Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who would you vote for to be inducted into the HOF in 2018?
Barry Bonds
58.06%
Chris Carpenter
0%
Roger Clemens
61.29%
Johnny Damon
3.23%
Vladimir Guerrero
74.19%
Trevor Hoffman
54.84%
Andruw Jones
9.68%
Chipper Jones
80.65%
Jeff Kent
3.23%
Edgar Martinez
70.97%
Hideki Matsui
6.45%
Fred McGriff
35.48%
Jamie Moyer
3.23%
Mike Mussina
45.16%
Manny Ramirez
29.03%
Scott Rolen
6.45%
Johan Santana
6.45%
Curt Schilling
35.48%
Gary Sheffield
19.35%
Sammy Sosa
9.68%
Jim Thome
48.39%
Omar Vizquel
25.81%
Billy Wagner
3.23%
Larry Walker
19.35%
Other (Include in your post)
6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

The 2018 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Old 11-22-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2018 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Bonds and Clemens have seen increases of 20% the last two years, there is plenty of momentum and they have 5 years which is plenty to get in.
You're assuming that the electorate acts the same with them that they act towards "normal" candidates. I don't think that is a proper assumption, I think voters don't view them or think about them or vote for them in the same way as they would for other candidates.
Old 12-22-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is interesting. Here's the results from the guy who tracks ballots that have been revealed.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...AAsz3uDsmqy_Vw

With 88 ballots revealed/~21.2% of the vote known:
Chipper - 98%
Thome - 97%
Vlad - 93%
Edgar 86%
Hoffman - 78%
-----
Clemens - 74%
Bonds - 73%
Mussina - 73%
Schilling - 69%
Walker - 41%
Vizquel - 28%⬇️
Manny - 28%
McGriff - 16%
Rolen - 11%⬇️

Obviously, these percentages will drop for the most part (has me concerned for Rolen). Last year at this time, Edgar Martinez was at 65% and finished at 58%. Still looks to confirm it will be a big year for several guys.
Old 12-22-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Never followed that before -- have Bonds and Clemens ever tracked so high?
Old 12-23-17, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
No
Old 12-23-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eh, only 21% of the ballots are known. Besides Chipper Jones and Jim Thome, I wouldn't begin writing my induction speech.

Personally I'd love to see a big group make it.
Old 12-26-17, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Many of the ballots that don't go public on the tracker are against steroids. While Bonds and Clemens have never tracked this high before, they always drop significantly in the final vote. It does look like the voters are softening on steroids. Once Bonds and Clemens are in, why not A-Rod? It's going to end up where almost every deserving roider makes it in the Hall of Fame the way things are going.

The Joe Morgan letter was really addressed to voters about Bonds and Clemens. Many current HOFers plan to skip those entire induction weeks if Bonds and Clemens make it.

The lack of support for Johan Santana is shocking. While I didn't think he would make the HOF, I thought his record was easily good enough to hang around on the ballot for a few years. Playing for the Twins hurt his candidacy, because a similar career for a big market team on the East or West Coast would have given him far more support.
Old 12-28-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Many of the ballots that don't go public on the tracker are against steroids. While Bonds and Clemens have never tracked this high before, they always drop significantly in the final vote. It does look like the voters are softening on steroids. Once Bonds and Clemens are in, why not A-Rod? It's going to end up where almost every deserving roider makes it in the Hall of Fame the way things are going.
While I do think Bonds and Clemens will make another large jump, probably into the low to mid 60's and eventual HOF in 2019 or 2020 I do not think every deserving roider will make it in to the HOF, or even what a deserving roider is. Bonds and Clemens are exceptions because they were top tier players steroids or not. It will be much harder for a Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro, Sheffield etc. to get in and the way it looks now the special committee will have to let them in years from now and it sure seems a lot of players don't want them in. A-Rod might end up similar to Clemens and Bonds and have to wait it out 5+ years before he is voted in.
Old 12-28-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I think Bonds, Clemens and A-Rod eventually make it in and the rest never do.

It's hard to keep those three out when guys like Piazza, Pudge and Bagwell are in and we're not 100% sure they were clean the entire time.

The interesting one will be David Ortiz. He'd make it in if not for that supposedly annonomous test that got made public. He doesn't have a Bonds or A-Rod level resume. He's a coin flip, but he's lucky that those guys would be let in before him so the precedent will be set.
Old 12-28-17, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My picks. I added the new guys and Mussina to last year's choices. I went a little out there with Santana, but he was so good at his peak.

Vladimir Guerrero
Trevor Hoffman
Chipper Jones
Edgar Martinez
Mike Mussina
Johan Santana
Jim Thome
Old 12-28-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yeah, I think Bonds, Clemens and A-Rod eventually make it in and the rest never do.

It's hard to keep those three out when guys like Piazza, Pudge and Bagwell are in and we're not 100% sure they were clean the entire time.

The interesting one will be David Ortiz. He'd make it in if not for that supposedly annonomous test that got made public. He doesn't have a Bonds or A-Rod level resume. He's a coin flip, but he's lucky that those guys would be let in before him so the precedent will be set.
Ortiz is going in on the first or second ballot as long as he doesn't go O.J. in the next five years. He's immensely popular with the writers and he was the main personality on Fox's playoff baseball coverage.

Never underestimate how staying in the limelight after retirement is a great boon for marginal Hall of Fame cases. I think John Smoltz's work on MLB Network moved him from eventual Hall of Famer after a few years to first-ballot inductee.
Old 12-29-17, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's amazing how Ortiz just slid by any criticism during the Steroid Era, and I think it's two-fold: He is from Boston, and those writers are the biggest kiss asses in the world, and he is likeable compared to Bonds and Clemens.

