Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2016 NBA Off Season Thread

Old 04-13-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2016 NBA Off Season Thread

George Karl expected to be fired on Thursday. Kings still owe him 6.5 million. Oh I think they still owe Mike Malone some money as well.

They are not expected to go after one of the "big" (read: expensive coaches) names on the market.

Woj says their list includes:

The Kings will be working from a list that will include Vinny Del Negro, Boston Celtics assistant Jay Larranaga, ex-Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt, Atlanta Hawks assistant Kenny Atkinson and former Phoenix Suns coach Jeff Hornacek, sources said.
Personally I'd stay away from Del Negro because I didn't think he was all that great as Clippers coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...160949970.html
Old 04-13-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2016 NBA Off Season Thread

I hope they hire away Kurt Rambis.
Old 04-14-16, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

With the Lakers season officially over and Kobe's money off the books, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do this offseason.

1st: They need to make a commitment to Jordan Clarkson and offer him a long-term deal. I say they should offer him a 4-5 year deal.

2nd: Make up their mind about Byron Scott. Do they want to commit to him one more season or do they cut their losses? Even though Luke Walton had a really great run as the Warriors Interim head coach, I'm not really sure he's automatically ready to be an NBA head coach full-time right away and an automatic good coaching candidate for the Lakers. Part of his success was due to the Warriors already being ridiculously talented.

3rd: Looks like they will either get Simmons or Ingram at #2 in the draft. Most likely Ingram.

4th: Fill the Center spot via Free agency. Hibbert obviously isn't coming back and his money will be off the books.

I think Randle, Russell, Clarkson and possibly Ingram would be a great young foundation.

We'll see. It's going to be an interesting summer.
Old 04-14-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
3rd: Looks like they will either get Simmons or Ingram at #2 in the draft. Most likely Ingram.
Did I miss the draft lottery?
Old 04-14-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Did I miss the draft lottery?
Exactly. It's still only a little better odds than a coin flip that they even keep their pick.
Old 04-14-16, 10:36 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are we forgoing a Playoffs thread because Warriors?
Old 04-14-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sorry jumping the gun. But still, they're probably getting Simmons or Ingram unless something drastic happens.
Old 04-14-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HN View Post
Are we forgoing a Playoffs thread because Warriors?
Nah, I just think nobody has started it.

Sorry jumping the gun. But still, they're probably getting Simmons or Ingram unless something drastic happens.
I don't think you understand how the lottery works. They have a 55.8% chance of having a top 3 pick, 19.9% of top pick. Pretty sure that their odds for top 2 is under 50%. Saying "they're probably getting Simmons or Ingram unless something drastic happens" is not close to correct.
Old 04-14-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends on how loose your definition of Drastic is.

"I'm going to flip this quarter. It'll come up Heads unless something drastic happens."
Old 04-14-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-14-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Nah, I just think nobody has started it.

I don't think you understand how the lottery works. They have a 55.8% chance of having a top 3 pick, 19.9% of top pick. Pretty sure that their odds for top 2 is under 50%. Saying "they're probably getting Simmons or Ingram unless something drastic happens" is not close to correct.
Okay I guess I didn't understand the odds. Thought with the second worst record in the NBA, they were practically a lock for #2. Geez Bob, you just love to rub it in when you think someone is wrong.
Old 04-14-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll just keep my mouth shut about the lottery and draft then so I won't get the wrath of Lurker Bob giving me shit after he looks it up on Google and proclaims I'm wrong.
Old 04-14-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm kind of surprised that as a Laker fan, you didn't already know that, DJariya. I've been saying that all season and doing the math in my head since we went and beat the Sixers, essentially eliminating any chance of the Lakers getting the worst overall record (and even then, keeping their pick wouldn't have been a lock).

The Lakers are guaranteed a Top 5 Pick, but have to surrender that pick to Philly (through Phoenix) if that pick falls outside the Top 3

Hope they get a Top 2 pick, but the way things have been going, it wouldn't surprise me to have them lose the pick and make the entire season a waste (save last night, I suppose)

Hey, at least we got two years of expensive Steve Nash, right?
Old 04-14-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers...208-story.html

After looking up this old LA Times article from December, I didn't realize how difficult their odds are.

And this was because of the Steve Nash disaster?

