Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Old 08-17-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
The answer is simple. Trade Lebron.
That's what I initially thought when the Kyrie News first came out since I didn't think their chances of keeping him were high. But Lebron has a no trade clause and says he won't waive it.

From his perspective, even if they send him to a team he wants to go to, why would he want to take assets away from that team? The only way I can see it happening is if he goes to a team with no cap space, like say he joined Golden State or something (which would end the NBA).

The team themselves will want reassurances that he'll stay, especially because Cleveland will be looking for the same thing they want (and have failed to get) for Kyrie: young talent with lots of time on their contract with the potential to be a star.

From Cleveland's perspective, if they can keep the ship running this year they have a shot at a title. It may be a slim shot because of GS but it's closer than they'll get for decades after Lebron leaves.
Old 08-17-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Lebron basically gets to break the hearts of Cleveland fans a second time (and essentially hold the team hostage for the year), but because he won 1 title I assume everything will/would be forgiven? I wonder if fans will hold ownership more responsible then Lebron.
Old 08-17-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So he owes Cleveland not only a title, but his entire career moving forward? I don't buy that. He gave them a Championship and their only three other Finals appearances. He owes that team and that city NOTHING.
Old 08-17-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
So he owes Cleveland not only a title, but his entire career moving forward? I don't buy that. He gave them a Championship and their only three other Finals appearances. He owes that team and that city NOTHING.
I'm not sure if that's in direct response to me, but I certainly didn't say or imply he owes the city anything. He'll be a free agent, and like with Durant he can choose where he wants to play and is entitled to do so.

My post is more curious about the fan reaction. Lebron knew what he was doing with those 1+1 contracts since coming back to Cleveland, but coupled with persuading management to re-sign "his" guys like Tristan Thompson or JR Smith to big contracts, Cleveland is basically screwed next year if/when he leaves.
Old 08-17-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh, also a few reporters refuted Sheridan's report.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-beyond-repair

However, Sam Amico of FOX Sports Ohio later reported there is "no truth" to the report and Sheridan's source “swung, and missed by a mile."

Chris Broussard of Fox Sports 1 confirmed Amico's sentiment, saying James doesn't plan to decide on his future until after this coming season.
Old 08-17-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'm not sure if that's in direct response to me, but I certainly didn't say or imply he owes the city anything. He'll be a free agent, and like with Durant he can choose where he wants to play and is entitled to do so.

My post is more curious about the fan reaction. Lebron knew what he was doing with those 1+1 contracts since coming back to Cleveland, but coupled with persuading management to re-sign "his" guys like Tristan Thompson or JR Smith to big contracts, Cleveland is basically screwed next year if/when he leaves.
Oh I know that you, like me, would like to see LeBron in Purple & Gold in 2018. I am already anticipating the stories about poor Cavs fans. I just don't think that NOW the Cleveland fans have anything to complain about regarding LeBron (they have plenty to complain about with ownership). I anticipate there will be jersey burning and hand-wringing. I just think that after the PR disaster that was The Decision, LeBron has totally balanced the ledgers.
Old 08-19-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-r...ge/2017/08/19/

Whoah! Pacers owner Herb Simon has filed charges against the Lakers for tampering with Paul George.

Law firm hired by NBA will interview Jeanie Buss, Magic and Pelinka.

I don't know if there is any proof other than a few wink wink comments from Magic. Even Magic isn't that dumb. I think Simon is bitter because he was essentially forced to dump him because of those reports that PG was all set to leave for LA next summer rather than Getting zilch.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-19-17 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If anything comes of it, hopefully it's just a fine.
Old 08-22-17, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So if DWade actually does go to Cleveland for peanuts, that something, right?

We already have every single playing regular season MVP except Dirk and Westbrook on Cleveland and GS. Then we'd have every single Finals MVP except Dirk on Cleveland, GS, or San Antonio. Which is just my way of saying, Dirk go join a superteam already.
Old 08-22-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Woj is reporting Celtics are close to getting Kyrie Irving for Thomas, Crowder and picks. Not done deal yet but close.
Old 08-22-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Reports are it's done. Thomas, Crowder, Zizic and the Brooklyn pick. Wow. That pick ain't gonna help Lebron win now (unless they package it, which seems unlikely), I wonder how he's feeling.

Have we ever had a trade between the number one and number two seeds in a conference in the following offseason?

