Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

2016 NBA Playoffs Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who will win the 2016 NBA Championship?
Cleveland Cavaliers
19.23%
Detroit Pistons
5.77%
Toronto Raptors
1.92%
Indiana Pacers
1.92%
Miami Heat
0%
Charlotte Hornets
1.92%
Atlanta Hawks
0%
Boston Celtics
0%
Golden State Warriors
55.77%
Houston Rockets
0%
San Antonio Spurs
9.62%
Memphis Grizzlies
0%
Oklahoma City Thunder
1.92%
Dallas Maverics
0%
LA Clippers
1.92%
Portland Trail Blazers
0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

2016 NBA Playoffs Thread

Old 06-20-16, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: 2016 NBA Playoffs Thread

*cough* sign with the Knicks *cough*
Old 06-20-16, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
He isn't leaving Cleveland. And if he were to, the ability to lure other marquee players will be greatly diminished, if not non-existent.
I think you are dead wrong on both accounts. I think he has the potential to leave Cleveland, there's alot of smoke on that story and he's never really strongly denied it. And cap room talks, if the Cavs will overpay they can get a "big" name. Not Durant of course but the likes of Barnes, DeRozen, Parsons, Batum, hell even Howard are not out of the realm of possibility. The town has showed it supports the team and they have pieces in Thompson and Irving that could compliment a big time player (hell Irving himself is probably marquee at this point.)
Old 06-20-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
No way that happens. He's back in his hometown. The Cavs are the defending champions. Kyrie signed a 5 year extension and Love is also locked up to a long-term deal. I believe Tristan Thompson is also signed long-term as well.

They have the pieces in place to potentially repeat. If Dan Gilbert is smart, he will pay LeBron and sign him to a long-term extension to finish his career as a Cav.

The Heat are a disaster right now. Wade is aging and is banged up. Bosh's career might be over with his recurring blood clot problem. And the supporting cast is very weak. LeBron would be a fool to go back.
I don't think he leaves Cleveland either, the title alone means he can decline gracefully and forever be loved by the city without any worries. I think he cares too much about his public perception to leave again.

Gilbert isn't even an issue, I don't see anyway that he doesn't keep offering Lebron the max amount of money he can.
Old 06-20-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Cleveland ends their 52 year drought at the expense of the Warriors

Maybe if Kyrie Irving did not get hurt in the 2015 Finals the Cavs would be back to back champs.

The Warriors could not win at least 1 of the last 3 games?

Curry has to stop shooting these off balance unmakeable 3 pointers that have no chance to go in and go for the easy 2 points.

The Cavs gave it to them the title since the Browns and Indians are never going to win a championship in the next 100 years though probably most Clevelanders probably want a Browns title more than a Cavs championship.

Now we can focus on the 2016 Niners and the quest for the 1st pick in the 2017 draft begins on MNF in Sept against the Rams.
Ummm, because none of the 400+ 3 pointers he made were like that this year? I know it was not the majority of them but he was making a ton of those types all year round. I have a felling between being tired, playing hurt, and the refs allowing this series to be physical like it was really hurt him in the long run. Both him and Klay rely so much on being able to run free and not be hampered by that type of physical D that was allowed on them.

Me, just glad to see them lose so we don't have to hear even the debate of who was the better team. Them or my Bulls simply because they won 1 more game in the regular, which ironically may have help contribute to some of this tiredness.
Old 06-20-16, 11:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 369 Likes on 255 Posts

"Hello may I speak with Steph please..?"

"please dial 73-9 sir"

"I did but there's no ring"
Old 06-20-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

The Heat are a disaster right now. Wade is aging and is banged up. Bosh's career might be over with his recurring blood clot problem. And the supporting cast is very weak. LeBron would be a fool to go back.
Don't ever count Pat Riley out. He's a great GM. The Heat were a 3rd seed this year, have nice young talent around them, and almost made it to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Bosh retiring also benefit the Heat. It will free up money to sign Whiteside and pursue Durant if he wants to leave OKC. Riley can make pitch to Durant that it is an easier road to the finals in the Eastern Conference than the west.

The only scenario I see LeBron leaving is if he wants to play with his friends for the last two years of his career.
Old 06-20-16, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You think LeBron's forgotten about Dan Gilbert's letter following "The Decision"?
Old 06-20-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 293 Posts

*cough* sign with the Knicks *cough*
Or the Lakers if they offer him a $200 million contract
Old 06-20-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts

Joe Posnanski:

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/cle...-championship/
Old 06-20-16, 05:22 PM

Received 161 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
Thanks for posting. I read it earlier, but it is very good. The author is a year or two older than I am, but are experiences have been very similar.

I suppose the one difference is I moved away but came back and raised my sons in the area. My younger son is a huge sports fan and an even bigger Lebron fan. He was fourteen when he left, and aside from the truly tragic events in life, that night was one of the most miserable I've have had, not because Lebron left, but because how he reacted. Sure, I tried to explain how these things don't really matter in the end, how so many other things in life are more important, but that is easier to say with age; not so easy for a fourteen year old whose idol did what Lebron did that night.

