Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2017 NFL Regular Season Thread -- Week 13

Old 12-04-17, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2017 NFL Regular Season Thread -- Week 13

On a side note, I've got the post-game show on and need to know just what the hell is going on with Antonio Brown's left eyebrow? It looks like it is making a break for it and trying to escape up his forehead.
Old 12-04-17, 11:20 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I immediately said a prayer for Ryan as soon as I saw that hit and his body reaction. This looks like it will be a very serious injury.
Did you really?
Old 12-05-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Vontaze Burfict got Vontaze Burfict-ed.

I don't know how much JuJu Smith-Schuster is making on his rookie contract, but a significant portion of it is going to go to charity in the next few days.
He should not though, that was a legit hit. The broadcast booth needed to sthu about the hit part. The taunting part on the other hand they were totally right for laying into him for.

Now the hit on Brown on the end zone, that should be at least a 2 game suspension for clearly leading with his helmet. I'm amazed Brown got up like he did from that.
Old 12-05-17, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Schloob1 View Post
He should not though, that was a legit hit...
You might want to familiarize yourself with the Hines Ward Rule.

...The taunting part on the other hand they were totally right for laying into him for.
Agreed
Old 12-05-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He should not though, that was a legit hit. The broadcast booth needed to sthu about the hit part. The taunting part on the other hand they were totally right for laying into him for.

Now the hit on Brown on the end zone, that should be at least a 2 game suspension for clearly leading with his helmet. I'm amazed Brown got up like he did from that.
Both suspended, 1 game.
Old 12-05-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
You might want to familiarize yourself with the Hines Ward Rule.

Agreed
Except that rule says it has to be a blindside block, which I found this definition for: "when the blocker is moving toward, or parallel to, his own end line and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side." Seems that Burfict was running directly toward Juju, it's just that he wasn't looking at him. Juju didn't approach him from the side.
Old 12-05-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Steelers look like shit tonight.
If the Jaguars had a QB they would be the second best team in the AFC though they did clobber the Steelers in Pitt.

I would not be shocked if the Ravens beat them on Sun.
Old 12-05-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
If the Jaguars had a QB they would be the second best team in the AFC though they did clobber the Steelers in Pitt.

I would not be shocked if the Ravens beat them on Sun.
The Ravens are on a roll and are hungry for a wildcard, and the Steelers are due for a loss - so I can easily see the Ravens winning.
Old 12-06-17, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Except that rule says it has to be a blindside block, which I found this definition for: "when the blocker is moving toward, or parallel to, his own end line and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side." Seems that Burfict was running directly toward Juju, it's just that he wasn't looking at him. Juju didn't approach him from the side.
Yep, agreed.

I keep replaying the hit over and over, and I see his shoulder make initial and primarily hit him dead on in the left chest towards his armpit. In no way does he hit him directly in the neck or head AT ALL. And for him to get the same suspension for the guy that hit AB is a joke. That was CLEARLY a hit lead with the helmet into AB's helmet. I'm still amazed how AB got up from that.
Old 12-06-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Chiefs suspend CB Marcus Peters for this Sunday's game against Oakland. His penalty and behavior at the end of the Jets game was a part of the reason they lost. Derelle Revis will probably play the whole game now.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ame-vs-raiders
Old 12-06-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Yep, agreed.

I keep replaying the hit over and over, and I see his shoulder make initial and primarily hit him dead on in the left chest towards his armpit. In no way does he hit him directly in the neck or head AT ALL.
The NFL disagrees with you both:

In his letter to Smith-Schuster notifying him of the suspension, NFL VP of Football Operations Jon Runyan wrote:

“You are suspended for the dangerous and unsportsmanlike acts you committed during the fourth quarter of last night’s game. Specifically, with 7:10 remaining, on a passing play to a running back, you lined up a defender and delivered a violent and unnecessary blindside shot to his head and neck area. You then “celebrated” the play by standing over him and taunting him. The contact you made with your opponent placed the opposing player at risk of serious injury and could have been avoided. Your conduct following the hit fell far below the high standards of sportsmanship expected of an NFL player.”
Blindside shot.

To his head.

Source: https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/4/1...eelers-bengals
Old 12-06-17, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Additional Info from the 2017 NFL Rulebook
Section 2, Article 7-a-10:

ARTICLE 7. PLAYERS IN A DEFENSELESS POSTURE. It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
(10) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.

