Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2017-18 College Football Off-Season Thread

Old 11-24-17, 03:15 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

2017-18 College Football Off-Season Thread

With the regular season closing for most teams after this weekend, figure it was time to start this thread.

Rumor round up so far:

Texas A&M will fire Kevin Sumlin after the LSU game.

Florida has moved on from Chip Kelly and Kelly will most likely end up at UCLA

Florida has moved onto UCF head coach Scott Frost, which will soon cause rivers of tears in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Old 11-24-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017-18 College Football Off-Season Thread

Despite his disasterous tenure in the NFL, I love the UCLA hire of Chip Kelly if it happens.

I pray that Kansas moves on from David Beatty. If a 3-30 record didn't seal his fate, last week's embarrassing show of poor sportsmanship against the Sooners should have done the trick.
Old 11-24-17, 06:50 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Arkansas has fired Bielema.

Jen Bielema’s mentions on Twitter are about to blow up
Old 11-25-17, 10:59 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Chip Kelly and UCLA have reportedly reached an agreement for Kelly to become their new head coach.

Mike Riley is meeting with the Nebraska AD this morning.
Old 11-25-17, 11:27 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Mike Riley is meeting with the Nebraska AD this morning.
Update: Fired

Nebraska fans will be wishing for Scott Frost to come home, but I can’t see him turning down Florida for Nebraska, even if he is an Nebraska alum.

The move to the B1G killed any chance of them being relevant in the national scene again.
Old 11-25-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mike Riley was FIRED????? THE HELL YOU SAY!!!!!

I'm shocked - SHOCKED I SAY!!!!

I mean, it's not like everyone said that he gladly took the Nebraska job because he was about to get fired by Oregon State. It's not like everyone said it was one of the worst possible hires Nebraska could make. It's not like everyone said that hire made no sense.

Oh, wait. Yes it is.

Who DIDN'T see this coming the moment that Nebraska announced his hiring? I mean, he was failing at Oregon State! He was on a really hot seat, and Nebraska hired him anyway.

Sometimes AD's are idiots. Like SDSU's AD hiring Chuck Long to be Head Coach instead of Jimbo Fisher who the search firm recommended (and was available and hirable at the time). Chuck Long as an offensive coordinator at Oklahoma didn't even come up with his own playbook! He just continued to use the one developed by his former co-offensive coordinator. Chuck Long may be one of the worst coaches in the history of football at any level. And SDSU's then AD hired him on a hunch after a good interview, over the suggestion of a professional search firm that he hired!

That move was just as bad as Nebraska's hiring of Mike Riley - it was obvious to most people that Riley was going to fail.

Yeah, AD's do some really stupid stuff.
Old 11-25-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Update: Fired

The move to the B1G killed any chance of them being relevant in the national scene again.
Could you please elaborate? The move killed their historic rivalry with Oklahoma but I don't think it hurt them in the National picture.
Old 11-25-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe in how they can recruit? Probably took them out of Texas and Oklahoma. And how can they compete against the traditional B1G powers in the Midwest? They can’t live off homegrown talent.
Old 11-25-17, 12:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Could you please elaborate? The move killed their historic rivalry with Oklahoma but I don't think it hurt them in the National picture.
They lost a lot of their traditional recruiting areas and have had to fight with teams like Iowa and Michigan St for Ohio kids Michigan and Ohio St don’t want.
Old 11-25-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some of that has to be the coaching post Osborne as well .. legendary coach can usually recruit anywhere.

