Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-14-17, 08:08 PM   #51
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 2017 Legends Keeper Fantasy Football League

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Got the #11 pick. Yaay. :/

Since we're starting up a Keeper league, things that we decide upon now *before* our start-up draft will impact things down the road. That's why I asked about IR spots, and that's also why I'm asking these (hopefully) final questions:

1 - Even though there will be an ESPN-enforced trade deadline during the season, should we consider opening up trading again during the off-season? I could envision situations where owners with more than 2 keeper-quality players might be willing to trade one of them for a better draft pick.

2 - Speaking of draft picks, will next year's draft order be completely random *or* should we consider a scheme whereby picks are assigned based on this year's order of finish? Now granted, there's little advantage to be gained based on your spot in a 1-12 / 12-1 Snake Draft (which I'm *NOT* advocating changing), versus a straight 1-12 / 1-12 Draft. But if our 2017 post-season were set up to award teams their CHOICE of 2018 Draft slots, then owners could select a pick # that they feel would benefit them the best. The general idea is that all 12 teams earn "selections" based on their final order of finish. The team with the first "selection" uses that to decide with of the 12 draft slots they want to be slotted in. The team with the second "selection" chooses next, and so on, with the 12th team being assigned to the last slot available. Teams that miss out on the playoffs would compete in their own post-season for "selections" 1-6, while teams in the championship bracket would play for "selections" 7-12. It's a little convoluted, but it gives owners something tangible to play for during the final 3 weeks of the season, and if they get a draft slot that they like they can use it for themselves OR potentially trade it for a keeper.

Whaddya think?
So I guess let's start by getting feedback on the IR spot. Is anyone opposed to adding an IR spot? I'm going to add for now and if the consensus objects then I can remove. I think adding an IR spot makes a ton of sense especially being that we are now a keeper league. Should I reduce a bench spot and make it 6 bench with one IR or keep it at 7 bench with 1 IR?

Next- after talking to a few buddies who run a keeper having offseason trading is always important. Usually not much happens until the weeks leading up to the draft but at least it gives owners options.

The last question I'm opening up to the group. Any thoughts on Draft order in subsequent years?

Love the ideas and discussion KenBuzz!
Old 08-14-17, 09:17 PM   #52
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplified View Post
So I guess let's start by getting feedback on the IR spot. Is anyone opposed to adding an IR spot? I'm going to add for now and if the consensus objects then I can remove. I think adding an IR spot makes a ton of sense especially being that we are now a keeper league. Should I reduce a bench spot and make it 6 bench with one IR or keep it at 7 bench with 1 IR?

Next- after talking to a few buddies who run a keeper having offseason trading is always important. Usually not much happens until the weeks leading up to the draft but at least it gives owners options.

The last question I'm opening up to the group. Any thoughts on Draft order in subsequent years?

Love the ideas and discussion KenBuzz!
I would like 6 bench players and 1 IR spot. I think draft order should always be a random snake order.
Old 08-14-17, 10:40 PM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

I would prefer a bench size that results in a draft that has an even # of rounds, so that all owners have the same balance of draft picks. Since we have 9 starters, I would prefer the bench be 7 + 1 IR.

I think the draft should snake. The only time I think a 1-12 straight draft would be appropriate would be for a full Dynasty league. This isn't one of those, so we should snake.

I'm okay with random, but would prefer to let owners select their pick slot based on the prior year's finish (as described in my previous post).
Old 08-14-17, 11:27 PM   #54
DVD Talk Hero

I'm fine with the IR spot, and I'd prefer to keep the bench at seven or you're penalizing the teams that don't get injuries (then again, maybe they deserve it ). My keeper league allowed offseason trades because there was always a team looking to improve its protected players or a team that had more than two top-25 players.