The writers know that Ortiz was on that secret list of 103 players who failed a Steroid list in 2003. Here are the big name players that are on it as it was leaked a few years ago:

A-Rod (His name was leaked in 2009 and he confirmed it)
David Ortiz
Manny Ramirez
Roger Clemens
Barry Bonds
Pedro Martinez
Nomar Garciappara
Johnny Damon
Derek Lowe
Alfonso Soriano
Andy Petitte
Miguel Tejada
Juan Gonzalez
Rafael Palmeiro
Bobby Abreu
Roberto Alomar
Moises Alou
Sammy Sosa
Carlos Zambrano
Kerry Wood
Mark Price
Felix Rodriquez
Adrian Beltre
Todd Helton
Luis Gonzalez
Ryan Klesko
Old 12-29-17, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pedro?
Adrian Beltre?

I'd never heard those names linked before.
Old 12-29-17, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pedro?
Adrian Beltre?

I'd never heard those names linked before.
The list has never been publicly acknowledged (except for A-Rod's name leaking in 2009 and he confirmed it). The list has been online for years, as most of the players don't surprise me on that list.

Pedro was utterly dominant for 5-6 years, just as Clemens was in the late 90's so there is no way that Pedro wasn't juicing. No doubt in my mind that Beltre was juicing as he could see his physique get bigger through the years. Sadly, you could pretty much say that every great player during the mid 90's-mid 00's was juicing, as the only great players that were never confirmed in any report like this or the Mitchell Report were Jeter, Frank Thomas, Schiling and Jim Thome. (That is off the top of my head).
Old 12-29-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

... and Griffy. And, as someone I'd met personally on several occasions during that time period, I'm fairly confident Greg Maddox.
Old 12-29-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Sammy Sosa
Carlos Zambrano
Kerry Wood
Mark Price
Mark Price the Cavs guard? Or Mark Prior with the other Cubs?
Old 12-29-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
It's amazing how Ortiz just slid by any criticism during the Steroid Era, and I think it's two-fold: He is from Boston, and those writers are the biggest kiss asses in the world, and he is likeable compared to Bonds and Clemens.

The writers know that Ortiz was on that secret list of 103 players who failed a Steroid list in 2003. Here are the big name players that are on it as it was leaked a few years ago:

A-Rod (His name was leaked in 2009 and he confirmed it)
David Ortiz
Manny Ramirez
Roger Clemens
Barry Bonds
Pedro Martinez
Nomar Garciappara
Johnny Damon
Derek Lowe
Alfonso Soriano
Andy Petitte
Miguel Tejada
Juan Gonzalez
Rafael Palmeiro
Bobby Abreu
Roberto Alomar
Moises Alou
Sammy Sosa
Carlos Zambrano
Kerry Wood
Mark Price
Felix Rodriquez
Adrian Beltre
Todd Helton
Luis Gonzalez
Ryan Klesko
No paper has ever published the list but it has definitely circulated among reporters. This was the PED testing that was supposed to be completely anonymous - MLB supposedly wanted numbers on how many players were using in the game.

None of the names on the list shock me one bit, except maybe Todd Helton. Helton did fall off a cliff offensively after testing was introduced in 2006. Many of them had startling physique transformations in the middle of their careers, even Ryan Klesko.

You have to pretty much assume every Latin star during the PED era was using them - steroids just aren't regulated in those countries like they are here and Latin American sources are plentiful. Heck, half of the U.S. bodybuilders visit Latin America for their PED supplies.
Old 12-30-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Mark Price the Cavs guard? Or Mark Prior with the other Cubs?
Good catch!

Brad Daugherty and John ‘Hot Rod’ Williams too!
Old 01-03-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
This is interesting. Here's the results from the guy who tracks ballots that have been revealed.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...AAsz3uDsmqy_Vw

With 88 ballots revealed/~21.2% of the vote known:
Chipper - 98%
Thome - 97%
Vlad - 93%
Edgar 86%
Hoffman - 78%
-----
Clemens - 74%
Bonds - 73%
Mussina - 73%
Schilling - 69%
Walker - 41%
Vizquel - 28%⬇️
Manny - 28%
McGriff - 16%
Rolen - 11%⬇️

Obviously, these percentages will drop for the most part (has me concerned for Rolen). Last year at this time, Edgar Martinez was at 65% and finished at 58%. Still looks to confirm it will be a big year for several guys.
Now up to 37%.

Chipper, Thome, and Vlad look like they'll make it. Maybe Edgar. Hoffman is above 75% but will probably slide.
Old 01-03-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Based on the current thread poll, Chipper is the only one getting in at 80%, followed by Vlad and Edgar at 69%. Thome is stumbling along at 53%.
Old 01-03-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Talk voters have always been way tougher than the real voters.
Old 01-03-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm awaiting the "if you don't think ______ should be in the hall of fame, you don't know anything about baseball!" type of comments

I should have voted for Thome, I think I had just breezed through the list when I voted in the poll.
Old 01-03-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Now up to 37%.

Chipper, Thome, and Vlad look like they'll make it. Maybe Edgar. Hoffman is above 75% but will probably slide.
Hoffman was actually one of the guys that did slightly better than the tracker last year so he should get in.
Old 01-03-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like making the voting public on here. There are some strange votes (to me), among those who have voted. I wish folks would take time to explain their thought process in a few cases. Then I could better determine if they don't anything about baseball.
Old 01-03-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Hoffman was actually one of the guys that did slightly better than the tracker last year so he should get in.
that makes sense, actually, because the conventional wisdom is that the anonymous ballots skew towards more traditional voters. And while closer isn't a "traditional" position, Hoffman doesn't look good by advanced metrics, and probably does better with voters who focus on counting stats.
Old 01-03-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trevor Hoffman was pitching to the score

That should be the defacto arguement for every pitcher on the ballot if they want to get in

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.