Agreed.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 01-24-17, 09:03 PM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 Tennis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Go Jo!
Serena brought her A-game tonight and Jo just doesn't have enough to hurt her. Not looking good so far.
Old 01-24-17, 09:44 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Serena brought her A-game tonight and Jo just doesn't have enough to hurt her. Not looking good so far.
Yeah. Wasn't close.
Old 01-25-17, 09:55 AM   #29
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, Rafa crushed Raonic.
Old 01-25-17, 02:26 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

I now feel better about Alexander Zverev's loss to Nadal. Claims are coming out that Raonic had some sort of fever during the AO.

I think Nadal is the last opponent Fed would want to face if he made it to the Finals.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 01-25-17, 03:11 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hero

Rafa played well but Raonic self-destructed. Played like crap in the 1st and choked away 6 set points in the 2nd. Rafa just had to keep the ball in play and wait for an error.
Old 01-25-17, 11:48 PM   #32

Good for Venus! It's almost certainly going to be a Venus/Serena final.
Old 01-25-17, 11:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I now feel better about Alexander Zverev's loss to Nadal. Claims are coming out that Raonic had some sort of fever during the AO.

I think Nadal is the last opponent Fed would want to face if he made it to the Finals.
I agree, but even though Nadal is playing well, this isn't the Nadal from several years ago, or even four years ago.

Dimitrov is looking like a dark horse to win this thing. I know he was playing Goffin, but I haven't seen Grigor play this well ever, so I think Nadal has his work cut out for him. I'm doubtful Roger even beats Stan, and I'm a huge Fed fan. The commentators keep saying the court is playing very fast, so I have to believe Federer has a chance at winning the title, which would be insane considering his nightmare of a season last year.
Old 01-26-17, 06:41 AM   #34

For any Fed fan, that match was on the brink of giving us all strokes. I still can't believe Roger didn't choke considering his play in the 3rd and 4th sets (he did get lucky with Stan imploding in the 5th). So happy he made the final. Looking forward to the other semifinal. Dimitrov is looking mighty dangerous these days, so Rafa could have some trouble, like he did recently against the Bulgarian.

The Venus and Serena final is great for tennis no matter what the outcome will be.
Old 01-26-17, 08:39 AM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

if it's Rafa vs Fed, and Venus vs Serena, wow. hope so.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 01-26-17, 09:09 AM   #36
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not getting my hopes up that Fed finally wins another Slam. He's been in this position too many times since 2012.
Old 01-26-17, 09:50 AM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Not getting my hopes up that Fed finally wins another Slam. He's been in this position too many times since 2012.
Just three times, and he lost all three to Djokovic. So at least if he loses again, it will be to someone different.
Old 01-26-17, 10:08 AM   #38
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brack View Post
The Venus and Serena final is great for tennis no matter what the outcome will be.
I wonder if this is really true. It is pretty good for U.S. tennis, and Serena will finally break the record, and it is good that this will happen because she derves it. But Lucic-Baroni's story is far more compelling than that of either Williams sisters and Coco is quite possibly the "next big thing".

Seems like a Coco/Mirjana final would be better for tennis overall and, due to Coco, pretty damn good for U.S. tennis as well. Both men's and women's tennis has suffered from a serious lack of parity, and that is not ultimately good for the sport's popularity.
Old 01-26-17, 01:30 PM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

Their finals are lame, iirc.
Old 01-26-17, 03:37 PM   #40
DVD Talk Hero

To me, this AO has been amazing for it's great stories and unpredictability. Venus, Coco W., Lucic-Baroni, Fed, Rafa, and don't forget Mischa Zverev, who came back from 2 sets down (and a few match points) against Isner, and then took out Murray.

There's usually a nice story or two in a slam but nobody could have predicted these results. And as a tennis fan (even if I'm a Fed fan) I want to see a Fed vs Rafa final, regardless of the result, because we might never see that again.
Old 01-26-17, 04:23 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Stan simply didn't play that well against Fed. He's usually more dialed-in on his groundstrokes and seemed flustered by Fed rushing the net. I was still fairly certain he'd pull it out in the fifth set as Fed was starting to look slow running around the court. I don't think it was nerves, Stan just had one of those days.

I'm rooting for Venus to win but I am not expecting anything. Coco's inexperience deep into a Slam showed in her match.

Old 01-26-17, 08:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I wonder if this is really true. It is pretty good for U.S. tennis, and Serena will finally break the record, and it is good that this will happen because she derves it. But Lucic-Baroni's story is far more compelling than that of either Williams sisters and Coco is quite possibly the "next big thing".

Seems like a Coco/Mirjana final would be better for tennis overall and, due to Coco, pretty damn good for U.S. tennis as well. Both men's and women's tennis has suffered from a serious lack of parity, and that is not ultimately good for the sport's popularity.
Ratings-wise, yes, it does matter. No one cares about women's tennis unless there's a Serena, Venus or Sharapova, and I'm not just talking about the US. It's embarrassing when almost all the top seeded women flame out in the early rounds of the majors year after year. There are no decent rivalries at all on the women's side, so a Venus/Serena final is about as close to one as we're going to get when the top players are so weak.

And I'd take a few great tennis players over a bunch of good ones winning majors every year. Who wants to watch just good?
Old 01-26-17, 08:39 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I'm not either. He's kind of lucky he got to the final when Stan finally broke down in the 5th. At least no one has said he got an easy draw this time out (though he might have caught a break with Murray's early exit, but that's a big maybe imo). If he does win it will have to be considered one of his greatest wins of all time, at his age and after such a crappy season last year (by his standards anyway). Even if he doesn't, the idea that he should retire is beyond laughable when he can still makes semis and finals on a regular basis.
Old 01-27-17, 07:46 AM   #44
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh, dammit. Went the distance though.
Old 01-27-17, 07:47 AM   #45
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nadal just won in the 5th, will face Fed for the title. Obviously rooting for Fed, but think Nadal will win.
Old 01-27-17, 08:56 AM   #46
DVD Talk Hero

So either Nadal moves into second place alone all-time at 15 and within 2 of Roger, or Fed extends his lead to an unbeatable 18. Going to be so much fun. Rooting for Nadal.

Oh and if Nadal wins, he will become only the 3rd man (Laver, Emerson) to win each Slam at least twice.
Old 01-27-17, 09:50 AM   #47
DVD Talk Hero

5 sets and 5 hours to beat baby Fed? Pfffft.... Fed in 4.
Old 01-27-17, 02:46 PM   #48
DVD Talk Special Edition

The pressure is definitely all on Roger and Serena. If Rafa wins he is within 2 of Roger and given their h2h record people would start looking at him as the Goat more then Roger. For Serena another Slam finals lost and maybe she starts thinking she can't catch Steffi and the SF and F loses keep coming in Slams.
Old 01-27-17, 02:50 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just not sure Fed's body can hold up these days under the stress of Nadal grinding out four or five sets.

I also don't think rushing the net will be nearly as effective against Nadal as it was against Wawrinka.

Fed is going to have to serve out of his mind against Nadal if he wants to win.

Old 01-27-17, 02:58 PM   #50
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The faster court surface is to Fed's advantage, so at least he has that going for him.