My league did a draft in reverse order of finish for every round, and it was brutal. It was balanced somewhat by having five protected players, but a lot of the reason was to provide incentive for losing owners to come back. kenbuzz's idea about selecting your draft position is interesting, but I feel there'd be a lot of randomness to that as well. Only a few teams really want to be at the top or bottom, and that could vary a lot just depending on what time of year you make the selection (e.g., Ezekiel Elliott could sway things). Most teams are fine somewhere in the middle, and I feel like it'd be a lot of paperwork and chasing people down for not that much gain.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-14-17, 11:30 PM   #55
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I feel that a random order is best, because if you award the best draft spots based on the teams with the worst records, then you are penalizing the owners who had good seasons.
Old 08-16-17, 12:53 PM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

7 bench and 1 IR vote from me.
Old 08-16-17, 03:37 PM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
kenbuzz's idea about selecting your draft position is interesting, but I feel there'd be a lot of randomness to that as well. Only a few teams really want to be at the top or bottom, and that could vary a lot just depending on what time of year you make the selection (e.g., Ezekiel Elliott could sway things). Most teams are fine somewhere in the middle, and I feel like it'd be a lot of paperwork and chasing people down for not that much gain.
Yeah, I hadn't thought-through the chasing-down aspect. We'd have to start asking owners to begin naming their draft positions about 2 weeks before the draft, and even then if we average more than a day per response we wouldn't have enough time to get 11 responses in 14 days, forcing the early owners to have to declare before many (if any) preseason games had been played.

Let's table that suggestion. Seems more work than it's worth.

So it seems we're down to two questions:
1 - IR? (Seems like it's a unanimous "yes")
2 - Bench = 6 or 7 (Seems to be leaning strongly 7)

I presume making trades that include future draft picks is desirable, though we're probably -not- interested in allowing trades involving this year's start-up draft picks.
Old 08-17-17, 03:42 PM   #58
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Yeah, I hadn't thought-through the chasing-down aspect. We'd have to start asking owners to begin naming their draft positions about 2 weeks before the draft, and even then if we average more than a day per response we wouldn't have enough time to get 11 responses in 14 days, forcing the early owners to have to declare before many (if any) preseason games had been played.

Let's table that suggestion. Seems more work than it's worth.

So it seems we're down to two questions:
1 - IR? (Seems like it's a unanimous "yes")
2 - Bench = 6 or 7 (Seems to be leaning strongly 7)

I presume making trades that include future draft picks is desirable, though we're probably -not- interested in allowing trades involving this year's start-up draft picks.
Based on the feedback of the thread, we will keep the bench at 7 and add the IR spot. I think that we will have to hold off on any draft pick trading discussions until next year based on the fact that our draft is coming up in a few days.

I've also eliminated the trade deadline which I think is important since it will allow offseason trading of potential keeper picks.

One last question, I have always believed that trades should never be vetoed unless collusion is suspected and this is why we have not allowed trade veto owner voting. I review all trades to make sure that there are no owners working together to rig a trade. Fantasy Football is too subjective. What seems fair to one person may seem unfair to another. For this fact I have always felt that it was important to never veto trades based on value or perceived value.

I just wanted to get everyones input on this again especially since we are now a keeper league.
Old 08-20-17, 01:07 PM   #59
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Draft reminder!!! Less than 2 hours!
Old 08-20-17, 02:56 PM   #60
DVD Talk Hero

I have to do lite draft since my browser for some reason isn't liking flash.
Old 08-21-17, 10:02 AM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Mixed feelings about the team I drafted.

Getting the #11 spot, I knew none of the uber-studs were going to be available, and though I coveted Ezekiel Elliott in spite of him looking to miss 6 games plus the bye, I was on the fence about whether it was worth grabbing him with the 14th overall pick, knowing that I would essentially be playing half the season without him. If a lot of RBs had gone in the 1st as I had anticipated, it would've been easier to take Zeke in the 2nd since there are plenty of decent WR2-quality WRs available this year and I could stock-up on them in Rounds 3-6 - particularly if I didn't take an early QB and opted for a QBBC strategy.

Boy did you guys screw up my plans.

