DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 11-14-17, 06:52 AM   #476
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Fantasy Football Talk 2017

Thanks Cam Newton for the come from behind victory.

If Brandon Cooks can't get over 100 yards or score a TD vs the Raiders the Pats should cut him and he should join the CFL.

Sucks I was in first place for Sept-Oct and now lost three in a row and now in fifth place at 6-4.

Three teams above me have 7-3 records and another at 6-4 above me and two teams with 5-5 records below me
Old 11-14-17, 09:09 AM   #477
DVD Talk Legend

I was lucky enough to win this week by 3 points. It was thanks to Newton which I didn't have much confidence in and Cousins had a good Sunday game, which made me worry that I made the wrong decision. Under my league scoring, Newton got 35 points and Cousins 32 points so I ended up making the right choice.
Old 11-14-17, 12:17 PM   #478
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I dropped him in a 10-team league (in which I have Evan Engram) and feel good about it. Only reason he even ended up on one of teams is that it was a completely autodrafted team. Otherwise, he was on my "don't draft unless drops incredibly low in draft" list. I've been on the Jordan Reed cycle of uncertainty before and didn't care for the experience.
I still remember how he basically won me two leagues a few years ago, but he's always been a big question mark. I was tempted into him in only one league, and he's only produced when on my bench.

As it turns out, I probably should've dropped him. I wanted to pick up a defense to replace Denver against the Patriots, and I would've easily dropped Tyler Lockett except I only got around to checking my lineup on Friday, which was after Seattle's Thursday game. Denver got minus-3, the top-ranked FA defense Tampa Bay got 14, and I lost by 15. Of course I probably would've picked up another defense because I had no idea Tampa was useful. Frankly, I wouldn't mind dropping Denver because they just haven't been very good.

It still beats what happened to another guy in one of my leagues. He got minus-9 from the Miami defense and lost 82-81.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016

Last edited by davidh777; 11-14-17 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-14-17, 04:33 PM   #479
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I still remember how he basically won me two leagues a few years ago, but he's always been a big question mark.
Yeah ... that one season where he was good the whole year. The only season I didn't have Reed on any teams

Quote:
It still beats what happened to another guy in one of my leagues. He got minus-9 from the Miami defense and lost 82-81.
Bad beat stories are always funny (when they don't happen to you)

I would question why would he even start the defense with a comfortable lead (and knowing defenses getting negative points is a real possibility). But with an 8 point, I would've thought there was no chance they could be that bad and play them too (hoping to pile on more total points for potential tie-breakers).

My teams seem to be all-or-nothing this season. Earlier I've had weeks where all 5 teams lost. Now I've had 2 straight weeks of all 5 teams winning. I thought the team where I started Tyrod Taylor was a sure loser. But I got lucky in facing a guy starting Freeman, Howard, Fuller, and Aaron Jones.
Old 11-14-17, 05:17 PM   #480
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Bad beat stories are always funny (when they don't happen to you)

I would question why would he even start the defense with a comfortable lead (and knowing defenses getting negative points is a real possibility). But with an 8 point, I would've thought there was no chance they could be that bad and play them too (hoping to pile on more total points for potential tie-breakers).
It's a good question so I looked into it further. He was leading 90-76 and his opponent still had Kenny Stills so it makes sense.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 11-14-17, 06:52 PM   #481
DVD Talk Hero

Bad week for me, part of a continuing downward trend.

League 1 (7-3) lost my third straight game 119-61 to the other 7-2 team. I can't even blame the byes because I was missing only Hunt. Brees, Howard, and ABrown combined for 22 points, and Brees and Lutz with 13 each were the only players with double digits. I started Alf, and he got most of his points on one series (I also picked up Rod Smith because I had an open spot so we'll see how that goes). I started the year with two 1s, KBenjamin and KAllen in WR2 and flex, but I've already benched Benjamin and might have to do the same with Allen. Deion Lewis and Juju SS are options. Will Fuller was looking like a genius move two weeks ago, and now he's hurt and borderline rosterable. I was averaging 125 ppg most of the season but now have dropped to 106 and second in the league.

