Reload this Page >

2016 NBA Off Season Thread

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2016 NBA Off Season Thread

Old 05-18-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 296 Likes on 229 Posts
Re: 2016 NBA Off Season Thread

Lakers apparently already shopping the 2nd pick around, which unless they pull off another heist seems like a mistake to me. But that's what happens when there's only a year left on the "turnaround" project for Jim.
Old 05-18-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Golden State Warriors are dominating with guard-led "small ball"? Let's do the opposite!
Trying to play Curry Ball without Curry doesn't work very well.
Old 05-18-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
And in this scenario, all of their 5 best players (Okafur, Noel, Embiid, Saric, Simmons) would all be 6'10" or taller. Simmons is a good passer/ball handler, right? Let's make him point guard

Hinkie may be gone, but maybe his philosophy of zigging to the rest of the league's zagging still holds. Golden State Warriors are dominating with guard-led "small ball"? Let's do the opposite!

BTW, what's the current situation with Saric? I know he's still young (22) and keeps saying he wants to come to the NBA relatively soon. And for his development, he was probably better off with his European team instead of the sorry collection the Sixers were running out on the court while in tank mode. How does his deal with the NBA draft work? Does he have to play for the Sixers if he wants to go the NBA? Or is there a time window where the Sixers draft rights to him expire (and he either reenters the draft or can sign with whoever he wants as a free agent)?
What's odd about their roster is that none of those guys seem to have much trade value, or at least not as much as you'd expect if they want a good pg to come over, especially with th devaluation of the big man. So they'll have to trade for less or play guys just to get them stats and have their stock rise.

I believe the Sixers keep his draft rights unless they trade them. After three years he doesn't have to sign a rookie scale contract, though. Didn't Sabonis come over to the Blazers almost 10 years after he was drafted?

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
Trying to play Curry Ball without Curry doesn't work very well.
Trying to play twin towers without Robinson and Duncan won't work either, let alone quadruple towers or whatever they're going for. They'd probably dominate in the days goaltending was still legal, though. As a caveat to that, it seems like OKC's best crunch time lineup has both Adams and Kanter, but then the other guys around them are pretty good.
Old 05-18-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 352 Likes on 265 Posts

I know the Sixers won't do it, but they should trade the pick for some veteran help. The last thing they need is to draft another 6-9, 6-10 kid.
Old 05-18-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

While the Sixers certainly have to trade someone, and while the league is going small ball, big men are still needed and still in demand. Those guys all have trade value, some more than others.
Old 05-18-16, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
While the Sixers certainly have to trade someone, and while the league is going small ball, big men are still needed and still in demand. Those guys all have trade value, some more than others.
The 76ers should use one of their surplus of big men and trade that along with the 1st overall pick to acquire a veteran point guard and maybe a veteran shooter. That team severely lacks veteran leadership. I know they aren't going to do it because I think their philosophy is to stock up on any many of these kids as possible and hopefully they will be ready to compete in a few more years.
Old 05-18-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Lakers apparently already shopping the 2nd pick around, which unless they pull off another heist seems like a mistake to me. But that's what happens when there's only a year left on the "turnaround" project for Jim.
There were rumors pre-lottery about the Lakers wanting to land a stud like Paul George or Jimmy Butler, but I have a hard time believing the Pacers or Bulls will give up a player like that right now and those seemed just like wishful thinking type rumors anyway. Even Cousins seems like he'll get a fresh start with a new coach in Sacramento. I'm not sure anyone is actually available that the Lakers would want. I hope the Lakers just keep the pick and give their young guys a couple years.

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
The 76ers should use one of their surplus of big men and trade that along with the 1st overall pick to acquire a veteran point guard and maybe a veteran shooter. That team severely lacks veteran leadership. I know they aren't going to do it because I think their philosophy is to stock up on any many of these kids as possible and hopefully they will be ready to compete in a few more years.
I can't imagine they trade the #1 pick for just a "veteran" point guard. They need a young star player, otherwise they should keep it and hope Simmons (or Ingram) hit their superstar potential. Otherwise all the tanking doesn't amount to anything worth while.
Old 05-18-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I can't imagine they trade the #1 pick for just a "veteran" point guard. They need a young star player, otherwise they should keep it and hope Simmons (or Ingram) hit their superstar potential. Otherwise all the tanking doesn't amount to anything worth while.
Agreed. The Sixers would have to get a "Kings Ransom" offer to part with the #1 pick. But I agree that now there's some promising young talent assembled, they need to exit tank mode and add some good veterans. To help not just on the court, but teach these young guys good attitude and behavior. The Sixers must be crazy under the salary cap, right? Surely if they opened up the wallets there will be some good veterans willing to take on this job for a sizable payday.