I hadn't expected the draft to be so WR-heavy early (6 of the first 9 picks were WRs). When 1.11 came up, I was shocked to see Jordan Howard and Jay Ajayi both sitting on the board. So I happily took Howard. I then expected the guy on the turn (Frey Meat Pie) to take Ajayi and one of the two big QBs.... but was shocked to see him take Melvin Gordon (rehabbing from PCL tear) and Gronk. This put me on the spot, because I had to choose between a full season of Ajayi or a half-season of Zeke - knowing that they'd also likely be one of my two keepers next year.

I chickened out and took Ajayi.

1. David Johnson RB-ARI
2. Le'Veon Bell RB-PIT
3. Antonio Brown WR-PIT
4. Odell Beckham WR-NYG
5. Julio Jones WR-ATL
6. Mike Evans WR-TBB
7. LeSean McCoy RB-BUF
8. Jordy Nelson WR-GBP
9. A.J. Green WR-CIN
10. Devonta Freeman RB-ATL
11. Jordan Howard RB-CHI
12. Melvin Gordon RB-LAC
-
13. Rob Gronkowski TE-NEP
14. Jay Ajayi RB-MIA

To be honest, I was hoping Freeman would fall one more spot because I had him much higher on my board (4th) than Howard (7th). Howard was a bargain at 1.11, but Freeman was a steal at 1.10.

WRs kept flying off the board, with 5 taken in RD2 (Hilton, M.Thomas, Baldwin, Cooper, Bryant) and 5 more in RD3 before my 3.11 came to me (Pryor, Cooks, D.Thomas, Jeffrey, Hopkins). Going into 3.10 both Brady and Rodgers were still sitting there, so I realized that I was going to get a shot at one of them. Brady went 3.10, and I thought long and hard about taking Rodgers at 3.11. Looking again at the guy picking on the turn, with a RB/TE pair already rostered, I felt that if I were in his spot I'd take RB/WR in my picks - the WRs were down to mid-WR2 level (Allen Robinson, Michael Crabtree, Jarvis Landry) and the only quality RBs left were Ty Montgomery and Marshawn Lynch. If he took a QB and passed on either a RB or a WR, the pickings at 5.11 would be poor. So, banking on him *not* taking a QB, I took Allen Robinson (bleh) as my first WR.

FMP took Rodgers and Davante Adams. Sigh. Okay, you can't get everything. I went ahead and took Joe Mixon, since McCaffrey and Cook had already gone, and since I knew that I could now wait until Rd 8 before even looking at QBs. Mixon has looked great in camp, and having a stud rookie RB rostered in a startup Keeper league seems to be a good idea.

So my next 3-4 picks were going to be RB/WRs, with me taking a TE if one dropped to well below his ADP, representing significant value. I didn't even have to think about QBs at this point, because I had already put together a QBBC system that would tell me when it was time to grab them.

My QB approach was simple - take one of the top 2 if either of them were available at 3.11 (1-Brady, 2-Rodgers in that order), otherwise wait until 8 QBs had been taken and then starting in Round 8 choose two complimentary QBs for my QBBC. My QB list, with the first round I would've consider taking them, was:

1-Brady (3)
2-Rodgers (3)
3-Brees
4-Luck
5-Mariota
6-Ryan
7-Wilson
8-Newton
9-Winston
10-Prescott
11-Rapist
12-Dalton (9)
13-Cousins (9)
14-Stafford (9)
15-Rivers (11)
16-Taylor (11)
17-Carr (11)

If no round shown, I can take them in Rd 8.

The QBs taken were:

1-Brady (3.10) (Barkley Bruisers)
... I considered taking Rodgers at 3.11, decided to roll the dice and lost him
2-Rodgers (3.12) (Frey Meat Pie)
... At this point, my QBBC approach kicked in. No QBs taken until 8 are gone and it's Rd 8.
3-Ryan (4.09) (Gridiron Law)
4-Brees (5.01) (Zorbonauts)
5-Newton (5.03) (WD Forte)
6-Wilson (7.05) (UP Laters)
7-Winston (7.07) (mas truth)
8-Cousins (8.05) (Missed It By That Much)
... Okay, 8 are gone and it's Rd 8. My list here says Andrew Luck is my next pick, which is 9.11
9-Mariota (9.02) (Fat Cats)
10-Luck (9.04) (QB2:Gridiron Law)
... There goes Luck, next man up is Dak Prescott
11-Prescott (9.11) <--- (Fightin' Amish)

