Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-11-17, 04:07 PM   #26
DVD Talk God

Re: 2017 NFL Preseason Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Like it matters that Zeke's gonna miss 6 games. With that offensive line, they can plug in any RB and he'll get you 100 yards a game.

Zeke - #overrated
I don't think so.

Maybe the backup can get 100 but only by sheer rush volume -- their rush yd/attempt and overall yds/play fell sharply when Zeke was not on the field.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 08-11-17, 04:19 PM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

Colts seem surprisingly unconcerned that Andrew Luck can't even be cleared to practice, even to throw a football, less than a month before the season opener at the Rams and they've got Scott Tolzien next on their "depth" chart. If he's not good to go, they'll challenge the Jets and Browns for the worst team in the league.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 08-11-17, 04:40 PM   #28
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I don't think so.

Maybe the backup can get 100 but only by sheer rush volume -- their rush yd/attempt and overall yds/play fell sharply when Zeke was not on the field.
Yup, pretty much. It's not just about yards, it's about efficiency:

Quote:
But even in combination, McFadden and Morris aren’t Zeke, whose talent transcended the Cowboys’ great line at times last season. The Cowboys offense will have to get adjusted to life without an elite running game to lean on.

The numbers back this up. Sure the Cowboys produced a top-10 running game in 2015 before Elliott was on the team, but it wasn’t nearly as efficient. Per Football Outsiders, the ’15 Cowboys produced a DVOA of -4.6%. With the same offensive line in 2016, that number jumped to 11.5%. The rookie running back made a world of difference.

Elliott’s absence will also have a massive effect on the passing game. Consider this: Even with Matt Cassel and Kellen Moore starting behind center, defenses refused to load the box against Dallas in 2015. The Cowboys offense faced an average of 6.14 defenders in the box, 25th in the league per Football Outsiders. In 2016, the Cowboys saw that number spike to 6.38, which ranked 4th in the league. Teams were focused on slowing down Elliott, which made things so much easier for Dak Prescott.
Old 08-11-17, 05:44 PM   #29
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
The rules and the process are not consistent at all. That's the problem.
Yeah, he did nothing. I mean, these bruises on her got there all by themselves! http://www.tmz.com/2017/08/11/ezekie...injury-photos/

John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 08-11-17, 06:09 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Zeke is still overrated... plus other RBs don't abuse women.
Old 08-11-17, 06:50 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Yeah, he did nothing. I mean, these bruises on her got there all by themselves! http://www.tmz.com/2017/08/11/ezekie...injury-photos/

What the heck does this have to do with what I just said?

Let's try this again:

Last edited by eXcentris; 08-11-17 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-11-17, 07:22 PM   #32
DVD Talk God

It's funny how the Vegas books took all the Dallas props and Wk 1 off the board except for the SB odds.

But just to show how little anything outside of QBs matter to the line on a single game, one of the bookmakers said that he would probably only move the NYG/DAL line in Week 1 a half-point. It was high to begin with.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 08-11-17, 08:23 PM   #33
DVD Talk God

Quote:
What the heck does this have to do with what I just said?

Let's try this again:

Ahem.

Quote:
Show me the evidence that the cops didn't have. If it's there and it's conclusive, then sure suspend him.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 08-11-17, 08:42 PM   #34
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Ahem.
Ahem that's not what you quoted when you replied with that TMZ stuff. And, regardless, none of that is new evidence.
Old 08-12-17, 01:34 AM   #35
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Jerry Jones is reportedly furious with the decision according to Schefter.

Zeke is appealing.

Great another potential long and drawn out legal battle.

Appealing to the league is not the same as suing in court. When a player files an appeal with the league, a decision has to be given withing 10 days. They'll know his fate for sure before the season starts.

I don't think there will be a legal challenge, since, if the decision is upheld, it will just delay his suspension, possibly into the playoffs. I'm sure the Cowboys would rather just get the suspension over with, if it's upheld by the league.

It wouldn't surprise me if it gets reduced on appeal though. Before the announcement, I was hearing one or two games, four at the max.
Old 08-12-17, 11:22 AM   #36
DVD Talk God

Bucs released Aguayo. And that is why you don't draft a kicker in the 2nd round.

Can't wait to see that on Hard Knocks.

Old 08-12-17, 12:00 PM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Bucs released Aguayo. And that is why you don't TRADE UP to draft a kicker in the 2nd round.

Can't wait to see that on Hard Knocks.
ftfy.
Old 08-12-17, 01:43 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

eXcentris, you come off as a monster homer here. And the word monster is a bit appropriate given the subject matter. Please spare us "the process is flawed" talk, when it seems pretty clear what you really mean is "I don't care what he did, if he didn't get charged and he's a star on my team, he should play!"

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 08-12-17, 02:54 PM   #39
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by collven View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if it gets reduced on appeal though. Before the announcement, I was hearing one or two games, four at the max.
Given the new minimum standard for domestic violence is six games, maybe not. An appeal may get him no where on this one.
Old 08-12-17, 04:42 PM   #40
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
eXcentris, you come off as a monster homer here. And the word monster is a bit appropriate given the subject matter. Please spare us "the process is flawed" talk, when it seems pretty clear what you really mean is "I don't care what he did, if he didn't get charged and he's a star on my team, he should play!"
You suck at reading minds because that's 100% bullshit. You want "monster homer" comments, check the comments on the Cowboys blog (Blogging the Boys). Heck, I almost hoped for 1 or 2 games just to try and drill some sense into Zeke's brain because he seems to have a knack for putting himself in bad situations.

One last time, my beef is with a process (the NFL's alternate justice system) which is neither fair, nor consistent, and seems to make up rules as it goes along. I can't fathom how any football fan would be fine with that.

