DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 01-14-17, 12:48 PM   #76
DVD Talk God

Re: College Hoops, 2016-17 (through the Conference Tourneys)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Duke/Louisville at the under 8 timeout and neither team has even hit the 20 pt mark
Cards had 12 in the first 12 min. 17 in the last 4 min.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 01-14-17, 04:26 PM   #77
DVD Talk Hero

Kansas wins at home, after trailing the entire first half.
They'll be ranked #1 on Monday, then will promptly lose to Iowa State in Aimes that night.

If Josh Jackson could hit his free throws, he would be a monster of college hoops this year. Mason and Graham were their workman-like selves in the second half.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 01-14-17, 06:31 PM   #78
DVD Talk God

Baylor responded well after the beat down at WVU, crushing KSU on the road.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-14-17, 08:17 PM   #79
DVD Talk God

Terps sweep Illinois. Need wins. Pile them up because the B1G is weak
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-15-17, 11:16 AM   #80
DVD Talk God

Zags destroyed SMC last night. Still undefeated.

They have February games at BYU and at SMC.

They are #3 in KenPom. They are set up very well to be a 1 seed.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-17-17, 12:54 AM   #81
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Kansas wins at home, after trailing the entire first half.
They'll be ranked #1 on Monday, then will promptly lose to Iowa State in Ames that night.
Wow, you normally have to go to Political Forum to find one of my predictions that incorrect. Not ranked #1, and somehow survived a game in Ames. I had visions of Nevada-New Mexico in that final minute as the Cyclones trimmed a 9-point deficit down to 3. Back-to-Back 3s combined with missing the frond end of consecutive 1&1s will do that. Anyway, they have a few days off now for Frank Mason III to heal up. I think he's a First Team All-American this year.

Congrats to Ol' Roy for reaching 800 wins faster than any coach besides Adolph Rupp. I fondly remember about 300 of those Ws. I heard him thank his players, but I hope he also thanked the UNC teacher aides and pushover African American Studies professors who made so many of those victories possible.
Old 01-17-17, 10:20 PM   #82
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Congrats to Ol' Roy for reaching 800 wins faster than any coach besides Adolph Rupp. I fondly remember about 300 of those Ws. I heard him thank his players, but I hope he also thanked the UNC teacher aides and pushover African American Studies professors who made so many of those victories possible.
Decker I know you don't really care for me because I do bag on KU basketball some and you know the reason but...KU has African American studies as well do you really think it's much different?

http://afs.ku.edu/our-academic-programs
Old 01-17-17, 10:42 PM   #83
DVD Talk Hero

I like you plenty Barth. I always chuckle at your posts, eager to see why you think the Jayhawks are overrated or mirages this season.
My comments about African American Studies were only in reference to the continuing academic fraud scandals going on at UNC (which, to be fair, involve the football team and not yet the basketball team) . There's a big expose about it in a Real Sports program from a couple of years ago. I'll find a link and share it when I get home.
Old 01-17-17, 11:43 PM   #84
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
I like you plenty Barth. I always chuckle at your posts, eager to see why you think the Jayhawks are overrated or mirages this season.
My comments about African American Studies were only in reference to the continuing academic fraud scandals going on at UNC (which, to be fair, involve the football team and not yet the basketball team) . There's a big expose about it in a Real Sports program from a couple of years ago. I'll find a link and share it when I get home.
Ha! I follow you in the video game talk forum too. You're a good dude. I just like to scuffle a bit.

Old 01-18-17, 12:45 AM   #85
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, here's a bit on UNC academic fraud :

And Barth, I feel for you being a KU-loather living with crazed fans in a KU-obsessed town. I assume I'll be feeling the same way in a few years as a Chiefs fan once the Raiders move to my town.

Old 01-19-17, 09:10 PM   #86
DVD Talk God

Another grind out close win for the Terps. I'll take any road win where you commit 20+ turnovers and give up so many put back offensive rebounds. Always good to beat a-hole Fran.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-21-17, 01:42 PM   #87
DVD Talk God

Love watching Nova play. Move the ball so well. Have smoked the Friars this half so far....they have a next gear. Having Josh Hart helps.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-21-17, 01:59 PM   #88
DVD Talk God

Great to see Vandy win. Bucknell beat them.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-21-17, 04:03 PM   #89
DVD Talk God

Bucknell...nice 2nd half rally after down 7 at the half to Boston U. Now have a 2 game lead in the Patriot.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-21-17, 04:23 PM   #90
DVD Talk God

Nice week for FSU.

Really nice run for them. Beating a bunch of good teams. This is a year I miss the ACC as a Maryland fan. It's wide open. Though enjoying the B1G too. Even more wide open.
- Josh Hinkle

Last edited by Red Dog; 01-21-17 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-21-17, 04:35 PM   #91
DVD Talk God

Creighton might free fall after losing Mo Watson.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-21-17, 05:54 PM   #92
DVD Talk Hero

Kansas cruises to a relatively easy win at home against Texas. Now the real season begins thanks to their back-loaded schedule. Next three games are at Morgantown vs #7 WVU, at Rupp Arena vs #5 Kentucky and then hosting #6 Baylor. Ouch. We'll know how good they really are before Super Bowl weekend.

