DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Old 01-12-17, 09:33 AM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

USAToday reporting the Chargers will play 2 years at Stub Hub Center:
Linky: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...laxy/96479520/

Quote:
SAN DIEGO – As part of their relocation plan for Los Angeles, the San Diego Chargers have an agreement to play at the StubHub Center in nearby Carson for the next two seasons before moving into their permanent new home in Inglewood with the Los Angeles Rams, a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports late Wednesday.

The person requested anonymity because the plans have not been announced publicly. Chargers owner Dean Spanos notified NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and some other NFL owners Wednesday of his intention to leave San Diego for the L.A. market.

The new $2.6 billion stadium in Inglewood is not scheduled to open until 2019. To avoid staying in San Diego as a lame duck in the meantime, the team instead would move to the L.A. market immediately and start building its fan base there.

The StubHub Center, which serves as the home for Major League Soccer's LA Galaxy, would by far be the smallest venue in the NFL, with just a 30,000-seat capacity – about half the size of a normal NFL stadium. But that offers spectators a unique, up-close experience that would differentiate the Chargers from the Rams, who are temporarily playing in the much older and more expansive L.A. Coliseum.

The Chargers also had been in contact with Coliseum officials about playing there the next two seasons instead. But that would have required the Coliseum’s lease to be amended to accommodate a second NFL tenant.
Old 01-12-17, 09:41 AM   #53
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Rams and Chargers should just share StubHub Center for the long term. 30,000 seems about right.

But seriously, the SD really blew it by letting them go. Ranks right up there Seattle losing the Sonics.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 01-12-17 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 09:51 AM   #54
DVD Talk Godfather

On the other hand, I'd probably go to a game at the StubHub center since its a little closer to me.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 01-12-17, 09:56 AM   #55
DVD Talk Hero

Seriously, the Chargers should move to Oklahoma City and rename themselves the Lightning.

It's a perfect fit. They won't have to change a thing.
Old 01-12-17, 09:57 AM   #56
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
On the other hand, I'd probably go to a game at the StubHub center since its a little closer to me.
Every seat will be close to the field.
Old 01-12-17, 10:43 AM   #57
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, the Chargers have already changed their Facebook and Twitter page name to the Los Angeles Chargers. Here's what Spanos had to say about the move.

Spoiler:
Old 01-12-17, 10:48 AM   #58
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Sure. So then get the billionaire owners to cough up the dough to build one. Fuck any owner who thinks they are entitled to use public money to fund a stadium. As much as it sucks for SD to lose the team, I have mad respect for their government for refusing to bend over and spend public money on a stadium for the team.
There are only 32 teams. San Diego does not support their teams like they should. Padres included. To keep a team you need to pay for stadiums. That's the deal.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 01-12-17, 11:00 AM   #59
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
There are only 32 teams. San Diego does not support their teams like they should. Padres included. To keep a team you need to pay for stadiums. That's the deal.
Ok so if the town/fans don't support the team, why the fuck should they spend money on a stadium? You can't have it both ways. I will always respect any city that stands up to billionaires wanting free handouts.

Also if nobody supports the Padres, how did they get a publicly funded stadium?
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 01-12-17, 11:02 AM   #60
DVD Talk Godfather

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 01-12-17, 11:12 AM   #61
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe the Chargers can merge w/ the Rams and form one team that can win eight games.
Old 01-12-17, 11:35 AM   #62
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's ridiculous to act like the areas that have their money help build stadiums don't benefit from the stadium after it's built. It's that kind of willful ignorance that resulted this area losing the Sonics.
Old 01-12-17, 11:39 AM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Ok so if the town/fans don't support the team, why the fuck should they spend money on a stadium? You can't have it both ways. I will always respect any city that stands up to billionaires wanting free handouts.

Also if nobody supports the Padres, how did they get a publicly funded stadium?
Why the fuck does it work both ways? It absolutely doesn't, nor does it have to. There are only 32 teams. It's not a two way street. You either pay or your don't. There's no equality. That's a pipe dream.

You can have all the respect you want for SD. And they can choose not to pay for a stadium. And now they don't have an NFL team.

