DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 NCAA College Basketball Off-Season and Coaching Carousel Thread

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 03-24-17, 07:22 PM   #77
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

They hired a search firm and wound up hiring one of their asst coachs.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 03-24-17, 07:33 PM   #78
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
No surprise on Porter, but sorry to not be able to watch him play here.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 03-25-17, 01:31 AM   #79
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Lonzo Ball declared for the draft right after tonight's game.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Old 03-25-17, 01:39 AM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

No surprise about Ball.

He better get himself mentally ready to play in Brooklyn next season
Old 03-25-17, 01:40 AM   #81
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Lonzo Ball declared for the draft right after tonight's game.
Good. Bye bye. One down, 2 to go, who won't do shit in college (certainly if they go UCLA-Alford), for us college fans.

Hate his jump shot.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 03-25-17, 02:28 AM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
No surprise about Ball.

He better get himself mentally ready to play in Brooklyn next season
What are they going to draft him with?
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 03-25-17, 02:36 AM   #83
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
What are they going to draft him with?
Oh shit I didn't realize the Celtics have the pick.
Old 03-25-17, 02:55 AM   #84
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Oh shit I didn't realize the Celtics have the pick.
Not your fault that Celtics fans have been obsessed with this pick for quite a while.
Old 03-25-17, 12:38 PM   #85
DVD Talk Hero

Indiana hires Dayton head coach Archie Miller as their next Head Coach. Sorry Ken buzz.
Old 03-25-17, 01:07 PM   #86
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Indiana hires Dayton head coach Archie Miller as their next Head Coach. Sorry Ken buzz.
It was inevitable they would lose him.

My guess is that Mack was their first choice (not sure what they thought of Alford - I wouldn't want Alford) but he's a Xavier alum (which is great for Xavier - since they seem to lose every good coach) and still alive, but not a bad 2nd choice.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-25-17, 01:13 PM   #87
DVD Talk Hero

The timing of the hire makes me think that they were waiting to gauge Alford's interest before offering the job to Miller
Old 03-25-17, 01:24 PM   #88
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Not your fault that Celtics fans have been obsessed with this pick for quite a while.
Would the Celtics really need a Lonzo Ball though? Especially with the emergence of Isaiah Thomas? Would they just draft him just to have him?
Old 03-25-17, 01:25 PM   #89
DVD Talk God

Maryland women upset by 10-Oregon in the S16. Not even close. Maybe looking ahead to UConn. Now UConn women's path far easier.

Quote:
The timing of the hire makes me think that they were waiting to gauge Alford's interest before offering the job to Miller
He's seemingly got all the Balls coming through. Rinse, lose before the F4, repeat. No fan heat in LA.

I can't imagine them wanting Alford. I think Mack was their first choice.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-25-17, 01:51 PM   #90
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Amaker, Brey, and Shaka Smart are the top three candidates for Georgetown according to WaPo.

I don't think there's any chance Brey leaves ND. Shaka's already taking heat at UT, some people are calling him Charlie Strong 2.0 and he fired one of his assistants that came with him from VCU, but he'd be throwing away a huge pile of money.

Old 03-25-17, 01:55 PM   #91
DVD Talk God

Brey has natural ties. I can't remember if Maryland tried to get Brey after Gary retired. If Brey didn't want to come to Maryland, can't imagine him wanting to go to Georgetown.

Amaker is a natural fit. He knows the Big East from his Seton Hall days.

Shaka - who knows. Would have been a no-brainer 2 years ago. I'm sure that's who Georgetown alums/fans would want.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-25-17, 03:31 PM   #92
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Would the Celtics really need a Lonzo Ball though? Especially with the emergence of Isaiah Thomas? Would they just draft him just to have him?
Both Fultz and Ball are point guards, but if they have a top two pick I can't see the Celtics passing up either of them.
Old 03-25-17, 06:19 PM   #93
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
^ As a born-and-raised Dayton native, the only member of the Flyer Faithful on this board.... AND as someone who has called Bloomington my home for the past dozen years, I am clearly torn by this announcement.

Archie did wonders while at Dayton, including four straight NCAA trips, an appearance in the Elite Eight, and consecutive A-10 Championships. He led the Flyers to back-to-back-to-back-to-back 24-win seasons, while recruiting kids to a program that is clearly only the 4th choice in this state (behind tOSU, Cincy and XU). He cemented Dayton's place on this national landscape as much as Don Donoher did in the 1960s and 70s.

And who can blame him when offered a chance to head one of the biggest marquee basketball programs on earth?

So while I will miss seeing him at UD Arena, I look forward to seeing him here at Assembly Hall.

Farewell Archie.
Welcome Archie.

Wanna buy my house?

Meanwhile, the Indy Star hearts this announcement:
Linky: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...ller/99620772/

Quote:
Fred Glass knocks it out of the park with Archie Miller
Gregg Doyel , [email protected] Published 2:56 p.m. ET March 25, 2017 | Updated 14 minutes ago

INDIANAPOLIS – This guy’s going to win huge at Indiana.