They're going to have to deal with this surplus of big men eventually. Okafur should still have big trade value appeal. Though his skill set seems like it could fit with Simmons. You'd think the Sixers would at least give it a try and see how it goes. At this point I'm pretty much assuming Embiid never does anything in the NBA.
Old 05-18-16, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aren't people pretty optimistic about Embiid? The word is he should be ready for the start of next season (though we've heard that before)
Old 05-18-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not saying a straight up trade. They could acquire a surplus of veteran bodies for that pick, including a veteran leader. But, as I said, it's not going to happen and as you said, it would basically be a waste of their tanking again last year to acquire a potential young star.

They should really address the surplus of big men. If they get Simmons, I can't imagine him, Embiid, Okafor, and Noel will get reasonable PT each.
Old 05-18-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not saying a straight up trade. They could acquire a surplus of veteran bodies for that pick, including a veteran leader. But, as I said, it's not going to happen and as you said, it would basically be a waste of their tanking again last year to acquire a potential young star.

They should really address the surplus of big men. If they get Simmons, I can't imagine him, Embiid, Okafor, and Noel will get reasonable PT each.
There's no way I (or any team I can think of) would trade the #1 pick in this particular draft for just a handful of veterans either. Maybe if it was a much weaker draft, but in this one where Simmons/Ingram could be super stars there's no reason to move that pick.

But yeah, moving one of their other young bigs seems like a better option to bring in additional guard help.
Old 05-18-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

But yeah, moving one of their other young bigs seems like a better option to bring in additional guard help.
That would be Okafor or Noel then because I can't imagine Embiid has that much value coming off the foot injury.
Old 05-18-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

The one rumor I read (please take all rumors with a grain of salt). Sixers would trade Okafor to the Lakers for #2 overall pick.
Old 05-18-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Can't imagine the Lakers would do that at all.
Old 05-18-16, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 427 Posts

Can't imagine the Lakers would do that at all.
Yeah, I think they'd rather trade for Dwight Howard.

Honestly, Ingram has such potential on this team and would seem to fit with what Luke wants that it's hard to imagine a scenario where the Lakers would be tempted by a trade.
Old 05-19-16, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yeah, I think they'd rather trade for Dwight Howard.

Honestly, Ingram has such potential on this team and would seem to fit with what Luke wants that it's hard to imagine a scenario where the Lakers would be tempted by a trade.
Yup, the more I read about Ingram the more I'm really happy about how I think he'll fit with the current Laker team.

They passed on Okafor for a reason last year, can't imagine they like him now over either Simmons or Ingram.
Old 05-19-16, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Shame the Lakers are still stuck with Nick Young another year. I hope Mitch can find a taker of his $5M+ salary for a salary dump and maybe a trade for a 2nd round pick.

Lakers only have 6 players under contract next season and only $23M on the books right now. The #2 pick will be big. But, I really hope they can land some bodies in free agency. They have no inventory to trade.
Old 05-19-16, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Knicks hire Jeff Hornacek as head coach.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15...hornacek-coach

Thank fucking Christ its not Kurt Rambis.
Old 05-19-16, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Shame the Lakers are still stuck with Nick Young another year. I hope Mitch can find a taker of his $5M+ salary for a salary dump and maybe a trade for a 2nd round pick.

Lakers only have 6 players under contract next season and only $23M on the books right now. The #2 pick will be big. But, I really hope they can land some bodies in free agency. They have no inventory to trade.
They'll cut Swaggy P if they don't find a taker for him. Salary is a drop in the bucket now and it will be addition be subtraction.
Free Agency will be interesting this Summer, that's for sure.
Old 05-19-16, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I think they would cut Swaggy as well if no one wants him.
Old 05-19-16, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Knicks hire Jeff Hornacek as head coach.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15...hornacek-coach

Thank fucking Christ its not Kurt Rambis.
Damn right! Also, I hope it is a sign that Jackson is willing to not be 100% triangle but I doubt it. Stubborn is as stubborn does.
Old 05-19-16, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
Damn right! Also, I hope it is a sign that Jackson is willing to not be 100% triangle but I doubt it. Stubborn is as stubborn does.
I can't imagine Hornacek would take the job if he had to completely abandon his playbook in favor of the triangle. I'm sure the plan is for him to introduce triangle concepts into his offense to go along with a healthy dose of pick and roll.
Old 05-19-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Orlando Magic agrees to hire Frank Vogel as their next head coach. Good for them, not so much for him.
Old 05-25-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15...-charity-funds

Kermit Washington facing some serious prison time for fraud. Used money that was donated to his charity for Africa for personal use like vacations, gifts and entertainment.
Old 05-25-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ain't that a punch in the face.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.