Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

View Poll Results: Who will win the NBA Finals?
Cavaliers 6 30.00%
Warriors 8 40.00%
Spurs 1 5.00%
Clippers 0 0%
Celtics 1 5.00%
Raptors 1 5.00%
Thunder 0 0%
Pacers 1 5.00%
Blazers 0 0%
Jazz 0 0%
Grizzlies 0 0%
Timberwolves 0 0%
Hawks 0 0%
Rockets 0 0%
Other 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-16, 12:26 AM   #26
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
At least the fan got kicked out. Nice to see 76ers put up a fight. Question is, did Philly get better or are the Thunder just that bad without Durant...
Probably a little of both. Embiid looked legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Nice opening night win by the Lakers. They're a long way from respectable right now, but at least they're pointed in the right direction. Don't know if I agree with Luke starting Swaggy P and bringing Clarkson off the bench. You gotta start your best five.
Nick Young looked pretty solid this preseason, even the Laker radio guys have been talking about how much better he's been defensively. I like the move, since it means they can let Clarkson do his thing off the bench.

Real nice win for the young guys. Still no D in D'Antoni, and no matter how great Harden is offensively the Rockets look even worse on defense without Dwight helping in the middle.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 10-27-16, 12:27 AM   #27
DVD Talk Hero

It's only 1 game, but solid opening night win.

Yeah I'm not keen on starting Swaggy P. Clarkson is a scorer and they need his offense right away.

They need to work on their defense. Gave away several wide open layups and they allowed too many points tonight. They're going to get blown to pieces playing teams like the Warriors and Cavs right now.

Some good early potential, but they have a long way to go.
Old 10-27-16, 01:59 AM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno, with Clarkson coming off the bench they have the chance to actually get an award... sixth man of the year, even though the guy plays starters minutes. Hey it worked for Detlef.
Old 10-27-16, 07:54 AM   #29
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
At least the fan got kicked out. Nice to see 76ers put up a fight. Question is, did Philly get better or are the Thunder just that bad without Durant...
Embiid could be great if he is healthy. That is a huge IF though. He was just about the unanimous #1 choice draft ahead of Wiggins and Parker if his foot wasn't broken. Hopefully he has stopped growing, I think he is up to 7-2 or 3, that's 2 inches since being drafted. His growing can't help his foot/bone issues. I think they will trade Noel for scraps soon.
Old 10-27-16, 10:44 AM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

The commentators talked about how it's been something like 950 days since he last played in college and how different he looked from the college highlights. I don't remember him being a unanimous number 1 though, since both Parker and Wiggins were highly touted and the sample size on Embiid was pretty small. He was in the mix for sure, but unanimous?
Old 10-27-16, 01:09 PM   #31
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, maybe not unanimous, but I thought he was the favorite at least for Cleveland to take.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/5/2...liers-top-pick
Old 10-27-16, 02:17 PM   #32
DVD Talk Godfather

I recall Wiggins being the consensus number 1.

Old 10-27-16, 02:40 PM   #33
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I recall Wiggins being the consensus number 1.
Same here.
Old 10-27-16, 03:34 PM   #34
DVD Talk Hero

Two players from that draft made the cover of SI before playing a single game in college :

There was talk of Embiid shooting up the draft board that off-season but it was clear that he might not be ready from his foot injury. Most of what I was reading was "He might have been the #1 pick if fully healthy".

What was crazy is that Embiid wasn't that hyped coming to KU. He was like the #7 Center that year -- a good get, for certain, but not expected to be the impact player that Wiggins was. Until the second half of the season, nobody thought he was going pro after one year.
I, of course, was losing my mind when he played. Unlike Wiggins, he was a real difference maker and the main reason we won the Big XII that year.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 10-27-16, 03:41 PM   #35
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
There was talk of Embiid shooting up the draft board that off-season but it was clear that he might not be ready from his foot injury. Most of what I was reading was "He might have been the #1 pick if fully healthy".
This is how I remember it.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 10-27-16, 03:56 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

Wiggins was the consensus #1 at the beginning of the season. However, before Embiid got injured, it seemed pretty clear that he was on his way to being the consensus #1. But since he got injured before the season was over, that talk remained conjecture. But Wiggins was no longer the consensus #1 by that point. Many thought Parker should go #1, and some still thought Embiid was the right pick.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 10-27-16, 04:11 PM   #37
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/33489...-for-las-vegas

MGM Resorts Executive pursuing NBA team to relocate to Las Vegas.

The new T-Mobile Arena would be where they could play at.