I then pull up the list of QB2s I prefer if Prescott is my QB1, based on schedule and opponents:

1-Cousins 22.4 (9) [already gone]
2-Carr 21.5 (11)
3-Rivers 21.2 (11)
4-Rapist 20.2 (9)
5-Stafford 18.0 (9)
6-Wentz 16.8 (13)
7-Palmer 15.1 (14)
8-Smith 14.1 (13)
9-Bortles 12.1 (13)
10-Manning 11.7 (12)
11-Watson 7.6 (15)
12-Bradford 7.4 (14)
13-Flacco 7.1 (15)
14-Dalton 3.3 (9)

With Cousins already taken, my targeted QB2 was David Carr, but not until Rd 11. The QBs kept going:

12-Carr (10.06) (QB2:mas truth)
... Okay, targeted QB2 is Philip Rivers in Rd 11.
13-Rivers (10.07) (The Mannings)
... Next up, Ben Roethlisberger
14-Stafford (11.10) (QB2:Barkley Bruisers)
15-Rapist (11.11) <--- (QB2:Fightin' Amish)

Prescott and Roethlisberger have a combined schedule that projects them to scoring 20.2 points more than the 12th-best QB1 alone, and comparable points to the QB7/8 (Wilson/Newton), so I get QB1 production from guys taken in Rds 9 & 11.

The other nice thing about this specific pairing is that Roethlisberger is very good at home, but very mediocre on the road. If I ended up with Roethlisberger as my QB1 I had made a list of immediate QB2s to take based on the assumption that he would get NO points during his road games. Dak Prescott was #2 on that list (1-Stafford 2-Prescott 3-Rivers 4-Dalton), and I had previously taken Prescott as my QB1, so I flip-flopped but got a decent pair.

I ended up taking Carson Palmer with my last pick *only* because he has an oustanding opening series of games (at Detroit, at Indianapolis, Dallas, San Francisco) and I don't have to worry about dealing with bye weeks for my solo positions (TE/PK/TD) until Week 5 at the earliest, so I had the luxury of having a disposable roster slot.

Typically, I take my PK and TD in the third- and second-to-last picks, leaving my final pick to take a "rotating" backup for those positions plus TE. I only draft one starter at those 3 positions, ensuring that the TE is "good", the TD is "adequate", and that the TD/PK have different byes from each other *and* from the TE. I prefer all 3 to have early byes (weeks 5-9). The "rotating" backup will be at the position that the earliest of these three have off, and will be the best available player regardless of bye - just as long as they play during the first week that I need them. Then after they get used, they get dropped to cover my 2nd solo bye, and repeat for the 3rd solo bye. I want the 3 byes as early as possible so I can free up that roster spot for depth at my QB/RB/WR spots.

The solo players I took were:
6.02 TE Jimmy Graham (SEA) ADP=57 (4.09) - bargain BYE=6
14.02 TD Eagles (PHI) - best available defense not bye=6 - BYE=10
15.11 Will Lutz (NOS) - best available kicker not on bye=6/10 - BYE=5

So if not for Carson Palmer being available, my 16.02 would've been a kicker who wasn't off in Week 5. Turns out Palmer made that moot.

