DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 08-11-17, 08:23 PM   #326
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 Tennis Thread

And I think he was 143 coming in (his goal for this year was top 150), and with that win tonight he'll be 66 or 67. Too bad the cutoff for the USO has already passed, but that ranking will help immensely in future tournaments (i.e. not going through qualifiers and/or hoping for wildcards).
Old 08-11-17, 08:59 PM   #327
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, and just turned 18. I will pretty much always be a fan since I'm also a lefty with a one handed backhand, but his backswing on the forehand has me concerned. It's so long and loopy (reminds me of Florian Mayer) that it's easy for the shot to fall apart, technique wise. Wish the backswing was shorter and more compact.
Old 08-11-17, 09:54 PM   #328
DVD Talk Hero

This second match is a repeat of last week's DC final and is going the same way so far (Zverev won 4 and 4).
Old 08-12-17, 09:03 PM   #329
DVD Talk Legend

Sad to see Denis go out.

Great tourney though. Future looks bright.

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 08-12-17, 09:28 PM   #330
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Sad to see Denis go out.

Great tourney though. Future looks bright.
Yup, every match I was expecting him to fade (normal after an upset) but he fought until the end.
Old 08-13-17, 11:43 AM   #331
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, a nice showing. Just watched the match now off the DVR back home since I was flying back last night.

On an unrelated note, it is nice to be back with the ESPN crew even if it includes Brad Gilbert. I could not take any more of Sharon Fichman on SportsNet. Seriously, that woman has no business being on television.
Old 08-13-17, 01:32 PM   #332
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with the ESPN crew is that they ran out of fresh things to say about tennis years ago. They've had the same people for years so you can almost predict their commentary.

One of the problems with tennis commentators is that it's a very small world of top pros that the tour cares about, so the players are treated with kid gloves. I always get the feeling that the tennis analysts are trying to sell the sport instead of being brutally honest. It's even worse on the women's side than the men's game, but both reflect a very sanitized discussion of real issues facing the sport.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 08-13-17, 02:01 PM   #333
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The problem with the ESPN crew is that they ran out of fresh things to say about tennis years ago. They've had the same people for years so you can almost predict their commentary.
Well, it is a tough sport to keep fresh through commentary. There are only two players on the field/court to talk about vs. dozens and, to be honest, tennis just really isn't an especially complex sport to begin with. Yet, excellent commentators like Jim Courier and Mary Carillo usually manage to do so. Getting rid of Brad Gilbert and, most especially, Chris Evert would help tremendously.

A big win for Svitolina today, who knocked off quite a list of top players this week.
Old 08-13-17, 02:37 PM   #334
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I could not take any more of Sharon Fichman on SportsNet. Seriously, that woman has no business being on television.
Yeah, she's terrible. I also can't stand Arash Madani, the guy who does the interviews. I guess Robert Bettauer (former player), who has been covering Canadian tennis for a long time, and Jesse Levine, were fine. Plus, I'm not sure why, but Rogers Sporstnet camera people seem to have a fetish for extreme close-ups. I don't really need to see skin pores and inside nostrils.
Old 08-13-17, 03:47 PM   #335
DVD Talk Hero

Zverev off to a strong start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Yeah, she's terrible. I also can't stand Arash Madani, the guy who does the interviews. I guess Robert Bettauer (former player), who has been covering Canadian tennis for a long time, and Jesse Levine, were fine.
It was hard to get a sense of Bettauer. I was too distracted by Fichman's general awfulness. I don't remember having any issue with the actual match commentary during what we watched. However, we mostly ended up watching the French coverage at night because of the limited channel selection in our hotel.
Old 08-13-17, 04:40 PM   #336
DVD Talk Hero

Congrats to Zverev, but Fed was terrible today.
Old 08-14-17, 11:13 AM   #337
DVD Talk Hero

I knew something was off. At some point, his serve speed dropped off considerably and his movement (especially to his right) just wasn't there.

Quote:
Roger Federer has withdrawn from the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati. The seven-time champion said on Monday that a back injury will force him to miss the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament this week.

“I am very sorry to pull out of the Western & Southern Open as I always enjoy playing here,” Federer said. “Cincinnati has some of the best fans in the world and I am sorry I will miss them. Unfortunately, I tweaked my back in Montreal and I need to rest this week.”

