Detroit at Texas 8:05 PM Justin Verlander vs A.J. Griffin
Cincinnati at Chicago C 8:05 PM Luis Castillo vs Kyle Hendricks
Cleveland at Minnesota 8:10 PM Danny Salazar vs Bartolo Colon
Atlanta at Colorado 8:40 PM Sean Newcomb vs Kyle Freeland
Kansas City at Oakland 10:05 PM Jason Hammel vs Chris Smith
Baltimore at Seattle 10:10 PM Wade Miley vs Andrew Moore
Chicago W at Los Angeles D 10:10 PM Miguel Gonzalez vs Alex Wood
Philadelphia at San Diego 10:10 PM Mark Leiter Jr. vs Dinelson Lamet
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016

Last edited by davidh777; 08-14-17 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-14-17, 12:51 PM   #2
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 2017 MLB Week 20 Aug 14-20

Voted for Judge just because of all the media attention. Probably could/should be Altuve though.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 08-15-17, 03:00 PM   #3
DVD Talk God

If Trout continues on this pace, I am not so sure you can't give it to him.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-16-17, 02:44 AM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

Dodgers win and move 50 games above 500 at 84-34. Nice.

Edit : Aw Hell, let's do it again this year --
Magic Number is....

Last edited by Decker; 08-16-17 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-16-17, 02:58 AM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Voted for Judge just because of all the media attention...
Congrats to #99 for tying the all-time MLB record...in consecutive games with a strike-out. 32 and Counting!

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 08-16-17, 02:13 PM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to the Elias Sports Bureau(or something)-Orioles Tim Beckham is only the second player since 1902 to get 30 hits in his first 15 games with a team. Kenny Lofton did it in 1997 w/Atlanta Braves.
Old 08-16-17, 03:03 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Judge's first half really came out of nowhere considering his minor league numbers. I doubt he hits .300 again like that in his entire career.

Judge is much more likely to hit like Adam Dunn or Giancarlo Stanton for the rest of his career than Willie Mays or Mickey Mantle.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 08-16-17, 10:51 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

How quickly things turn.

The Cards have now lost 3 in a row and tonight's was the most heartbreaking way you can imagine. The Red Sox score 3 in the 9th. Rosenthal came in for the save, gave up a solo home run and was pulled because something wasn't right. The winning run should have been out at the plate but Molina couldn't hang on to the ball as he went to make the tag. I only watched the 9th inning for both teams and the home plate umpire was the worst I've seen all season. During one at-bat in the 9th, the Cards pitcher is on the rubber ready to pitch, the hitter in the box and the umpire calls time just as the reliever starts to pitch. Molina was upset and Matheny came out and was tossed.

Brutal.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 08-16-17, 11:07 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

And I just watched a replay from earlier in the game where Carpenter was thrown out on a single to center field when he started at 3rd base.

The Cards have now lost 22 games when leading by multiple runs. Obviously, that's the most in MLB.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 08-16-17, 11:35 PM   #10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I only watched the 9th inning for both teams and the home plate umpire was the worst I've seen all season.
He was shamefully terrible the entire game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
And I just watched a replay from earlier in the game where Carpenter was thrown out on a single to center field when he started at 3rd base.
Absolutely awful decision by Carpenter.
Old 08-16-17, 11:43 PM   #11
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cubs blow a big lead but regroup and take the game.
Old 08-17-17, 01:13 AM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

Puig doubles in two in the bottom of the ninth and the Dodgers rack up another Walk Off win.
Old 08-17-17, 01:15 AM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Absolutely awful decision by Carpenter.
Did he hold up to see if it was caught?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Cubs blow a big lead but regroup and take the game.
That would've been bad to blow that lead and the game. Now they still have a chance to take the series.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016

Last edited by davidh777; 08-17-17 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-17-17, 01:22 AM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't see the Cardinals game but caught parts of it on the radio. Watched a clip of the time out ... the umpire may have been terrible the rest of the game, but from what I saw he didn't do anything wrong by calling time out. The clip I saw did not show the entire time Brebbia was paused though. If a pitcher is in an excessive pause, there is nothing wrong with calling time.

His mistake was in his explanation to Matheny. (Reportedly he said " I needed a break." Really?)

Some of the commentary from actual reporters on Fox Sports and the social media universe has jus been ignorant (not being pejorative, they are actually unknowing).

Batters cannot call time. Pitchers cannot call time. Coaches cannot call time. Only umpires can call time. Players and coaches may request time out, they have no authority to call it.
Old 08-17-17, 08:35 AM   #15
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I didn't see the Cardinals game but caught parts of it on the radio. Watched a clip of the time out ... the umpire may have been terrible the rest of the game, but from what I saw he didn't do anything wrong by calling time out. The clip I saw did not show the entire time Brebbia was paused though. If a pitcher is in an excessive pause, there is nothing wrong with calling time.

