Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Who will be the first pick in the 2017 NFL draft?
Jamal Adams, S, LSU 0 0%
Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama 0 0%
Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU 0 0%
Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M 11 100.00%
Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State 0 0%
Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State 0 0%
Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford 0 0%
Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-17, 11:35 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 2017 NFL Draft - Thursday, April 27 - Saturday, April 29

Lol, Hawks trade out of the 1st round...sigh, not a surprise....tomorrow should be fun.
Old 04-28-17, 12:52 AM   #52
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who will be the first pick (in the 2nd Round) of the 2017 NFL draft? Which belongs to the Packers...
Old 04-28-17, 08:34 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
Who will be the first pick (in the 2nd Round) of the 2017 NFL draft? Which belongs to the Packers...
Could be Forrest Lamp
Old 04-28-17, 09:14 AM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
I am shocked the Jets took Adams...in a good way. Figured they would take Lattimore and he would blow out his hamstring walking to the stage.
I know next to nothing about college football so I rely on mock drafts and the such to give me the necessary information before the draft. Much like it was with Leonard Williams, I didn't bother to read anything about Adams assuming that he'd be taken before the Jets got a chance. I suppose that's good.

That makes it 9 (NINE!) straight years drafting defense in the first round. You'd think by now the Jets would have a great defense constantly filled with young talent.... but nope.
Old 04-28-17, 09:44 AM   #55
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I think the Browns have had just an incredible day. They really improved their team very quickly and still have a ton of picks next year. This could be a very good team come the end of the decade.
Good picks indeed. But, any team needs a top quarterback to succeed, so they better plan on sucking and sucking hard this year to put themselves into position to get lucky with a QB next year.
Old 04-28-17, 10:13 AM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Lol, Hawks trade out of the 1st round...sigh, not a surprise....tomorrow should be fun.
I was out for the end of the draft so I scrolled through the results later and saw a DE at #26, which confused me, then I noticed there was no Seahawks logo but a trade icon. So... yeah. I guess they didn't like the Wisconsin tackle. At least I should be able to follow the action today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Punisher 611 View Post
Could be Forrest Lamp
I assume the Seahawks would have interest in him after missing out on TJ Lang and if they move Ifedi to RT. Or Cam Robinson. Or Kevin King, a local guy who fits how they like their corners to be physically and athletically. I wouldn't be surprised if they had their eyes on the injured Sidney Jones with one of their extra picks.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016

Last edited by davidh777; 04-28-17 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-28-17, 10:13 AM   #57
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I know next to nothing about college football so I rely on mock drafts and the such to give me the necessary information before the draft. Much like it was with Leonard Williams, I didn't bother to read anything about Adams assuming that he'd be taken before the Jets got a chance. I suppose that's good.

That makes it 9 (NINE!) straight years drafting defense in the first round. You'd think by now the Jets would have a great defense constantly filled with young talent.... but nope.
Not quite 9 years. You forgot about this gem:
2009 Mark Sanchez = Let's trade up for a QB that started one year. What could go wrong?

Then in 2010, we started with this group:

Kyle Wilson = Maybe we should put some weapons around our young QB? Nope, lets draft this pile of dogshit instead.

Muhammad Wilkerson = Great player until he got paid and disappeared.

Quinton Coples = Trash

Dee Milliner = Mr. Glass from Unbreakable

Sheldon Richardson = Talented but an immature asshole

Calvin Pryor = We Need A WR, but instead of Cooks or Benjamin, lets draft this turd to play safety

Leonard Williams = Great Pick

Darron Lee = Ugh

Jamal Adams = Should be a great player

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 04-28-17, 10:53 AM   #58
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
Good picks indeed. But, any team needs a top quarterback to succeed, so they better plan on sucking and sucking hard this year to put themselves into position to get lucky with a QB next year.
They don't really need to be. They have four picks in the first two rounds. They have ammo to get up to #1 if they have to.

