Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Old 08-22-17, 09:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: 2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Those, but mostly just not sold on Kyrie being as good as most people think. Don't see him winning without a teammate substantially better than him.
Old 08-22-17, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kyrie is the cover athlete for NBA 2K18. It's supposed to be released in about 4 weeks. I'm sure they are all packed and ready to ship. I'm curious at what they do.
Old 08-22-17, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Send them out. Can't change at this point.
Old 08-22-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Remember when Brett Favre got traded to the Jets and he was on the cover of Madden as a Packer and the stores offered to print a new cover in-store?
Old 08-22-17, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think this is good for BOTH teams honestly. Like, there really is no loser, but that could just be me because I was (and still will be) a HUGE IT fan. Celtics got a legit All-Star who wants to make a name for himself and be THE Man. Here is the chance as the keys are his in Boston and it's his team to take to the championship and also how much more motivation will he have to knock off the Cavs and prove he does not need Lebron. And he's locked in for at least two years, maybe he picks up his option for the 3rd year. It's not like he is a rental. You also did not lose Tatum, which is kind of important as he looked good in the summer league.

For Cleveland, you still get a really good point guard. People make fun of his size and what not, but the man has been improving each and every year and if you are Celtics fan and watched the games, you would know it was IT this year. He carried the team (look how bad they were when he was out or not in the game and I don't care if they won ONE game against the Cavs, overall stats, IT made the team better) and was the soul of that team. He was the leader. He's going to be determined to show the world he is better than Irving and he's playing for a max deal this year (how many players actually, at his age, have a horrible year playing on a contract year?). I'm not a huge fan of Crowder, but they do get the Nets pick which will help with any rebuild, if needed. And if Lebron walks, you lose that contract and you let IT go and still come out with a VERY high draft pick. If Lebron stays and you win it all or do well, you give IT what he wants to continue winning.

You now have two PG's looking to make huge statements and prove something. These battles are going to make the season and playoffs very exciting.
Old 08-23-17, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Cleveland should just bite the bullet and see if they can trade Love and LBJ too. If nothing else than for picks.
Old 08-23-17, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I think Cleveland should just bite the bullet and see if they can trade Love and LBJ too. If nothing else than for picks.
If they were going to do that then it would make no sense to get back Thomas and Crowder. They are not going to blow it up after getting "win now" players. They are going to make a run at this year since they will most likely still be 1 or 2 in the East and hope that some fresh players convinces LeBron to stay.
Old 08-23-17, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I'm the Cavs, I'm sitting down with Lebron and saying that they'll shop the Brooklyn pick hard but only if he signs an extension. I don't know who, specifically, they could get right now but that pick packaged with Thompson or Love could, hypothetically, get the player the Cavs need to really push the Warriors.
Old 08-23-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Pretty sure LBJ has a no trade clause.
Old 08-23-17, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
If I'm the Cavs, I'm sitting down with Lebron and saying that they'll shop the Brooklyn pick hard but only if he signs an extension. I don't know who, specifically, they could get right now but that pick packaged with Thompson or Love could, hypothetically, get the player the Cavs need to really push the Warriors.
I wouldn't do the trade unless there was ink on paper, no opt outs, etc. I wouldn't trust LBJ at all not to treat this as a year by year thing.
Old 08-23-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
If they were going to do that then it would make no sense to get back Thomas and Crowder. They are not going to blow it up after getting "win now" players. They are going to make a run at this year since they will most likely still be 1 or 2 in the East and hope that some fresh players convinces LeBron to stay.
You make an excellent point (as to Thomas, no so much Crowder). But still, the Cavs are fucked long term with their lack of picks and zero cap space situation. They need to figure out a way to refresh the team. As it stands, if LBJ leaves they are in dire straits and a blow up will be needed any way.
Old 08-23-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's a perfect trade for Cavs. Maybe Lebron likes playing with IT and Crowder and Love and a bought-out Wade and wants to stay. Maybe at the deadline they could get an All-Star for the Nets pick if Lebron is willing sign an extension.

If Lebron leaves, they could build around IT, Love and Nets pick. Or they could blow it all up and trade Love, let IT walk. Have money, Nets pick and build from there.

All of these scenarios are better than they had a week ago.
Old 08-23-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Agreed, this move helps the Cavs prep if Lebron leaves while still keeping them just as competitive as they were last year, if not slightly improving them depending on how you rate Thomas (and Crowder) vs Kyrie.

