Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-27-17, 04:05 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 Tennis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I'm just not sure Fed's body can hold up these days under the stress of Nadal grinding out four or five sets.

I also don't think rushing the net will be nearly as effective against Nadal as it was against Wawrinka.

Fed is going to have to serve out of his mind against Nadal if he wants to win.
- I'm not sure Nadal's body can hold up if he has to play another 4-5 hours 5 set match on 1 day's rest either. He's not 25 anymore.

- Fair enough, but he still has to do it. No way he can win from the baseline, and his transition/net game is better than Dimitrov's.

- Yup, Fed's serve is key but so is taking advantage of his opportunities on Nadal's serve. He will have many chances to break, but he can't go 2/12 (low%) like he usually does.
Old 01-27-17, 04:43 PM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

I hate that Serena will (almost certainly) eclipse Graf's Slam total. The difference in personalities between the two is stark. One is classy and soft-spoken, while the other is peevish and incapable of good sportsmanship.
Federer will probably choke again in the 5th set, as he has so many times before.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 01-27-17, 06:43 PM   #53
DVD Talk Hero

While we are talking about Roger, Rafael and Venus being in a position to win for the first time in awhile, it is also worth mentioning the Bryan brothers, who are in position to win their their first major since 2014 after going 10 straight season winning at least one.
Old 01-28-17, 06:39 AM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

Serena did it.
Old 01-28-17, 02:54 PM   #55
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never thought anyone would break Graf's record. But at this point with the way that she is playing. 25 or more aren't outside the realm of possibility.
Old 01-28-17, 04:25 PM   #56
DVD Talk Legend

If the majors get faster like this AO, Serena could end up with 30 Slams.

Watch, the majors will be in a rush to speed up their surfaces if it means Federer can continue making deep runs at the Slams. He's their #1 draw by far and they will do anything to keep him in contention at the Slams.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 01-28-17, 05:17 PM   #57
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its weird because you would think the faster surfaces favor the younger athletes.
Old 01-29-17, 07:01 AM   #58

Federer did it! I couldn't believe it, but he did it despite all the odds, sets backs, age, etc. He to me has solidified his place as the GOAT after that performance and perseverance, against one of his biggest rivals. There has to be some sweet revenge of some sort, but you'd never know it by how classy he remained the whole time. Congrats to Roger with his amazing performance, throughout the whole tournament. It was vintage Federer at its finest. And hats off to Rafa for pushing Roger almost to his limits. It's gotta be one of the sweetest match wins ever. Retirement, schmirement. Number 18 doesn't have to be the end, but if it is, what a career.
Old 01-29-17, 09:23 AM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Grats to Fed!

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 01-29-17, 02:08 PM   #60
DVD Talk Legend

It was neither man's best tennis but Federer overcame improbable odds to win one more Slam. I'm sure many of us were thinking it was over when Fed went down a break in the fifth set. It was in his favor that the match wasn't one of those five or six hour marathons we usually get at the AO for the men's final.

The match didn't really play out as I expected. Federer clearly decided going to net against Nadal was suicide before the match, so he stayed back and relied on his forehand. Both men have lost a step covering ground.

I thought the tide turned against Nadal when he put too much air on his groundstrokes, giving Fed just enough opening to win in rallies. His serve was less of a factor than expected. In fact, Nadal seemed to come up with the bigger serves.

I know this sounds crazy but I would not play the French Open if I were Federer. His body needs as much rest as possible for Wimbledon if he truly wants to be a legitimate contender to win it. The same applies to Nadal, he may want to skip Wimbledon to save his body after the claycourt season.

Old 01-29-17, 02:37 PM   #61

Maybe Rogers first serve wasn't the best, but everything else was pretty much vintage Federer. I hadn't seen him play that confidently since Wimbledon 2012 final when he won. Sure they all make mistakes, but that's all finals. Everyone plays a bit more tight that usual, which is understandable. For Roger, it was his serve. For everything else though, he made the big points when it mattered, and he hadn't done that in a long time as far as I'm concerned (in a GS final anyway)
Old 01-29-17, 03:11 PM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't think he would ever win one again.

Awesome.
Old 01-29-17, 04:12 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

I'll eat my hat. Good for him! My PVR cut out early in the 5th, so I missed the most important part.
It resembled so many of the previous matches between the two, but Federer obviously had enough mental fortitude this time.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 01-29-17, 07:55 PM   #64
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really happy to see Federer win a GS again, regardless of the circumstances (not having to face Murray or Djokovic).