The team I ended up with is:

QB1 Dak Prescott (DAL) (9.11)
QB2 Ben Roethlisberger (PIT) (11.11)
QB3 Carson Palmer (ARI) (16.02)

RB1 Jordan Howard (CHI) (1.11)
RB2 Jay Ajayi (MIA) (2.02)
RB3 (R)Joe Mixon (CIN) (4.02)
RB4 Tevin Coleman (ATL) (7.11)
RB5 Rex Burkhead (NEP) (12.02)

WR1 Allen Robinson (JAX) (3.11)
WR2 Sammy Watkins (LAR) (5.11)
WR3 DeVante Parker (MIA) (8.02)
WR4 (R)Corey Davis (TEN) (10.02)
WR5 Robby Anderson (NYJ) (13.11)

TE1 Jimmy Graham (SEA) (6.02)
PK1 Will Lutz (NOS) (15.11)
TD1 Eagles (PHI) (14.02)

Mixon and Davis are investments in the future. Coleman is because I didn't get Freeman and I'm still hoping to cash-in on the Falcon running game. Anderson was because my WR1/WR2 players share the same bye week and I wanted to have a 3rd WR on my roster who would be available that week. The Jets play San Diego in Week 8, and with the Jets looking to play from behind all year -plus- Eric Decker having gone to Tennessee, Anderson looked to be an okay WR5.

Burkhead was because I feel that the Pats will trade Dion Lewis and/or James White - it's tough to get a read on the Patriot backfield, as usual, and if you have the luxury of being able to stash one of their RBs until the season gets underway to see how they're going to be used I feel you'd be foolish not to. If Lewis or White get dealt, Burkhead's experience may give him the goalline looks that Gillislee may not get.

Bottom line:
(1) I hope I don't end up regretting passing on Zeke at 2.02
(2) I hope I don't end up regretting passing on Rodgers 3.11
(3) I hope my RB strength and good-looking QBBC makes up for you guys stocking up on all the good WRs
(4) I expect to flex 3 RBs all season
(5) I hope one of my rookies blossom (preferably Mixon) and demand that they be a kept with Howard next year

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-21-17 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-21-17, 11:09 AM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

By they way, looking at the first two rounds of picks, who drafted them, and who that owner plays when those players are on a bye, it looks like Frey Meat Pie got the best schedule, because they won't have to play against Julio Jones, Jordy Nelson, Jay Ajayi, Todd Gurley, Ezekiel Elliott, or Dez Bryant... that's six of the first 24 drafted players:

1. David Johnson (bye=8) vs Team Burke
2. LeVeon Bell (9) vs The Mannings
3. Antonio Brown (9) vs Zorbonauts
4. Odell Beckham (8) vs Fightin' Amish
5. Julio Jones (5) vs Frey Meat Pie
6. Mike Evans (11) vs WD Forte
7. LeSean McCoy (6) vs The Mannings
8. Jordy Nelson (8) vs Frey Meat Pie
9. A.J. Green (6) vs UP Laters
10. Devonta Freeman (5) vs The Mannings
11. Jordan Howard (9) vs Barkley Bruisers
12. Melvin Gordon (9) vs mas truth
13. Rob Gronkowski (9) vs mas truth
14. Jay Ajayi (11) vs Frey Meat Pie
15. T.Y. Hilton (11) vs Fat Cats
16. Michael Thomas (5) vs Fightin' Amish
17. Todd Gurley (8) vs Frey Meat Pie
18. Leonard Fournette (8) vs Barkley Bruisers
19. Demarco Murray (8) vs UP Laters
20. Doug Baldwin (6) vs Team Burke
21a. Ezekiel Elliott (1-susp) vs Missed It By That Much
21b. Ezekiel Elliott (2-susp) vs Team Burke
21c. Ezekiel Elliott (3-susp) vs WD Forte
21d. Ezekiel Elliott (4-susp) vs The Mannings
21e. Ezekiel Elliott (5-susp) vs Frey Meat Pie
21f. Ezekiel Elliott (6-bye) vs Barkley Bruisers
21g. Ezekiel Elliott (7-susp) vs mas truth
22. Amari Cooper (10) vs WD Forte
23. Isaiah Crowell (9) vs The Mannings
24 Dez Bryant (6) vs Frey Meat Pie

Total Count:

