Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-16-17, 08:57 PM   #101
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Thank God.
Old 05-16-17, 09:00 PM   #102
DVD Talk Godfather

Totally rigged for Ball to go to the Lakers at #2 If we didn't go on that win streak we could have been PHX and dropped

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-16-17, 09:01 PM   #103
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Welcome to the Lakers, Lonzo.

Celtics/Lakers 1 and 2. Let the conspiracy theories resume.
If dopey Magic Johnson didn't open his mouth last week and say there was NO way they losing their pick, then people wouldn't think it's rigged.

As a Sixers fan I'm still happy at #3, as we'll get a G or SF. The Lakers probably won't make the playoffs next year so we'll get their unprotected lottery pick in 2018 and we have Sacramento's unprotected 1st round pick in 2019.
Old 05-16-17, 09:04 PM   #104
DVD Talk God

3 top NBA markets get top 3 picks. Hmmmmm
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 05-16-17, 09:04 PM   #105
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
If dopey Magic Johnson didn't open his mouth last week and say there was NO way they losing their pick, then people wouldn't think it's rigged.
People would think it's rigged regardless of anything Magic says.

Old 05-16-17, 09:17 PM   #106
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can someone please explain why the Lakers would have had the 4th pick (and lose it), if they had the second-worst record?
What happened to those other underpants you had?
Old 05-16-17, 09:23 PM   #107
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlynchfan View Post
is there even any good player to pick from?
Time will tell, but IMO, no. I suspect this will be one of those drafts where more of the lower first rounder picks will fare better than the ones fans were stressing over their team getting the chance to make a mistake on.

I find it very interesting that so many want Fultz now when I thought Murray last year was a far better player, and is showing it now for the Spurs. And he was a very low first round pick.

Now Porter next year? Look out! Lebron like talent.
Old 05-16-17, 09:23 PM   #108
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin View Post
Can someone please explain why the Lakers would have had the 4th pick (and lose it), if they had the second-worst record?
The Lakers traded the rights to that pick to Phoenix back during the Steve Nash trade, and Phoenix since sent that to Philly. The pick is only top 3 protected, so if the Lakers fell out of the top 3 it would have went to the Sixers.

Lakers actually had the third worst record, but in the NBA lottery (hence the name lottery) it just means a higher percentage of getting a top 3 draft pick. It's not guaranteed by worst record like some other sports.

Old 05-16-17, 09:28 PM   #109
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. All teams that don't make the playoffs get lottery balls for one of the top three picks, the number depends on their record, so the worst team has the highest number of balls. After the three initial picks are determined by lottery, picks 4 and on go by record alone. What makes it confusing is to build up drama, the picks are displayed in reverse order.
Old 05-16-17, 09:28 PM   #110
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
The Lakers traded the rights to that pick to Phoenix back during the Steve Nash trade, and Phoenix since sent that to Philly. The pick is only top 3 protected, so if the Lakers fell out of the top 3 it would have went to the Sixers.

Lakers actually had the third worst record, but in the NBA lottery (hence the name lottery) it just means a higher percentage of getting a top 3 draft pick. It's not guaranteed by worst record like some other sports.
Oh, I get it now, actually, since Phoenix had the 2nd-worst record and that slot ended up with the #4 pick. If the Lakers had those odds, they would have been in Phoenix's position, which was #4.
What happened to those other underpants you had?
Old 05-16-17, 09:31 PM   #111
DVD Talk Hero

When Kupchak made that trade back in 2012, he was thinking the Lakers were going to be a championship team. So he gambled with the team's future. As we all know, it burned them big time with Nash being on IL most of his stint.
Old 05-16-17, 09:32 PM   #112
DVD Talk Legend

No. The lottery balls were picked and the Celtics, who had the best odds, got the first pick. Then the Lakers, who had the third best odds, had their lottery balk get picked and leapfrogged Phoenix and the 76ers. Lastly the 76ers lottery ball got drawn for the third pick. The Suns automatically get the fourth pick and it goes on from the.

Or the envelopes were predetermined months and months ago, screwing Phoenix.

Heck Phoenix didn't even have any idea just how bad the Lakers would be or they wouldn't have given the pick up for Brandon Knight. The Lakers really defied odds by getting the number 2 pick three years in a row. If they lost the pick this year they still would have lost their pick next year too due to a different trade.

Now ask a Nets fan how the team with the best record in the East got the number one pick.
Old 05-16-17, 09:34 PM   #113
DVD Talk Hero

I watched it while running on the treadmill at the gym and let out the loudest "Yes!" when they opened #4 with a Phoenix logo. Everyone spun around.
Unlike the last two #2s, this year it is as a #1, Fultz would go to the Celtics at 1 or 2, Ball to the Lakers at 1 or 2. I really believe that.
If the Lakers had #3, I think they would have traded it to the Pacers for a year of Paul George. But with Ball, I think they just wait him out.
Old 05-16-17, 09:37 PM   #114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
No. The lottery balls were picked and the Celtics, who had the best odds, got the first pick. Then the Lakers, who had the third best odds, had their lottery balk get picked and leapfrogged Phoenix and the 76ers. Lastly the 76ers lottery ball got drawn for the third pick. The Suns automatically get the fourth pick and it goes on from the.