There are no franchise QBs in this draft. There are some players who would be solid pros, but no one even like an Andrew Luck. So the Browns are smart to take players at other positions.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 04-28-17, 11:10 AM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
There are no franchise QBs in this draft. There are some players who would be solid pros, but no one even like an Andrew Luck. So the Browns are smart to take players at other positions.
Plus I have to believe they're tired of wasting their high picks on QBs that don't pan out and wanted to change their strategy and get a much better chance of solid players in other positions.

They'll probably draft a QB in a later round as a low-risk gamble since we've seen some current NFL starters being drafted later (ie. Dak, Wilson, Cousins, Carr, Siemian).
Old 04-28-17, 11:15 AM   #60
DVD Talk Hero

Bears gave up a crap load for Trubisky. Kind of similar to what the Rams did last year. They really gambled. He could have easily been available at #3 already.
Old 04-28-17, 11:17 AM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Bears gave up a crap load for Trubisky. Kind of similar to what the Rams did last year. They really gambled. He could have easily been available at #3 already.
I get the feeling that Lynch convinced the niners that there was another team looking to move up to #2 for Trubisky and they fell for it.

Old 04-28-17, 11:26 AM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I get the feeling that Lynch convinced the niners that there was another team looking to move up to #2 for Trubisky and they fell for it.
You mean Bears and yes if that was the case, brilliant 1st draft by Lynch. Suckered the Bears into giving up more than they should have. Lynch has a lot of pieces now to rebuild the Niners.
Old 04-28-17, 11:32 AM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

Two teams wanted to trade up for Trubisky, and the 49ers and Lynch played them against each other.

Another interesting sidenote regarding the 49ers other pick: Foster was already told by the Saints that they were picking him when the 49ers called him and told him they were picking him. That trade happened fast and I have no idea how the 49ers pulled that off either.
Old 04-28-17, 11:47 AM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Plus I have to believe they're tired of wasting their high picks on QBs that don't pan out and wanted to change their strategy and get a much better chance of solid players in other positions.

They'll probably draft a QB in a later round as a low-risk gamble since we've seen some current NFL starters being drafted later (ie. Dak, Wilson, Cousins, Carr, Siemian).
Everyone is enamored with the idea of getting the advantage that teams like the Cowboys and Seahawks have/had. Get a solid QB, even a franchise QB, and be able to pay them peanuts for a number of years, so you can use your cap dollars on the rest of the team.

But is trading up in the first round the way to do it? I mean, let's look at who these QBs are over the past few years: Prescott, Carr, Wilson, Luck, maybe Wentz, off the top of my head. Luck was an obvious #1, but the rest?

I think these GMs are going about chasing something in the wrong way.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 04-28-17, 12:48 PM   #65
DVD Talk Hero

I'm REALLY of two minds with this Chiefs trade.

On one hand it's a shit-ton to give up to trade to move up. Especially for a guy I'm not at all convinced will be a franchise QB. And it's not in any way a move that will help get them over the hump next year. They really weren't a team in desperate need of a QB - and won't even play him this season.

On the other hand, they never have a great QB in their franchise. If Reid is convinced this guy will be a great QB in the future, I guess grabbing him at 10 makes sense. They would never get one late in the first round (and if they hadn't done this, chances are high that they'd be drafting late in the first round again next season). It's a big calculated risk, but I trust Reid enough to give him some benefit of the doubt. I sure hope Mahomes pans out, if not it really, really sets the franchise back.
But this isn't the Browns - this is their first First-Round QB since Todd Blackledge in 1983 (and we all remember how that turned out). Maybe taking the Home Run swing is actually a smart move? I'm not sure...

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 04-28-17, 02:09 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post

On one hand it's a shit-ton to give up to trade to move up. Especially for a guy I'm not at all convinced will be a franchise QB. And it's not in any way a move that will help get them over the hump next year. They really weren't a team in desperate need of a QB - and won't even play him this season.

