Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Who will win the NBA Finals?
Celtics 3 10.00%
Cavaliers 4 13.33%
Raptors 1 3.33%
Wizards 0 0%
Hawks 0 0%
Bucks 0 0%
Pacers 0 0%
Bulls 0 0%
Warriors 20 66.67%
Spurs 1 3.33%
Rockets 0 0%
Clippers 0 0%
Jazz 0 0%
Thunder 0 0%
Grizzlies 0 0%
Blazers 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-17, 11:56 AM   #126
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 NBA Playoffs

Maybe we're just arguing semantics here.

In my book, if you win $7M in Powerball and then are broke a year later because you lost it all in the Stock Market, you're not unlucky or cursed -- you just can't manage your unbelievable good fortune. Basically, at that point you just suck at life. Luck can only take you so far.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 05-02-17, 12:13 PM   #127
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Maybe we're just arguing semantics here.

In my book, if you win $7M in Powerball and then are broke a year later because you lost it all in the Stock Market, you're not unlucky or cursed -- you just can't manage your unbelievable good fortune. Basically, at that point you just suck at life. Luck can only take you so far.
I think injuries derailing the last two seasons (and shit like Blake breaking his hand fucking punching a team employee) are outside the realm of the team just sucking at functioning.

Not to say Doc and Company haven't made their own poor decisions in surrounding Paul/Griffin/DeAndre with the right folks, and I guess you can argue that the Clippers wouldn't have been able to beat the Warriors or Cavs regardless the last 2 years, but there's just been more there then poor management.

Although googling for Clippers Curse makes me want to buy this book for fujishig.

https://www.amazon.com/Curse-Colorfu...clippers+curse

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 05-02-17, 12:59 PM   #128
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm, it's eligible for Kindle Unlimited, maybe I'll rent it this month. Or maybe I'll just hit my head with a hammer repeatedly. But now I'm curious.

For the record, like I said earlier the pieces were in place during the Sterling era, and I think he would have spent the money to keep the team going if it meant money was going to be coming in. I mean, he's a scumbag and I'm glad he's no longer the owner but his biggest impact on court was emotionally devastating the team in the middle of a playoff run. The Paul trade I won't even try to defend. If you look at the various pieces, that turned out worse for the Pelicans than the Lakers trade would have probably netted them (though it also happened to land them the number 1 pick and Davis). It also seemed to just emotionally devastate Lamar Odom.

Anyway, sorry to veer so far off topic, especially since they are out of the playoffs.

I'm sure Pop is whipping the guys into shape as I type, but what the heck happened? I know in the last series he basically sat his starters and lost a game to teach them a lesson, but it seemed like they were beaten from the opening tip. I guess you can't expect Parker to play consistently like he did last series, but at some point Aldridge has to show up, doesn't he, especially against the likes of Nene, Capella and Anderson.
Old 05-02-17, 11:06 PM   #129
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the Celtics don't max out Thomas there will be riots in the streets. He's a bad man.
Old 05-02-17, 11:14 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
If the Celtics don't max out Thomas there will be riots in the streets. He's a bad man.
Fun game for a a Celtics fan. He can perform under pressure, that's for sure.
Old 05-02-17, 11:21 PM   #131
DVD Talk Hero

Insane game. Nice to be up 2-0.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-03-17, 12:45 AM   #132
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I think injuries derailing the last two seasons (and shit like Blake breaking his hand fucking punching a team employee) are outside the realm of the team just sucking at functioning.

Not to say Doc and Company haven't made their own poor decisions in surrounding Paul/Griffin/DeAndre with the right folks, and I guess you can argue that the Clippers wouldn't have been able to beat the Warriors or Cavs regardless the last 2 years, but there's just been more there then poor management.