We sort of secretly rooted for Lebron while he was in Miami, never saying it out loud or even offering an acknowledging nod, but I always knew it was there, especially for him. It is hard to simply abandon the hero of young boy. So when he came back and won last night, well I guess I still don't know completely what to say.
Old 06-21-16, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Now none of the teams with the most regular season wins in the major sports, NHL (95-96 Red Wings), Baseball (2001 Mariners/1906 Cubs), NFL (2007 Patriots), and the Warriors, have gone on to win the Championship.
Old 06-21-16, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

I've never even been to Cleveland and that piece got to me.
Old 06-21-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
that night was one of the most miserable I've have had, not because Lebron left, but because how he reacted. Sure, I tried to explain how these things don't really matter in the end, how so many other things in life are more important, but that is easier to say with age; not so easy for a fourteen year old whose idol did what Lebron did that night.
I know not to nit-pick on wording, because all Otters understand what we all mean even if we say it awkwardly, but the "what Lebron did" phrase is kinda hard to let pass without comment.

I know several Clevelanders who adopted a victim mentality regarding Lebron's decision to go to Miami... acting and talking as if he intentionally stuck a knife in their collective backs. And based on the overwhelming reaction I witnessed to "The Decision" - the burning of jerseys, the death threats, etc - it was clear to me that Clevelanders had collectively lost track what happened that night.

His decision to leave Cleveland was to pursue a championship, to win a ring. He did that for something, not against Cavs fans. Remember, he was insanely talented coming out of school and was drafted by Cleveland. Sure, he wanted to play for the home team that he grew up rooting for, but even if he didn't he wasn't given that opportunity. He was drafted. When his contract was up and he had an opportunity to go to a team that could win a championship, he chose to do that. More money certainly had a lot to do with that decision as well, and it's undeniable that the Heat had success with the team they built. But his relocation was about going to a place.... Cleveland fans acted as if his relocation was primarily about going away from a place.

So while I am certain that you didn't intend to invoke the old "we're all victims up here" mentality with your post, as if Lebron consciously did something to you, your kid, your family, or your community.... that's how I interpreted it.

It's part of our shared history, I suppose.
Old 06-21-16, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

It's not the leaving that bothers most people, it's how he did it that does.
Old 06-21-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 167 Posts

If there wasn't an audience to lap it up, the media would've never transformed it into the fiasco that it ultimately turned out to be. If ESPN were to dedicate an hour of live coverage to a one-on-one interview with me to discuss why I was changing jobs, or what I was fixing for dinner that night, or whether I was a "zip-fasten" or a "fasten-zip" kind of guy... and was paying me big bucks for that right... I'd do it too.
Old 06-21-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 295 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
exactly. many people were sure he was going back to CLE because no way would someone come up with that much spectacle to announce he's leaving his devoted fanbase.
Old 06-21-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I know not to nit-pick on wording, because all Otters understand what we all mean even if we say it awkwardly, but the "what Lebron did" phrase is kinda hard to let pass without comment.

I know several Clevelanders who adopted a victim mentality regarding Lebron's decision to go to Miami... acting and talking as if he intentionally stuck a knife in their collective backs. And based on the overwhelming reaction I witnessed to "The Decision" - the burning of jerseys, the death threats, etc - it was clear to me that Clevelanders had collectively lost track what happened that night.

His decision to leave Cleveland was to pursue a championship, to win a ring. He did that for something, not against Cavs fans. Remember, he was insanely talented coming out of school and was drafted by Cleveland. Sure, he wanted to play for the home team that he grew up rooting for, but even if he didn't he wasn't given that opportunity. He was drafted. When his contract was up and he had an opportunity to go to a team that could win a championship, he chose to do that. More money certainly had a lot to do with that decision as well, and it's undeniable that the Heat had success with the team they built. But his relocation was about going to a place.... Cleveland fans acted as if his relocation was primarily about going away from a place.

So while I am certain that you didn't intend to invoke the old "we're all victims up here" mentality with your post, as if Lebron consciously did something to you, your kid, your family, or your community.... that's how I interpreted it.

He didn't (and couldn't) get more money going to Miami.
Old 06-21-16, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
exactly. many people were sure he was going back to CLE because no way would someone come up with that much spectacle to announce he's leaving his devoted fanbase.

As I've posted about it here before, I won't spend much time on the departure/decision now. However, it was not the way he left, but the fact that he left. Directly related to this, and unintentionally completely skipped over in Ken's post, are the reasons Lebron left were his own doing. He created the mess and failed to clean it up. Personnel decisions were made at the behest of Lebron to "go all in", and with the understanding that he was re-signing. To then make it worse, he failed to show up in those last games against Boston, something I still can't understand. He hamstrung the team from making better moves, making a great effort from himself the only chance of winning, yet he gave one of his worst. Sure, the organisation has to take blame for allowing that situation, but I get it; virtually every organisation would have done the same, save perhaps a couple. And I also get Lebron thinking it was too much of a burden at that time, that it would be easier elsewhere. But there is far more to it than the manner in which he left, or that he simply left to go somewhere with a better opportunity.

P.S. the burning of the jersey thing is incredibly overblown. The image often shown on news programs was actually a radio show stunt, a radio show whose host and the burners weren't even Clevelanders or fans of the team.
Old 06-21-16, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LeBron isn't a Clevelander nor was he a fan of the Cavs growing up.
Old 06-21-16, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
LeBron isn't a Clevelander nor was he a fan of the Cavs growing up.
I am going to go out on a limb and guess I have known, and currently know at least a couple more people from Akron, and whether they consider themselves Clevelanders or not. Regardless, I am not sure what that has to do with the conversation.