Old 10-05-17, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2017 NFL Regular Season Thread -- Week 5

Week 5 broadcast maps:

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=5
Old 10-05-17, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cam Newton laughs at female reporter following her question.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton laughed and made light of a female reporter who asked about one of his teammates, saying it was "funny to hear a female" ask the question.

Charlotte Observer beat reporter Jourdan Rodrigue asked Newton during Wednesday's news conference about wide receiver Devin Funchess embracing the physicality of routes and if Newton got enjoyment out of that.

Newton responded, "It's funny to hear a female talk about routes like -- it's funny.''

@JourdanRodrigue I don't think it's "funny" to be a female and talk about routes. I think it's my job. I spoke with him after and it was worse. I chose not to share, because I have an actual job to do today and one he will not keep me from.

Panthers director of communications Steven Drummond said in a statement that he spoke with Newton and Rodrigue "and I know they had a conversation where he expressed regret for using those words.

We strive as a department to make the environment for media comfortable for everyone covering the team."

Rodrigue said in a statement that Newton did not apologize. "This afternoon, I did my job as an NFL beat writer and asked Cam Newton a question about one of his receivers.

I was dismayed by his response, which not only belittled me but countless other women before me and beside me who work in similar jobs," Rodrigue said. "I sought Mr. Newton out as he left the locker room a few minutes later. He did not apologize for his comments."

According to a Charlotte Observer report, Rodrigue asked Newton afterward whether he thought a woman couldn't understand receiver routes.
"Newton said she wasn't really seeing specific routes when watching the game, she was just seeing if somebody was open," the Observer reported.

"She argued that he didn't know what she saw nor how hard she had studied football, and that maybe the two of them needed to have a deeper conversation.

"Newton said that maybe he should have said it was funny to hear 'reporters' talk about routes and that, if she actually did know about them, then she knew more than most reporters," according to the Observer. "Then he gestured toward the locker room, still filled with her colleagues."

Rodrigue, who the Observer reported had introduced herself to Newton last October on her first day with the newspaper, asked him if he knew her name. Newton said he did not, according to the report.

"Jourdan Rodrigue, Charlotte Observer," she said before walking away, according to the report.

Mike Persinger, the executive sports editor of the Observer, said Newton's comments were "unfortunate and out of line."

"The question Jourdan asked during the news conference was a good one, like countless other questions about football strategy and nuance she has asked in the course of doing her job,'' Persinger said.

In a statement, the NFL said "the comments are just plain wrong and disrespectful to the exceptional female reporters and all journalists. They do not reflect the thinking of the league."

The Association for Women in Sports Media said in a statement that it "is very discouraged by Cam Newton's disrespectful remarks and actions directed to a female reporter during today's Carolina Panthers media conference.

As a watchdog group, AWSM demands fair treatment and positive workplace environments for women working in sports media."

The Pro Football Writers of America also condemned Newton's comments, saying in a statement that he "crossed the line."

Newton made headlines earlier in his career for his interaction with the media after the Panthers' loss to the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50, when he cut short his session with reporters.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-media-session
Old 10-05-17, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
@JourdanRodrigue I don't think it's "funny" to be a female and talk about routes. I think it's my job. I spoke with him after and it was worse. I chose not to share, because I have an actual job to do today and one he will not keep me from.

Let's talk football. If Jourdan Rodrigue wants to turn this into a referendum on the role of male and female reporters in the locker room, there's an entire Politics thread just waiting for that discussion.
Old 10-05-17, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is talking football. It's a story all the major outlets are running today.
Old 10-05-17, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure that he should be expected to remember her name after she introduced herself some time ago to him, what does that have to do with anything? But yes, he screwed up and he'll be crucified for this (and rightfully so) until something else happens to draw attention away from it.
Old 10-05-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is nothing wrong with what Cam Newton said.
Old 10-05-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Football!

The Patriots are heading down to Tampa, bringing the #1 offense and the #32 defense with them. Should be a slug-fest. I'm curious about the status of Doug Martin, who is eligible to play this week. Will the Bucs dust him off?

Linky: http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/p...me-vs-patriots
TAMPA, Fla. -- If there was ever a time when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have needed two-time Pro Bowl running back Doug Martin to break one of his explosive runs, it’s now.

The defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots are in town for Thursday Night Football at Raymond James Stadium. There will be bright lights and a national audience.

It’s a chance to prove that the Bucs are actual playoff contenders and to redeem themselves from ghastly Thursday night performances in the past, including a 48-23 beatdown from the Atlanta Falcons last season.

It’s a chance to capitalize on a vulnerable 2-2 Patriots squad that is allowing 32 points per game on defense, second-worst in the NFL. New England's 456.8 yards allowed per game rank them sixth-worst since the NFL merger.

But for Martin, it means much more than wins and losses and stat lines.

It’s his first game back since he served a four-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs and his first time playing since a 45-day stint in a drug-rehab program. The last time he was active for a regular-season game? Back on Dec. 18, when the Bucs lost to the Dallas Cowboys. The last time he put on pads in the preseason? Aug. 26.

“It’s been a while. It was a long break,” said Martin, who gathered with his family in California every Sunday to watch his team play on TV. He also kept in touch with teammates through group chats.