Although googling for Clippers Curse makes me want to buy this book for fujishig.

https://www.amazon.com/Curse-Colorfu...clippers+curse
Injuries happen. Jazz had some (and sickness). Guys need to step up and show up. Clippers don't do that.
Old 05-03-17, 09:53 AM   #133
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Injuries happen. Jazz had some (and sickness). Guys need to step up and show up. Clippers don't do that.
I'm not even a Clippers fan and hate defending them, but losing someone the caliber Chris Paul or Blake Griffin during the playoffs isn't a matter of just sucking up and playing through adversity, or the same as losing Gobert for just a few games.

Old 05-03-17, 10:06 AM   #134
DVD Talk Godfather

Also, watched the end of the 4th and most of OT of that Boston/Washington game. Was obviously rooting against Boston, but Thomas was pretty damn amazing and Washington could never figure out how to avoid switching a big man on to him.

Old 05-03-17, 10:31 AM   #135
DVD Talk Legend

Wish I could have watched it. Instead, I was just refreshing the box score every minute.

29 points in the 4th and OT, damn.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 05-03-17, 10:59 AM   #136
DVD Talk Special Edition

His stare down of Morris the whole time they were going back down the court after faking him out and draining a shot in his face was incredible.
Old 05-03-17, 11:47 AM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

Those teams really don't like each other. Which makes me want to watch it even more (especially since it's 2-0 Celtics).

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 05-03-17, 09:02 PM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

Shit the Cavs look good tonight. Making Toronto just look silly out there.

Can we just skip playing ahead to Cavs-Warriors III? We can make it a 17 game series instead.
Old 05-03-17, 11:43 PM   #139
DVD Talk Legend

Lowry actually looked decent for two games in a row before he got injured. Without him I think this is a sweep.
Old 05-03-17, 11:47 PM   #140
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
I'm not even a Clippers fan and hate defending them, but losing someone the caliber Chris Paul or Blake Griffin during the playoffs isn't a matter of just sucking up and playing through adversity, or the same as losing Gobert for just a few games.
Paul wasn't gone this year. Blake also didn't miss the whole series. Hayward missed a game. I don't care if Gobert is not the same caliber of player as Griffin. When your 2nd best player (and yes, during the season, Rudy was) goes down and the guy replacing him is Boris f'n Diaw, give me a break! How the hell do you lose Game 4 when Hayward basically didn't play because he was sick. Gobert was gone 3 games. Hayward was gone Game 4. This should have been a sweep. Yup not buying the injury excuse this year.
Old 05-03-17, 11:51 PM   #141
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Shit the Cavs look good tonight. Making Toronto just look silly out there.

Can we just skip playing ahead to Cavs-Warriors III? We can make it a 17 game series instead.
Maybe just skip to the Conference Finals. I know there is no one on the Celtics team to stop James, but I am damn curious how Kyrie is going to defend IT as that man is on a whole different level right now. And it looks like the Spurs pulled their heads out of their asses tonight, so we can get an interesting conference finals matchup maybe in the West.
Old 05-03-17, 11:54 PM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Paul wasn't gone this year. Blake also didn't miss the whole series. Hayward missed a game. I don't care if Gobert is not the same caliber of player as Griffin. When your 2nd best player (and yes, during the season, Rudy was) goes down and the guy replacing him is Boris f'n Diaw, give me a break! How the hell do you lose Game 4 when Hayward basically didn't play because he was sick. Gobert was gone 3 games. Hayward was gone Game 4. This should have been a sweep. Yup not buying the injury excuse this year.
Who knew Joe Johnson would win them two games, one when Gobert was out and one when Hayward was out? I agree, though, Jordan should have dominated while Gobert was out, and the refs took Gobert out of game 7 as well.