And on the Celtics side, they have point guard for an extra year and don't have to wonder about whether Thomas is worth paying a really big max contract.
Old 08-23-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
And on the Celtics side, they have point guard for an extra year and don't have to wonder about whether Thomas is worth paying a really big max contract.
I think that was a big part of it. All IT's talk about needing a Brinks truck to afford him next year probably didn't do him any favors. Only a handful of players can talk like that and he's not one of them (as much as I'm a fan of his). Combine that and his hip issues.

Kyrie, Heyward, Hortford. Bring on the season!
Old 08-23-17, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You got one of the three names right!
Old 08-23-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spelling has never been my strong suit...
Old 08-23-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see IT and Crowder coming over as a win-now mentality, it's hedging their bets. Those players alone (unless they move the pick) aren't bringing them any closer to GS (though IT will be extra motivated this year). Even if they move the pick I'm not sure there's anyone available that can really bring them closer to GS (otherwise Boston would have moved the pick long ago). Melo's not worth the pick IMHO. Neither is Drummond. If they can move the pick and, say, Love for like a top 10 guy, that's great, but I can't see that happening (though this is the summer of anything is possible).

As pjflyer said, if they want to go full rebuild, they can let IT walk next year and build around their pick and whatever number ones the league will gift them again in the ensuing years. If they somehow convince Lebron to mentor a rookie, then that's good for them too. The best thing for them (ownership) is that they shed salary, at least for now.

People say the Celtics lost, but were they really going to max out Isaiah? If not, and they can re-sign Kyrie, that was a good gamble, regardless of how the Brooklyn pick turns out. Crowder was on a great contract but he's got two young guys behind him that need playing time, and nobody was giving up anything for him by himself.

Last edited by fujishig; 08-23-17 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-23-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I don't see it nearly as bad for the Celtics as others do too. I guess giving up the pick is the biggest thing, but Thomas with his age and his hip seemed like such a question mark to me that Kyrie as a longer term solution is a win for them for the near future.
Old 08-23-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Now move Lebron to LA and see the rivalry reignite. I mean sure GS will still win all the titles but at least there will be a side story to entertain the rest of us.
Old 08-23-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

As much as I dislike Lebron (and ESPN putting up in article about him taking the "high road" with Kyrie after passive agressive shots at him the last month), I'd love to see that.

For the good of the league, of course
Old 08-23-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm fine if LBJ moves to LA. It is a lot easier to win a title when you have almost guaranteed entry to the Finals.

I never really liked Irving that much as a player, so this trade doesn't thrill me. That said, the way he took over the 3rd quarter of game 4 against the Cs this past year was all I needed to know. I have watched a lot of basketball in my life, and that was at the top of "Imma take over this game" events I have ever seen. Just insane. I love IT, he may have more heart than Kyrie and I will miss him, but he couldn't have done what Kyrie did in that quarter.
Old 08-23-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure you watched his games more closely than I did, but I thought IT regularly took over games in the 4th. I'm curious what you saw in Irving that you don't see in Thomas.

Btw, is there anyone on the Cavs from before Lebron came back?
Old 08-23-17, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The trade feels like selling high on IT (other than the injury) and upgrading to Kyrie, though at a heavy price. A lot depends on that pick, and I can't help wondering if they would've taken a harder look at Josh Jackson if they knew they were going to deal Crowder. Also, I thought not drafting Fultz meant they felt good about offering IT a max contract, but maybe they really did prefer Tatum regardless of positional need.

It's debatable how much of an upgrade Kyrie is, of course. I love IT but Kyrie feels like more of a sure thing.

I feel I can't evaluate the trade now, but give credit to Ainge for not taking the easy way out and letting the current team stand and waiting for the Nets pick.
Old 08-23-17, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Those, but mostly just not sold on Kyrie being as good as most people think. Don't see him winning without a teammate substantially better than him.

I am on the same boat, Kyrie is a great Robin, but I don't think he will succeed if he's the main guy on a team. If you replaced Harden or Westbrook with Kyrie on their respective teams, they would be lottery teams. Kyrie is in a great situation in Boston with a solid team and great coach, so he may prove me wrong next season. IT went to an incredible level last year and didn't think he could keep it up, but now I think he could reach another level with Lebron.
Old 08-23-17, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I'm sure you watched his games more closely than I did, but I thought IT regularly took over games in the 4th. I'm curious what you saw in Irving that you don't see in Thomas.
Thomas was clutch, no doubt, it's not a knock on IT. But did you see the game I am talking about? It wasn't just "taking over", it was at a level of the all time greats, on a very big stage (conference finals). Nobody could stop him, good defense didn't matter. So again, not a knock on IT, just recognition that Kyrie at his best is the better player.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.