His mistake was in his explanation to Matheny. (Reportedly he said " I needed a break." Really?)

Some of the commentary from actual reporters on Fox Sports and the social media universe has jus been ignorant (not being pejorative, they are actually unknowing).

Batters cannot call time. Pitchers cannot call time. Coaches cannot call time. Only umpires can call time. Players and coaches may request time out, they have no authority to call it.
I just caught the tail end of the discussion on MLB Network late last night and Harold Reynolds and Sean Casey were burying the umpire. From what I gather, neither the pitcher or batter called timeout. The Umpire called timeout (they read his lips when he was talking to Matheny) simply because he needed a break because the pitcher was taking longer then usual shaking off signs.

Both players said they had never been in a game where an ump called time for himself to get a break, as the only time he would do that is if there is something on the field, etc. If it were the 3rd or 4th inning, I don't think it would have been a big deal, but this was bottom of the ninth and the count was 0-2 and the Ump is calling a TO for a break? This is why I hate the MLB umps because they always seem to make things about them instead of letting them play.
Old 08-17-17, 10:15 AM   #16
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Puig doubles in two in the bottom of the ninth and the Dodgers rack up another Walk Off win.

Old 08-17-17, 09:39 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I just caught the tail end of the discussion on MLB Network late last night and Harold Reynolds and Sean Casey were burying the umpire. From what I gather, neither the pitcher or batter called timeout. The Umpire called timeout (they read his lips when he was talking to Matheny) simply because he needed a break because the pitcher was taking longer then usual shaking off signs.

Both players said they had never been in a game where an ump called time for himself to get a break, as the only time he would do that is if there is something on the field, etc. If it were the 3rd or 4th inning, I don't think it would have been a big deal, but this was bottom of the ninth and the count was 0-2 and the Ump is calling a TO for a break? This is why I hate the MLB umps because they always seem to make things about them instead of letting them play.
The umpire was an idiot for saying that. He deserves every bit of flak he gets for that comment -- not for calling time. Calling time out in those circumstances is not unusual and any ball player who claims they have never seen that is full of shit. Technically Reynolds and Casey's comments were probably correct because they said they had never seen an umpire call time out "because he needed a break", NOT they had never seen an umpire call time out when a pitcher was delaying the game.

From the point Brebbia gets on the rubber to the umpire calling time is a little over 21 seconds. It takes him around 11 seconds to take a sign and get set, he then looks at second base, then stares at third base for several seconds (there was no runner on third base), then looks back at second base, and finally starts to deliver the pitch without looking at home plate.

MLB does not have a clock on the pitcher IF runners are on base. To put the timing in perspective, when NO runners are on base a pitcher has 12 seconds from when he receives the ball to deliver a pitch. A pitching clock at all times (regardless of runners on or not) is a rule MLB has proposed to speed the game up. Of course, the players and MLBPA are fighting that and instead claiming automated strikes and balls will speed the game up. (And the argument for that is about assanine.)

I think what bugs me most about this incident is the trickle down effect. Not singling you out McNabb, but you even say "this is why I hate MLB umps". That attitude has bled down to the guys and gals trying to call your kids' games. That attitude is why there is a shortage of officials right now. That attitude makes good officials say "screw this" leaving more room for the half-ass officials. Yes, there are showboat umps out there (at every level) who are asses. I know several of them. However, for every one of those, the showboat fans, players, coaches, parents, etc. outnumber them by far.

I always love it when I hear "learn the rules!" from a coach or a parent. I heard this again today when, according to a parent, a runner was "out of the baseline" running from first to second. The parent sat there and grumbled over it for half an inning. There is no baseline between first and second. (There is a base path which is established by the runner, not a line between the bases. That base path can be just about anywhere based on how the runner is running. From there, the runner can deviate up to three feet to avoid a tag play. In this case the runner was in a pickle, made a wide turn when no tag was being attempted, and made it to the next base.)

I read, I mean ACTUALLY read, six different rule books every year. That does not count the times I read sections or portions (such as double-checking the time limit on a pitcher in my MLB rule book just now). I take four different rules tests each year. I know the differences in rules between the organizations I work; I know the intricacies of the game(s). Does that mean I get it right 100% of the time? No. We all have bad moments, bad angles, and brain farts. The umpire in question wasn't showboating, but after the fact he said something very stupid. Maybe he's a terrible umpire, maybe his mouth engaged before his brain - I don't know - but his initial action was not wrong.