If the Lakers do not get the first, second or third selection, they lose the pick altogether. Conversely, if the Lakers successfully get through the lottery on May 17, they will owe their 2017 first-rounder to Philadelphia, also with top-three protection.
Old 04-14-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup the Lakers sent the Suns two first rounders (with protection) for the privilege of massively overpaying the corpse of Steve Nash on a three year deal. It was a sign-and-trade to keep him from Toronto. Total fleece job.

Then two years after we pay off the Nash deal, we have to give our (protected) First Round pick to Orlando for one glorious year of Dwight Howard.
Old 04-14-16, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, just have to cross our fingers then and hope for the best.

A lot of money available going into this offseason for free agency with Kobe's $25M and Hibbert's $15M off the books.

Seriously, I can't believe they paid $15M to Hibbert? What a stiff he was? I can now see why the Pacers dumped him.

Here's a list of the top free agents according to USA Today heading into this offseason

http://hoopshype.com/2016/03/05/nba-...e-top-players/

Forget Durant. I think landing him will be next to impossible even though they have the money.

I would try to make an offer to Drummond even though he's a restricted free agent. I think he can work as a complementary player and put up some points and actually rebound unlike Hibbert.

I'd like to see them pursue DeRozan. Hometown guy from USC and he's a scorer.
Old 04-14-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Problem is everyone has money. More money than players to spend the money on.
The Lakers will have oodles of cap room, but it won't matter if folks don't want to go there, they can get pain by almost anyone this year -- and next as well.
Old 04-14-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't realize there's top three protection for the Lakers pick next year too. I guess even if they keep their pick this year, Byron might remain coach for tankapalooza pt. 2.

And the 76ers may have two of the top five picks, plus cap space?
Old 04-14-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll just keep my mouth shut about the lottery and draft then so I won't get the wrath of Lurker Bob giving me shit after he looks it up on Google and proclaims I'm wrong.
Sorry, it was all good natured shit though.

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I'm kind of surprised that as a Laker fan, you didn't already know that, DJariya.
And honestly, I didn't need to google (beyond getting really precise odds). Both because of general lottery knowledge, PLUS my Celtics own the #3 pick (which for a while looked like it me be #4 or 5), so I have been paying extra attention this year, and running the simulator that espn has.
Old 04-14-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
And the 76ers may have two of the top five picks, plus cap space?
Their Best Case : #1 and #4.
Their Worst Case : #4 and wait for the Lakers pick next year.
Old 04-14-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

George Karl officially out as Kings head coach

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/04/14/k...s=iref:nbahpts

He was a bad fit from the start. Kings should stop hiring retreads and give a promising Assistant a shot.
Old 04-14-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

George Karl officially out as Kings head coach

http://www.nba.com/2016/news/04/14/k...s=iref:nbahpts

Kings should stop hiring retreads and give a promising Assistant a shot.
They did. They hired Mike Malone and fired him after a few months in 2014.

The next coach to watch is Brett Brown of the Sixers. He's 50-50 to be retained as coach of the lousy Sixers. And the Sixers fire Brown they will hire retread Mike D'Antoni, who has been a bad coach in his last two stops.
Old 04-15-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NBA approves selling ad space on game jerseys starting in 2017-18 season.

The NBA will begin selling jersey sponsorships in 2017-18, becoming the first major North American sports league to put partners' logos on players' uniforms.

The three-year trial was approved Friday by NBA owners and will take effect when the league's contract with Nike begins. The patches will appear on the front left of the jersey, opposite Nike's logo, and measure about 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches.

Logos appear on international and MLS soccer jerseys, and many athletes in individual sports wear their sponsors' attire in competition.

Commissioner Adam Silver had said this step was inevitable as an additional revenue generator. WNBA teams already have logos, and NBA clubs were wearing them on practice jerseys.

"Jersey sponsorships provide deeper engagement with partners looking to build a unique association with our teams and the additional investment will help grow the game in exciting new ways," Silver said in a statement. "We're always thinking about innovative ways the NBA can remain competitive in a global marketplace, and we are excited to see the results of this three-year trial."

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/0...?intcmp=hplnws
Old 04-15-16, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ A bit of trivia I heard about that on sports radio on the way home today: Only one team will not have the Nike logo on their jersey - Charlotte. Because they'll have the Jordan logo instead.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 04-15-16 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-17-16, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...151842232.html

Hawks assistant Kenny Atkinson named Nets head coach

he will finish out Hawks season before joining Nets

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.