Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Looks like a distorted Dodger logo.
Old 01-12-17, 03:40 PM   #77
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damfino View Post
Not that I know of. It never made sense to me either especially since the Raiders built a huge fan base during their LA years. I know because I was there at the time.

If nothing else, the Chargers made the Raiders move to Las Vegas easier to justify.
Yup. Right after that, Mark Davis flew to Vegas. He knew that there was no way that the Chargers would pass on the opportunity to move into the L.A. market as a tenant unless the city of San Diego would build him a stadium with their money (which was NEVER going to happen).

My one guess is that in the back-room dealings, Kronke -- who never wanted to share the market or the stadium at all -- told the board that if he had to share the market, he wanted it to be with the Chargers instead of the Raiders (who would have been much more popular and a much bigger threat to the Rams' appeal in L.A.).

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 01-12-17, 03:48 PM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Well he probably won't be taking Cousins with him given that Goff is there.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 01-12-17, 03:48 PM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

I hate to lose McVey in DC but this may mean that we let Cousins walk, which I have no problems with.

Old 01-12-17, 03:56 PM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

Hideous new logo :

edit : Stan beat me to it. Sorry for the repost

Last edited by Decker; 01-12-17 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 03:57 PM   #81
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yup. Right after that, Mark Davis flew to Vegas. He knew that there was no way that the Chargers would pass on the opportunity to move into the L.A. market as a tenant unless the city of San Diego would build him a stadium with their money (which was NEVER going to happen).

My one guess is that in the back-room dealings, Kronke -- who never wanted to share the market or the stadium at all -- told the board that if he had to share the market, he wanted it to be with the Chargers instead of the Raiders (who would have been much more popular and a much bigger threat to the Rams' appeal in L.A.).
Interesting theory. Makes sense to me.
Old 01-12-17, 04:04 PM   #82
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like the guy who designed the new LA Clippers logo got another job after all.
Old 01-12-17, 04:15 PM   #83
DVD Talk God

Sorry, SD. It was inevitable. There was no way that stadium bill was going to pass.

Sorry to see McVay go although if it means less fade passes down close, that's a positive. Guess the Skins are looking for 2 coordinators now.

Sounds like McVay wants Wade Phillips to be his DC. Can't go wrong there.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 01-12-17, 04:17 PM   #84
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
It's ridiculous to act like the areas that have their money help build stadiums don't benefit from the stadium after it's built. It's that kind of willful ignorance that resulted this area losing the Sonics.
The economic benefits are so overstated by the leagues/teams pushing for these handouts. Particularly for a football stadium with so few dates. The money people spent on the Chargers in SD will now just shift to some other forms of entertainment in the city.

The Sonics would be a different deal since an arena can be used for so much more than the NBA home games.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-12-17, 04:19 PM   #85
DVD Talk Legend

It look like the Chargers Bolted Up to LA
And that logo
Old 01-12-17, 05:11 PM   #86
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fact is, Chargers have had a shit owner for far too long that looked at the team as strictly business and have no real interest in building a championship team. It's always been about Spanos and how much he can fill his pockets.
The bill didnt get enough votes and that's not fans fault. A 'sliver' of the entire city of San Diego got to vote on it. Maybe there were enough votes had everyone got to vote, but they couldn't.
The NFL was ready to hand the team $300mil and Spanos wanted the city to pay the rest. Yet here he is paying nearly $650mil to move ... real genius business move That there is damn near the amount needed to build a new stadium.

I've said several times, it would not surprise me if Spanos sells the team after hitting LA. That is if the team worth actually goes up like he thinks it will.
I for one hope this all fails. Unfortunately there are some really good guys and talent on that team and they had to even find out via Twitter that their owner set sail. What a douche bag.
Old 01-12-17, 05:20 PM   #87
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
Fact is, Chargers have had a shit owner for far too long that looked at the team as strictly business and have no real interest in building a championship team. It's always been about Spanos and how much he can fill his pockets.
In the above statement, you could replace "Chargers" with "Rams" and "Spanos" with "Kroenke" seamlessly. Congrats LA - you got two of the worst owners in the sport!
Old 01-12-17, 05:20 PM   #88
DVD Talk God

Quote:
The bill didnt get enough votes and that's not fans fault. A 'sliver' of the entire city of San Diego got to vote on it. Maybe there were enough votes had everyone got to vote, but they couldn't.
The NFL was ready to hand the team $300mil and Spanos wanted the city to pay the rest. Yet here he is paying nearly $650mil to move ... real genius business move That there is damn near the amount needed to build a new stadium.

I've said several times, it would not surprise me if Spanos sells the team after hitting LA. That is if the team worth actually goes up like he thinks it will.
I for one hope this all fails. Unfortunately there are some really good guys and talent on that team and they had to even find out via Twitter that their owner set sail. What a douche bag.
His father is still technically the owner, right? Dean is the CEO.

He won't sell until his father dies and it's passed down to him and other family members, probably counting on the estate tax to be repealed by the GOP/Trump. I mean if a team like the Clippers went for $2B a few years ago, a LA NFL team should easily eclipse that in franchise value.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-12-17, 05:26 PM   #89
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I personally hate the move (even if it makes it much more likely that the Raiders relocate to my neck of the woods), but the economics of the decision aren't so cut and dry.