Hiring Archie Miller was a mic-dropping moment for IU athletic director Fred Glass, who needs to make like that dude from the Verizon commercial when he introduces Miller on Monday. Glass needs to show up for the news conference at Assembly Hall with a handful of microphones hidden all over his body, all ready to be dropped as he reads from the news release that announced the hire of Archie Miller on Saturday.

“At Dayton,” Fred Glass could say if he’s reading verbatim from the news release, “Miller’s teams won back-to-back Atlantic 10 championships and have more won than 24 games each of the last four seasons …”

(Glass drops mic, pauses, reaches over his right shoulder for another mic, keeps going.)

“… and reached four straight NCAA tournaments for the first time in the history of Dayton men’s basketball ...”

(Glass drops mic, pauses, reaches into his back left pocket for another mic, keeps going.)

“… including a trip to the Elite Eight in 2014.”

(Glass spikes his final microphone, glares defiantly around the news conference and moonwalks out of the room.)

You think I’m kidding here? I’m not. The only reason I’m not calling Archie Miller a home run hire is because that would insult the kind of tape-measure shot Fred Glass just launched. This home run is going to break windows all over the Big Ten.

There were any number of great hires Indiana could have made, don’t get me wrong. Chris Holtmann would have been great. Chris Mack. Tony Bennett. Not sure Indiana went after any of those guys. Not sure it matters, not anymore, because those would have been great hires, home runs into the deepest part of the ballpark.

He’s perfect for IU, and I don’t throw around that word loosely. He’s young but has a great experience, he’s intense but has a great personality, he’s won a lot but … he’s going to win more at Indiana.

Look, this is a matter of math. Anyone who can make the NCAA tournament four years in a row at Dayton, can average 25.5 victories in that stretch, can go 5-4 in the NCAA tournament and can reach the Elite Eight? Well, anyone who can do that at Dayton can do that, plus a little more, at Indiana.

OK, maybe it’s not arithmetic. Maybe it’s atmospheric. Archie Miller has been sailing along at Dayton, a quality basketball school in a basketball town, but at Indiana he’s going to have gale-force winds at his back. No longer will Miller be recruiting to the fourth-biggest basketball school in his state. Now he’s recruiting to Indiana. And he’s recruiting in Indiana. And this state’s going to love him.

You are, Indiana. You are, IU fans.

The fan base was torn asunder by Steve Alford, who was the Donald Trump of this IU election: The older guard, those wanting to make IU basketball great again, they wanted Alford. They wanted to remember how it used to be, and they believed Alford was the guy to bring it all back.
The younger crowd, those interested in creating tomorrow more than rediscovering yesterday, wanted nothing to do with Alford. They didn’t like his handling of the Pierre Pierce sexual assault allegations at Iowa, but also they didn’t like his resume. He won some at Iowa, yes, he did. Won some more at New Mexico. Won some at UCLA as well, but in 22 years as a Division I head coach had never gone past the Sweet 16. If he hadn’t played at Indiana, Steve Alford never would have been a candidate for the IU job. He’s good, but he’s not that good.

Archie Miller? He went to North Carolina State. Got the job at Indiana. Because he is that good. And he’s always been this good, or at least been believed to be this good. I’m speaking from experience here, because I was covering North Carolina State in 1998 for the Charlotte Observer when the Wolfpack signed a 5-9 shooter out of Beavers Falls, Pa., named Ryan Miller.

We were told to call him Archie.

Archie Miller came to N.C. State to play for his brother, who was on Herb Sendek’s staff with the Wolfpack, and to be groomed to become a head coach himself. Archie and his older brother, Sean, were born into a basketball family. John Miller coached his boys at Blackhawk High School, and he raised them to be coaches. All over the ACC, people knew. I mean, we knew. The Miller kids, they’re going to be monster coaches someday.

Sean Miller became one of the country’s youngest head coaches at age 35 at Xavier, then averaged 24 wins over five years, went to four NCAA tournaments, reached one Elite Eight. If he could do that at Xavier, what could Sean Miller do at Arizona? Put it this way: It took him just two years to return the Wildcats to the college basketball elite. They won 32 games this season. Earned a No. 1 seed. Arizona’s in great hands.

And now, so is Indiana. What Sean Miller did at Xavier? Archie Miller damn near duplicated it at Dayton. Go back and re-read that last paragraph, please. And then watch this:

Archie Miller became one of the country’s youngest head coaches at age 32 at Dayton, then averaged 23 wins over six years, went to four NCAA tournaments, reached one Elite Eight.

If he could do that at Dayton, what could Archie Miller do at Indiana? You’ll see. And you’ll see it soon.
Old 03-25-17, 06:39 PM   #94
DVD Talk God

Archie is a good hire. Alford would have been a disaster.