“I love these guys, and these guys love me," the 28-year-old said. "I know that [when] I wasn’t here, I know they were thinking of me, and they can’t wait for me to get back here. Now I’m back, and I’m going to play for these guys.”
Old 10-05-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Yeah, I’m no Cam Newton fan but I’m having a tougher time than usual feigning the mandated level of outrage for this particular tragedy.
Old 10-05-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
He mentioned it was funny hearing a girl say something about routes. Why is that funny?

Then he doubled down and didnt apologize.

Dannon just dropped him from the ad campaign.

Look i think america has become sooooo soft that it isnt funny but in a country that so badly fights for womens rights, this isnt a good look
Old 10-05-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, dropped from Dannon? He's their primary spokesman. That is going to hurt in the wallet for sure.

Looking forward to watching tonight's game while running on the treadmill. It will be streaming on Amazon Prime, right?

What's the spread? Edit : Pats -5.5. I like the Bucs there.
Old 10-05-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Wow, dropped from Dannon? He's their primary spokesman. That is going to hurt in the wallet for sure.

Looking forward to watching tonight's game while running on the treadmill. It will be streaming on Amazon Prime, right?

What's the spread? Edit : Pats -5.5. I like the Bucs there.
i love the pats here.. bet the farm
Old 10-05-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I’m much more offended by how the offense looks this year.
Old 10-05-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cam still gets to play. He just makes less money from promoting yogurt. Like it or not, every little thing a player says or types is going to be a much bigger deal because of social media. The reaction to Cam's blunder, and Dannon's decision, is quite ironic given how many constantly refer to tweets and follow social media like it's their new religion.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 10-05-17 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-05-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
He mentioned it was funny hearing a girl say something about routes. Why is that funny?

Then he doubled down and didnt apologize.

Dannon just dropped him from the ad campaign.

Look i think america has become sooooo soft that it isnt funny but in a country that so badly fights for womens rights, this isnt a good look
I agree it's not good to dismiss or mock a reporter based on gender. BLS doesn't have a great record for equality on this board, sorry to say.
Old 10-05-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reporters should consider kneeling at the start of press conferences. Time to get off those chairs and take a heroic stand...well not literally stand. That would be ridiculous.

I hear Mike Ditka is considering suicide so he can roll over in his grave.
Old 10-05-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

though i would say we let alot of men reporters get away with some really dumb questions haha
Old 10-05-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Linky: http://blacksportsonline.com/home/20...-on-twitter/3/

Reporter Jourdan Rodrigue Who Was Target of Cam Newtonís "Sexist" Comment Previously Made Racist Comments on Twitter

Old 10-05-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I see them digging all kinds of stuff up on her, but I'm not sure how that excuses Cam's response. I mean it's not like he was down on her because of her earlier tweets.
Old 10-05-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Football!

The Patriots are heading down to Tampa, bringing the #1 offense and the #32 defense with them. Should be a slug-fest. I'm curious about the status of Doug Martin, who is eligible to play this week. Will the Bucs dust him off?

Linky: http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/p...me-vs-patriots
TAMPA, Fla. -- If there was ever a time when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have needed two-time Pro Bowl running back Doug Martin to break one of his explosive runs, itís now.

The defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots are in town for Thursday Night Football at Raymond James Stadium. There will be bright lights and a national audience.

Itís a chance to prove that the Bucs are actual playoff contenders and to redeem themselves from ghastly Thursday night performances in the past, including a 48-23 beatdown from the Atlanta Falcons last season.

Itís a chance to capitalize on a vulnerable 2-2 Patriots squad that is allowing 32 points per game on defense, second-worst in the NFL. New England's 456.8 yards allowed per game rank them sixth-worst since the NFL merger.

But for Martin, it means much more than wins and losses and stat lines.

Itís his first game back since he served a four-game suspension for performance-enhancing drugs and his first time playing since a 45-day stint in a drug-rehab program. The last time he was active for a regular-season game? Back on Dec. 18, when the Bucs lost to the Dallas Cowboys. The last time he put on pads in the preseason? Aug. 26.

ďItís been a while. It was a long break,Ē said Martin, who gathered with his family in California every Sunday to watch his team play on TV. He also kept in touch with teammates through group chats.

ďI love these guys, and these guys love me," the 28-year-old said. "I know that [when] I wasnít here, I know they were thinking of me, and they canít wait for me to get back here. Now Iím back, and Iím going to play for these guys.Ē
Old 10-05-17, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I'm too old and too white to even know what that tweet means. Dale Earnhart Jr drives slowly?
Old 10-05-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
^ I'm too old and too white to even know what that tweet means. Dale Earnhart Jr drives slowly?
Apparently like 45 mph, if her math is right.
Old 10-05-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I see them digging all kinds of stuff up on her, but I'm not sure how that excuses Cam's response. I mean it's not like he was down on her because of her earlier tweets.
Exactly. And if people are upset enough about her tweets, they could probably get her employers to take action if they got together and made a big enough stink about it on social media.
Old 10-05-17, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Level of shits I give about what Newton said ... 0

Hard question is how to avoid seeing what Trubisky does in his first start while watching the Cubs so I can watch the replay later
Old 10-05-17, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
That's just people having fun hoisting her on her own grievance petard, squeezing exactly the kind of phony, scripted apology out of her that people are expecting from Newton.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.