BTW : How is Shaka Smart's Texas team 1-6 in Conference? Can't believe a coach as brilliant as Shaka couldn't get more out of his team this season. They were really good last year and didn't lose a cornerstone of talent the way OU and Iowa State did.

Old 01-21-17, 06:02 PM   #93
DVD Talk God

No doubt UCLA can score but their D is awful. Ripe for a R32 loss.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-21-17, 06:07 PM   #94
DVD Talk God

Huge win for Indiana. Sparty in trouble. Host Purdue on Tuesday. That's close to must-win.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-21-17, 06:35 PM   #95
DVD Talk God

Great D by Wisky at the end.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 01-21-17, 08:45 PM   #96
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
And Barth, I feel for you being a KU-loather living with crazed fans in a KU-obsessed town. I assume I'll be feeling the same way in a few years as a Chiefs fan once the Raiders move to my town.
Linky: http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story...simmons/020227

Quote:
Rules for being a True Fan

Loyalties

18. If you live in a city that has fielded a professional team since your formative years, you have to root for that team. None of this, "The Bengals weren't very good when I was growing up in Cincy, so I became a Cowboys fan" crap.

Also, you can't start rooting for a team, back off when they're in a down cycle, then renew the relationship once the team starts winning again. All those Cowboys fans who jumped off the bandwagon in the late-'80s, jumped back on during the Emmitt/Aikman Era, then jumped back off in the late-'90s ... you know who you are. You shouldn't even be allowed out in public.

(There's nothing worse than a Bandwagon Jumper. If sports were a prison and sports fans made up all the prisoners, the Bandwagon Jumpers would be like the child molesters -- everyone else would pick on them, take turns beating them up and force them to toss more salads than Emeril Lagasse.)

19. Once you choose a team, you're stuck with that team for the rest of your life ... unless one of the following conditions applies:

* Your team moves to another city. All bets are off when that happens. In fact, if you decided to turn off that sport entirely, nobody would blame you.

* You grew up in a city that didn't field a team for a specific sport -- so you picked a random team -- and then either a.) your city landed a team, or b.) you moved to a city that fielded a team for that specific sport. For instance, one of my Connecticut buddies rooted for the Sixers during the Doctor J Era, then happened to be living in Orlando when the Magic came to town. Now he's a Magic fan. That's acceptable.

* If you're between the ages of 20-40, you're a fan of the Yankees, Cowboys, Braves, Raiders, Steelers, Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Canadiens and/or Oilers, and you're not actually from those one of those cities ... well, you better have a reason that goes beyond "When I was picking a favorite team as a kid, they were the best team, so I picked them." At least give me a reason like "Reggie Jackson was my favorite player growing up," or "I always liked the red Bulls uniforms," or even "Everyone in my gang wore Raiders colors." Do you really want to be known as a bona fide Bandwagon Jumper?

20. If you hail from New York, you can't root for the Yankees and the Mets. You have to choose between them. Repeat: You have to choose between them. Don't give me this "As long as one of them is doing well, at least New York is winning" spiels. What is this, the sports fan's version of bisexuality? How about making a choice? Any New Yorker who said the words "It's the Yankees versus the Mets ... I can't lose!" during the 2000 World Series deserves to be tortured with a cattle prod.
I think Bill would be okay with jumping to the Vegas Raiders (per rule 19), but I think you know what you're really supposed to do. Just watch out for doing too many Tomahawk Chops... that might get mistaken for a Raider gang sign.
Old 01-23-17, 11:52 PM   #97
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Ok Decker, here's my "almost" weekly update why KU is overrated....

After Duke losing again and West Virginia sliding down the charts quickly there's a good chance they have played no currently ranked team after this weekend.
The only "statement" game they will have is at Kentucky. It's not that hard to get up for one tough opponent a season.
Supposedly, the Big12 was going to be good this year but I haven't seen it. Who is quality? Baylor...maybe. Lost by 21 though.
I think that is whole reason KU got leapfrogged last week because the voting committee realizes they haven't played anyone yet. There's good and bad to having a back loaded schedule. The good...it lets your team build confidence and play together to get a rhythm. The bad...it can all come crashing down if you play enough quality opponents at the end. However, all the better big12 teams have already been beating up on each other and they are probably gassed out. Whoever set up KUs conference schedule should be commended.

There's Barth's weekly rant. In the end it would be fun to see AZ-KU in the championship.

Oh and I forgot to add...I'm a Chiefs fan too. That will be hard living in Vegas if the Raiders move there. Good luck. Long time rivalry.

Last edited by Barth; 01-23-17 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-24-17, 11:37 PM   #98
DVD Talk Legend

Big night of upsets. Villanova, Kansas & Kentucky all go down.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 01-25-17, 11:01 AM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Big night of upsets. Villanova, Kansas & Kentucky all go down.
first time since 1979 that #1,#2 and #4 all lost on the same day
Old 01-25-17, 03:32 PM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

Huge couple of days for Marquette, knocking off then #7 Creighton on the road Saturday and then taking down #1 Villanova last night.