Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for to be inducted into the HOF in 2018?
Barry Bonds
58.06%
Chris Carpenter
0%
Roger Clemens
61.29%
Johnny Damon
3.23%
Vladimir Guerrero
74.19%
Trevor Hoffman
54.84%
Andruw Jones
9.68%
Chipper Jones
80.65%
Jeff Kent
3.23%
Edgar Martinez
70.97%
Hideki Matsui
6.45%
Fred McGriff
35.48%
Jamie Moyer
3.23%
Mike Mussina
45.16%
Manny Ramirez
29.03%
Scott Rolen
6.45%
Johan Santana
6.45%
Curt Schilling
35.48%
Gary Sheffield
19.35%
Sammy Sosa
9.68%
Jim Thome
48.39%
Omar Vizquel
25.81%
Billy Wagner
3.23%
Larry Walker
19.35%
Other (Include in your post)
6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

The 2018 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Old 11-20-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 2018 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

It's that time of year again! The 2018 Hall of Fame ballot was released recently.

The question--Who would you vote for if you had the ballot in your hand?

The rules are the same for you, as it is for the writers. You can only vote for a maximum of 10 players. Also, if you want to predict who you actually think will be voted in, that's fine. But the poll is for your personal picks.

My apologies to the friends and family of Livan Hernandez, Orlando Hudson, Aubrey Huff, Jason Isringhausen, Carlos Lee, Brad Lidge, Kevin Millwood, Kerry Wood and Carlos Zambrano. If you want to vote for any of those guys, I left you an "other" option in the poll.

Here are your returnees, along with the percentages they received a year ago:

Trevor Hoffman, 74.0%, 3rd year
Vladimir Guerrero, 71.7%, 2nd year
Edgar Martínez, 58.6%, 9th year
Roger Clemens, 54.1%, 6th year
Barry Bonds, 53.8%, 6th year
Mike Mussina, 51.8%, 5th year
Curt Schilling, 45.0%, 6th year
Manny Ramírez, 23.8%, 2nd year
Larry Walker, 21.9%, 8th year
Fred McGriff, 21.7%, 9th year
Jeff Kent, 16.7%, 5th year
Gary Sheffield, 13.3%, 4th year
Billy Wagner, 10.2%, 3rd year
Sammy Sosa, 8.6%, 6th year
Old 11-20-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2018 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

And looking ahead, here's some selected candidates and the year in which they are eligible:

2019: Lance Berkman, Roy Halladay, Todd Helton, Roy Oswalt, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Michael Young

2020: Derek Jeter, Paul Konerko, Alfonso Soriano

2021: Tim Hudson, Torii Hunter, Aramis Ramirez and others.

2022: Prince Fielder, David Ortiz, Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira

2023: Not yet posted on the HOF site.
Old 11-20-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other: Peter Edward Rose.
Old 11-20-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had 7 holdovers from my personal ballot last year:

Barry Bonds
Roger Clemens
Vladimir Guerrero
Trevor Hoffman
Edgar Martinez
Manny Ramirez
Curt Schilling

I'll add Chipper, Rolen, Thome.

It's another crowded ballot. Seems like Hoffman & Guerrero pick up enough votes to slide in. Chipper & Thome seem like locks as well. I think that ends up being it.
Old 11-20-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I look forward to this thread every year! I was thinking about it when the "old-timers" recently came up in the general HOF thread.

Last year's thread with our picks
Old 11-20-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've got
Bonds
Clemons
Vlad
Hoffman
Chipper
Edgar
Shilling
Thome

If I were an actual voter, I would decide between the others than I think are borderline like McGriff, Rolen and Moose (as well as try to get over my apprehensions about Manny and his repeated PED uses -- he's closer to McGwire to me than Bonds when it comes to PED vs production), but for now, those 8 feel right.
Old 11-20-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My list is:

Bonds
Clemens
Vlad
Hoffman
Chipper
Mussina
Manny
Schilling
Thome

Clearly I have no problem with the steroid boys. I think their talent was enough to be an elite player without the steroids (which I don't think can be said for guys like McGwire, Sosa, and Palmeiro). In the real vote, it's clear Manny has no shot though ... but Bonds and Clemens are creeping up there.

I'm on the fence about Edgar, and don't have a problem with him being voted in. For someone being judged purely on the merits on his hitting, it seems to me the counting stats have to be a bit more dominant (like Papi's 541 HRs and 1700+ RBIs, plus the rings). But WAR has Edgar higher than Papi, and his defensive numbers as a third baseman were suprisingly solid.

Moose is trending up. Doesn't have the dominant seasons, and was never a guy who you thought of as being the best pitcher in the league. But really good for a long period of time. With the exception of Clemens, no one has a higher career WAR and isn't in the HoF.

