Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-18-17, 04:50 PM   #376
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 NBA Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post

Wonder if the Lakers can just throw a couple second rounders and a nobody the Pacers way and get him now That way the Lakers don't have to wait a year, and they get a potential player for the all-star game they're hosting next year.
They don't even have a Second Round pick until 2019 thanks to the Dwight Howard rental. The 2019 First Round pick converted to two second round picks when the Lakers ended up in the top 3 this year and kept their pick.

They could totally trade away their #28 pick from Houston though.
Old 06-18-17, 05:02 PM   #377
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
They don't even have a Second Round pick until 2019 thanks to the Dwight Howard rental. The 2019 First Round pick converted to two second round picks when the Lakers ended up in the top 3 this year and kept their pick.

They could totally trade away their #28 pick from Houston though.
Looks like they should have a 2018 second round draft pick, via Denver.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed

Quote:
2017 first round draft pick from Houston
Houston's 2017 1st round pick to L.A. Lakers [Houston-L.A. Lakers, 2/23/2017]

2018 second round draft pick from Denver
Denver's 2018 2nd round pick to L.A. Lakers (via Utah to Chicago) [Denver-Golden State-Utah, 7/10/2013; Atlanta-Chicago-Utah, 2/18/2016; Chicago-L.A. Lakers, 7/7/2016]

2019 second round draft pick from Chicago
Chicago's 2019 2nd round pick to L.A. Lakers [Chicago-L.A. Lakers, 7/7/2016]

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 06-18-17, 06:24 PM   #378
DVD Talk Hero

Woj just reported that Paul George will not re-sign with the Pacers. He will leave as a free agent next summer and prefers the Lakers.

Pacers won't be dumb enough to lose him next summer for nothing. If they try to offer him to the Lakers now, who do you give up? No other team would probably want to take on his expiring contract with zero chance to re-sign him.
Old 06-18-17, 06:53 PM   #379
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Woj just reported that Paul George will not re-sign with the Pacers. He will leave as a free agent next summer and prefers the Lakers.

Pacers won't be dumb enough to lose him next summer for nothing. If they try to offer him to the Lakers now, who do you give up? No other team would probably want to take on his expiring contract with zero chance to re-sign him.
Woj just reported Cavs are talking to Pacers as they would trade for Paul George as a 1 year rental. He and Lebron are both FA's in 2018 so Cavs would take 1 more shot at Golden St.
Old 06-18-17, 08:12 PM   #380
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Woj just reported Cavs are talking to Pacers as they would trade for Paul George as a 1 year rental. He and Lebron are both FA's in 2018 so Cavs would take 1 more shot at Golden St.
If they do that it's only to appease GM Lebron. They'd have to trade Love, I'd think, and then in two years would be left with just Kyrie and Tristan Thompson. Unless they hope they can convince him to stay, but if he wins a ring, why not go to LA, and if he doesn't, why stay?
Old 06-18-17, 08:45 PM   #381
DVD Talk Legend

The Cavs either win now with Lebron or ride off into the sunset when he is gone. I can see them going full mediocre for several years and being ok with it and not having to pay the top luxury tax after Lebron decides to leave. They did deliver a title to the city.
Old 06-18-17, 09:14 PM   #382
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:

Welcome to a few hours ago That's what the last few posts above you have already been talking about.

Old 06-19-17, 12:04 AM   #383
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Welcome to a few hours ago That's what the last few posts above you have already been talking about.
Oy Vey, that's what I get for looking at a retweet and not the original time stamp of when the original story was posted.

Trade-wise, I think the price might be too high. The Pacers would probably expect at least one maybe two of the current young core. D-Load could be expendable unless they want to switch him to the 2.

It's a gamble, but maybe they should ride out the potential 1 year rental for another team.
Old 06-19-17, 12:33 AM   #384
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Oy Vey, that's what I get for looking at a retweet and not the original time stamp of when the original story was posted.

Trade-wise, I think the price might be too high. The Pacers would probably expect at least one maybe two of the current young core. D-Load could be expendable unless they want to switch him to the 2.