League 2 (8-2) won 120.6-68.8 and averaging seven more ppg than anyone else in the league. I've mostly been riding the NO RBs and the Seahawks non-RBs (Wilson, Baldwin, Graham), but I also have some depth with Hyde, Ertz, Julio, Lewis, and Demaryius. I also have a little roster flexibility.

League 3 (5-5, second in the league in ppg) lost 102.84-87.98, missing Zeke, Forte, Tyreek, Alex Collins, Jeffrey, Reed, and Alex Smith. I was desperate enough to start Fuller, Marquis Lee, Gore, and Damien Williams, and I might've pulled it out with a smart replacement for the Denver defense. Without Zeke, this team looks pretty mediocre. With Gore and Forte out on bye, I'm looking at Collins or Williams at RB2, and even when those guys get back it doesn't look good. The good news is that there's one 9-1 team and no one else better than 6-4. It would've been a big help to win this game.
Old 11-14-17, 08:24 PM   #482
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Zeurlein has more points than Julio, Jordy Nelson, and Devonte Freeman.

Maybe he will be a 1st round pick in 2018

When had a bye it was the first time I kept a kicker on my roster.
Old 11-14-17, 09:07 PM   #483
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I started the year with two 1s, KBenjamin and KAllen in WR2 and flex, but I've already benched Benjamin and might have to do the same with Allen.
Good grief, I'm learning to hate those two guys. In my main league, I started the season with OBJ, Allen, and Kelvin. I really thought WR was going to be a position of strength for that team. At least with OBJ I could cut bait and move on. But I keep leaving Allen and KB in my lineup and they keep underwhelming. I think I've reached the point where I just don't consider them starters anymore (with free agent pickups like JuJu, Shepherd, and Robbie Anderson).

I know you don't react after a bad week or two (or even a month). But after 10 weeks, maybe you need to reconsider how valuable someone is to helping you win fantasy football matchups. I was hoping the move to Buffalo would be positive for KB. But that last game was just brutal. I certainly can't trust to start him anymore.
Old 11-14-17, 10:43 PM   #484
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went 4-3 for week 10. I have one 9-1 team, four 5-5 teams, one 4-6 team, and one 3-7. My two worst teams are in my big money leagues at work. I'm just going to have to play spoiler in those leagues the rest of the season. There's not much of a chance the I can go undefeated and win out. Those teams are not great. I still have a shot at the playoffs in five leagues. That's not too bad.

This week might be rough for me. I won't have Robbie Anderson who has been a waiver wire godsend and Jack Doyle who's been a decent TE pickup. This week is at least looking better than last week when my 3 best WRs were either on bye or suspended in one league...
Old 11-15-17, 07:36 PM   #485
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone have Lesean McCoy on any of their teams? What's your outlook for him? Bounceback waiting to happen, or "stay away" with the QB uncertainty?

He's someone I'm looking at a last-chance effort for a trade target (team that has him looks to be good trade partner in that they have 2 good RBs besides McCoy and are weak at WR). I'm thinking of offering Tyreek Hill (or Thielen) + James White for McCoy. Offering my other top WRs (Mike Evans and Michael Thomas) feels like too much. This is in PPR league.
Old 11-15-17, 08:00 PM   #486
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Good grief, I'm learning to hate those two guys. In my main league, I started the season with OBJ, Allen, and Kelvin. I really thought WR was going to be a position of strength for that team. At least with OBJ I could cut bait and move on. But I keep leaving Allen and KB in my lineup and they keep underwhelming. I think I've reached the point where I just don't consider them starters anymore (with free agent pickups like JuJu, Shepherd, and Robbie Anderson).

I know you don't react after a bad week or two (or even a month). But after 10 weeks, maybe you need to reconsider how valuable someone is to helping you win fantasy football matchups. I was hoping the move to Buffalo would be positive for KB. But that last game was just brutal. I certainly can't trust to start him anymore.
Yeah, I thought with Antonio Brown I would have three top-20 receivers, but 40-60 yards is a borderline flex at best.