On the other hand, they never have a great QB in their franchise. If Reid is convinced this guy will be a great QB in the future, I guess grabbing him at 10 makes sense. They would never get one late in the first round (and if they hadn't done this, chances are high that they'd be drafting late in the first round again next season). It's a big calculated risk, but I trust Reid enough to give him some benefit of the doubt. I sure hope Mahomes pans out, if not it really, really sets the franchise back.
But this isn't the Browns - this is their first First-Round QB since Todd Blackledge in 1983 (and we all remember how that turned out). Maybe taking the Home Run swing is actually a smart move? I'm not sure...
My personal belief is that you do not trade up for a project. You let a project fall to you. Mahomes is a major project. Now learning from Andy Reid is not a bad thing. But I'm not sold he will be a great NFL QB. And he better be for what they gave up to get him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
You mean Bears and yes if that was the case, brilliant 1st draft by Lynch. Suckered the Bears into giving up more than they should have. Lynch has a lot of pieces now to rebuild the Niners.
Yes, you are right, I meant the Bears.

Old 04-28-17, 02:23 PM   #67
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
They don't really need to be. They have four picks in the first two rounds. They have ammo to get up to #1 if they have to.

We don't disagree on the strategy, we disagree on the luck necessary to get the right QB.

First, QB is a crap shoot, first and foremost. And since you served him up, all that Andrew Luck has proved, is an inability to win the big games. So, you need to get lucky. Further, nobody last year REMOTELY was given the so-called franchise tag and at least two NOBODY would give up for in a straight trade to get Andrew Luck.

Two, if this draft proves anything, it's that teams will do what it takes to get the quarterback that they are willing to gamble on. So, having the ammo isn't necessarily enough. Because if other guys want a QB desperately, they won't draft down.

Where does that leave you and your franchise?
Old 04-28-17, 07:27 PM   #68
DVD Talk Hero

Seahawks trade down again, and the OT Robinson gets picked in that spot? I sure hope they were targeting Lamp.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 04-28-17, 07:34 PM   #69
DVD Talk Hero

Seahawks take a DT. I give up trying to figure them out.
Old 04-28-17, 07:41 PM   #70
DVD Talk God

A very well connected source told me the Cards would take Reddick and Baker if they had chance for both. They had to trade up to get Baker, but so far their draft has been a success in terms of getting exactly who they wanted.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 04-28-17, 07:43 PM   #71
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
A very well connected source told me the Cards would take Reddick and Baker if they had chance for both. They had to trade up to get Baker, but so far their draft has been a success in terms of getting exactly who they wanted.
I like Baker and hope he does well for you. Not TOO well, though.
Old 04-28-17, 07:46 PM   #72
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post

First, QB is a crap shoot, first and foremost. And since you served him up, all that Andrew Luck has proved, is an inability to win the big games. So, you need to get lucky. Further, nobody last year REMOTELY was given the so-called franchise tag and at least two NOBODY would give up for in a straight trade to get Andrew Luck.
This paragraph is pure gibberish. The only part I can understand is that Luck can't win "the big game" but he won three Playoff games in his first three years so even that statement is nonsense.
Old 04-28-17, 07:48 PM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post

Hey it worked for the Rams, right? Decent defense, what seemed like a great running back, always played their division well, if they got a franchise QB at number 1 while moving to LA, that's great!

Man for fantasy purposes I was hoping Latavius Murray would have a backfield to himself.

Man Juju's still around? I wouldn't mind my Bengals taking him but that seems unlikely considering they already picked a receiver.

And they pick Mixon, I guess it's a perfect fit for the Bengals.

Last edited by fujishig; 04-28-17 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-28-17, 08:37 PM   #74
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bengals select Mixon who punch a female student resulting 4 broken bones to her face. This jerk should never play in the NFL.
Old 04-28-17, 08:45 PM   #75
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I read even people around the OU program were telling teams not to buy the Mixon's act of contrition, he's a piece of shit.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation