Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2017 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Old 04-12-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2017 Pro Wrestling Thread.

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
Seems that way. Miz and Maryse were deliberately promoted together with their move to raw while Ruzev and Lana had distinctively separate promos on SDL yesterday.
I noticed they seemed to be promoting Lana as a solo character as well (didn't see the Rusev spot). I wonder if they will work a way for her to speak with her regular voice ? I was at Mania and they aired a Total Divas spot that clearly showed Lana speaking perfect english. I honestly don't see what point that aspect of the character serves at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if VKM is hoping that if he drives enough of a wedge between them they will divorce.

I take it Ambrose's move to Raw means that he and Renee Young are now separated ?
Old 04-12-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post

I take it Ambrose's move to Raw means that he and Renee Young are now separated ?
Separated in relationship terms? They actually just got married.

Separated in terms of brands? Sure, but I don't imagine Renee is on the road full time anyway. She works one day a week, so if she wanted to travel with Ambrose the rest of the time, there's really nothing stopping her. Actually, there's nothing stopping them from being together full time if they want to, Raw doesn't do Tuesday night house shows.

In other words, their schedules really won't be any different than they are now, except that Dean won't be required to hang around on Tuesday for Smackdown tapings.

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 04-12-17 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-13-17, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
It's not that the cruiserweight division doesn't work, it's that they don't promote it right. How often do they let the guys talk or build feuds? I was pleasantly surprised when they tried to do both with Neville/Aries/Perkins last night until I realized it was just to hotshot a Perkins heel change. You have to give the fans something to cheer for and boo. Aries and Neville should bring the house down but they've failed to make the crowd care about either one. I say put the entire division in Full Sail and film like NXT every few weeks and see what kind of reaction these guys get with HHH booking.
I mean, putting on the CW TItle match to open the WM preshow didn't help matters at all...

Why does Vince want to kill Smackdown?
AJ Styles and Cena are still on SD, so not quite yet lol.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I do agree with your comments about the women's division though. It sucks to see them work all year just so that everyone from the division can be crammed into one WrestleMania match.
ONE match? I mean, the SD Women got two matches (technically since Maryse and Bella did fight) and Raw got a match, so the division really got 3 matches. Plus, on Raw, outside of who fought on the Mania show, what other women wrestlers are there? The women got more matches than the tag team division total.
Old 04-13-17, 07:49 AM

The women should have been treated like the cruiserweights where one show got the entire division. Being on both brands spread it too thin so we're just getting the same matches over and over.
Old 04-13-17, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They had to get Charlotte away from Banks. They work well together but Sasha is just too small. She'll work better with Bliss I think and we know she works well with Bailey.
Old 04-13-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Keith6601 View Post
The women should have been treated like the cruiserweights where one show got the entire division. Being on both brands spread it too thin so we're just getting the same matches over and over.
I understand what you're saying and sometimes feel the same way about the tag division. But separating them allows them to give a spotlight to basically double the talent, and then mix it up every once in a while with a brand switch or call up. Otherwise you'd get a lot of the midcard just lost in the shuffle because it's not like they would devote double the time to them on one show.
Old 04-13-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Keith6601 View Post
I'd be down for that. After a year of Charlotte Vs. Sasha we are basically in for a year of variations of Alexa / Nia Vs. Bailey / Sasha.
Old 04-13-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I noticed they seemed to be promoting Lana as a solo character as well (didn't see the Rusev spot). I wonder if they will work a way for her to speak with her regular voice ? I was at Mania and they aired a Total Divas spot that clearly showed Lana speaking perfect english. I honestly don't see what point that aspect of the character serves at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if VKM is hoping that if he drives enough of a wedge between them they will divorce.

Lana is going to wrestle on Smackdown while Rusev recovers from shoulder surgery that will keep him out for 4-6 months. They are married and still together, but it seems that Vince wants Lana to work while Rusev is on the sidelines.
Old 04-13-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Vince wants Lana to work while Rusev is on the sidelines.
As well he should.
Old 04-13-17, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The question is, who's the first person to get a pinfall loss from Lana?
Old 04-13-17, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Derrich View Post
The question is, who's the first person to get a pinfall loss from Lana?
ASUKA,if dunn and vince had their way
Old 04-14-17, 04:20 AM

10,000 ideas about wrestling. None of them together matter. Should I Just wait until the next wrestlrmania? What's the point? We see through the product, then why buy into it? The best modern wrestlers are not showcased in the highest profile matches, no one is allowed to profile and promote themselves, , Stars are asked to gives themselves up for fame, but whose to say that fame now = more than what it would be if their fame was organic. Austin, rock, mankind. Once in a generation, yes. But this is the next generation...cena sucks...lets seee hat happens. You listening hHh or Vince?
Old 04-14-17, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those days are long gone. WWE is a huge corporation now. They dont owe the fans anything just keeping the stockholders happy is all that counts. They do just enough to keep fans coming back and the money flowing. There is no creativity.
Old 04-14-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

lol,

-- Well, if you need a good laugh heading into your weekend, here it is...a fan has started an online petition to fire Braun Strowman for his "brutal attack" on Roman Reigns on Monday's Raw. The petition calls for WWE to fire Strowman effective immediately and to date, has over 2500 signatures.

To the WWE we the WWE Universe are not please with Strowman's Actions tonight on Raw following his brutal attack on Roman Reigns. Me and a lot of the WWE Universe Want Strowman Fired effective immediately he crossed the line tonight following the attack on Roman and now Roman is in the hospital with injuries. If this is what you call Entertainment YOU Failed Miserably. I don't care if he goes to SD Live We want him OFF of Raw or Fired from the WWE. I have been a fan of Raw for years and out of everything that I have seen happen this was by far the absolute Worst.

-- For anyone out there who needs assurance, Roman Reigns got out of the ambulance before it was tipped over (you can actually see his shadow as he escapes) and he was also not on the stretcher that was pushed over the ledge. It was some nifty camera work in play.

And I have to say, after watching that segment, I love Strowman.

Last edited by Deadman31; 04-14-17 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-14-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know internet wrestling fans are like impossible to please, and I won't deny that just the sheer number of hours they have to fill means there's a lot of fatigue, but you can't tell me they're not doing things for the fans. Kevin fricking Steen and El Generico, Tyler Black, AJ Styles, Prince Devitt, Nakamura, and others are all being pushed into the spotlight. You can argue (and be right) that the part timers headlining Wrestlemania is like a slap in the face, but it's not like this era is worse than any other in that respect, and they haven't pulled a "Cesaro" depush on any of these guys, so it does seem like the times are changing.

And here's Strowman's response to the petition:

Old 04-16-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So is the plan to have Reigns pull a Hulk Hogan where he comes back and defeats the unstoppable monster that sent him to the hospital? That would work if A)it were still the 1980s, and B) Reigns hadn't already defeated Strowman in a past feud.
Old 04-17-17, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So, instead of falling asleep listening to the Reigns talk...is anybody actually watching NXT? Drew McIntyre looked damn impressive in his first match(of course he went against Oney Lorcan who makes just about anybody look good). And holy heck, in a matter of two minutes...we might have a credible strong man in the form of Dylan Miley (that big dude who was in there with DIY). It's too soon to tell, but we might have a star in the making.

Also looking forward to the Eric Young and Dillinger match in a steel cage this week. Hopefully the less shenanigans the better.

Last edited by Kedrix; 04-17-17 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Yonggggg
Old 04-17-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

McIntyre looked really good but I was a fan last time around before he got put into 3MB. I wonder if they're going the same route with Miley as they did with Jordan?

I think NXT has a ways to go to get back to where they were with Joe and Balor but I like the seeds they're planting.
Old 04-17-17, 11:09 AM

McIntyre looked really good but I was a fan last time around before he got put into 3MB. I wonder if they're going the same route with Miley as they did with Jordan?