Will Fuller is doubtful, which means he isn't yet eligible for ESPN's default IR slot. I also have him in a no-IR league. I just think he isn't worth holding onto for whenever he does return. I also question the value of Buck Allen if and when Woodhead is back (still in my one IR slot of one league). And once we get past the byes, we won't need our benches to be as deep.
Old 11-15-17, 08:02 PM   #487
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Anyone have Lesean McCoy on any of their teams? What's your outlook for him? Bounceback waiting to happen, or "stay away" with the QB uncertainty?

He's someone I'm looking at a last-chance effort for a trade target (team that has him looks to be good trade partner in that they have 2 good RBs besides McCoy and are weak at WR). I'm thinking of offering Tyreek Hill (or Thielen) + James White for McCoy. Offering my other top WRs (Mike Evans and Michael Thomas) feels like too much. This is in PPR league.
The guys at NFL Network claim McCoy has a easy schedule though I wonder with Tyrod benched that hurts his value?
Old 11-15-17, 09:31 PM   #488
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Yeah, I thought with Antonio Brown I would have three top-20 receivers, but 40-60 yards is a borderline flex at best.

Will Fuller is doubtful, which means he isn't yet eligible for ESPN's default IR slot. I also have him in a no-IR league. I just think he isn't worth holding onto for whenever he does return. I also question the value of Buck Allen if and when Woodhead is back (still in my one IR slot of one league). And once we get past the byes, we won't need our benches to be as deep.
I agree that Fuller isn't worth holding onto (unless it's an incredibly deep league). I know some see this as crazy/stupid, but in a casual 10 team league I dropped Kelvin Benjamin. It's hard to justify his meager production when we've had waiver wire WRs this season like JuJu, Woods, Robbie Anderson, Shepherd, and Marquis Lee.

Does your league let you get away with the trick of leaving a guy in the IR slot even after he's off IR? I vaguely remember that working for me once. It would be ideal if you could assess Woodhead returning before having to drop Buck Allen (that he doesn't re-injure himself). If Woodhead does come back, I think Allen doesn't have much fantasy value.

I know what you're saying about changing your bench strategy after byes are done. It's why I'm trying to deal bench strength for starting strength now. Also why "mediocre" guys aren't worth holding onto anymore. Along those lines, with news of his cast coming off I scooped up David Johnson in a couple of leagues. Maybe it'll come to nothing, but the upside of David Johnson playing for me in the fantasy playoffs is higher than bye week fill-in guys.
Old 11-16-17, 01:40 PM   #489
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I agree that Fuller isn't worth holding onto (unless it's an incredibly deep league). I know some see this as crazy/stupid, but in a casual 10 team league I dropped Kelvin Benjamin. It's hard to justify his meager production when we've had waiver wire WRs this season like JuJu, Woods, Robbie Anderson, Shepherd, and Marquis Lee.
I went ahead and dropped Fuller to pick up the Baltimore D to cover Carolina's bye. I could've dropped Carolina, but they have some good matchups coming up, and for me, having a second D to play matchups makes more sense in the playoff run than a sixth receiver. Interestingly the team with the top waiver priority (who I'm playing this week) grabbed the Charger D, which I don't think has been that great this year. I'd rather have Baltimore (GB, Hou, Cle, and Ind still on the schedule), though ESPN projects them both for 11 this week.

I have Benjamin and see no problem with dropping him. Honestly he's probably last on my bench right now. Now the question is whether I bench Keenan Allen for Juju. Allen is ranked much higher, of course, but is putting up mediocre numbers, as we already discussed.