It's a gamble, but maybe they should ride out the potential 1 year rental for another team.
I really like the idea of trying to get George now since I feel like his presence would make the Lakers appealing for any other free agent. I agree with what Decker mentioned though, that part of that involves finding a way for someone to take Mozgov or Deng even if it means sending a draft pick out.

If the Lakers really aren't that enamored with Ball, fuck it send out the #2 and Deng like Chad Ford mentions on ESPN

Quote:
PG goes Hollywood

Lakers get: Paul George

Pacers get: Luol Deng and the No. 2 pick

View trade in ESPN's trade machine

Why the Lakers do it: George reportedly wants to play for the Lakers, and he would immediately improve the team. With their first-round pick going to the 76ers next year, the Lakers do not need to tank anymore. Winning is now a priority in L.A.

While the Lakers could be patient and wait a year for George, getting him now with the opportunity to re-sign him in 2018 (when he can become a free agent) might be worth swapping a player such as Lonzo Ball, who has star appeal but is not seen by the Lakers as a sure thing.
And hope for another free agent...

I can see it the other way too, wait another year and hope the #2 pick + Russell, Ingram, and Randle develop with another year and/or make them trade bait, and sign George outright.

Either way, nice to feel some positive options and hope in Laker land

Old 06-19-17, 12:39 AM   #385
DVD Talk Legend

Personally I think it would be beyond dumb to trade your number two pick and a contract you want off the books for a guy who is doing his best to make sure Indiana gets little back for him. I mean if you want to pay big bucks to veterans you're going to need that rookie scale contract, or you're going to be in for a world of hurt when Westbrook and Lebron pass on you yet again. Paul George and DeAndre Jordan sounds like it's just good enough to sneak into the playoffs in the West and get destroyed.
Old 06-19-17, 01:15 AM   #386
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Personally I think it would be beyond dumb to trade your number two pick and a contract you want off the books for a guy who is doing his best to make sure Indiana gets little back for him. I mean if you want to pay big bucks to veterans you're going to need that rookie scale contract, or you're going to be in for a world of hurt when Westbrook and Lebron pass on you yet again. Paul George and DeAndre Jordan sounds like it's just good enough to sneak into the playoffs in the West and get destroyed.
If you believe 100% that George is going to sign with the Lakers no matter what, I'd agree with you that it's dumb. I'm not that sold, especially if a team like the Cavs is willing to try and rent George for a year since I think they would actually have a shot at convincing him to stay.

Don't get me wrong, I'd obviously hope that the Pacers get trash offers and Lakers could do it now with far less like I suggested in a previous post. But it's not like the Melo/Knicks situation where the Lakers would be gutted if the manage to keep Russell/Ingram/Randle and whomever else like Nance or Zubac.

I think the Lakers cap situation also means they really have to dump one of Mozgov or Deng's contracts by 2018 too in order to sign more then 1 big name, plus decide what to do with Randle who would be up for an extension, and really believe that someone from this draft like Ball would be better then Russell or Ingram and are sitting in redundant positions on the court.

Old 06-19-17, 01:48 AM   #387
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think George to LA is a done deal either, I just think their number 2 pick is more valuable than trading for George especially after this announcement. Offer Clarkson, Deangelo or Randle and one of Mozgov/Deng, that'd be fine, but I'm not exactly sure what kind of offer the Pacers are going to be getting from others and you don't want to outbid yourself.

Didn't George just say on Thursday that his Pacers could be the best in the East? I'm not exactly sold on his leadership or his character at this point, either. The talent is undeniable.
Old 06-19-17, 09:48 AM   #388
DVD Talk Legend

#ByePG13 wow
Old 06-19-17, 10:10 AM   #389
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Lakers definitely need to move now. They don't want him going to the Cavs, Celtics or Heat and falling in love with the organization and resigning there. This is a superstar driven league and if you have a chance to get a top ten player in his prime you take it. Not to mention the Lakers don't have stars knocking down their door to play for them right now so when one does you have to strike.
Old 06-19-17, 10:27 AM   #390
DVD Talk Legend

Top 10? I dunno about that. Certainly a guy they need to have, though. The franchise doesn't turn around with just him, they need Ball/Ingram/Deangelo to break out and even then you'll still need a top flight guy like Westbrook to join.

