Old 06-14-17, 04:44 PM   #1
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mayweather vs. McGregor - August 26th

Can't believe they got it done

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...nalized-aug-26
Old 06-14-17, 04:52 PM   #2
DVD Talk God

Re: Mayweather vs. McGregor - August 26th

Please if there is a God, let MacGregor beat him.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 06-14-17, 06:30 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Not for the fight, but that so many colossal egos could agree on something.

I also hope McGregor wins because it would be far less boring of a result.
Old 06-14-17, 07:01 PM   #4
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Straight up Boxing? I don't see how MacGregor has a shot, but I would love to see it happen.
Old 06-14-17, 07:23 PM   #5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Conor gonna knock Floyd out. That is, if he can catch him on the run.
I dont think either guy cares with all the money being made. Win or lose, Conor wont be back in UFC.
100 Million, I'd let either guy pepper me all night.
Old 06-14-17, 07:32 PM   #6

two douchebags.

but really, I don't think McGregor could beat any of Mayweather's opponents from the last 15 years in a boxing match.
Old 06-14-17, 07:41 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Why would Conor agree to a pure boxing match against one of the best boxers of all-time?

I think it'll be worse than Forrest vs Silva.

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 06-14-17, 08:23 PM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Why would Conor agree to a pure boxing match against one of the best boxers of all-time?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I doubt he's getting close to the money Mayweather is for this. But even if it's not a 9 figure amount, it will be a strong 8 figure amount. And as the guy fighting outside of his discipline, there are no expectations for him. It will be easy to save face and do whatever he wants for the rest of his life with as much money as anyone could need.
Old 06-14-17, 08:35 PM   #9
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezln94 View Post
two douchebags.

but really, I don't think McGregor could beat any of Mayweather's opponents from the last 15 years in a boxing match.
Only one of them beats women that we know of....
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 06-15-17, 12:09 AM   #10
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wish I could say otherwise, but they've got my money and my interest.
Old 06-15-17, 07:02 AM   #11
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Am I missing something here but can McGregor actually straight up Box? Now I disdain Mayweather (plus his fighting style is boring as hell even though he is one of the best), but I don't see how this will be a contest? Please someone correct me if my thinking is old school because I'm not an MMA fan?
Old 06-15-17, 07:26 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
McGregor is the one with nothing to lose. He gets his massive payday and if he loses.. oh well.. he fought outside his discipline against one of the best boxers ever.

But Mayweather? If he loses, as crazy as it would be, not only would his perfect record be tarnished but so will the entire sport of boxing. He's carrying a lot on his shoulders for this fight.

But at the end of the day we know what drives both of these guys -- $$$$$. I hate it when two fighters are in this negotiating stage and the promoter goes on a publicity tour saying things like "we really hope to get this deal done because these two really want to fight"... bullshit, if they wanted to fight, they would fight. They want to get paid first and foremost.
Old 06-15-17, 10:51 AM   #13
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll watch it and I'm excited that it's actually happening. But Conor can't box. If you think that head hunting he does with MMA size gloves is gonna translate to the boxing ring I'd say you're delusional. There's probably a 99% chance Conor's cardio disappears by the third or fourth round and Floyd TKO's him will relative ease in 6/7.
Old 06-15-17, 10:57 AM   #14
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Am I missing something here but can McGregor actually straight up Box? Now I disdain Mayweather (plus his fighting style is boring as hell even though he is one of the best), but I don't see how this will be a contest? Please someone correct me if my thinking is old school because I'm not an MMA fan?
I don't think McGregor will win, but he's considered an elite striker by MMA standards. His punches are precise and most importantly, powerful. His left hand is special, it drops everyone he fights. He's not just a brawler throwing haymakers.
Old 06-15-17, 11:15 AM   #15
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
But Conor can't box.