I think NXT has a ways to go to get back to where they were with Joe and Balor but I like the seeds they're planting.
As long as they don't stick Miley with a tag team partner, they could very well do that. I could see Miley getting a talking piece, like a manager, but sticking him in a tag team long term (they can do short term where he beats the crap out of his tag team partner, see previous week) like they did with Jordan would be a mistake.

I agree with your second part, but the idea of McIntyre against Roode is a very interesting prospect. And maybe I'm in the minority, but I almost feel like NXT needs a second singles title.

Whether they just call it a TV title, or something else...I think it could work since they have a lot of people like No Way Jose, Ohno, Eric Young, who seem to be worthy of a title feud but not quite up to Roode or McIntyre's level.
Old 04-17-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

McIntyre was getting a huge push before that incident with his now ex-wife. Watch them put him back in 3MB though, the ultimate slap in the face.

I'm kinda surprised they haven't signed Magnus since his wife is there. I wonder how much impact/GFW is paying him.
Old 04-17-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So is the plan to have Reigns pull a Hulk Hogan where he comes back and defeats the unstoppable monster that sent him to the hospital? That would work if A)it were still the 1980s, and B) Reigns hadn't already defeated Strowman in a past feud.
If house shows are an indication (and admittedly, they're not always) that's exactly what's going to happen.

Originally Posted by Kedrix View Post
So, instead of falling asleep listening to the Reigns talk...is anybody actually watching NXT? Drew McIntyre looked damn impressive in his first match(of course he went against Oney Lorcan who makes just about anybody look good). And holy heck, in a matter of two minutes...we might have a credible strong man in the form of Dylan Miley (that big dude who was in there with DIY). It's too soon to tell, but we might have a star in the making.

Also looking forward to the Eric Yong and Dillinger match in a steel cage this week. Hopefully the less shenanigans the better.
Since I have a couple of weeks left of the Network, I caught the NXT show. And I agree ... there are some good signs for the future.

At 31, Drew McIntyre still has a lot of years in his career. Just some bad circumstances derailed his earlier run. He got all the tools to be a top guy (or at least mid-level championship contender on the main roster).

Miley got my attention as well I remember seeing photos of him from a couple of years ago (he signed at the same time as Strowman) and he had a look that jumped out at me. For his look he has a surprisingly mannered voice. I'm interested in what they'll do with him.

Aleister Black intrigues me as well. Reminds me a bit of CM Punk (in looks and in-ring style), but scarier. Evidently the gimmick has a basis in real-life ... he really is a practicing Satanist.

The women's division is set up to be strong again (at least after they stop with Asuka killing everybody). Ruby Riot and Kimber Lee, added to Nikki Cross, Ember Moon (who they finally gave some personality to), Liv, Peyton Royce and Billie Kay, Alijah. And they might be ready to give Mandy and Daria from the last Tough Enough roles to play.

They will be Sanity shenanigans for sure in the cage match. But I'm confident Tye will overcome it (probably with some help) and leave NXT on a high note.
Old 04-17-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope they have Tye go out on his back. Not that I dislike him but if they're building Sanity to be anything they can't take a clean loss to Dillinger.
Old 04-17-17, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder how big a deal that actually is, though, with an NXT audience that consists of basically all marks anyway.
Old 04-17-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope they have Tye go out on his back. Not that I dislike him but if they're building Sanity to be anything they can't take a clean loss to Dillinger.
Sanity got plenty of clean wins in this feud so far. They can handle giving one win back to Tye. Especially seeing he's promoted to the main roster. It would give the impression he's stepped up his game and is ready for the stronger competition at the next level.
Old 04-17-17, 03:21 PM

I would agree if Sanity hadn't pretty much won every single match in the feud. I know the normal thing is for them to lose on their way out but this is a different case since that's all Tye has done in this feud.

If you look at Tye overall in NXT...he's always lost the big ones. So it would almost seem fitting that in this one freaking case, he should be the one going over.

Then again, I admit I'm biased since I was the one at the Rumble in San Antonio screaming my freaking head off when he was announced as #10 in the Rumble (or at least it felt like it)....lol. But I digress...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.