I'm not exactly sure what the Heat would give up or how tempting that team would be for him unless he wants to be closer to the kids (which doesn't seem to be the case at all). Cavs, Celtics, even Raptors I can see though.
Old 06-19-17, 11:09 AM   #391
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course just getting George doesn't make them title contenders but getting a superstar and being competitive is the start to them having others want to play there.
Old 06-19-17, 02:19 PM   #392
DVD Talk Godfather

So here's the full Celtics/Sixers deal.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...ound-selection

Quote:
The Sixers, who are expected to select Washington guard Markelle Fultz first overall, traded the No. 3 overall pick and a future first-round pick to the Celtics.

The future first-rounder sent to Boston will either be the Los Angeles Lakers' selection next year -- if it falls between Nos. 2 and 5 -- or a first-rounder in 2019, belonging either to Sacramento or Philadelphia. The teams announced the deal on Monday.

Old 06-19-17, 02:27 PM   #393
DVD Talk Hero

Nice to talk about the Celtics again.

Chris Forsberg says that it will be the higher of the Sacramento or Philly picks, unless one is the first overall, in which case it'll be the other one. Hard to imagine Philly will be worse than Sacramento, but it's nice to have a little bit more reassurance.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-19-17, 02:47 PM   #394
DVD Talk Legend

That's some weird pick protection, though it's unlikely the Lakers pick is 2 to 5 because
a) There will (unfortunately) be at least 5 teams willing to tank the season, and the Lakers have no reason to (I realize neither did the Nets this year).
b) There's no reason for the league to fix the lottery for the Lakers pick for a third year in a row.
But a Kings pick in any year will be a decent haul.
Old 06-19-17, 02:49 PM   #395
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Nice to talk about the Celtics again.

Chris Forsberg says that it will be the higher of the Sacramento or Philly picks, unless one is the first overall, in which case it'll be the other one. Hard to imagine Philly will be worse than Sacramento, but it's nice to have a little bit more reassurance.
Actually, I'd prefer the lack of reassurance, if the pick was completely unprotected.

I mean, worst case scenario here: Fultz is a total stud and the Sixers start to win a lot. The Lakers pick doesn't convey, and then in 2019 the Kings manage to land the #1 pick, the Sixers are in the teens or worse, and they get to keep the #1 and give the Cs the shitty pick? I'd rather have the Kings pick unprotected.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 06-19-17, 03:00 PM   #396
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Actually, I'd prefer the lack of reassurance, if the pick was completely unprotected.

I mean, worst case scenario here: Fultz is a total stud and the Sixers start to win a lot. The Lakers pick doesn't convey, and then in 2019 the Kings manage to land the #1 pick, the Sixers are in the teens or worse, and they get to keep the #1 and give the Cs the shitty pick? I'd rather have the Kings pick unprotected.
Oh sure, that'd be better. But the first I heard was that it was just the Kings' pick with the Philly pick not in play at all. So that was the reassurance, which was then lessened by the #1 protection.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-19-17, 03:09 PM   #397
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Oh sure, that'd be better. But the first I heard was that it was just the Kings' pick with the Philly pick not in play at all. So that was the reassurance, which was then lessened by the #1 protection.
but that's what I am saying, I would rather have the Philly pick not in play. It seems that was a move that got too cute, but could bite them in the ass. Just take the Kings pick outright, unprotected, if the Lakers 2018 pick doesn't convey.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 06-19-17, 03:16 PM   #398
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Smart move by Phily to protect the pick(s) in case they end up winning the lottery.
Old 06-19-17, 03:25 PM   #399
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
but that's what I am saying, I would rather have the Philly pick not in play. It seems that was a move that got too cute, but could bite them in the ass. Just take the Kings pick outright, unprotected, if the Lakers 2018 pick doesn't convey.
Yeah, I agree. Even Fultz by himself could probably produce a better record than the Kings.
Old 06-19-17, 03:33 PM   #400
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. Even Fultz by himself could probably produce a better record than the Kings.
Sorry, this past year doesn't seem to support that claim. Fultz at UW (i.e By Himself) record 9-22; Sacramento Kings 32-50