Or the envelopes were predetermined months and months ago, screwing Phoenix.
Actually the Sixers kept their position and would have fallen back to 5 but they had the rights to swap with Sacramento if they ended up winning a Lottery top 3 spot and they did end up with #3,
Old 05-16-17, 09:37 PM   #115
DVD Talk Hero

Whoever they draft Ball or Fultz will be the new starting PG.

Russell is moving to the 2 regardless. Seems like he's better suited for that role. I just never saw him as a good playmaker.
Old 05-16-17, 09:40 PM   #116
DVD Talk Legend

I think there's zero chance this happens but imho the Celts would be doing the Lakers a huge favor if they took Ball first. It would actually probably benefit Ball in the long run too to go to a team that doesn't need to depend on him and thus put up with his dad's crap.

I can't imagine how badly he's going to call out Ingram, Clarkson, and Russell if they all stay on the same team.
Old 05-16-17, 09:42 PM   #117
DVD Talk Hero

Lavar Ball will be pissed if Lonzo gets picked up the Celtics.

He will have to ride the pine behind Isaiah Thomas.
Old 05-16-17, 09:45 PM   #118
DVD Talk Hero

I think Ball has the talent to be a transcendent player, but he could be a headache and a distraction. No way the Celtics want that. The Lakers on the other hand want a Superstar. This is the way it goes down, barring a trade or injury.
Old 05-16-17, 11:40 PM   #119
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I don't think it'll end well for Ball in LA, though obviously having the pick is better than not having it. He's from here, his dad's an egotistacal maniac who has put a gigantic target on his son's back if nothing else, and he'll be looked at as the savior of the franchise, which I'm sure will just make him more humble. Oh and Magic loves him and wants a star. The only hope is that he's secretly the opposite of his dad or is just that transcendent of a player to make it all worth it.

I just realized the 76ers will probably take Jackson or Tatum, another small forward. They miss out on the top two pg prospects, but unless they trade down probably can't justify the third pg in the draft at three. But they really really need a point guard. Oh well at least it's not another center.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-16-17 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-16-17, 11:40 PM   #120
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, just read that the third pick was actually the Kings, but the Sixers get it from pick swap rights. The Sixers pick was actually 5. Hinkie strikes again.

This draft will get interesting starting with pick 3, the top 2 are basically foregone conclusion.
Old 05-16-17, 11:41 PM   #121
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Source: Ball might work out only for the Lakers
Lonzo Ball's desire to play for the Los Angeles Lakers is so strong that he might not work out for teams other than the Lakers, a source tells ESPN's Ramona Shelburne.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...angeles-lakers

Do you feel that hope is fading? Do you comprehend?
Do you feel it terminating? In the end... Blame the world, and blame your maker.
Hello darkness, Say goodbye!
Old 05-16-17, 11:54 PM   #122
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how much the purple and gold color way for big baller shoes is going to be now. 800 bucks? An even grand? Man he's going to make the Lakers even more hated than they are now.

Also I felt bad for Phoenix a little until I remembered how they blatantly tanked to end the season, sitting out Bledsoe to the consternation of his coach and giving Booker plenty of rest days. They need a small forward more than another point guard anyway.

Sacramento still goes up from pick 8 to pick 5 and gets the Pelican's pick at 10. I'm sure Vlade will screw it up somehow but still not bad.

To bring it back to woah is me: I can't believe Doc Rivers left Boston to go be on a contender and now his old team is the number one seed in the East, in the conference finals, and has the number one pick the same offseason he could lose both Paul and Griffin.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-17-17 at 12:10 AM.
Old 05-17-17, 12:18 AM   #123
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Hopefully the Lakers get 4 or below and lose their pick!

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.

Last edited by Decker; 05-17-17 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-17-17, 12:21 AM   #124
DVD Talk Hero

I love this. The Spectrum SportsNet production office going crazy after the announcement that the Lakers were in the top 3

Old 05-17-17, 12:23 AM   #125
DVD Talk Hero

And just think how fortunate the Lakers had to be to not surrender a #1 pick to the Orlando Magic : The trade with the Suns was for their first round pick in 2013 and 2015, so the Magic had the first round pick in 2017. The trade protections were such that for the Magic to not get the pick, the Lakers had to have a Top 5 pick in 2015, a Top 3 pick in 2016 and a Top 3 pick again in 2017, at which time it converts to two Second Round picks. I don't know what the odds are for that - even with a bad team, but they had to be pretty damn tiny. So glad it worked out for them.

Fun fact -- Everyone remembers that the Lakers gave up two First Round picks for the rotting corpse of Steve Nash, but they also gave up two second round picks as well :
  • 2013 second-round pick (No. 57 overall) — Phoenix picked Alex Oriakhi who was later traded for Isaiah Thomas. The Suns then traded Thomas to the Celtics as part of a 3-team deal in which the Suns picked up a future first-round pick from the Cavaliers (2016 if not in the top 10).
  • 2014 second-round pick (No. 36 overall) — This pick was used in a complicated 3-team trade that landed the Suns a potential first-round pick from the Minnesota Timberwolves. That pick was later used by Phoenix to acquire Brandan Wright from the Celtics.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.

Last edited by Decker; 05-17-17 at 12:41 AM.