They get a relative bargain in Crowder and a high pick next year to rebuild, and they can let Isaiah walk if they want, or just pay him because when Lebron leaves, nobody else is coming anyway. Celtics moving down for Tatum looks even better now.

Last edited by fujishig; 08-22-17 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's the Brooklyn one that could be #1 again next year.
Old 08-22-17, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By the way this is officially the greatest offseason we've ever had (if it wasn't already). Insane. I thought the CBA was supposed to limit people changing teams like crazy. Back to the drawing board I guess.
Old 08-22-17, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As a Suns fan, this is a great trade because the Suns are committed to the team they have right now for this season. I'm really excited about the young guys + Bledsoe.
Old 08-22-17, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kyrie plus Booker could've been the worst defensive backcourt in the NBA (competing with Portland) but it would have been fun to watch. I love Bledsoe but he seems like the odd man out there even without a trade.
Old 08-22-17, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Interesting trade, I can see how it works for both teams which is pretty remarkable given the #1 and #2 seeds as mentioned before.

Celtics seem like they give up a lot, but i've also never been sold that Thomas comes anywhere close to repeating the year he just had.
Old 08-22-17, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk God

#60 player in draft was traded for #1. That is crazy
Old 08-22-17, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's crazy is that the number one team in the East last year lost four of their five starters in the offseason but are almost inarguably better. And they still have the Lakers pick next year, or the better of the Kings/76ers pick the following year, plus a Memphis pick and Clippers pic the year after that.
Old 08-22-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had just listened to the Bill Simmons podcast the other day about where Kyrie will land. The first trade he mentioned was to Celtics for Isaiah but then said pretty much zero chance because no way would the 1 & 2 teams in the same conference trade superstars. Crazy trade.
Old 08-22-17, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if the Cavs will go all in and trade the pick for Melo in hopes of keeping Lebron or just keep it cause they think he's leaving.
Old 08-22-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Kyrie plus Booker could've been the worst defensive backcourt in the NBA (competing with Portland) but it would have been fun to watch. I love Bledsoe but he seems like the odd man out there even without a trade.
I agree with your assessment of Kyrie/Booker.

I don't understand why everyone is trying to push Bledsoe out of town. He's still only 27, in his prime, just had his best year statistically, a passable defender at worst...I guess I understand to a point. I just didn't think that Kyrie was worth the ask. He's not significantly younger or better than Bledsoe. Bledsoe has this injury prone label that's a little worse than it looks. The FO tends to to shut him down for their tanking purposes (last year, for example) and that gets laid at Bled's feet because....reasons.
Old 08-22-17, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's partially Bledsoe's playing style that leads to injuries, but it's not like Kyrie is the beacon of staying healthy either. I certainly wouldn't have given up both Bledsoe and Josh Jackson for him. I think Bledsoe's the odd man out mainly because while he's not exactly old, he's near his prime now and the rest of the team isn't, plus he's probably one of their bigger trade assets. It killed me that the coach (and Bledsoe) was basically surprised by ownership when they told him Bledsoe was shut down for the season.

Originally Posted by outcastja View Post
I wonder if the Cavs will go all in and trade the pick for Melo in hopes of keeping Lebron or just keep it cause they think he's leaving.
That would be such a mess of a team: Thomas, DRose, Melo, Lebron, Love, Tristan Thompson with some Shumpert/JR sprinkled in, heck let's add in DWade for the giggles. I don't think they do it. It seems like they were adamant about getting a young player or asset back for Kyrie in order to plan for the future.

Plus, I'd think if you ever want to see Brooklyn actually motivated to win, give the pick to the Knicks.
Old 08-22-17, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wow.

they gave up too much, but this is Danny going all-in. and betting on a leap from Brown and on Tatum.

wow.
Old 08-22-17, 09:08 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I think it's going to end up a horrible trade for the Celtics.
Old 08-22-17, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I think it's going to end up a horrible trade for the Celtics.
I'm curious, why?

The only way I see this as terrible is if:
a) Kyrie doesn't re-sign. They should have had that locked down before trading all these pieces for him
b) The Brooklyn pick is like 1/2. That's certainly possible but no lock.
c) This somehow convinces Lebron to stay. I think the opposite actually. And if he leaves the East, they should be able to dominate it.

I realize this summer has been all about crazy lopsided deals for superstars (PG, Butler) but on the surface I feel like the Celts got the better player without sacrificing too much depth. Future assets like the Brooklyn pick are tantalizing but anything can happen with that. They already have two lottery picks they need to develop.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.