Section 2, Article 7-b-1:
(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him
There is no reference in 7-a-10 to any requirement that the hit be from behind or the side. The blocker was moving toward or parallel to his own end line, which by definition placed his target in a defenseless posture. The contact was made by the blocker's helmet and/or shoulder, and struck the defenseless player's head/neck area. It is immaterial whether the initial contact started in the chest and "slid up" into the head/neck or whether it was directly to the head/neck, because both cases are specifically addressed by 7-b-1.

The hit was a specifically prohibited act. The flag was justified.

Old 12-06-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it was a dirty hit with a stand over. the suspension is justified. period
Old 12-06-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Goodell just signed a 5 year $200M extension. Damn.
Old 12-06-17, 04:41 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Goodell just signed a 5 year $200M extension. Damn.

Yea you could see that coming from a mile away. As long as he continues to fill the owners pockets, he’s not going anywhere
Old 12-06-17, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, who else could negotiate rich television deals for the NFL owners?

Spoiler:
Anybody.
Old 12-06-17, 04:43 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Additional Info from the 2017 NFL Rulebook

There is no reference in 7-a-10 to any requirement that the hit be from behind or the side. The blocker was moving toward or parallel to his own end line, which by definition placed his target in a defenseless posture. The contact was made by the blocker's helmet and/or shoulder, and struck the defenseless player's head/neck area. It is immaterial whether the initial contact started in the chest and "slid up" into the head/neck or whether it was directly to the head/neck, because both cases are specifically addressed by 7-b-1.

The hit was a specifically prohibited act. The flag was justified.

Can’t wait until he gets paid back. Someone stands over him and celebrates.
Old 12-06-17, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ManfromCyrodiil View Post
Did you really?
Yes, why wouldn't I? Never heard of you before but if your other 100 are as stupid as this one I doubt I ever will again.
Old 12-06-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Strong recommendation for this wonderful and hilarious article in The Ringer about the Chargers in L.A.

The Football Team Without a Home

There was a moment in the first half of Sunday’s Browns-Chargers game when the home team gave out the new U2 album to a section of fans. (Yes, there’s a new U2 album.) The symbolism was so on-the-nose it barely seemed real. After spending years as the most popular musical act on the planet, the band became a punch line when they forced their way onto your iPhone. No one wanted them, but they gave consumers no choice. And now the team nobody asked for in the country’s most popular sport was giving out their new album.

I went to a Chargers game. This is my story.
Old 12-06-17, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Move them to Toronto. Move any team to Toronto.
Old 12-06-17, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
it was a dirty hit with a stand over. the suspension is justified. period
I like how the some pundits argue it wasn't justified — by comparing it to the one game Gronk got — focusing on the hit (which was bad) but curiously not mentioning the whole taunting part.
Old 12-06-17, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So George Iloka's suspension is reduced to a fine. That makes no sense.
Old 12-06-17, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Probably not a good sign we haven't heard any reputable news on shaziers injury, given it's been 48 hours and he's obviously not up and walking around (I think we would have heard that). Looks like that is one of the magic numbers on the spinal cord concussion issues, it usually resolves by that amount of time, if not, it's more likely to be a more significant & lasting injury.
Old 12-07-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Don't know if the injury Shazier inflicted upon his spine was caused just by the way he used his helmet to drive into the opposing player in this specific incident, or if his spine finally got pushed over the edge due to the cumulative effect of all of his helmet-first tackles over the years.

Overall he's a pretty good player, but I have never cared for his tackling style and have seen too many players have to leave the field - some concussed - based primarily upon the specific technique Shazier prefers. The impact of so many helmet-first tackles was eventually going to take its toll on his own body, and while he hasn't ended anyone else's career yet - thankfully - I believe it's possible that his aggression has just ended his own.
Old 12-07-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Don't know if the injury Shazier inflicted upon his spine was caused just by the way he used his helmet to drive into the opposing player in this specific incident, or if his spine finally got pushed over the edge due to the cumulative effect of all of his helmet-first tackles over the years.

Overall he's a pretty good player, but I have never cared for his tackling style and have seen too many players have to leave the field - some concussed - based primarily upon the specific technique Shazier prefers. The impact of so many helmet-first tackles was eventually going to take its toll on his own body, and while he hasn't ended anyone else's career yet - thankfully - I believe it's possible that his aggression has just ended his own.
Sub-consciously or not, it reads like your posts are defending the past transgressions of Burfict and condemning everybody else's questionable hits. Fuck Burfict... he's a bad guy and a cheap-shot artist (has been since college). I hope Shazier is ok and I hope Burfict can reflect on his bullshit play after he was blown up.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.