0%
Other
5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

Old 10-17-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

You were tired of teams sitting players. Adam Silver heard you. Now the Regular Season is starting earlier than ever to give more rest days during the season.
This season opens up tonight with a doozy : Future Laker LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers host newly departed All-Star Point Guard Kyrie Irving and the Boston Celtics.

Here's the Opening Week schedule :

NBA 2017-18 Opening Week Schedule
Tuesday, Oct. 17

8 p.m. ET: Boston Celtics at Cleveland Cavaliers, TNT

10:30 p.m. ET: Houston Rockets at Golden State Warriors, TNT

Wednesday, Oct. 18

7 p.m. ET: Philadelphia 76ers at Washington Wizards, ESPN

9:30 p.m. ET: Minnesota Timberwolves at San Antonio Spurs, ESPN

Thursday, Oct. 19

8 p.m. ET: New York Knicks at Oklahoma City Thunder, TNT

10:30 p.m. ET: Los Angeles Clippers at Los Angeles Lakers, TNT

Friday, Oct. 20

7 p.m. ET: Cleveland Cavaliers at Milwaukee Bucks, ESPN

9:30 p.m. ET: Golden State Warriors at New Orleans Pelicans, ESPN

Old 10-17-17, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: 2017-2018 NBA Regular Season Thread

Finally, the wait is over! Let's Go Lakers!
Old 10-17-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd love the Lakers to turn things around this year but realistically, I just don't think there are that many wins to be had in the West. If they can get up to 35-38 wins I will be happy. This year is more about showing that Lonzo Ball can play as an elite PG in the league and that Brandon Ingram is maturing and getting better. If Kyle Kuzma continues his torrid scoring, that's a huge bonus as it makes Julius Randle expendable. (Speaking of which, had we known how good Kuzma actually was, I would have totally gone for a Randle & Clarksonn for Paul George trade -- the Lakers flatly refused to part with both).

Anyway, if they can be at least a little competitive, that's what we need for the crucial upcoming off-season.
Old 10-17-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

At this point, I just want them to be competitive.

Hopefully it isn’t Cavs vs Warriors 4 next June.
Old 10-17-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I'd love the Lakers to turn things around this year but realistically, I just don't think there are that many wins to be had in the West. If they can get up to 35-38 wins I will be happy. This year is more about showing that Lonzo Ball can play as an elite PG in the league and that Brandon Ingram is maturing and getting better. If Kyle Kuzma continues his torrid scoring, that's a huge bonus as it makes Julius Randle expendable. (Speaking of which, had we known how good Kuzma actually was, I would have totally gone for a Randle & Clarksonn for Paul George trade -- the Lakers flatly refused to part with both).

Anyway, if they can be at least a little competitive, that's what we need for the crucial upcoming off-season.
Totally agree, I don't expect that much in terms of wins but want to see them play well and see their young guys continue to develop and be fun to watch.

I'm going to the opener on Thursday, looking forward to it.
Old 10-17-17, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Holy shit that injury to Hayward.
Old 10-17-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The anti-super team gods must have gotten angry.
Old 10-17-17, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ouch, video on Youtube already. His foot was totally turned to the side. No wonder they were not showing it.
Old 10-17-17, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Holy shit that injury to Hayward.
That. That was not good at all. Wow.
Old 10-17-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That was awful.
Old 10-17-17, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That was Shaun Livingston levels of awful. Hate to see that for any player, especially like Hayward 6 minutes in to the season opener on a new team. I guess you hope that it's not as bad as it looked, but that just looks devastating career wise.
Old 10-17-17, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Certainly the season's done. If it's just a clean tib/fib fracture without vascular injury, there's certainly a reasonable expectation that he could be good to go next year.

This picture shows nothing and tells you everything

What a devastating start to the season.
Old 10-17-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found a video and now I wish I hadn't. That's just nasty. Foot was a good inch off to the side of the end of the leg in that quick shot they caught before switching cameras. So sad.

The NBA is going to have the same issue as the NFL if devastating injuries keep happening at this alarming rate. Maybe it's faulty old age memory, but I don't remember as many players going down for the season in the NBA and NFL back in the 80's and 90's. I remember when Curt Warner (Seahawks) went down for the year one season, and it was like the sky had fallen or something. That just didn't happen.
Old 10-17-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So far I've been successful in avoiding any video of the injury. Sad news for an Indiana guy.

