DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 06-16-17, 06:46 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

I like the Drouin trade. He's only 22, and Habs need scoring. The fact that he's a hometown French Canadian will probably help calm down the fans. Probably the most talented since Stephane Richer.
Old 06-17-17, 10:08 AM   #52
DVD Talk Hero

Columbus has traded the 24th pick in the draft and a prospect to the Golden Knights to keep them from selecting four exposed players (Anderson, Korpisalo or one of the veteran defensemen Jack Johnson or David Savard) in the expansion draft.

That is a steep price.
Old 06-17-17, 09:35 PM   #53
DVD Talk Hero

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 06-18-17, 09:51 AM   #54
DVD Talk Hero

Protected list is up now.

Nashville left James Neal unprotected. I don't care what they offer McPhee on the phone, you politely say No Thanks and you TAKE HIM!

Anaheim has some tasty choices, but probably already has a deal in place with Vegas to not touch them.

Question from an NHL Draft neophyte: What sort of return do we expect from a late
First-Round NHL Draft player? Is it comparable to an NFL draft where anyone in the First Round should make an immediate impact, like the NBA where you can't really expect much past 8-10 unless you get lucky or is it like MLB where you have to train them in the farm league for a few years before you even know what you really have?

Last edited by Decker; 06-18-17 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-18-17, 10:10 AM   #55
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post

Nashville left James Neal unprotected. I don't care what they offer McPhee on the phone, you politely say No Thanks and you TAKE HIM!

Anaheim has some tasty choices, but probably already has a deal in place with Vegas to not touch them.

Question from an NHL Draft neophyte: What sort of return do we expect from a late
First-Round NHL Draft player? Is it comparable to an NFL draft where anyone in the First Round should make an immediate impact, like the NBA where you can't really expect much past 8-10 unless you get lucky or is it like MLB where you have to train them in the farm league for a few years before you even know what you really have?
Yeah, it looks like Vatanen won't be touched, but still some decent options available.

First round picks in the NHL are probably higher value due to the large pool of players from all over the world. Maybe not immediate impact, but there's so many quality players who weren't taken top 10.

Look at the Ducks drafting Getzlaf at 19 in 2003 and then Perry with the 28th pick

Kesler and Burns were late first rounders in that draft also.

That's probably an extreme example, but there is a high value placed on 1st round picks.

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 06-18-17, 11:25 AM   #56
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really looking forward to the draft and what the new cap number is ... this will be interesting to see how all this plays out.
Old 06-18-17, 04:52 PM   #57
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some good news on the Cap

---------------------------------------------
The salary cap will rise by $2 million for the 2017-18 season to an upper limit of $75 million, the NHL and its players' union announced Sunday.

The lower limit is set at $55.4 million, while the adjusted midpoint is $65.2 million, according to the joint announcement.

The expansion Vegas Golden Knights must spend at least to the salary floor in their first season.

The cap upper limit was $73 million last season. In 2015-16 it was $71.4 million, while it was $69 million for the 2014-15 season

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...se-75m-2017-18
Old 06-18-17, 06:34 PM   #58
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

I think Vegas will quickly realize why a goal scorer like him has bonced around so much and regret it.
Old 06-18-17, 07:04 PM   #59
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
I think Vegas will quickly realize why a goal scorer like him has bounced around so much and regret it.
He's only played for three different teams. Both the Stars and the Pens re-acquired him, which seems like a ringing endorsement of his character. Besides, there aren't many 20-goal scorers under thirty years old with Playoff experience made available in the expansion draft. We will take him.

Old 06-18-17, 08:10 PM   #60
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think anyone reaquired Neal after trading him, certainly the Pens did not. He scores, sure, but also plays the wrong way a lot.
Old 06-18-17, 10:06 PM   #61
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In regards to NHL first rounders making an immediate impact, it's extremely rare. It's not like the NFL at all. Usually only the top few picks even play in the NHL their first year. Most go to the minors, or in some cases even to juniors or US College. For example, Boston University this past year had SIX players on their roster who were already chosen in the first round of the NHL draft. That should tell you something.
Old 06-19-17, 02:24 PM   #62
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting article on Yahoo about why the new Vegas team won't be very good ...

https://sports.yahoo.com/learned-abs...135910643.html
Old 06-19-17, 03:27 PM   #63
DVD Talk Hero

I get what they're saying. I have no doubt that the franchise will struggle for a couple of years and seriously doubt they'd even flirt with a playoff spot. But having said that, I do think this expansion draft has the potential to start up a "competitive" team -- as in one who could win a game (at home) against most other NHL teams on any given night. They're adding a few quality starters - especially defensemen and a couple of decent Top 6-level forwards. And MAF in net is pretty damn solid.
I'm not saying they'll be very good, but if you look what expansion franchises typically get in an expansion draft, this is a considerably better haul. I do wish they could have ensured a higher First Round draft pick. Through very bad luck, they're only getting #6. A Top-2 pick would have really helped jump-start things. But as I said, this will quite possibly be a half-decent team and I'm looking forward to see how it shapes up.

I'll be at the Expansion draft at T-Mobile Arena in just over 48 hrs...

