Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-11-17, 04:25 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2017 NHL Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Not really an option for a Golden Knights fan.
Yeah I was thinking that for you. Just go nuts and get the authentic!
Old 05-16-17, 02:02 PM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

The Blues fired their assistant coaching staff.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...2f3cee6d7.html
Old 05-17-17, 06:43 AM   #28
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
ST. LOUIS - Starting with the 2017-18 season, the Blues won't be the primary affiliate of the American Hockey League's Chicago Wolves. That's because the Wolves now have a primary affiliation with the Vegas Golden Knights.

However, the Blues will continue to assign players and recall players from the Wolves next season.

Wait… what?

If you're confused, you're not alone. Blues General Manager Doug Armstrong held a conference call with the media on Tuesday afternoon and cleared up some of the confusion.

Here are the basics of what you need to know:

1. The Blues will continue to send prospects to the Chicago Wolves in 2017-18, as will the Vegas Golden Knights.

2. The Golden Knights will not be using Blues prospects on their NHL club in Vegas, just like the Blues won't be calling up Golden Knights prospects to St. Louis.

3. Vegas will be participating in the NHL Draft next month, and most of the players they select will be around 18 years of age and not yet ready to play in the American Hockey League. This is where the Blues come in - St. Louis can supply plenty of AHL-ready players right now.

4. Because the Golden Knights will select 30 NHL players at the expansion draft, all of them won't be able to play on Vegas' NHL roster. Therefore, some veteran NHL players will likely be assigned to the Wolves, where they can mentor some of the Blues' upcoming prospects.

5. Because of roster size limitations, Blues prospects that won't report to the Chicago Wolves will be reporting to other organizations, which are yet to be announced.

"Part of my comfort level is my relationship with (Vegas GM) George McPhee," Armstrong said of the arrangement. "He and I have talked extensively on the benefits of this relationship… I think it's a really competitive advantage for Vegas and us to join forces. We can input some of our better prospects into their environment."

Armstrong said the Blues have looked into options that included having their own AHL affiliate for this season, but those options have not yet worked out.

"We've had some irons in the fire, but they didn't take hold," Armstrong said.

The Blues will continue to look into having their own affiliate beginning with the 2018-19 season.
https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/5-thi...nt/c-289473052
Old 05-19-17, 12:52 PM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I've gone full hockey-geek now. I bought a ticket to the NHL Awards/Expansion Draft at T-Mobile on June 21st. I was going to skip it, but I figured for $30, it might be a fun place to be for a couple of hours.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 05-19-17, 02:31 PM   #30
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why didn't St. Louis put their AHL team in Kansas City while Vegas put a team in Reno. I heard their is no ice facility in Reno but they should be able too fix that.
Old 05-19-17, 03:15 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Why didn't St. Louis put their AHL team in Kansas City while Vegas put a team in Reno. I heard their is no ice facility in Reno but they should be able too fix that.
No, they didn't.

Wolves Join Forces with Vegas Golden Knights

May 16, 2017

GLENVIEW, Ill. — The Chicago Wolves announced Tuesday that the organization has signed a multi-year partnership with the Vegas Golden Knights, the National Hockey League’s expansion franchise that begins play in 2017-18.

The Wolves, who have earned four league championships, and the Golden Knights have forged an alliance based on their shared belief that winning is a crucial component of the American Hockey League experience. Vegas general manager George McPhee and Wolves owner Don Levin have it written into the teams’ agreement that the goal is to win championships at the AHL level.

“If you look at George McPhee’s history, he has always been a general manager who believes that winning is an important part of developing players,” Levin said. “Professional playoffs are different than the regular season and he understands that and he wants his players to be ready to win.”

During the nine seasons when McPhee served as the Washington Capitals’ GM and the Hershey Bears worked with the Capitals (2005-14), Hershey captured three Calder Cup championships.

“American Hockey League affiliates play a significant role in the success of all NHL clubs and are we are proud to have the Chicago Wolves as our first in team history,” McPhee said. “I would like to thank Don Levin, Wendell Young and the rest of the Wolves organization for their commitment to the game and helping young hockey players grow to reach their full potential as professionals. Chicago is without question one of the strongest, most passionate hockey communities in North America. This is a relationship that we truly believe will be mutually beneficial.”