That said, I thought Crean did a good job. I'd rather have him than Turgeon.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 03-25-17, 07:23 PM   #95
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Dakich had them believing there was a chance Brad Stevens was interested so quite a few are upset they didn't wait for him

Old 03-26-17, 03:23 AM   #96
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Dakich had them believing there was a chance Brad Stevens was interested so quite a few are upset they didn't wait for him
Ha.
Old 03-26-17, 04:46 PM   #97
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Both Fultz and Ball are point guards, but if they have a top two pick I can't see the Celtics passing up either of them.
There's also been speculation that Thomas wants a max contract and the Celtics could move on, but that's hard to imagine considering how important he is to them, and how far they've come. You'd have to sell the fans on rebuilding around a rookie.
Old 03-30-17, 04:55 PM   #98
DVD Talk Legend

Dayton hires Anthony Grant as new HC.

Linky: http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/Colle...9051490899263/

Quote:
Dayton Flyers name Anthony Grant new head basketball coach
UPI - March 30, 2017 at 2:53pm

Dayton named alumnus Anthony Grant as its new men's basketball coach, the school announced on Thursday. Grant replaces Archie Miller, who was hired last week to the same position at Indiana.

"I am honored and humbled to be the head coach at the University of Dayton," Grant said. "It's a great responsibility to take over at an institution that is so well-respected. Anyone you talk to in college basketball would say our program is a successful one, but the potential is here for so much more."

Grant, who played at Dayton from 1983-87, coached three seasons at Virginia Commonwealth and six more with Alabama. He has spent the last two years with Billy Donovan as an assistant with the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Grant owns a 193-110 career record. He guided VCU to two NCAA Tournaments and led Alabama to one.

"Anthony Grant is a proven winner with the highest integrity," Dayton AD Neil Sullivan said. "He has successful experience in coaching, recruiting, and playing basketball at an elite level. I welcome Anthony to our staff and look forward to partnering with him as we continue to aggressively pursue graduating student-athletes, winning conference championships and advancing in the NCAA Tournament. He is absolutely the right coach."
Old 03-30-17, 05:12 PM   #99
Premium Member

^^ Probably going with an Alum partly in hopes that he will stick around longer if he's successful.

I remember one of the teams he was on going to the elite 8, that was a pretty good team.
Old 03-30-17, 07:40 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hero

Congrats to Frank Mason III. He wins AP National Player of the Year award and becomes the first Kansas player ever to win that honor! It's his second official National Player of the Year award -- five more are yet to be announced

Mark Few of Gonzaga wins the AP National Coach of the Year.

AP All-American Team :
First Team

Frank Mason III, Kansas, 5-11, 190, senior: 20.8 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 5.1 apg, 48.7 3-pt fg pct, 36.2 minutes (65 first-place votes, 325 points - Unanimous Selection).

Josh Hart, Villanova, 6-5, 215, senior: 18.9 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 3.1 apg, 50.8 fg pct, 40.7 3-pt fg pct, 1.6 steals (62, 319).

Caleb Swanigan, Purdue, 6-9, 250, sophomore: 18.5 ppg, 12.6 rpg, 2.9 apg, 53.4 fg pct, 43.1 3-pt fg pct (61, 308).

Lonzo Ball, UCLA, 6-6, 190, freshman: 14.6 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 7.9 apg, 54.4 fg pct, 41.0 3-pt fg pct, 2.0 steals (54, 296).

Justin Jackson, North Carolina, 6-8, 210, junior: 18.1 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 2.7 apg (24, 223).

Second Team

Nigel Williams-Goss, Gonzaga, 6-3, 195, junior: 16.9 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 4.8 apg, 52.1 fg pct, 91.0 ft pct, 1.8 steals (13, 191).

Luke Kennard, Duke, 6-6, 202, sophomore: 20.1 ppg, 5.3 pg, 2.5 apg, 44.3 3-pt fg pct, 84.9 ft pct (10, 189).

Malik Monk, Kentucky, 6-3, 200, freshman: 20.4 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 2.4 apg, 40.3 3-pt fg pct (7, 165).

Dillon Brooks, Oregon, 6-7, 225, junior: 16.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.7 apg, 51.3 fg pct, 41.4 3-pt fg pct, 1.2 steals, 24.0 minutes (15, 152).

Johnathan Motley, Baylor, 6-10, 230, junior: 17.3 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 2.4 apg, 51.7 fg pct (4, 143).

Third Team

Josh Jackson, Kansas, 6-8, 207, freshman: 16.4 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 3.1 apg, 51.1 fg pct, 1.1 blocks, 1.7 steals (1, 96).

Markelle Fultz, Washington, 6-4, 195, freshman: 23.2 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 5.9 apg, 41.3 3-pt fg pct, 1.6 steals, 1.2 blocks, 35.7 minutes (3, 74).

Bonzie Colson, Notre Dame, 6-5, 225, junior: 17.5 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 52.3 fg pct, 1.4 blocks, 1.1 steals (1, 70).

Ethan Happ, Wisconsin, 6-10, 232, sophomore: 13.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 2.8 apg, 58.2 fg pct, 1.1 blocks, 1.9 steals (1, 66).

Lauri Markkanen, Arizona, 7-0, 230, freshman: 15.6 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 43.2 3-pt fg pct, 82.4 ft pct (1, 50).

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.