I've always been voting for Schilling in these polls, but it seems he's losing traction. Maybe it's the politics? Doesn't have the greatest counting stats, but he has the dominant seasons (especially in the playoffs). Doesn't seem fair to penalize a guy for the (mis)fortune of having an all-time great pitcher as a teammate, making him the second best pitcher on his team for his best seasons.
Old 11-20-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way, it was kind of "homerish" to include Carpenter in the poll. I have no allusions of him making the HOF.

On the other hand, I do believe Scott Rolen has a strong case. I'm a little concerned about his candidacy because of the number of quality guys on the ballot. He's not one of the top 10 players on this list, so it stands to reason that his percentage will be low. Hopefully he doesn't suffer an unjust 1-and-done fate and can outlast the names on this list to get a fair shot.
Old 11-20-17, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
On the other hand, I do believe Scott Rolen has a strong case. I'm a little concerned about his candidacy because of the number of quality guys on the ballot. He's not one of the top 10 players on this list, so it stands to reason that his percentage will be low. Hopefully he doesn't suffer an unjust 1-and-done fate and can outlast the names on this list to get a fair shot.
Rolen has a case and deserves better than one-and-done. He has more longevity than you think, putting up multiple All-Star caliber seasons over a 15 year span. Really good hitter, great fielder, at a position that isn't well represented in the Hall. The only third basemen with a higher career WAR are 2 guys who are locks when they're eligible (Beltre and Chipper).

I followed Rolen's career back when he started with the Phillies (which is where I'm from). I think his problem is that there's the general impression that, despite his accomplishments, his career underachieved. So many seasons he lost weeks due to injury. In 1998 at age 23 his triple crown numbers were 31/110/0.290 and he won a Gold Glove. We thought he was going to be the next great third baseman. At the time there were a lot of comparisons to Chipper Jones ... and many were picking Rolen to be the future Hall of Famer of that duo. But Chipper would win an MVP and a batting title and play at an All-Star level until 40. And for Rolen, with the exception of his MVP run in 2004 for the Cards (where he seemed a lock to win it until fading down the stretch), 1998 was his best season.
Old 11-20-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would never vote for a steroid guy.
Old 11-20-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bonds, Clemens, Hoffman, Edgar, Moose from last year's list

Chipper and Thome from this year
Old 11-20-17, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I'm on the fence about Edgar, and don't have a problem with him being voted in. For someone being judged purely on the merits on his hitting, it seems to me the counting stats have to be a bit more dominant (like Papi's 541 HRs and 1700+ RBIs, plus the rings). But WAR has Edgar higher than Papi, and his defensive numbers as a third baseman were suprisingly solid.
I've always been pro-Edgar. He started late, which is a big reason he doesn't have the counting stats, plus he had a shit ton of walks. He was one of the top 5 hitters in the league for a long time. And he didn't switch to DHing because his defense was bad, IIRC it was because of injuries.
Old 11-21-17, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Curt Schilling-Despite being a dbag dude was an elite level pitcher for many years
Omar Vizquel-Top 3-5 ever defensively at SS
Vlad-Would be first ballot witht he same resume playing for Cards,Cubs,Dodgers or a team from giant northeastern market
Roger Clemens-One of the best pitchers ever
Bonds-Top 3-5 hitter ever
McGriff-Bonus points for Tom Emansky video's
Manny-12 time all star 9x silver slugger 1st ballot hof resume
Edgar Ramirez-If he played his entire career as a below average 1st baseman(easiest fielding position)he would be in the HOF already with his batting stats.Not sure why DH spot should be punsished so much
Old 11-21-17, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And Joe Morgan sends the following out to HOF voters regarding a desire to keep steroid users out of the HOF.

Dear BBWAA Hall of Fame Voter:

Over the years, I have been approached by many Hall of Fame members telling me we needed to do something to speak out about the possibility of steroid users entering the Hall of Fame. This issue has been bubbling below the surface for quite a while.

I hope you don’t mind if I bring to your attention what I’m hearing.

Please keep in mind I don’t speak for every single member of the Hall of Fame. I don’t know how everyone feels, but I do know how many of the Hall of Famers feel.

I, along with other Hall of Fame Baseball players, have the deepest respect for you and all the writers who vote to decide who enters Baseball’s most hallowed shrine, the National Baseball Hall of Fame. For some 80 years, the men and women of the BBWAA have cast ballots that have made the Hall into the wonderful place it is.

I think the Hall of Fame is special. There is a sanctity to being elected to the Hall. It is revered. It is the hardest Hall of Fame to enter, of any sport in America.

But times change, and a day we all knew was coming has now arrived. Players who played during the steroid era have become eligible for entry into the Hall of Fame.

The more we Hall of Famers talk about this – and we talk about it a lot – we realize we can no longer sit silent. Many of us have come to think that silence will be considered complicity. Or that fans might think we are ok if the standards of election to the Hall of Fame are relaxed, at least relaxed enough for steroid users to enter and become members of the most sacred place in Baseball. We don’t want fans ever to think that.