Read this:

http://deadspin.com/the-nfl-is-still...ong-1797765706

Last edited by eXcentris; 08-12-17 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-12-17, 05:48 PM   #41
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:

One last time, my beef is with a process (the NFL's alternate justice system) which is neither fair, nor consistent, and seems to make up rules as it goes along. I can't fathom how any football fan would be fine with that.
This I agree with to a point, I think this is "payback" for the flak they caught over Ray Rice ... I really think the biggest issue now (and with Rice) is people are looking for the NFL to be a substitute for the criminal justice system ... Rice should have gone to jail and maybe Elliot too

As a result of said flak from Rice ... they are swinging towards a zero tolerance policy .. that might or might not be right.

I do not think consistent is what should be shot for, there are degrees of "guilt" ... a slap versus a punch, etc.

I do not know what the answer is, but the biggest problem to me is the thought it is up to a sports league to handle the punishment for crimes .. which is sad when you think of people who are abused by non pro athletes who really have no recourse and there is so much focus on the NFL, etc and there is a level of "look we did something about this problem" mentality in the exact wrong place.
Old 08-12-17, 11:56 PM   #42
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Marshawn Lynch sat during the national anthem before the Oakland/Arizona preseason game tonight.

Cue outrage in 3....2....1......
Old 08-13-17, 12:29 AM   #43
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Given the new minimum standard for domestic violence is six games, maybe not. An appeal may get him no where on this one.

That "minimum standard" was around last year when the Giants' kicker was only given a one game suspension for domestic violence.
Old 08-13-17, 12:37 AM   #44
DVD Talk Hero

Rams only score 13 points tonight in a win vs the Cowboys.

Game doesn't mean shit, but I thought McVay is the guru of some high scoring offense. They kind of sold him as a guy who can finally get the Rams to score. I'm expecting 25-30 points per game. Their offense was hot garbage last season.
Old 08-13-17, 01:17 AM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

I mean, if you're going to talk about a meaningless game, at least they won. But they have to get a handle on their fumbling issues. Good to see Justin Davis back at the Coliseum but as good as he was for an undrafted rookie, he fumbled twice. And in typical Rams fashion their lone TD was a throw by Goff, fumbled by Robert Woods and recovered by them in the endzone. But if you're expecting an offensive juggernaut this year, even if Watkins stays healthy, I think you'll be sorely disappointed.

Also, I don't watch many preseason games, but don't they neuter the playbook and save a lot of their stuff for actual games? Obviously you want the reps and you want a chance to see what works, but I'd think you'd save most of it for later.
Old 08-18-17, 01:08 PM   #46
DVD Talk Hero

Patriots third-round pick Derek Rivers possibly out for the season with an ACL injury.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...on-knee-injury

Quote:
The New England Patriots fear they have lost Derek Rivers for the season after the rookie defensive end suffered a torn ACL and sprained LCL, sources told ESPN on Friday.

Rivers, who was New England's top pick in the 2017 NFL draft as a third-round choice out of Youngstown State, returned to Boston on Thursday and had an MRI. He will get a second opinion to determine whether surgery is necessary.

NFL.com first reported the results of Rivers' MRI.

Rivers went down on a kickoff coverage drill Wednesday in a joint practice with the Houston Texans at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. Head athletic trainer Jim Whalen examined Rivers' left knee on the field.

The Patriots traveled to Houston for Saturday's preseason game.

Rivers, who was selected 83rd overall, was projected to be part of a rotation at defensive end, which was arguably the Patriots' thinnest position entering training camp.

Trey Flowers, who led the Patriots with seven sacks last season, tops the depth chart at the position. After Flowers, there is a notable drop, which will likely lead the team to explore a free-agent signing or trade. Another option could be to try to entice Rob Ninkovich out of retirement.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-18-17, 02:27 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

If Zeke did that, he should be out of the league, let alone six games.

As a lifelong Skins fan, it pains me to say this, but I'm concerned that this ruling may have ignored some key evidence refuting the accuser's allegations. There are multiple sworn statements denying the incidents took place; text messages indicating she may not be telling the truth; claimed threats against Zeke; and a possible alternative cause of the injuries (altercation with another woman).

For these reasons he was not prosecuted. The prosecutor even indicated that her stories were not consistent as the reason for refusing to prosecute.

Maybe it's the lawyer in me but I don't even think a civil burden (i.e., more likely than not) has been carried here by the NFL and the fact they disregarded all of this in giving him the full six games when a White kicker who admits to beating the shit out of his wife multiple times gets one game is fucking lunacy.

Again, if it turns out that Zeke did this, he needs to be gone, forever. I'm just concerned that there is alot of evidence out there supporting that he didn't, and as a lawyer, that concerns me. It also concerns that it could easily happen to one of my team's players too.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 08-18-17, 07:13 PM   #48
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Maybe it's the lawyer in me but I don't even think a civil burden (i.e., more likely than not) has been carried here by the NFL and the fact they disregarded all of this in giving him the full six games when a White kicker who admits to beating the shit out of his wife multiple times gets one game is fucking lunacy.
Are you saying the league treats kickers more favorably? That would be shameful if true.
Old 08-18-17, 07:36 PM   #49
DVD Talk Hero

Was the white kicker before the rules changed regarding Domestic Violence after the Ray Rice fiasco? If so, punishments rendered before that are irrelevant to this conversation -- the penalty for Domestic Violence cases is now six games. As long as they're consistent about that I am okay with the implementation.

I do wonder how KC All Pro Rookie Tyreek Hill gets away with no penalty at all, though...
Old 08-18-17, 11:13 PM   #50
DVD Talk Hero

Jameis Winston still has alot to learn.

Stupid ill advised throw in the Red Zone while being sacked:

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvide...red-zone-throw