DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-27-17, 03:46 PM   #26
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Championship teams that ultimately disappointed?

Defense-first championship teams tend to have short windows of greatness. That '86 Bears team was legendary for its defense. There were better offenses in the league and that caught up with them.

John Smoltz blames losing four straight to the Yankees in 1996 killing their chances of future World Series rings. It killed them psychologically. They never really played that well in the playoffs after that series, even when they made it to the WS in 1999. The team got content winning the division each year.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 02-28-17, 12:57 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

The 1988-1989-1990 Oakland A's

Those motherfuckers were loaded for bear. They led the league in wins each year (averaging 102) and totally dominated the AL by going 12-1 in the ALCS. Eight of their nine regular post-season starters played in at least one All-Star game (Rickey Hendeson, McGwire, Canseco, McGee, Steinbach, Randolph, Baines and Lansford). But when it came to the World Series - they stunk, winning only 5 games total. Sure, they lived up to their potential in '89 by sweeping the Giants, but that was sandwiched between being embarrassed by the Dodgers 4-1 and being swept by the lowly Reds.

Then they imploded.
Old 02-28-17, 05:07 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post

Those motherfuckers were loaded for bear. They led the league in wins each year (averaging 102) and totally dominated the AL by going 12-1 in the ALCS. Eight of their nine regular post-season starters played in at least one All-Star game (Rickey Hendeson, McGwire, Canseco, McGee, Steinbach, Randolph, Baines and Lansford). But when it came to the World Series - they stunk, winning only 5 games total. Sure, they lived up to their potential in '89 by sweeping the Giants, but that was sandwiched between being embarrassed by the Dodgers 4-1 and being swept by the lowly Reds.

Then they imploded.
That's a good pick. That Reds sweep was considered one of the biggest upsets in WS history.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 02-28-17, 05:53 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Then they imploded.
Good call, that A's mini-dynasty greatly underachieved in the playoffs. Both the Dodgers and Reds were huge underdogs going into those series.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 02-28-17, 06:13 PM   #30
DVD Talk Hero

Terry Steinbach! Haven't thought about him in a long time. And I had to google "Randolph" because the only one I could think of was Willie, but... same guy.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 03-03-17, 12:03 PM   #31
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

Then they imploded.
The Bash Brothers were a powerhouse then (little did we know they were the birth of the Steroid era). What's funny is if you look back at the 1990 World Series, the A's should not have been a slam dunk like we all thought at the time. The Reds went wire to wire in the NL West as they dominated all year. And that Reds team was really the birth of the dominant bullpen that now always wins in the Playoffs. They had Charlton 7th inning, Dibble 8th inning and Myers in the 9th. The game was over by the 6th inning if the Reds had the lead, and that is why the A's should have not been as heavily favored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
UNLV 1991. Most dominating college basketball team I've ever seen. Off a championship and lost in the F4 to the hated Dookies. Should have been back to back. Program died after that.
The problem with that UNLV team is they dominated so much during the regular season, they never got any reps playing in a close game. When Duke hung with them in that semifinal game, UNLV started to play tight because they were rarely in a situation of that half court offense you run at the end of the game. I think Anderson Hunt took the last shot when they lost as it should have went into Larry Johnson in the post.
Old 03-07-17, 12:51 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
....the A's should not have been a slam dunk like we all thought at the time. The Reds went wire to wire in the NL West as they dominated all year. And that Reds team was really the birth of the dominant bullpen that now always wins in the Playoffs. They had Charlton 7th inning, Dibble 8th inning and Myers in the 9th. The game was over by the 6th inning if the Reds had the lead, and that is why the A's should have not been as heavily favored.
True, but the wire-to-wire was due in no small part to Cincy rocketing out of the gates... 9-0 and 33-12 to open the season. By mid-year they were playing mediocre baseball and won the West only because time ran out on the Dodgers and Giants.

The starting rotation (except for Jose Rijo) had started to get touched-up, so Pinella moved Charlton from the Bullpen into a starting role. But still, with Dibble's power and Meyer's accuracy, as you point out, late-inning leads were generally safe.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 03-07-17 at 12:57 PM.