Matheny is a hypocrite for his behavior (and I am a Cardinal fan). That incident was not anything significant, rather it was a build-up of frustration and he couldn't let Molina get tossed so he "sacrificed" himself. However, Matheny (yes, "The Manifesto") has been one who built his reputation on promoting sportsmanship, even starting programs to teach youth coaches how to respect the game and umpires. Now he is in the spotlight for acting just like every other idiot.

Sorry if this is getting long winded, but I love talking umpiring.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 08-17-17 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-17-17, 10:50 PM   #18
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

I think what bugs me most about this incident is the trickle down effect. Not singling you out McNabb, but you even say "this is why I hate MLB umps". That attitude has bled down to the guys and gals trying to call your kids' games. That attitude is why there is a shortage of officials right now. That attitude makes good officials say "screw this" leaving more room for the half-ass officials. Yes, there are showboat umps out there (at every level) who are asses. I know several of them. However, for every one of those, the showboat fans, players, coaches, parents, etc. outnumber them by far.
The reason I hate MLB umps the most out of the other pro sports is because many of them seem to make themselves the story countless times. Nobody pays a ticket to see Cowboy Joe West, yet everyone seems to know his name.

Now replay has somewhat changed the dynamic in Baseball because it's avoids most confrontations. But what other sports do the umps/refs go face to face in arguments with the players/managers where they are more the aggressor? Yes there are the Joey Crawfords in the NBA but he is an exception not the rule.

My point is the Cards/RedSox game was bottom of the 9th and 2 outs and the Umpire really was the driving force in that eventual spat with Molina and Matheny. The umps never turn the other cheek as when was the last time you saw an NFL ref get in the face with Belichik or Brady? The umpire shouldn't be the story and too many times they are in Baseball games, far more then other sports.

As for youth sports, I agree with you as no parent should ever call out a ref or ump. I coached Little League in High School and I would have to ump a neutral game once a week because nobody wanted to do it. Parents would question my strike zone and I wanted to say to them, "You realize I'm doing this for free??"
Old 08-17-17, 11:20 PM   #19
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Did he hold up to see if it was caught?
Yes, which was his first dumb move on the play. It was too shallow for him to score on a tag up if the ball was caught. He should have been halfway down the third base line and just retreated back to third if it was caught. Instead he was on third base. His second dumb move was trying to score from there when it wasn't caught. He should have just eaten his first mistake and stayed put.
Old 08-17-17, 11:32 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
The umpire was an idiot for saying that. He deserves every bit of flak he gets for that comment -- not for calling time. Calling time out in those circumstances is not unusual and any ball player who claims they have never seen that is full of shit. Technically Reynolds and Casey's comments were probably correct because they said they had never seen an umpire call time out "because he needed a break", NOT they had never seen an umpire call time out when a pitcher was delaying the game.
I've been following baseball for 35+ years and I've never seen an umpire call time in that situation. Not on his own. Nearly 100% of the time, he does so at the request of the batter. And the only other times have been because someone or something entered the field of play.

Quote:
Matheny is a hypocrite for his behavior (and I am a Cardinal fan). That incident was not anything significant, rather it was a build-up of frustration and he couldn't let Molina get tossed so he "sacrificed" himself. However, Matheny (yes, "The Manifesto") has been one who built his reputation on promoting sportsmanship, even starting programs to teach youth coaches how to respect the game and umpires. Now he is in the spotlight for acting just like every other idiot
You're correct in saying the anger from the Cards was due to a build-up of frustration. This umpire was horrible last night. Advanced stats showed he missed 25 ball/strike calls (or 14% of them), if I read correctly. I can see how some might see Matheny's behavior as hypocritical based on what you described. However, I had no issue with his "antics" last night. It was obvious he was protecting Molina and was going to get tossed the moment he stepped out of the dugout to argue. But this particular umpire was deserving of every bit of criticism.

Old 08-19-17, 12:47 AM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

Dodgers just acquired Curtis Granderson from the Mets. Maybe that will turn things around for them and help them make the Playoffs.
Old 08-19-17, 12:57 AM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Dodgers just acquired Curtis Granderson from the Mets. Maybe that will turn things around for them and help them make the Playoffs.
It's about time they started bringing in some talent.
Old 08-19-17, 02:33 AM   #23
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not quite sure what they do with Granderson, although I guess Joc has been struggling so maybe that's where most of the time is between him and Puig. With Gonzalez back too, I assume Bellinger splits time in the OF too.

Old 08-19-17, 07:00 PM   #24
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Going for the sweep on Sunday. It certainly would be a nice way to end the home stand.
Old 08-20-17, 06:32 PM   #25
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Crazy win for the Cubs today. Nice to get the sweep and end the home stand on a high note.