6 Frey Meat Pie (Jones, Nelson, Ajayi, Gurley, Bryant, Elliott)
5 The Mannings (Bell, McCoy, Freeman, Crowell, Elliott)
3 Barkley Bruisers (Howard, Fournette, Elliott)
3 mas truth (Gordon, Gronkowski, Elliott)
3 Team Burke (Johnson. Baldwin, Elliott)
2.5 --- League Average ---
2 Fightin' Amish (Bechkam, M.Thomas)
2 Missed It By That Much (Elliott, Cooper)
2 UP Laters (Green, Murray)
2 WD Forte (Evans, Elliott)
1 Fat Cats (Hilton)
1 Zorbonauts (Brown)
0 Gridiron Law

bold = First Round Pick
Old 08-21-17, 11:14 AM   #63
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the recap, kenbuzz. I pretty much whiffed on the draft because even worse than being at home or on the road, I was at home getting ready to hit the road. I only checked in to see that I was going to be auto-drafted Russell Wilson, so I confirmed that (saving the league a minute of wait time!) even though I had no idea who else was on my team at the time. And I never would've drafted three WRs to start. Oh well--maybe this team will turn out to be better than the one I would've taken.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 08-21-17, 11:22 AM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
By they way, looking at the first two rounds of picks, who drafted them, and who that owner plays when those players are on a bye, it looks like Frey Meat Pie got the best schedule, because they won't have to play against Julio Jones, Jordy Nelson, Jay Ajayi, Todd Gurley, Ezekiel Elliott, or Dez Bryant... that's six of the first 24 drafted players:

Total Count:

1 Fat Cats (Hilton)
1 Zorbonauts (Brown)
0 Gridiron Law

bold = First Round Pick
The bottom line appears to be that my draft was as bad as I feared it was.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 08-22-17, 11:52 AM   #65
DVD Talk Hero

I can't wait to lose to at least one owner that starts a player on a bye. Happens every year
Old 08-22-17, 08:19 PM   #66
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:

Total Count:

1 Fat Cats (Hilton)
1 Zorbonauts (Brown)
0 Gridiron Law

bold = First Round Pick
Great recap! I'm pretty happy with my draft but mainly because I didn't expect Dez to fall all the way to #24. I'm not a huge Dez fan but "if" and that's a big "IF" he stays healthy, I'll have a 1st round WR that I snagged at the bottom of the 2nd. It allowed me to reach a bit on Dalvin Cook. Hoping Dalvin will become keeper #2 for next year meaning Dez would be available next year.
Old 09-01-17, 07:07 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know nobody reads the league page, so I thought I'd post here instead. Anyone interested in McFadden? Looking for WRs. Team Fat Cats, submit an offer (willing to trade more then McFadden to make a deal).
Old 09-04-17, 10:29 PM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

So I'm in another league, my "home" league back in Dayton that we started in the 80's (sheesh, we're just a few years away from being in our FIFTH decade!). That league has 12 teams and uses BASIC scoring - the way FFB used to be played - TDs only (4 for QBs, 6 for everyone else) plus FGs (3), XPs (1), and 2-Pt Conversions (QB=1, everyone else=2). I was drafting in the 7 slot and for some reason the owners tend to snap up QBs early.

1. David Johnson
2. LeVeon Bell
3. LeSean McCoy (I though A.Brown should go here)
4. Aaron Rodgers (yup, first QB)
5. Ezekiel Elliott (what?!?)
6. Tom Brady (yup, 2nd QB)

7. Okay, what the hell, I'll take Antonio Brown

8. Gronk
9. Mike Evans
10. Jay Ajayi
11. Devonta Freeman (a bargain at 1.11)
12. AJ Green (the guy drafting in 12 is a huge Bengals homer)

13. Jordy Nelson
14. OBJ
15. Michael Thomas
16. Brandin Cooks (WR run... good thing I already got Brown)
17. DeMarco Murray

So, I pick next and I can have Julio Jones or Kareem Hunt. The thought of AB and JJ on my team was sure appealing, but I figured 6-7 RBs would go before 3.07 and really liked having Hunt as my RB1.

