland Brown and Cinci Bengals play 3 quarters in a preseason game.

Starting up a developmental league would be expensive and cut into your main business core profits and dilute that product. It would be like HBO creating a 3rd rate GOT knock off and airring it 3 month's after GOT for people going thru withdrawals.
Old 12-20-17, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He should just team up with Lavarr on that new basketball league Big Baller Brand is apparently creating.
Old 12-20-17, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The other issue with a D league is that they more and more it seems to matter just how many "miles" each player has left in them. Playing in a D league would only serve to lessen the number of miles each player would have left one they got to the big league.
Old 12-21-17, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't ever imagine the NFL starting their own minor league football system. College football provides that for them without doing anything and it's free to the NFL.

It would have been interesting if some well-funded businessman had this idea when the NFL first got rid of Tebow. I think a league in the South could have been started if Tebow was fronting it at the height of his popularity.
Old 12-21-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See: WLAF/NFLE for examples of NFL-sanctioned developmental leagues.
Old 12-21-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vince McMahon sells $100 million of WWE stock as XFL reboot plan continues

Rumors that Vince McMahon wants to reboot the XFL are officially more than just rumors.

Today the WWE revealed to the Securities and Exchange Commission that McMahon has sold about $100 million worth of stock, and that he did so “primarily to fund a separate entity from the Company, Alpha Entertainment LLC, which Mr. McMahon established to explore investment opportunities across the sports and entertainment landscapes, including professional football.”

Translation: McMahon wants to try to create a rival pro football league again. And now he has enough cash on hand to give it a go.

There had already been plenty of smoke around McMahon wanting to reboot the XFL, which crashed and burned after one season in 2001. Most of that smoke was about McMahon securing trademarks related to the XFL, trademarks that he previously abandoned because he thought he was out of the pro football business.

But securing a trademark is a far cry from selling off a huge amount of stock in the business McMahon has spent a lifetime building. This is a move that indicates McMahon very much wants to run a pro football league again, and will spend a lot of his own money to make it happen.

McMahon has said nothing publicly about his plans for a new league or when it could start play. He announced his plans for the first version of the XFL in early 2000, and that league began play in early 2001. So perhaps McMahon will announce XFL 2.0 in early 2018, and play will begin in early 2019.
Old 12-22-17, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 12-22-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wouldn't be shocked if McMahon revives this league and plays to the Pro-Anthem crowd of the NFL alienated this year, as the teams will be in all Red States. The West Virginia Army Rangers, The Texas Soldiers, The Florida B-1 Bombers, etc.
Old 12-22-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It will be interested in what cities get teams(and who owns them).

I always thought that Mark Cuban wanted to start up a new football league but that never happened.

Will they (XFL) be more interested in TV ratings or developing a potential team following in smaller markets ?
Old 12-22-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if McMahon revives this league and plays to the Pro-Anthem crowd of the NFL alienated this year, as the teams will be in all Red States. The West Virginia Army Rangers, The Texas Soldiers, The Florida B-1 Bombers, etc.
Vince couldn't possibly think those bigots, and their supposed superior patriotism, are willing to spend big bucks to see mediocre players. Even he seems to be smarter than that. If he does create a league it will have something better to market than this league is more 'merican.
Old 12-22-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Vince couldn't possibly think those bigots, and their supposed superior patriotism, are willing to spend big bucks to see mediocre players. Even he seems to be smarter than that. If he does create a league it will have something better to market than this league is more 'merican.
His wife is in Trump's cabinet.
Old 12-22-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
His wife is in Trump's cabinet.
And? That certainly helps in proving the bigots would be his target audience. But the point was that those people are not willing to give them big money to watch mediocre players.
Old 12-22-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If this happens, Vince's players will absolutely required to stand for the Anthem. Although I'm sure he would love to have someone defy him, so he can march right out there on the field and deliver a "YOU'RE FIIIIRREED!" on national TV. And the Trumpers would eat that up.
Old 01-25-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Announcement for something is supposed to be today.
Old 01-25-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if they will announce potential cities?
Old 01-25-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's official, XFL coming back in 2020

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...fl-return-2020
Old 01-25-18, 03:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

RULES OF NEW XFL

- National Anthem plays for entire game
- Referees replaced by off-duty cops
- The only penalty is Disrespecting the Troops
- Every team is called the Heterosexual American Patriots
Old 01-25-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That didn't take long:

Old 01-25-18, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm likely to give it a shot because it's football and I like football. There are a few things I like from what McMahon said at the presser.

1 - No gimmicks. Good, just give me football.

2 - Faster games -- love this. If games are only 2 hours that's great. The NFL is horrible with it's never ending commercials.

3 - no player with a criminal record -- truth be told, I don't really care about this all that much (or at least, not enough to stop watching the NFL) but it'll be interesting to see how this is handled. Ultimately, I like the idea of going for a clean cut image. Though it means no Johnny Manziel, who I for sure thought would be the headline player for this league. Maybe it'll be Tebow instead.

4 - Not rushing the product and allowing a year to practice. It may not be enough to close the gap in talent but it probably ensures that it's given more than a one and done chance.

Ultimately, I still believe it'll fail for the same reason the original XFL failed but I'm hoping the competition is decent enough that it makes the NFL take a step back and do what it can to be a better product.

My not so bold prediction for the league: Rex Ryan will be the first to sign up for a head coach job.
Old 01-25-18, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
RULES OF NEW XFL

- National Anthem plays for entire game
- Referees replaced by off-duty cops
- The only penalty is Disrespecting the Troops
- Every team is called the Heterosexual American Patriots
You stole that!
Old 01-25-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh good. #MFGA. None of those uppity...wait wrong forum. I look forward to watching "high energy guys" play.
Old 01-25-18, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean I guess it'll be easy to have shorter games if you don't need any commercial breaks...
Old 01-25-18, 05:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
You stole that!
Saw it all over Twitter and Facebook, not sure who gets credit.
Old 01-25-18, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I will watch. If it airs in spring/summer, it'll fill the football void. I mean there is baseball, which I love, but always good to have more sports programming.
Old 01-25-18, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I’m sure FS1 will make a bid. They need more live sports programming, especially during slow periods.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.