Quote:
Does your league let you get away with the trick of leaving a guy in the IR slot even after he's off IR? I vaguely remember that working for me once. It would be ideal if you could assess Woodhead returning before having to drop Buck Allen (that he doesn't re-injure himself). If Woodhead does come back, I think Allen doesn't have much fantasy value.
I know ESPN allows you to leave an uninjured played on IR, but you can't make any roster moves until you take him off. So if my lineup is already set before Woodhead is activated, I could get away with it.
Old 11-16-17, 06:20 PM   #490
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Now the question is whether I bench Keenan Allen for Juju.

I know ESPN allows you to leave an uninjured played on IR, but you can't make any roster moves until you take him off. So if my lineup is already set before Woodhead is activated, I could get away with it.
How is that even a question? My team was suffering from bad juju until I picked up good JuJu.

Edit:

CBS lets you leave a player on IR after the injury designation is removed. I always take full advantage of this. Great thing is that any injury designation allows us to put a guy on IR. That helps with banged up players who are going to play despite a questionable status. It also helps with a player who may be struggling a bit. You can potentially stash them and pick up something to help instead of having to cut them. Right now I have Matt Bryant and Delanie Walker on IR. (About to activate Walker and move Devonta Freeman to IR, but I’m holding off until I either NEED Walker or know more about Freeman’s long term status.)

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-16-17 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-17-17, 10:35 AM   #491
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
How is that even a question? My team was suffering from bad juju until I picked up good JuJu.

Edit:

Yeah, I did go with Juju. All the "expert" rankings had Allen higher, but he had a total of 24 points in his last five games while Juju had 55 in his last three. I went with the trend, and it didn't work out, but that's OK. (Although who knows--four points is about what Allen has been putting up.) What I didn't realize till the game had started was that going with Juju meant my starting WRs were from the same team, which I tend not to do (except Ingram-Kamara). However, Brown worked out this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
CBS lets you leave a player on IR after the injury designation is removed. I always take full advantage of this. Great thing is that any injury designation allows us to put a guy on IR. That helps with banged up players who are going to play despite a questionable status. It also helps with a player who may be struggling a bit. You can potentially stash them and pick up something to help instead of having to cut them. Right now I have Matt Bryant and Delanie Walker on IR. (About to activate Walker and move Devonta Freeman to IR, but I’m holding off until I either NEED Walker or know more about Freeman’s long term status.)
Yeah, I haven't played CBS in a couple years, but IR shenanigans were common back then. Our commissioner had to set rules about it and chase down offenders.
Old 11-17-17, 01:13 PM   #492
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, in my main league I started JuJu for the first time. Sorry if I contributed to turning good juju into bad juju But since I've been starting KAllen and KBenjamin all season, ~4 fantasy points is what I'm used to out of my WR spots For my second WR spot, I think I'm going to start Shepherd (over Allen and Woods).

I own Antonio Brown in one league. Last week I had Tyrod Taylor, but dropped him and started Ben Roethlisberger instead. You've got to like starting off with a 60+ point lead after only 2 guys played

In another league, I sent off a trade off of Tyreek Hill and James White for Lesean McCoy (the guy who has him is in the mix at 5-5, is deep at RB but weak at WR). Though I'm willing to negotiate about different WRs (Evans, Thomas, Thielen) or RBs (Coleman, Drake, CJA). Not optimistic ... I fully expect my offer to just go ignored and expire after a couple of days. If it doesn't, I feel better about my RB situation now that Coleman looks to get more PT with Freeman hurt. Just not looking forward to deciding who to bench out of Evans, Thomas, Hill, or Thielen every week (this is a PPR league).
Old 11-17-17, 02:38 PM   #493
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hope benching Delanie Walker for Brate (again) doesn't come back to bite me, but I would feel a lot worse about it if Walker hadn't dropped that TD.

My primary receiving corps in that league is not great (K. Allen, E. Sanders, D. Funchess). I had enough of Watkins and dropped him for Corey Coleman a few weeks ago, so of course his output for the last two weeks has almost matched his output for the first seven weeks.
Old 11-17-17, 06:42 PM   #494
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rishard Matthews does nothing but when my opponent has him he scores a TD and he also has Brady vs Raiders so I am screwed.