Here's a good article where local economists debate if the move makes good financial sense
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...n22-story.html

There was another article I read a few days ago in ESPN (I think) that really laid out how it made more financial sense to relocate than stay where they are. Seriously, I can't believe that they can sell PSLs in a stadium where they are a rent-paying tenant. But that's what is happening (assuming they can find some suckers who are willing to pay for them).

Old 01-12-17, 05:27 PM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Sorry, SD. It was inevitable. There was no way that stadium bill was going to pass.

Sorry to see McVay go although if it means less fade passes down close, that's a positive. Guess the Skins are looking for 2 coordinators now.

Sounds like McVay wants Wade Phillips to be his DC. Can't go wrong there.
I would prefer Gus Bradley over Phillips.

And for OC, give me Mike McCoy.

Old 01-12-17, 05:29 PM   #91
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe he is majority owner, but the dude is 93 years old and it wouldn't surprise me if Dean has some loophole somewhere that says he can do whatever he wants with the team.
His father would never have left San Diego.

REALLY good article here
Chargers' Move to LA Just the Latest Example of How Greed Wins in the NFL
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
Quote:
In a text message to Bleacher Report, one owner described how Chargers owner Dean Spanos, as first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter, told NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and other owners about his intention to move.

This owner, like others, told me he was stunned Spanos was making this announcement before apparently telling his team or the city.
Quote:
Informing other owners and Goodell before telling his own team was a massive PR blunder by Spanos. It's also not unusual for an organization as poorly run as the Chargers.

Last edited by VHS?; 01-12-17 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 05:40 PM   #92
DVD Talk Hero

Does it really, in the scope of things, make any difference? If he notified the team and the city before the NFL, it might have looked a little bit better PR-wise, but the end result is the same. And it's not like anyone wasn't expecting this. They've had a year to process it and everyone saw this day coming and coming up fast.

Old 01-12-17, 05:45 PM   #93
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It does matter. How does it not? It's called integrity to your team and the fans that supported you even during ALL the losing seasons. But it just simply shows he gives 2-shits about any thing or any one. As long as his pockets are full of cash.
It spills over to your 'new home'
Old 01-12-17, 05:53 PM   #94
DVD Talk God

Quote:
It does matter. How does it not? It's called integrity to your team and the fans that supported you even during ALL the losing seasons. But it just simply shows he gives 2-shits about any thing or any one. As long as his pockets are full of cash.
It spills over to your 'new home'
Indy fans didn't give 2 shits about Irsay packing up Mayflower vans in the middle of the night and high-tailing it out of Baltimore. The sleaziest move ever. They were elated to get a team. So the spoilage for the new home doesn't hold water. Now I think there were misgivings from Baltimore fans about how Baltimore got the Browns. But those misgivings wore off very quickly.

I'm with Decker on this. The real question is will LA fans give 2 shits about the Chargers. Outside of the Lakers and Dodgers, it's a fickle front-running sports town. But that really matters less to the bottom line -- franchise value.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-12-17, 07:42 PM   #95
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a Chargers fan with no ties to San Diego, this doesn't really affect me, though obviously it sucks for SD residents.

Maybe a change of scenery will do them good.

Not really a fan of that logo, though.
Old 01-12-17, 07:53 PM   #96
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The way I see it, LA people will see how he left and it puts a bad taste in who the guy is. I'm sure they already know but all over already, LA is not welcoming the Chargers. It's being printed and text all over.
San Diego fans were with them even when they lost. They would show up at Chargers park after a road trip even when they lost. It'd a slap in the face to those fans. This is like a breakup via text. Fact, that's exactly how the spineless coward did it. Even players found out via Twitter. How shitty is that.
Old 01-12-17, 07:55 PM   #97
DVD Talk Hero

LA Chargers just hired Bills OC Anthony Lynn as head coach

And there is only 1 job left
Old 01-12-17, 07:58 PM   #98
DVD Talk Godfather

Doesn't matter to me I think it just adds more fuel to the fire of angry San Diego folks, the same way St. Louis people latched on to every negative article about Kroenke and the Rams out of anger.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 01-12-17, 08:03 PM   #99
DVD Talk God

Quote:
The way I see it, LA people will see how he left and it puts a bad taste in who the guy is. I'm sure they already know but all over already, LA is not welcoming the Chargers. It's being printed and text all over.
San Diego fans were with them even when they lost. They would show up at Chargers park after a road trip even when they lost. It'd a slap in the face to those fans. This is like a breakup via text. Fact, that's exactly how the spineless coward did it. Even players found out via Twitter. How shitty is that.
If it was a break-up via text then it came well after the boyfriend says....think I got something better lined up (obviously more attractive) but I'll mull on it a little (maybe if you get hotter), get back to you. Everyone knew this was coming. Once the stadium bill didn't pass, he was good as gone.

It's not like the Colts or Browns moves which came out of nowhere. It's not even like the Rams move since the league basically said "here's the deal to move" to the Chargers and put an expiration date on the deal.

So if it's like a text breakup, it could be a lot worse. And still not make a damn bit of difference.

And if it was "in person" (whatever that equates to) you still would say he's an asshole, shitty, etc. As you should.

And LA people won't give a shit about this. What do they give a shit about?
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-12-17 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-12-17, 08:20 PM   #100
DVD Talk Hero

That's just a temporary logo I heard.