The Padres only recently even got up to the middle of the pack in attendance. They were typically around 20th. The Padres paid only 1/3 of the costs for the stadium. And - uh oh - the Chargers proposed the same and then wanted the public to finance the rest and be repaid by hotel taxes (most likely not even to be incurred by SD residents!)

San Diego will never have pro football again and maybe that's what they want but it's what they deserve.

Old 01-12-17, 11:40 AM   #64
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
It's ridiculous to act like the areas that have their money help build stadiums don't benefit from the stadium after it's built. It's that kind of willful ignorance that resulted this area losing the Sonics.
And in the case of Petco, studies have shown that there has been a 1.8B benefit to the area since the stadium opened. So you are absolutely correct.

Old 01-12-17, 11:40 AM   #65
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a. View Post
maybe the chargers can merge w/ the rams and form one team that can win eight games.
lol!
Old 01-12-17, 12:05 PM   #66
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
And in the case of Petco, studies have shown that there has been a 1.8B benefit to the area since the stadium opened. So you are absolutely correct.
Unless there is an exception I'm not familiar with, it's pretty much always true. Just a matter of how much of a benefit each year. And certainly the places that have lost teams like Seattle have data (including multiple closed businesses) that show just how much is lost on the flip side.
Old 01-12-17, 12:29 PM   #67
DVD Talk God

The reason SD had been middle of the pack in attendance is because they have been awful since the 90's. People won't pay to see shitty teams. People aren't showing up or not showing up, in the case of the Padres, because of their stadium.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

Old 01-12-17, 12:43 PM   #68
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since 1990 the Chargers won the AFC West 7 times and made the playoffs 9 times. There are teams in the NFL that would die to be to that kind of awful.
Old 01-12-17, 12:44 PM   #69
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I still remember the jackass city council member who said that sports teams offer "close to zero" cultural value to a city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Seriously, the Chargers should move to Oklahoma City and rename themselves the Lightning.

It's a perfect fit. They won't have to change a thing.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 01-12-17, 01:42 PM   #70
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
The reason SD had been middle of the pack in attendance is because they have been awful since the 90's. People won't pay to see shitty teams. People aren't showing up or not showing up, in the case of the Padres, because of their stadium.
This. Rams started losing attendance once the magic of having a team wore off and people saw their shitty record. So now another shitty team is going to join in the mix? At this point, they'll have to give away tickets like the Sparks do just to fill some seats. LA has the most fair weathered fans. The only losing team to draw attendance has been the Lakers.
Old 01-12-17, 01:57 PM   #71
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Since 1990 the Chargers won the AFC West 7 times and made the playoffs 9 times. There are teams in the NFL that would die to be to that kind of awful.
Padres, not Chargers. He was referencing the Padres attendance, which I was addressing as to why they don't draw more.

Old 01-12-17, 01:59 PM   #72
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does exaggerating the number of Charger losses make SD fans feel better or something? Since 2006 they have only had 3 seasons with a losing record. It hasn't even been that long since they were in the playoffs and considered a contender.
Old 01-12-17, 03:15 PM   #73
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
This. Rams started losing attendance once the magic of having a team wore off and people saw their shitty record. So now another shitty team is going to join in the mix? At this point, they'll have to give away tickets like the Sparks do just to fill some seats. LA has the most fair weathered fans. The only losing team to draw attendance has been the Lakers.
It's been a while since they've been bad, but the Dodgers do as well.

I think even if they get to be pretty good, the Chargers will have trouble building a large fan base in Los Angeles. They're not L.A.'s team. It's like if the Nets had moved from NJ to MSG co-tenants. Even if they were better, they don't have the local fan base at all.

I know what the agreement was (and that's why, BTW, the Chargers had to move now rather than waiting a year or so to see about maybe a new SD stadium deal), but I keep wondering why the Chargers were given right of first refusal to the L.A. market in Kronkeland Stadium over the Raiders. Did the NFL ever explain their logic?

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 01-12-17, 03:19 PM   #74
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-12-17, 03:35 PM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
but I keep wondering why the Chargers were given right of first refusal to the L.A. market in Kronkeland Stadium over the Raiders. Did the NFL ever explain their logic?
Not that I know of. It never made sense to me either especially since the Raiders built a huge fan base during their LA years. I know because I was there at the time.

If nothing else, the Chargers made the Raiders move to Las Vegas easier to justify.