But I agree the conference move hurt them .. instead of competing with essentially Oklahoma and Texas ... they have to compete with the Big 10 ... add to that teams like TCU, OK State, have elevated themselves enough to compete south of Nebraska.
Old 11-25-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Osborne way of football will be tough to recreate these days regardless of who the coach is. How many top players list Nebraska as a destination they desire? There is way too much competition from the top half of the Big 10 and others universities that are chasing the best players. Frost will likely go to Florida or Nebraska and he could see his career fizzle out at either one of them. The odds are stacked further against him at Nebraska. He could also just forego all of that and stay at UCF. Who knows?!
Old 11-26-17, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post

I pray that Kansas moves on from David Beatty. If a 3-30 record didn't seal his fate, last week's embarrassing show of poor sportsmanship against the Sooners should have done the trick.
And of course, KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger gives Beatty his full endorsement and confirms that he will be back next year despite his less-than-stellar 3-33 record over 3 years which includes one, count 'em, one win over a FBS school (shame on you, Charlie Strong and Texas) and an Division 1 all-time record 47 (and counting) consecutive road losses (though to be fair, Beatty is only responsible for 18 of them as he has only coached 18 road games in his illustrious career, including a 58-17 drubbing at the hands of OSU in Stillwater today). Apparently Zenger thinks the new facilities that super-booster David Booth (unwitting star of "There's No Place Like Home" 30 for 30) paid for with a $50M gift will somehow make KU a football powerhouse and make Beatty a good coach. I strongly doubt it. Though on the other hand, I imagine it's going to be very difficult (and very expensive) to get even a half-way decent college coach or hot assistant to even look at KU.

I mean, I know we are a basketball school and have been unbelievably blessed for a long, long time. I know it will be a long time before we have any sort of a decent football program in place. I just think it sends a bad message to bring back a guy this objectively terrible after a very fair three year tenure.
Old 11-26-17, 11:06 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Arizona St. fires Todd Graham.
Old 11-26-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Arizona St. fires Todd Graham.
By text message no less. I was on the fence if he should be fired, but that's just classless.

Reports are we will hire Sumlin when he's fired/quits.
Old 11-26-17, 01:43 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Greg Schiano is reportedly the hire for Tennessee. I’m sure Urban is loving the timing of this.
Old 11-26-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
By text message no less. I was on the fence if he should be fired, but that's just classless.

Reports are we will hire Sumlin when he's fired/quits.
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/todd-graham-bails-on-pitt-via-text-message-and-pitt-players-do-not-take-it-well?urn=ncaaf,wp11501

What’s good for the goose, I guess
Old 11-26-17, 03:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Saw the comments from the ASU AD.

He said the salary will be middle of the pack with “aggressively fair” bonuses and he would like for him to keep the current OC and DC. Good luck with that
Old 11-26-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Saw the comments from the ASU AD.

He said the salary will be middle of the pack with “aggressively fair” bonuses and he would like for him to keep the current OC and DC. Good luck with that
Yeah, all the local guys who provide info on the team are roasting him for the keeping of the coordinators.
Old 11-26-17, 03:47 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Sumlin officially out at A&M.
Old 11-26-17, 03:49 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, sounds like Dan Mullen is leaving Miss. St. for Florida.

That has to make Nebraska fans happy.
Old 11-26-17, 04:29 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

A&M reportedly has a deal with Jimbo Fisher for $7.5 million a year. Wonder if Frost is a big enough name for FSU?
Old 11-26-17, 04:44 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Greg Schiano is reportedly the hire for Tennessee. I’m sure Urban is loving the timing of this.
Apparently, because of the fan outrage, Schiano is having second thoughts.
Old 11-26-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Apparently, because of the fan outrage, Schiano is having second thoughts.
Tennessee fans do want Schiano.
Old 11-26-17, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He's no more guilty than people running our government. Florida is stupid if they paid 7 million a year to Mullen like the rumors have said. I know he didn't leave State for chump change. Also, I would be fine with Schiano at UT because it would be basically a continuation of Butch Jones.
Old 11-26-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
He's no more guilty than people running our government. Florida is stupid if they paid 7 million a year to Mullen like the rumors have said. I know he didn't leave State for chump change. Also, I would be fine with Schiano at UT because it would be basically a continuation of Butch Jones.
It looks like the fans ran Schiano off.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.