We hope the day never comes when known steroid users are voted into the Hall of Fame. They cheated. Steroid users don’t belong here.

Players who failed drug tests, admitted using steroids, or were identified as users in Major League Baseball’s investigation into steroid abuse, known as the Mitchell Report, should not get in. Those are the three criteria that many of the players and I think are right.

Now, I recognize there are players identified as users on the Mitchell Report who deny they were users. That’s why this is a tricky issue. Not everything is black and white – there are shades of gray here. It’s why your job as a voter is and has always been a difficult and important job. I have faith in your judgment and know that ultimately, this is your call.

But it still occurs to me that anyone who took body-altering chemicals in a deliberate effort to cheat the game we love, not to mention they cheated current and former players, and fans too, doesn’t belong in the Hall of Fame. By cheating, they put up huge numbers, and they made great players who didn’t cheat look smaller by comparison, taking away from their achievements and consideration for the Hall of Fame. That’s not right.

And that’s why I, and other Hall of Famers, feel so strongly about this.
It’s gotten to the point where Hall of Famers are saying that if steroid users get in, they’ll no longer come to Cooperstown for Induction Ceremonies or other events. Some feel they can’t share a stage with players who did steroids. The cheating that tainted an era now risks tainting the Hall of Fame too.
It's interesting that this comes now after several of these guys have been on the ballot for years. Guess as those players have started gaining momentum, Morgan wanted to address it.
Old 11-21-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Curt Schilling-Despite being a dbag dude was an elite level pitcher for many years
Vlad-Would be first ballot witht he same resume playing for Cards,Cubs,Dodgers or a team from giant northeastern market
Edgar Ramirez-If he played his entire career as a below average 1st baseman(easiest fielding position)he would be in the HOF already with his batting stats.Not sure why DH spot should be punsished so much
Edgar Ramirez???
Old 11-21-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Morgan know Bonds and Clemens will be elected in the next few years but there is nothing he can do about it. For the Hall of Fame it will probably be the most watched/attended induction ceremony in a long time.
Old 11-21-17, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
that is a strange list.
Old 11-21-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I feel like Morgan's letter either won't have any effect since voters have already made up their mind on how they treat steroid users, or have the opposite effect.
Old 11-21-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Morgan know Bonds and Clemens will be elected in the next few years but there is nothing he can do about it. For the Hall of Fame it will probably be the most watched/attended induction ceremony in a long time.
I'm not sure they will be elected. I think there is a large bloc of voters who will never ever vote for them and no amount of revisiting history is going to change that. So the question is how big is the most staunch of that bloc? If it's greater than 25% of voters...
Old 11-21-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To me, the most interesting part of Morgan's letter was:

It’s gotten to the point where Hall of Famers are saying that if steroid users get in, they’ll no longer come to Cooperstown for Induction Ceremonies or other events.
I'm with LurkerDan. I'm not sure the questionable guys get the votes they need, despite the fact they've gained some traction in recent years. But if one of them did, would these old-school players follow through with this "threat"?
Old 11-21-17, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Joe Morgan is a colossal D-bag.

Cooperstown Induction Ceremonies would be better off if he and his fellow D-bag Schmidt never showed up again.
Old 11-21-17, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the big problem, one that Morgan doesn't seem intellectually honest enough to answer, is "who are the steroid guys". Are Piazza and Pudge? Bags? Or is it just Bonds, Clemens, etc? Where is the line drawn? And what happens if you vote in someone who was over the line? Or maybe even worse, deny entry to someone deserving because of "suspicions" when in reality, they were clean?

It's a very tough call either way. I try to vote (not that my vote counts) based on who deserves entry, and if they are a known steroid guy, whether I think they deserve entry without taking steroids (a hard standard to apply). So, for ex, Bonds and Clemens both get in, because I think they'd be HoFers without the steroids, but Sosa/Palmeiro/McGwire don't.
Old 11-22-17, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bonds and Clemens have seen increases of 20% the last two years, there is plenty of momentum and they have 5 years which is plenty to get in.
Old 11-22-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the voters have to put all of the pitchers from the 90's/00's era in a different perspective, because 300 wins is just not a realistic stat anymore. Guys like Pedro, Schilling, and Halladay are all just over 200 wins, and I wonder if many voters won't even think about voting for them because they feel that is too far away from 300?
Old 11-22-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I think the voters have to put all of the pitchers from the 90's/00's era in a different perspective, because 300 wins is just not a realistic stat anymore. Guys like Pedro, Schilling, and Halladay are all just over 200 wins, and I wonder if many voters won't even think about voting for them because they feel that is too far away from 300?
Pedro is, notably, already in the Hall of Fame.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.