So are there any glaring candidates? I don't know. I don't see any current team that's in dire straits in their current market right now.
Total click bait. There's no way that happens. Maybe if the League expands by two, but otherwise no way. The only teams that looked like they might have considered moving (Kings, Bucks) have gotten new arena deals done. The two oldest arenas are now home to the Knicks and the Warriors, so they're not moving. This is a pipe dream at best, and would probably decimate interest in the NHL expansion "Something Knights" before they ever even got off the ground. Basketball is an obvious fit for Vegas more than Football or NHL ever were, but an NBA team is not in our cards any time soon, and I'm fine with that.

Old 10-27-16, 04:15 PM   #38
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Total click bait. There's no way that happens. Maybe if the League expands by two, but otherwise no way. The only teams that looked like they might have considered moving (Kings, Bucks) have gotten new arena deals done. The two oldest arenas are now home to the Knicks and the Warriors, so they're not moving. This is a pipe dream at best, and would probably decimate interest in the NHL expansion "Something Knights" before they ever even got off the ground. Basketball is an obvious fit for Vegas more than Football or NHL ever were, but an NBA team is not in our cards any time soon, and I'm fine with that.
That's what I thought too. Since you're in Vegas and the story in that link was from a Las Vegas FOX affiliate, I wanted to see if this was even widely covered/reported in Vegas. Seems like a Pipe dream for that MGM suit.
Old 10-27-16, 04:33 PM   #39
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's an exec wanting to get his name in the paper. I'd expect that MGM has used all their political capital to get that Raiders stadium pushed through the State Assembly at warp speed. My head is still spinning from that one.

And regarding NBA expansion : I doubt that ever happens, at least not for a long, long time. I've heard Mark Cuban say that there's no way another team or two, even with a hefty expansion fee, would ever make up for having to split League revenue 32 ways instead of 30. I believe him.

Old 10-27-16, 04:59 PM   #40
DVD Talk Hero

Seattle is still battling over an arena, but I'm not even paying attention because it seems like such a pipe dream right now.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 10-27-16, 05:01 PM   #41
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Concerning expansion there has been a lot of talk about it in Seattle again now that the local arena group has said they will 100% private with their proposal. Apparently off the record they have been told there will be expansion if Seattle (one of the biggest markets currently without the NBA) has a suitable arena, they expand after the new CBA process is completed. No talk of who that other city would be assuming they would expand by 2 teams to keep it even.
Old 10-27-16, 05:13 PM   #42
DVD Talk Hero

Well, if the Sonics ever come back, hopefully it's before Kevin Calabro retires. I know he was their long-time play by play guy for 20+ years and I saw some of his broadcasts and he was pretty solid IMO. He could have moved with the team to OKC, but chose to stay in Seattle.

He does an occasional national NBA telecast as well as college stuff, but I'm sure he would jump at the chance to do Sonics games again. I remember he was interviewed a few years ago when the Kings almost moved there.
Old 10-27-16, 05:19 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Did the Kings get a new stadium or something? I wasn't following all that closely. There are also perennial rumors about Balmer taking the Clips to Seattle, though he's always denied it (I mean what else is he going to do?). They will never be the premiere brand even in their own building at this point.
Old 10-27-16, 05:28 PM   #44
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kevin is THE best, but since he recently signed a deal to be the voice of the Blazers it might be tough for him to come back to Seattle.
Old 10-27-16, 05:30 PM   #45
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Did the Kings get a new stadium or something? I wasn't following all that closely. There are also perennial rumors about Balmer taking the Clips to Seattle, though he's always denied it (I mean what else is he going to do?). They will never be the premiere brand even in their own building at this point.
http://www.golden1center.com/

Yes, Golden 1 Center is their new arena. it opened this season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_1_Center

The city and team split the costs.
Old 10-27-16, 06:01 PM   #46
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
There are also perennial rumors about Balmer taking the Clips to Seattle, though he's always denied it (I mean what else is he going to do?). They will never be the premiere brand even in their own building at this point.
Won't happen. Clippers are far more valuable as the 2nd franchise in L.A. than the primary franchise in Seattle, even without their own venue to play in. There's a reason he spent $2B on the club and it's not their storied past.

Old 10-27-16, 06:45 PM   #47
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/d...n-hills-102716

Pistons reportedly in talks to leave The Palace of Auburn Hills and share the new Little Caesars Arena with the Red Wings.
Old 10-27-16, 07:04 PM   #48
DVD Talk Godfather

Little Caesars got naming rights to an arena? Yeesh.

Old 10-27-16, 07:11 PM   #49
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Little Caesars got naming rights to an arena? Yeesh.
Well since Little Caesers' founder & owner Mike Illitch owns the Red Wings (and the Detroit Tigers as well), I'm guessing he had first dibs on naming rights.

Old 10-27-16, 07:33 PM   #50
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The homepage for nba.com is downright horrid.