18. Kareem Hunt (heh heh!)

19. Julio Jones (This will haunt me all season)
20. Davante Adams
21. Jordan Howard
22. Melvin Gordon
23. Leonard Fournette
24. Todd Gurley

25. Dez Bryant
26. Marshawn Lynch
27. Carlos Hyde (what did I say about RBs flying off before 3.07?)
28. Michael Crabtree (reach!)
29. Amari Cooper (damn, I was hoping he'd fall two more spots)
30. Doug Baldwin

31. Dalvin Cook

I ended up with:
1.07 Antonio Brown (WR-PIT)
2.06 Kareem Hunt (RB-KCC)
3.07 Dalvin Cook (RB-MIN)
4.06 Lamar Miller (RB-HOU)
5.07 Travis Kelce (TE-KCC)
6.06 Jameis Winston (QB-TBB)
7.07 Sammy Watkins (WR-LAR)
8.06 Ben Roethlisberger (QB-PIT)
9.07 Eric Decker (WR-TEN) <--- a mistake, I meant to get Chris Hogan but fat-fingered it
10.06 Paul Perkins (RB-NYG)
11.07 Jeremy Maclin (WR-BAL)
12.06 Matt Prater (PK-DET)

By position (w/byes):
QB: Winston (11) / Rapist (9) (will generally start Ben if at home, Winston otherwise, unless one is playing CHI and the other MIN)
RB: Hunt (10) / Cook (9) / Miller (7) / Perkins (8)
WR: A.Brown (9) / Watkins (8) / Decker (8) / Maclin (10)
TE: Kelce (10)
PK: Prater (7)

Normal starters in BOLD. We start 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE and 2 flex RB/WR/TE. Shallow benches encourage active management via the waiver wire and trades. I expect Decker or Maclin to be the first guy to go when I have to deal with the TE/PK bye weeks. Fortunately, the first one isn't until week 7, so I'll let those two guys audition for a role. If I had to decide today, I'd cut Decker because I have a hunch that Maclin will have a big year, and because he has a better bye than Decker. I like how my RB byes worked out, I will always have two of my top 3 RBs available regardless of week and if I choose to run the wishbone and use both flex spots on RBs, Perkins only has to play in weeks 7 (SEA), 9 (LAR) and 10 (SFF). His schedule is pretty damn complimentary - which is why I took him when I did.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 09-04-17 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 10:14 AM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

Blah..... Tampa/Miami is postponed. Bad news, I'm forced into a road start for Rapist. Good news, it's Cleveland. Bad news, even at Cleveland he's pretty awful on the road:

2016: 23/36 167-0-0 6.68
3-year average: 13.25 pts @CLE
Old 09-06-17, 10:47 AM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

Updated to account for the Tampa-Miami game moving to Week 11, and Zeke Elliott playing this week and -then- serving a 6-game suspension.

6. Mike Evans (1) vs Team Burke WD Forte
14. Jay Ajayi (1) vs UP Laters Frey Meat Pie
21h. Ezekiel Elliott (8-susp) vs Fightin' Amish

Total Count:

5 Frey Meat Pie (Jones, Nelson, Gurley, Bryant, Elliott) [-1/Ajayi]
4 Team Burke (Johnson, Evans, Baldwin, Elliott) [+1/Evans]
3 Fightin' Amish (Bechkam, M.Thomas, Elliott) [+1/Elliott]
3 UP Laters (Green, Ajayi, Murray) [+1/Ajayi]
1 Missed It By That Much (Cooper) [-1/Elliott]
1 WD Forte (Elliott) [-1/Evans]
1 Fat Cats (Hilton)
1 Zorbonauts (Brown)
0 Gridiron Law

bold = First Round Pick

Gains: Team Burke (1.06 Mike Evans), UP Laters (2.02 Jay Ajayi), Fightin' Amish (2.09 Ezekiel Elliott)
Losses: WD Forte (1.06 Mike Evans), Frey Meat Pie (2.02 Jay Ajayi), Missed It By That Much (2.09 Ezekiel Elliott)
Old 09-30-17, 10:31 PM   #71
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pushed trade between Fat Cats and Mannings through tonight... will continue to push trades before 24 hours as needed if impacts weeks games.