Federer fell in the Coupe Rogers final to Alexander Zverev, the first title match the Swiss has lost this season (5-1 record). His withdrawal guarantees Rafael Nadal will return to No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings when the new rankings are released on Monday 21 August. Nadal has spent 141 weeks at the top spot but hasn't been No. 1 since 6 July 2014.
Old 08-14-17, 11:40 AM   #338
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nadal,Zverev and Federer have little to defend points wise the rest of the year,should be interesting to see how this plays out in the race for #1. Though I can easily imagine Nadal and Federer decide to skip the rest of the year after the USO or play a very light schedule.
Old 08-14-17, 02:14 PM   #339
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Well, it is a tough sport to keep fresh through commentary. There are only two players on the field/court to talk about vs. dozens and, to be honest, tennis just really isn't an especially complex sport to begin with. Yet, excellent commentators like Jim Courier and Mary Carillo usually manage to do so. Getting rid of Brad Gilbert and, most especially, Chris Evert would help tremendously.

A big win for Svitolina today, who knocked off quite a list of top players this week.
Justin Gimelstob offers excellent insight into the men's game but you can tell his producers have reined him in since he first became a commentator. He's the most candid tennis announcer I've heard recently.

Gilbert was great when he still knew the tour and all its players, but has become more and more irrelevant since no one is left from his era of coaching.

Old 08-16-17, 12:49 PM   #340
DVD Talk Hero

Nishikori joins Djokovic and Wawrinka, all done for the year. Maybe taking long breaks is the new normal in order to achieve longevity in a sport that has become so physically demanding. I woudn't be surprised to see some rules changes on the horizon in terms of mandatory tournaments and exemptions.

Last edited by eXcentris; 08-16-17 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-16-17, 01:57 PM   #341
DVD Talk Legend

The US Open field has been decimated before it begins. Though Nishikori has had problems staying on the court before. I don't think his body has ever been able to handle the rigors of a top-5 tournament schedule. He might start thinking about skipping the clay court season or something.

The sport does seem to have cut down on the number of visible PED users. The game looks much cleaner now than it did ten years ago. Once baseball cracked down on amphetamines, most players stopped playing every game of the season. Since tennis players can't rely on PEDS as much these days, their body can't handle the grind of an entire season at the top levels.

Old 08-16-17, 02:01 PM   #342
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yup. Seeing anyone in the Top 10 play in 250 level tournaments will be rare soon. The days of playing every single week like McEnroe, Lendl, or Connors did are long over. Unless Fed does it (long shot I think), no one will sniff Connors' all time records for matches played, matches won, finals appearances and tournaments won.
Old 08-17-17, 01:27 AM   #343
DVD Talk Special Edition

In olden day's guys Wawrinka,Djokovic and even Nishikori's age would either be retired or on the tell end of their career's it makes sense their bodies are breaking on a tour that mostly is played on HC. I think due to the longetivity and winning Majors by Federer at 35 in the future you are gonna start seeing every guy over age 28-30ish in the top 20 is gonna play a lighter schedule.
Old 08-17-17, 11:25 AM   #344
DVD Talk Hero

A day late, but man Zverev was just GASSED at the end of that match, and I cannot blame him.
Old 08-17-17, 12:25 PM   #345
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
A day late, but man Zverev was just GASSED at the end of that match, and I cannot blame him.
He said he was tired after Montreal. Again, he's still not strong enough to do this week after week. And I don't see him as a contender at slams yet, despite the field being somewhat diminished.
Old 08-18-17, 07:41 AM   #346
DVD Talk Hero

He has played something like 23 matches and won two tournaments plus all the associated travel and training etc. that goes along with all of that, in the last 60 days or something like that. Still pretty impressive.
Old 08-18-17, 10:03 PM   #347
DVD Talk Hero

An unexpected but richly deserved win over Nadal by Kyrgios. The man served out of his mind and managed to win at least someone long rallies off of the ground as well.

This loss by Nadal also brings to an end a fairly remarkable streak. This will be the first Masters 1000 event since the 2012 Paris Indoors without at least one of the "Big Four" in the final.
Old 08-19-17, 03:18 PM   #348
DVD Talk Hero

And now a first ever Masters 1000 final for Grigor. The second set breaker was excellent.
Old 08-19-17, 08:26 PM   #349
DVD Talk Hero

Kyrgios gets through, thankfully. As much as I admire Ferrer, watching him is boring.

Two intriguing finals from Cincy tomorrow. Halep vs. Mugu, both playing well, and Grigor vs. Kyrgios, both seeking the biggest tournament win of their respective careers.
Old 08-19-17, 08:27 PM   #350
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Gilbert was great when he still knew the tour and all its players, but has become more and more irrelevant since no one is left from his era of coaching.
I was reminded of something today that I noticed before. When Gilbert is working with Darren Cahill, he's not too bad at all. He doesn't even try to pretend to be the smartest guy in the room when Killer is there.