And to hdnmickey's comment above, Bernard King is the only one that comes to mind immediately.
Old 10-17-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Speaking about injuries, Bobby Portis and Nikola Mirotic got into an altercation today at practice that ended with Mirotic getting facial fractures and a concussion and being out indefinitely. Ladies and Gentlemen! your 2017-18 Chicago Bulls!
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...e-bobby-portis
Old 10-17-17, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Holy shit. I just saw the Hayward injury. Horrible. That's got to be a compound, fracture and dislocation of his ankle/foot. Horrible break for him after the new contract and all.
Old 10-17-17, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk God

It is ankle break. Looked like leg, but wasn't. But surgery probably takes him out for the year.
Old 10-17-17, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That Hayward injury reminds me of what happened to Paul George a few years ago at some BS Olympic exhibition game where he had a devastating compound fracture to his leg.

Hayward is definitely out for the year. No way you return from that this season. Hell, Julius Randle had a fibula fracture his rookie year after 1 game and was out the season.
Old 10-17-17, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I found a video and now I wish I hadn't. That's just nasty. Foot was a good inch off to the side of the end of the leg in that quick shot they caught before switching cameras. So sad.

The NBA is going to have the same issue as the NFL if devastating injuries keep happening at this alarming rate. Maybe it's faulty old age memory, but I don't remember as many players going down for the season in the NBA and NFL back in the 80's and 90's. I remember when Curt Warner (Seahawks) went down for the year one season, and it was like the sky had fallen or something. That just didn't happen.
I'm not sure a freak injury at the very start of the season is a reason to set alarm bells off. Now with the league trying to cut down on rest days, if a significant number of injuries happen later in the season I can see them getting into some trouble, but really they're only shooting themselves in the foot if their actions cause star players to miss games.

The only other thing I can say is that the Celtics are actually extremely lucky they pulled off that trade, if they were missing both Hayward and IT for the majority of the season they would've been sunk. I mean they're still in the East and would've made the playoffs, but it would've been a lost year unless Tatum is just a superstar.

Also Kyrie hugged Lebron after missing what would have been the go ahead three at the end of their game. Sabotage complete.
Old 10-17-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://awfulannouncing.com/nba/twitt...medium=twitter

Skip Bayless is a fucking piece of shit. Check out the remark he made about Hayward's injury.
Old 10-17-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I'm not sure a freak injury at the very start of the season is a reason to set alarm bells off.
I hope you're right. But the trend I'm seeing over the last few years says otherwise. I still believe the Cavs would have one more ring if not for two of the big three getting hurt.

I mean they're still in the East and would've made the playoffs, but it would've been a lost year unless Tatum is just a superstar.

Also Kyrie hugged Lebron after missing what would have been the go ahead three at the end of their game. Sabotage complete.
Tatum looked great. Hell of a game and it's hard to say if it would have went differently if not for Hayward's injury.
Old 10-17-17, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
http://awfulannouncing.com/nba/twitt...medium=twitter

Skip Bayless is a fucking piece of shit. Check out the remark he made about Hayward's injury.
He's always been a piece of shit. What an asshole.
Old 10-18-17, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I hope you're right. But the trend I'm seeing over the last few years says otherwise. I still believe the Cavs would have one more ring if not for two of the big three getting hurt.

Tatum looked great. Hell of a game and it's hard to say if it would have went differently if not for Hayward's injury.
I dunno, both of those guys were pretty injury prone before they ever played a game with Lebron.

Actually Jaylen Brown looked great once Hayward was out.
Old 10-18-17, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Draymond comes out of the game with an injury and the Rockets come all the way back, but CP3 riding the bench in crunch time.

And Durant hits the buzzer beater anyway. Or not. Geez.
Old 10-18-17, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
He's always been a piece of shit. What an asshole.
Bayless and Stephen A Smith make a living saying stupid shit like this (they are the Ann Coulter's of sports), as the best thing you can do is just ignore it and eventually they'll go away.

As for the injury, I saw the video once and that was enough for me as I cringed when you see his foot. Such a shame as I hate it in sports when guys like Hayward and Aaron Rodgers get season ending injuries, because those are the players you want to see when the Playoffs roll around.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.