No collusion suspected- trade complete.
Old 10-05-17, 09:59 AM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

Guys:

A month in and it's apparent that the Amish had a horrible draft. Jordan Howard and the Bears were so woeful that he got benched for week 4 - just in time for a 20 point game. I've had players get knocked out in the 1st quarter seemingly every week, I've had back-to-back-to-back weeks where at least two starters couldn't score more than 1.8 points. I went RB-RB in the first two rounds, so my WRs were thin, and I lost my WR1 for the season after half a game. And on and on and on.

That hasn't stopped some of you from trying to take advantage of me. Don't blame you - if there's a guy with RB depth who's in the cellar, hey, he might be desperate.

It took 2-3 weeks for me to finally talk one owner down from his one-sided offers to come up with a deal that helped both teams.... but between the time we pulled the trigger and when the two WRs I was getting could be used, one of them went down and will be out for a month... by the time he gets back in November my season will be over, and I effectively traded one decent RB for one below-par WR, further hurting my team.

But last night.... geezus. The offer I got doesn't even rise to the level of date rape.

I'm not going to out the owner who tried to pull this crap, but guys, please at least have some respect. Yeah, my team sucks, but I'm *trying* to do the best I can with the cards I have. I've been active on the waiver wire, I'm *not* tanking the season and will do everything in my power to beat the crap out of each and every one of you week in and week out. Please don't insult me by making ridonkulous lowball offers - asking me to give you my RB1 Jay Ajayi (the best dude on my pathetic team) *and* my WR2 DeSean Jackson for a bag of magic beans, a guy on IR, and a half empty jar of lube is just effing insulting.

If you're not serious, please don't bother with the offer.

As far as this owner goes - I've sent him a private note describing how lowly I thought of his offer. I'm interested to hear his response. Maybe he thought it was a legit offer and didn't realize how blatantly one-sided I view it as. Or maybe he thinks my team is just a 7-11, a place he can go to and just lift items he wants off the shelf. I don't know, and I owe him the chance to explain himself - privately - because like I said, I'm not interested in outing him.

But right now, there's a very small gap between my opinion of his offer and my likely-to-soon-be declining opinion of him.

/rant

Last edited by kenbuzz; 10-05-17 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-05-17, 11:17 AM   #73
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*disclosure- offer wasnít from me.

Iíve got the say that I find it baffling that people get so ďinsultedĒ by offers. You are not alone Ken in this feeling of ďinsultĒ. There are many others that have expressed the same thing. I just donít understand why people get so insulted. Ive got some pretty bad offers over the years but I just chalk it up to value differences and move on....

And although I didnít make the insulting offer that Ken is referring to, Iím sure that Iíve sent some offers through that others thought were ďinsultingĒ as well over the years.

Iím guessing that no one means to insult but rather we all have perception differences about players. Thatís one reason I donít allow owner vetos... itís all about ďperceivedĒ values... as long as no collusion is suspected- the trade should Always go through.

Even from site to site you will find dramatic differences in values.. my personal favorite site for comparing trade values is CBS weekly trade values but fantasy pros is pretty good too.

Everyone obviously wants to get the better end of the deal but as Iíve learned over 15 years of Fantasy football, the only way a deal usually gets done is if both parties ďcompriseĒ in their own values.

No one means to insult- we just all view players differently.
Old 10-05-17, 11:26 AM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

With respect to Amplified, that's just utter bullshit man. People in this league routinely make garbage offers which they know are garbage. It's not about perceptions.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 10-05-17, 11:44 AM   #75
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
With respect to Amplified, that's just utter bullshit man. People in this league routinely make garbage offers which they know are garbage. It's not about perceptions.
Couldnít disagree with you more Josh..

It is 100% about perceived value. Ken obviously holds Ajayi much higher than I would or maybe others in this league. Thatís perception. Thereís a reason that so many different sites have players ranked so differently. And these are guys who do this for a living.

If you donít like a trade- decline it and move on. Thereís no wining in fantasy football