Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-27-17, 12:25 PM   #76
DVD Talk God

Re: 2017 NFL Preseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Only a sprained knee for Spencer Ware.
Nope. Torn PCL. Out for season. I feel like a genius drafting Hunt middle to late in both drafts I have done so far.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-27-17, 01:25 PM   #77
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Nope. Torn PCL. Out for season. I feel like a genius drafting Hunt middle to late in both drafts I have done so far.
How quickly things change in a day.

I bet on Ware last year in the middle rounds and got some good returns early. I like his rags-to-riches story (released by the Seahawks after their SB championship season) so I'm sorry to see him go down.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-27-17, 01:43 PM   #78
DVD Talk God

Cam Meredith just suffered a nasty leg injury. Had to put an air cast on. That is never good.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 08-27-17, 03:01 PM   #79
DVD Talk God

@RapSheet: #Bears WR Cameron Meredith is believed to have torn his ACL, per Pam Oliver on the Fox broadcast. Likely had additional damage, too. Too bad

Old 08-27-17, 03:40 PM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

So many fucking knee injuries in meaningless games. What a waste. They need to make preseason like 2 games or something.
Old 08-27-17, 04:11 PM   #81
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
So many fucking knee injuries in meaningless games. What a waste. They need to make preseason like 2 games or something.
I really hate pre-season football. The games are ugly, the injuries are frustrating and Season Ticket holders hate them. They charge full price for them and back when lived near Indy, I literally couldn't give them away to my employees. Dropping to two games and increasing shared work outs with another team in the pre-season makes a ton of sense.
Old 08-27-17, 04:46 PM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I really hate pre-season football. The games are ugly, the injuries are frustrating and Season Ticket holders hate them. They charge full price for them and back when lived near Indy, I literally couldn't give them away to my employees. Dropping to two games and increasing shared work outs with another team in the pre-season makes a ton of sense.
I thought one of the main reasons for them was to fleece the season ticket holders into paying for them.
Old 08-27-17, 05:22 PM   #83
DVD Talk Hero

Well it's not an ACL, and I'll take 8 weeks over "out for the year", but this rash of knee injuries sucks for everybody.

Old 08-27-17, 05:39 PM   #84
DVD Talk Hero

Texans will be practicing in Dallas this week:

Quote:
The Houston Texans played their third preseason contest in New Orleans this weekend and rather than making an attempt to return home the team will instead fly into Dallas. It is not known when the Texans will find themselves able to return to their own facilities.

Although head coach Bill O’Brien states that he is unaware of any specific plans, he is certain that something will be worked out to accommodate his squad.

“I don't know the ins and outs," he said when asked about possible places to practice. "I'm sure there are plenty of places. I'm sure we could probably work with the Cowboys to use their facility. I'm not privy to that information right now." - Bill O’Brien

It is hard to imagine that the Dallas Cowboys would not be willing to come to an arrangement to help out their cross-state rivals. The Jones family has great respect for Texans owner Bob McNair and it is likely that something has already been arranged.

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton confirmed that the Texans and Saints had discussions earlier this week regarding the possibility of New Orleans serving as host for Houston should it become necessary.

Still, an arrangement with Dallas was more logical with the two teams slated to meet in Houston for the annual wrap up contest that traditionally ends preseason football for the two franchises. With the Texans already in Dallas it would be a simple matter for the Cowboys to host the game originally scheduled to take place in Houston.

It may be a day or two for official world to be announced but it looks all for all the world like the Cowboys will be sharing facilities with the Houston Texans over the next few days and hosting them on Thursday night if need be.

Depending on how events in Houston play out, the Texans could find themselves looking at an even longer sojourn than the upcoming week.
Old 08-27-17, 07:57 PM   #85
DVD Talk Hero

Add another one

Cowboys CB Duke Thomas has a high ankle sprain as well as a sprained MCL.
Old 08-27-17, 09:32 PM   #86
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-27-17, 10:45 PM   #87
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Got to see a grown man cry this afternoon. Work partner complained this morning about his mediocre auto drafted fantasy team, full of injured players, with the only slightly bright spots being Spencer Ware and Cameron Meredith.
Old 08-28-17, 12:25 AM   #88
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...on-illegal-hit
Vontaze Burfict facing a 5 game suspension for a hit On the Chiefs Anthony Sherman.
Old 08-28-17, 08:07 AM   #89
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is the shit!

Old 08-28-17, 01:24 PM   #90
DVD Talk Hero

That ain't good. Have you seen the facilities at The Star? They'll never wanna leave!
Old 08-28-17, 01:50 PM   #91
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...on-illegal-hit
Vontaze Burfict facing a 5 game suspension for a hit On the Chiefs Anthony Sherman.
Link doesn't even show the hit... fuck ESPN.
Old 08-28-17, 01:53 PM   #92
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
If you let it play past the initial video, it does show the hit.
Old 08-28-17, 03:54 PM   #93
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Here's the hit, He's a repeat offender, and hit a defenseless player running a route. Its supposed to be a new rule this year.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 08-28-17 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 10:00 PM   #94
DVD Talk Hero

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/902348222009573377
Old 08-28-17, 10:38 PM   #95
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/902348222009573377
Lions and Matthew Stafford agreed to five-year contract expected to make him highest paid player in NFL history, a team source told ESPN.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 08-28-17, 10:56 PM   #96
DVD Talk Hero

Stafford got paid.
Old 08-29-17, 12:16 AM   #97
DVD Talk Legend

The deal will have an average annual value of $27 million, a source said, putting Stafford ahead of the five-year contract that pays $25 million annually to Oakland Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, which Carr signed last month.

A source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that Stafford's deal is expected to guarantee him a record $92 million, including a $50 million signing bonus. The previous record for guaranteed money issued to an NFL player was $87 million for Andrew Luck of the Indianapolis Colts.

-------------------

This is now the benchmark for Cousins. There is no question he is not worth anywhere near that money (nor is Stafford) but that's the price to keep a franchise QB. I sincerely doubt the Redskins pay it. Personally, I hope he leaves, I think he's incredibly over-rated and mediocre, not to mention his penchant for literally throwing games away.

Old 08-29-17, 09:57 AM   #98
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stafford and Carr will look like bargains when Marriota, Winston, Ryan, Cousins and Rodgers sign. Cousins may not be better than Stafford (I agree with you)... but Denver or Cleveland will pay because they can... and because drafting a QB is an arduous process at best.
Old 08-29-17, 10:35 PM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Stafford and Carr will look like bargains when Marriota, Winston, Ryan, Cousins and Rodgers sign. Cousins may not be better than Stafford (I agree with you)... but Denver or Cleveland will pay because they can... and because drafting a QB is an arduous process at best.
It's just the going rate for an established QB b/c so many fail. Not much anyone can do about it.

Old 08-30-17, 12:01 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hero