Paul was hurt for like 20 games during the season, as was Griffin, which is why their regular season record was lower than expected. Also Blake's replacement was Mareese Speights, who did absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Maybe just skip to the Conference Finals. I know there is no one on the Celtics team to stop James, but I am damn curious how Kyrie is going to defend IT as that man is on a whole different level right now. And it looks like the Spurs pulled their heads out of their asses tonight, so we can get an interesting conference finals matchup maybe in the West.
Kyrie's going to defend him like he does every guard, watching as IT whizzes past him.
Old 05-04-17, 12:06 AM   #143
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bad knee injury for Tony Parker tonight. Almost certainly season ending if not worse, considering how late it is into his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxbomber View Post
Answered definitively tonight -- Lee had some key rebounds and put backs, Pau was... well, he was out there I guess.
Ok, not as definitive as I thought, Pau was fantastic tonight and making plays all over the floor.
Old 05-04-17, 10:38 AM   #144
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
I referenced both Paul and Blake because they were injured last year in the same game of the playoffs that led to another early exit. This should have been a sweep for who? The Clippers? Everything you listed for the Jazz still isn't as bad as losing Griffin for the last 4 1/2 games on a Clippers team that has always been top heavy with a weak bench and I don't think it's a coincidence that they were up 2-1 and lost the rest of the series after Blake got hurt and Gobert came back for Utah.

I don't think we're going to agree on this, but whether you think they should have still beat Utah or not Blake was gone for the rest of the playoffs and would have even less of a chance against the Warriors, and doesn't change my belief of bad luck injuries derailing the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxbomber View Post
Bad knee injury for Tony Parker tonight. Almost certainly season ending if not worse, considering how late it is into his career.
Yeah, just based on how it looks and Parker's reaction on the floor it does not look good

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-04-17 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-04-17, 12:30 PM   #145
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I referenced both Paul and Blake because they were injured last year in the same game of the playoffs that led to another early exit. This should have been a sweep for who? The Clippers? Everything you listed for the Jazz still isn't as bad as losing Griffin for the last 4 1/2 games on a Clippers team that has always been top heavy with a weak bench and I don't think it's a coincidence that they were up 2-1 and lost the rest of the series after Blake got hurt and Gobert came back for Utah.

I don't think we're going to agree on this, but whether you think they should have still beat Utah or not Blake was gone for the rest of the playoffs and would have even less of a chance against the Warriors, and doesn't change my belief of bad luck injuries derailing the team.
I don't see how it's fair to say they have had bad luck when you admit that they're a top heavy team with a bad bench. There's a reason teams try to have a strong bench: because injuries happen (for a half, for a game, for multiple games) and it's a very long season and a long playoffs. It's a calculated risk for a team to rely on so few players and have such a crappy bench. And that risk is especially risky when your best player has played close to a full season in only half of his years in the league, and your second best player has missed significant time in more than half of his years in the league.

When that calculated risk backfires, it seems strange to then cry "bad luck!" It's more like "what did they think would happen?"

Old 05-04-17, 12:33 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Supposedly Kobe Bryant has been helping Thomas this playoff, with pep talks, watching game film, etc. Couldn't it have been any other player???

Old 05-04-17, 12:38 PM   #147
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I don't see how it's fair to say they have had bad luck when you admit that they're a top heavy team with a bad bench. There's a reason teams try to have a strong bench: because injuries happen (for a half, for a game, for multiple games) and it's a very long season and a long playoffs. It's a calculated risk for a team to rely on so few players and have such a crappy bench. And that risk is especially risky when your best player has played close to a full season in only half of his years in the league, and your second best player has missed significant time in more than half of his years in the league.

When that calculated risk backfires, it seems strange to then cry "bad luck!" It's more like "what did they think would happen?"
I admitted as much in one of my previous posts:

Quote:
I don't think that excludes the idea of bad luck and unfortunate injuries though, especially when the injuries aren't the same as the chronic ones that have plagued the individuals during other parts of their careers. Hamstrings and broken toes are a little different then say constant knee problems keeping out Paul or Blake.

Old 05-04-17, 12:38 PM   #148
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Supposedly Kobe Bryant has been helping Thomas this playoff, with pep talks, watching game film, etc. Couldn't it have been any other player???
I don't want to like Kobe.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 05-04-17, 12:39 PM   #149
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I don't want to like Kobe.
Kobe helping a Celtic

Old 05-04-17, 12:43 PM   #150
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Kobe helping a Celtic
that's the only part of it that makes it ok, that it probably pisses off Laker fans as much as it pisses me off.