The Golden Knights have just two players under contract — rookie forward Reid Duke, who spent the final five weeks of the 2016-17 season practicing with the Wolves, and Russian center Vadim Shipachyou — but that will change rapidly as McPhee and his hockey operations staff are in the final stages of preparation for the NHL Expansion Draft (June 18-21) and the NHL Entry Draft (June 23-24 in Chicago).

“We’re starting from the ground up with a new franchise,” said Wolves general manager Wendell Young. “It will be exciting to build both franchises together with the same philosophy.”

The Wolves captured the 2017 Central Division title — their fourth division crown in the last eight years — as the franchise enjoyed its finest regular-season showing (101 points) in seven seasons. The Wolves also reached the Central Division Finals during the 2017 Calder Cup Playoffs.

The Wolves have multiple ticket packages available for the 2017-18 season, including the opportunity to Call Dibs on a season-ticket seat for just $25. Click here for more information or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.

The Raiders will have their training facility in Reno, however.

Old 05-19-17, 04:12 PM   #32
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know why the Chicago Wolves don't join the NHL. I can think of 500,000 reasons.

When they were in the IHL,the Wolves and Detroit Vipers were as close as you could get to being NHL teams. Then the Vipers,along with most of the IHL went in the toilet. I think Chicago and Milwaukee survived and entered the AHL.
Old 05-31-17, 06:26 PM   #33
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like a deal between the Blackhawks and Vegas may be close. The Hawks will let Vegas draft Trevor van Riemsdyk in the expansion draft if they will also take, via a trade, Marcus Kruger.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 06-01-17, 11:52 AM   #34
DVD Talk Hero

Really good article in NYT about the direction that GM George McPhee is planning on taking the Golden Knights in their expansion season :
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/31/s...ring.html?_r=1

Here is a pretty extensive Mock Expansion Draft (based on assumptions of who is left unprotected, and not including potentially signing UFAs)
http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/201...golden-knights

Old 06-04-17, 12:38 AM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/06/03/...e-right-price/

Man, it's got to be a tough decision for McPhee to pull the trigger on taking bad contracts in exchange for first-round draft picks. They're valuable but inheriting other teams' most costly mistakes is a dangerous way to start up a franchise.

Old 06-04-17, 12:48 AM   #36
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

As long as your not stuck with anything longer than 3 or 4 years it's probably the best way to build the team.

Those rosters from the mock expansion draft are uggggggggly.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Old 06-04-17, 01:07 AM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Those rosters from the mock expansion draft are uggggggggly.
Yeah. We will end up with a serviceable goaltender and a couple of skilled defensemen, but I don't see any quality Forwards anywhere. Offense and goal scoring will be hard to come by. I'm already regretting picking the "Shoot Twice" end of the arena for my quarter-season tickets.
Old 06-07-17, 09:16 PM   #38
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are bad contracts and there are BAD contracts. Take Kruger with the Hawks, his contract is bad for the Hawks given their other contracts, but for an expansion team, it is a decent contract and he has value as a penalty killer/bottom 6 forward who might score a bit more in a different system.

In other Hawks news:

The Chicago Blackhawks have agreed to a one-year deal with Czech defenseman Jan Rutta. The 26-year-old Rutta set career highs with 24 assists and 32 points in 46 games with the Czech Extraliga's Pirati Chomutov.
Old 06-10-17, 09:09 PM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

Blackhawks have apparently traded Marcus Kruger to the Golden Knights. No other details yet. Should I be happy about that? I assume this is part of that deal Mr X mentioned before to allow the Knights to get Trevor van Riemsdyk in the expansion draft.
Old 06-10-17, 11:09 PM   #40
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Kruger's a solid bottom six center who can play on the PK. He's never going to be a great offensive player, and he's only owed $3 mil a season for 2 seasons.