18 feels like a great number, won't be disappointed if he doesn't win another.
Old 01-30-17, 09:19 AM   #65
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Really happy to see Federer win a GS again, regardless of the circumstances (not having to face Murray or Djokovic).

18 feels like a great number, won't be disappointed if he doesn't win another.
How about that irrelevant Venus Williams making it all the way to the final?
Old 01-30-17, 10:13 AM   #66
DVD Talk Hero

Happy for Roger even though I was rooting hard for Nadal. I wonder if Rafa has another Slam or two in him?
Old 01-30-17, 11:16 AM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

Watched the replay on TSN, but they started midway through the 3rd and I already knew who won (thanks crazy Fed fan sister-in-law!). This has been stated many times, but winning this after a long layoff at 35, and three 5 set matches against tough opponents, is truly an amazing accomplishment.

Fed didn't go to the net as much as I thought he would, but he was very aggressive on return of serves instead of just blocking the ball back. More importantly, his backhand not only held up well, he was able to attack Nadal's forehand with it. That was key to me, along with Nadal's average serve. Even 1-3 down in the 5th, Fed had break points in every one of Nadal's service games. And while Nadal is very good at saving those, it still puts tremendous pressure on his serve and well, he eventually cracked.

I woudn't be surprised if Fed retired at the end of this year. He always said he wanted to play until he was 35, and he dropped a hint in his acceptance speech.
Old 01-30-17, 11:34 AM   #68
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I woudn't be surprised if Fed retired at the end of this year. He always said he wanted to play until he was 35, and he dropped a hint in his acceptance speech.
My theory also. He will play the year out and probably pull the plug. As hinted by one of the McEnroes, he may be wise to either skip the French or deliberately tank out early.
Old 01-30-17, 02:33 PM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

It wouldn't shock me if Fed skips the French and announces his retirement after playing Wimbledon. He's not going to play the brutal summer hardcourt season which he never really liked in the first place.

Old 01-30-17, 05:26 PM   #70
DVD Talk Hero

I doubt he'd retire in the middle of the season. Plus, it's not like he has to play every tournament, he can pick and choose his schedule as he sees fit. And he just won a slam on hard courts, woudn't make much sense to skip the USO.
Old 01-30-17, 09:18 PM   #71

He's already said he's wanting to play both Wimbledon and the US Open, and even the French, though stressing he feels better about his chances at the other majors. I think retirement all depends on how the year goes for him, most notably how well his body holds up. He just seems more conscientious about his words due to the long break he needed to take from the tour, which for him probably felt more like years than months, considering how he has barely taken any downtime for almost two decades.
Old 01-30-17, 11:49 PM   #72
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
More importantly, his backhand not only held up well, he was able to attack Nadal's forehand with it.

Good analysis on how Fed effectively used his BH against Rafa:

"Roger Federer Played Free And Gave His Archrival The Back Of His Hand"

http://deadspin.com/roger-federer-pl...-ba-1791787293

Edited: And someone made this!

Last edited by eXcentris; 01-31-17 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-31-17, 06:02 AM   #73

Good analysis. I never understood why Roger quit moving guys like Djokovic and Nadal side to side more with a "power" backhand (rather than a slice) along with his forehand (it helped him beat Djokovic at Wimbledon in 2012 semifinal and Rafa at ATP WTF in 2010). Roger's newer racquet was partially chosen to deal with Rafa, which evidently finally paid off.

It was an incredible 5th set. And even if it didn't actually lead to the eventual break in the service game, that 26-shot rally was one of the best I've ever seen, with that reflex-like forehand down the line winner by Roger a thing of sheer beauty.

Old 01-31-17, 04:22 PM   #74
DVD Talk Hero

And it looks like the retirement talk is premature:

Quote:
“I hope to be back next year, of course,” said Federer. “I love playing here, I’ve never missed it, ever since playing here in ’98 in the juniors and then qualifying in ’99.

"So, yeah, the goal is absolutely to be playing. That’s why I took the six months off to hopefully still be playing for a couple of years."
Old 01-31-17, 07:50 PM   #75
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
And it looks like the retirement talk is premature:
He could pull a Stefan Edberg and just keep playing long after his chances of winning another major have evaporated. Of course, there were many until a week ago who thought he was already doing that. Edberg played four full seasons after his last GS win and almost four after his last final. OTOH, Edberg was still only 31 when he retired.

The fact of the matter is that he may just still enjoy the hell out of playing the tour and, frankly, even only making it to the QFs and winning/finaling in smaller events still is a very nice income (although you would have to assume that Fed can afford gold-plated toothbrushes for the rest of his life as it is). As Edberg said once when asked why he kept playing: "It's my job".