Old 06-15-17, 11:23 AM   #16
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post

I'm a big Conor fan. But there is a WORLD of difference between boxing and MMA. Too much for an internet post. And no, Conor can't box. This is why the line is around -1100 right now and will close around -800 & why you have people like Max Kellerman predicting "Conor won't land a single punch".
Old 06-15-17, 11:46 AM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

I have no idea how good of a boxer he is, but he did start boxing as a kid and was some kind of national youth champ, and has supposedly continued to spar.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 06-15-17, 01:16 PM   #18
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
I'm a big Conor fan. But there is a WORLD of difference between boxing and MMA. Too much for an internet post. And no, Conor can't box. This is why the line is around -1100 right now and will close around -800 & why you have people like Max Kellerman predicting "Conor won't land a single punch".
Don't be one of those combat sports snobs or elitists (like Kellerman). Boxing is simply the act of fighting with your fists, and boxing is a big part of MMA. Let's not act like mixed martial artists don't hit bags, pads, and spar as part of their regular training.

Pro fighters CAN box, some really well like Conor, but boxers will always be ahead since they solely focus on fighting with their fists while the MMAers train in multiple disciplines of fighting.
Old 06-15-17, 01:59 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Conor will lose badly but he stands a puncher's chance of getting lucky early in the fight with a few shots.

After that, it's going to get sloppy and the difference between the two will become manifestly apparent.

Frankly, Conor's only real chance at winning is doing something dirty/illegal in the first or second rounds. It would disqualify him but set up another big payday in a rematch.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 06-15-17, 03:03 PM   #20
DVD Talk Special Edition

No interest in watching this. Not even going to waste my time trying to find a free stream. McGregor needs to defend a UFC belt, never mind this shitfest. He's going to get smoked and then retire. Teddy Atlas was laughing at his chances this morning on ESPN. I don't blame McGregor for pushing for it - he's gonna make a ton of cash.
I think it sets MMA back 15 years - when McGregor gets his ass handed to him, we'll be back at the "it's not a real sport" scenario again. And it takes boxing back to the Ali/Inoki "classic".

I can't wait for the "OMG - I spent $100 on this crap - I want my money back" posts all over Facebook ten minutes after the fight. Just like after the Mayweather/Pacquiao debacle.
Old 06-15-17, 03:14 PM   #21
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Meh, I except another to-decision snoozefest that Mayweather wins cause all he does is avoid and quick jabs. He's gonna do everything he can to win, including running around the ring and dodging whatever he can rather than actually having a fight.

That being said, I REALLY hope McGregor knocks him TF out. Break his nose...take a few teeth. The guy needs a beating.
Old 06-15-17, 03:19 PM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
I think it sets MMA back 15 years - when McGregor gets his ass handed to him, we'll be back at the "it's not a real sport" scenario again. And it takes boxing back to the Ali/Inoki "classic".
So by that logic if McGregor somehow wins boxing will cease to exist before sunrise the next day.

I think fans are a little more savvy than you are willing to give them credit for and understand the MMA guy is boxing a world champion boxer.
Old 06-15-17, 03:41 PM   #23
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
I think fans are a little more savvy than you are willing to give them credit for and understand the MMA guy is boxing a world champion boxer.
I doubt it. I think a lot of the people who will buy this are the kind who watch boxing once every year or two when a massively hyped fight is on. Much like the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight with the number of people who couldn't believe it wasn't a barn burner.
Old 06-15-17, 04:36 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
I doubt it. I think a lot of the people who will buy this are the kind who watch boxing once every year or two when a massively hyped fight is on. Much like the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight with the number of people who couldn't believe it wasn't a barn burner.
True, but the kind of people who take an interest in combat sports once every few years when something unusual comes up are not the fans who support the business. Any negative opinion they form should McGregor do poorly won't advance the sport, but you can't lose fans you don't already have. Unless you think MMA fans will desert the sport in droves I think saying the sport will be set back to a time when it had just barely been made legal in Nevada might be overstating things.
Old 06-15-17, 07:06 PM   #25
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm interested in this, however without reading a ton of the previous posts I will say this...Mayweather will just run around the ring long enough to not take much contact, still look good, collect a paycheck, and win by a point or two. That's his story. Watching his bouts is like watching paint dry.