DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-24-17, 01:17 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Championship teams that ultimately disappointed?

So I'm still basking in the glow of a Cubs WS win, but thinking that if they end up never winning another with this young core, it will ultimately be something of a disappointment. Like how the Seahawks won a dominating victory with a young core, then came a few yards short of another one, then haven't made the championship game since, and it will feel a bit disappointing if they don't win another one. And that probably isn't fair because both teams brought a title to a starving fanbase, but we still can't help wondering what might have been.

Some other great teams that could be considered disappointments were the '90s Braves and the '86 Bears. (I was thinking about this for a Sheep game but it was too obvious to be a good question.) The recent Celtics Big Three could've easily won more than one as well.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 02-24-17, 01:33 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Championship teams that ultimately disappointed?

Interesting thought. I do agree it's unfair to be disappointed if your team doesn't win more than one in a small window. It's really hard to win a championship, after all.

But I do get it -- it's one thing to be able to watch a championship team and it's another to watch a dynasty unfold.

I think this happens often in the NBA because winning a single championship doesn't ever seem to be enough when fans are concerned. If the Warriors don't win the championship this year, they may end up going down in history as huge choke artists instead of a great team that won a championship.
Old 02-24-17, 01:51 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

86 Bears seems like the obvious answer, given that they are often mentioned as one of the greatest teams ever.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 02-24-17, 02:01 PM   #4
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was listening to a radio show this morning going on about how GB better make some big moves soon or Rodgers will only ever have that one SB win. Which if you agree with just how awesome of a QB he has been, will be really sad for both fans of Rodgers (me) and the Packers in general. By the same token I think in recent years fans of the Colts and Rams probably feel the same way. Teams that seemed like they should have had a few rings to show off given they had the big time QB and the many other complimentary parts that often result in multiple SB rings.

As for the NBA, the team that really sticks out to me didn't actually win because Jordan came back (The Sonics). That team was so awesome, but they either lost in the 1st round to the likes of Mutumbo or finally got their shit together only to be foiled by MJ. Maybe fans of the Mavericks would say they fit, but even the year they won, I never thought they were the best team. Just part of the mix.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-24-17 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 02:21 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

I'll go with the 2016 Cubs as my answer.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 02-24-17, 03:13 PM   #6
DVD Talk Godfather

Weird to say about a team that won 3 titles, but it seems like the Shaq/Kobe Laker teams are often seen as a disappointment given how the team broke up and the belief that they could/should have won a lot more together.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 02-24-17, 03:27 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The '96 Braves. After getting back to the World Series and winning the first two games in NY by a combined 16-1, they ended up losing 4 straight.
Old 02-24-17, 03:47 PM   #8
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
The '96 Braves. After getting back to the World Series and winning the first two games in NY by a combined 16-1, they ended up losing 4 straight.
I guess that entire amazing run 15 first place finishes in 16 years that yielded only one championship sorta fits the thread.
Old 02-24-17, 04:25 PM   #9
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Weird to say about a team that won 3 titles, but it seems like the Shaq/Kobe Laker teams are often seen as a disappointment given how the team broke up and the belief that they could/should have won a lot more together.
Yeah, that does make sense considering their dominance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
As for the NBA, the team that really sticks out to me didn't actually win because Jordan came back (The Sonics). That team was so awesome, but they either lost in the 1st round to the likes of Mutumbo or finally got their shit together only to be foiled by MJ. Maybe fans of the Mavericks would say they fit, but even the year they won, I never thought they were the best team. Just part of the mix.
That team had so much talent, though it's hard to say they were a sure thing because they didn't have a traditional makeup (enter Jim McIlvaine!). They really did squander their chances during the non-Jordan years. That was the peak of my interest in the NBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I'll go with the 2016 Cubs as my answer.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 02-24-17, 05:53 PM   #10
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
That team had so much talent, though it's hard to say they were a sure thing because they didn't have a traditional makeup (enter Jim McIlvaine!). They really did squander their chances during the non-Jordan years. That was the peak of my interest in the NBA.
They were ahead of their time. Even though only GP will ever be in the HOF, there are few foursomes that could hang with he combo of Gary, Nate, Detlef, and Shawn (plus Big Smooth when he had it going). But I tend to look at them with more than the usual homer goggles because of Detlef. I've played with or followed him since he first came over from Germany. One of my best days as a sports fan is when he was able to come "home" to Seattle.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-24-17 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 07:44 PM   #11
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
They were ahead of their time. Even though only GP will ever be in the HOF, there are few foursomes that could hang with he combo of Gary, Nate, Detlef, and Shawn (plus Big Smooth when he had it going). But I tend to look at them with more than the usual homer goggles because of Detlef. I've played with or followed him since he first came over from Germany. One of my best days as a sports fan is when he was able to come "home" to Seattle.
I loved that team--so much fun to watch. Detlef had great skills for his size.
Old 02-24-17, 07:55 PM   #12
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I loved that team--so much fun to watch. Detlef had great skills for his size.
The perfect complimentary player. He legitimately could play every position on the floor, and did at every level. So much so that it is hard to say what his real actual position was all season.
Old 02-24-17, 08:01 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