Old 06-11-17, 06:29 AM   #41
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a bit strange how many roster players Vegas is getting, even more so now that teams are giving them players in addition to the 30 from the draft. There is going to be a fair number of the guys being essentially demoted to play in the minors next year. Granted, these are not top 6/4/starters, but they were in the big show this season.
Old 06-11-17, 12:35 PM   #42
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Saw talk of Dustin Brown going to Vegas, now there's an awful contract

Old 06-11-17, 12:47 PM   #43
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Saw talk of Dustin Brown going to Vegas, now there's an awful contract
Man, even the Kings top-10 first-round draft pick wouldn't make that deal palatable.
Old 06-11-17, 12:49 PM   #44
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
It's a bit strange how many roster players Vegas is getting, even more so now that teams are giving them players in addition to the 30 from the draft. There is going to be a fair number of the guys being essentially demoted to play in the minors next year. Granted, these are not top 6/4/starters, but they were in the big show this season.
Some players are probably going to be traded back or to other teams in exchange for draft picks. Not all 30 will stay with Vegas or go to the Chicago Wolves.
Old 06-12-17, 02:28 PM   #45
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rumor report is Marc-Andre Fleury waived his no movement clause for the Vegas expansion draft.
Old 06-12-17, 02:45 PM   #46
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
Rumor report is Marc-Andre Fleury waived his no movement clause for the Vegas expansion draft.

Visiting NYC, I went to the NHL flagship store. All jerseys (except Pens and Predators) were 50% off. A couple of years ago, I would have bought a Kopitar jersey in a heart beat but I've moved on now.
Old 06-14-17, 11:44 PM   #47
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently the Golden Knights already have expansion draft deals in place with Chicago, Columbus and Anaheim. We knew about Chicago already, the Columbus deal is apparently taking on the contract of the corpse of David Clarkson. It's a massive contract but 80% will be paid by insurance. Vegas to get a first rounder and prospect.
The Anaheim deal kinda bums me out because they were supposed to provide us with our best defenseman due to the expansion rules and their glut of good defensemen. No word on what the deal is for, but I hope it's worth giving up the chance to take a top-quality player.
Old 06-15-17, 02:17 PM   #48
DVD Talk Gold Edition

@BuffaloSabres - DONE DEAL - The Sabres have hired Hockey Hall of Famer and former Sabre Phil Housley as Head Coach.
@SabresPR - The Buffalo Sabres have hired Phil Housley as the 18th head coach in franchise history.

BUFFALO SABRES NAME PHIL HOUSLEY HEAD COACH

Buffalo, New York - June 15, 2017 - The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has hired Phil Housley as the 18th head coach in franchise history. The Hockey Hall of Famer and former Sabres defenseman becomes the seventh alumnus to serve as the team’s head coach.

Housley joins the Sabres after helping to guide the Nashville Predators to their first Stanley Cup Final appearance in franchise history. Named an assistant coach on May 22, 2013, Housley was a driving force behind one of the NHL’s best defensive groups throughout his tenure.

“Based on his experience as a player and coach, we think Phil is uniquely qualified to be our head coach and to help us achieve our organizational goals,” said Sabres General Manager Jason Botterill. “His approach to the game aligns with the way we envision our hockey team playing and we’re excited to see where his leadership will take us in the future.”

During his four seasons in Nashville, the Predators ranked in the top two in the league in goals by defensemen every season and finished in the top half in fewest goals allowed in each of the last three seasons. Under his tutelage, Nashville had at least one player finish in the top five in voting for the James Norris Memorial Trophy every season from 2013-2014 to 2015-2016. The award is given annually to the league’s best defenseman.

Drafted by the Sabres in the first round (6th overall) of the 1982 NHL Draft, Housley went on to play 21 seasons in the NHL. His 1,232 career points (338+894) rank third among American players and fourth among defensemen all-time. He is also the Sabres’ career and individual-season leader in goals, assists and points by a defenseman. Each of his eight seasons in Buffalo rank among the top 10 single-season point totals by a Sabres defensemen.

Rest Of The Press Release - https://sabresdigitalpressbox.com/20...uffalo-sabres/
Old 06-16-17, 05:22 PM   #49
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-16-17, 06:43 PM   #50
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Big trade yesterday.

TB sends Drouin to the Habs for Mikhail Sergachev, one of the top defenseman prospects in hockey.

Drouin signed a six year, $33 million dollar extension with MTL.