Old 06-19-17, 04:45 PM   #64
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Coyotes are not making an offer to Doan. Assuming he doesn't retire, it's going to be weird to see him with another franchise.
Old 06-19-17, 10:32 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
Coyotes are not making an offer to Doan. Assuming he doesn't retire, it's going to be weird to see him with another franchise.
That's just sad.

Can't imagine him with another team.
Old 06-20-17, 09:23 AM   #66
DVD Talk Hero

Vegas has a deal in place with the NY Islanders to take an unspecified player (likely useless center Mikhail Grabovski and his $5 cap hit next season) in exchange for their first round draft pick (#15). So that's at least three first rounders (6, 15, 24) and maybe one more from the Ducks. Hope the draft class is solid.

Do first round hockey players usually play right away or do they tend to go to the minor league team for a year or two first?
Old 06-20-17, 03:44 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Vegas has a deal in place with the NY Islanders to take an unspecified player (likely useless center Mikhail Grabovski and his $5 cap hit next season) in exchange for their first round draft pick (#15). So that's at least three first rounders (6, 15, 24) and maybe one more from the Ducks. Hope the draft class is solid.

Do first round hockey players usually play right away or do they tend to go to the minor league team for a year or two first?
Some do, but usually just the top couple players drafted are NHL-ready right away, though there are exceptions.

Hockeydb has stats broken down by draft years, so you can get an idea of who made an impact right away and who needed/needs extra time.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/index.html
Old 06-20-17, 06:33 PM   #68
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Vegas is doing this pretty well, it is not like there is a playoff team out there to be drafted, so getting what they can in exchange for taking bad contracts (which they need to hit the cap floor anyway) in exchange for picks along with some semi younger players they can pick up in the draft gives them some decent assets going forward .. either to make the picks or trade the picks for other assets.

How they draft will obviously be a key, but they seem to have a good plan in place
Old 06-20-17, 08:10 PM   #69
DVD Talk Hero

Apparent early leak of all 31 new jerseys

Old 06-20-17, 09:08 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

Liking the Knights jerseys. Especially the white one.

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 06-20-17, 11:02 PM   #71
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Story coming out that Hossa has developed an allergy to something in his equipment. There is medicine he can take with it but it requires frequent blood tests and doctors are scared to put him on it for the length of the season.

Sucks his career could end like that, but hopefully he's willing to go on LTIR instead of retiring. Eventhough his cap hit is over $5mil he's only owed a million per season for the rest of the contract.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 06-20-17, 11:29 PM   #72
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Liking the Knights jerseys. Especially the white one.

I think I like the home unis more. They are almost a little too busy. But I'll still be pre-ordering one tomorrow at The Armory

The one thing I had always expected was that the base color would be kind of a cobalt blue grey. That's the color I've seen in every concept jersey drawn up since the colors and logo were announced.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I'm a little surprised that they went with a dark grey instead (though that color does look good on me, so I can't complain too much).

Edit : Authentic Jerseys will sell for $200. Sold and sold!

Edit 2 : Oohh, look at the sleeve close-up :
Spoiler:

Last edited by Decker; 06-20-17 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-21-17, 01:43 AM   #73
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Story coming out that Hossa has developed an allergy to something in his equipment. There is medicine he can take with it but it requires frequent blood tests and doctors are scared to put him on it for the length of the season.

Sucks his career could end like that, but hopefully he's willing to go on LTIR instead of retiring. Eventhough his cap hit is over $5mil he's only owed a million per season for the rest of the contract.
Dang, that's really awful if he can't play anymore.
Old 06-21-17, 07:39 AM   #74
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
Dang, that's really awful if he can't play anymore.
I won't miss him as a Blues fan.

I'm empathetic to his situation. Sensitive skin can be quite brutal at times.

He had a very long career. It's hard to believe his brief stints in Pittsburgh and Detroit were almost a decade ago.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...hossama01.html
Old 06-21-17, 07:47 AM   #75
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More on Hossa, sounds like he is not retiring ...from what I read he said he will not play in the 17-18 season, which sounds like LTIR, which certainly helps with the cap.

Chicago Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa will not play in the NHL next season, saying in a statement that he has been receiving treatment for a skin disorder.

"Over the course of the last few years, under the supervision of the Blackhawks medical staff, I have been privately undergoing treatment for a progressive skin disorder and the side effects of the medications involved to treat the disorder," Hossa said Wednesday morning. "Due to the severe side effects associated with those medications, playing hockey is not possible for me during the upcoming 2017-18 season. While I am disappointed that I will not be able to play, I have to consider the severity of my condition and how the treatments have impacted my life both on and off the ice."

Hossa, 38, thanked the Blackhawks for their support and said he would not comment further on his health.

"His teammates and coaches know he battled through some very tough physical difficulties but never complained or missed games despite the challenges he faced," Bowman said in a statement. "The organization will continue to provide him every resource he needs to maintain his health."

Dr. Michael Terry, the Blackhawks' team physician, said the team strongly supports Hossa's decision not to play and called it the appropriate approach to "keep him functional and healthy in the short term and throughout his life."