If you're going to go with non winners you could probably say that about most of the teams that failed to win a title because of Jordan (and Olajuwon) probably most notably the Stockton/Malone Jazz, but also the Barkley/KJ Suns, Ewing's Knicks, Penny/Shaq Magic, etc. And in a later era, which I'm sure is still a sore spot for many fans, the Webber Kings.

But the NBA is all about dynasties. I agree that the Shaq/Kobe Lakers will always have that what if factor, but they won three times. But the Garnett/Allen/Pierce Celtics should have probably won more than one, and even the Lebron Heat was a bit of a dissappointment.

I've never seen a career go sideways due to weight as fast as Shawn Kemp... with the possible exception of they guy they traded him away for.
Old 02-24-17, 08:25 PM   #14
DVD Talk God

UNLV 1991. Most dominating college basketball team I've ever seen. Off a championship and lost in the F4 to the hated Dookies. Should have been back to back. Program died after that.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55

Last edited by Red Dog; 02-24-17 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-24-17, 08:36 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

That's a good call, that UNLV team was amazeballs.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 02-24-17, 09:08 PM   #16
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2016 SF Giants - broke that "even year" magic

Just kidding. Three rings are great
Old 02-24-17, 09:10 PM   #17
DVD Talk God

And for the other college one....football -- Miami 2002, off the 2001 title. Incredible talent on that team. Had a 34 game win streak and lost to OSU in the NCG. Program started fading after that.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 02-24-17, 09:41 PM   #18
DVD Talk Hero

That UNLV team definitely came to mind. I think they only had a two-year window with Grandmama, but talent-wise, they blew everyone out of the water. The fact that Duke pulled off the upset after getting destroyed the year before was one of the most surprising sports outcomes I've ever seen.
Old 02-24-17, 09:44 PM   #19
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

2007 Patriots
Old 02-24-17, 10:35 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say the Phillies of 2009-2011. After winning it all in 2008, they still had that really strong core for a few more years. They came close to a second title in 2009 and were still pretty good in 2010. In 2011 they had another great shot (with 102 wins), but of course I'm glad they disappointed that year.

Then it all just fell apart.
Old 02-25-17, 04:11 AM   #21
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
I'd say the Phillies of 2009-2011. After winning it all in 2008, they still had that really strong core for a few more years. They came close to a second title in 2009 and were still pretty good in 2010. In 2011 they had another great shot (with 102 wins), but of course I'm glad they disappointed that year.

Then it all just fell apart.
I remember Phillies fans giving Giants fans shit after the Giants won in 2010. "It was all a fluke. They just got hot at the right time." Of course, they were still feeling bitter after the NLCS.

Then 2012 and 2014 happened

And the Phillies continued their downward trend. Looks like the Phillies were the fluke.
Old 02-25-17, 07:04 AM   #22
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Seattle Seahawks not running Marshawn Lynch.
Old 02-26-17, 10:50 PM   #23
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say the UNLV-Duke game was my biggest shocker. I didn't see that coming at all and the complete fallout after.

Also, while not a team, shortly before that UNLV thing, Mike Tyson lost his championship in a shocking way and never really recovered.

I remember it as a crazy time in my life in high school where these dominate champions went down and were never the same.
Old 02-27-17, 11:01 AM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

The Florida Marlins
Twice, after their 1997 and 2003 WS titles they became terrible. Mostly becuase their owner traided all the talent away after each title
Old 02-27-17, 01:49 PM   #25
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
And for the other college one....football -- Miami 2002, off the 2001 title. Incredible talent on that team. Had a 34 game win streak and lost to OSU in the NCG. Program started fading after that.
Screwed against Ohio State you mean.

But yes, this team. Could have/should have played for the title in 2000, best college football team of all-time in 2001, robbed of a title in 2002. Still not over it to this day, never will be.