Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2016 NBA Off Season Thread

Old 07-04-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 2016 NBA Off Season Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Charles Barkley was 29 years old when he went to the Suns in 1992. Hardly old. Plus, he won MVP that year and led the Suns to the NBA Finals against the Bulls.

The Suns roster that year had KJ, Tom Chambers and Dan Marjerle who were already stars on that team.
He must be thinking about when he went to Houston.

No Drexler to Houston? Granted despite winning the title the year before, the team was hardly a world beater outside of Olajuwon.

As far as buying their way to the title, what are they supposed to do, spend that money on a lesser player so that they can play fair?
Old 07-04-16, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
As far as buying their way to the title, what are they supposed to do, spend that money on a lesser player so that they can play fair?
Like I said, for me, I don't blame Durant or the Warriors.
Old 07-04-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
You are still spreading them around like they are proof of something.
Well, the Bulls got Rodman and already had MJ and Pippen on their team and won 3 titles in a row with him. Rodman was the NBA's leading rebounder.

Pistons just lost to the Lakers in the Finals the previous year, acquired Mark Aguirre and then won 2 NBA titles in a row. Pistons already had Isiah, Dumars on their team. Aguirre at one time was one of the top 5 scorers in the NBA.

Their whole point was that the "Super Star" team concept that some NBA fans complain about has been around for years and it helped some teams and sometimes it didn't work.
Old 07-04-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like Johnny Damon bailing on the Red Sox years ago and going to hated rivals the Yankees? LOL He was loved in Boston and at one time professed loyalty to them and then signed with the Yankees and became one of the most hated people in Boston.
Johnny Damon =/= KD when it comes to direct impact in their respective sport. Yes, Damon leaving Boston hurt them and the fans but it comes nowhere close to the bitch made move here.
Old 07-04-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Drexler to Houston? Granted despite winning the title the year before, the team was hardly a world beater outside of Olajuwon.
Drexler got traded there though, slightly different circumstances.

And also Rodman isn't a good example. He basically got dumped by the Spurs since he had off court issues in the playoffs.
Old 07-04-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Conley is going to get 30 million plus next year ad Ewing got 33 million over 6 seasons in the 90s with the Knicks. These salaries are absurd and as fans we are still paying for it somehow.
Old 07-04-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the Bulls got Rodman and already had MJ and Pippen on their team and won 3 titles in a row with him. Rodman was the NBA's leading rebounder.

Pistons just lost to the Lakers in the Finals the previous year, acquired Mark Aguirre and then won 2 NBA titles in a row. Pistons already had Isiah, Dumars on their team. Aguirre at one time was one of the top 5 scorers in the NBA.
Those were both trades.
Old 07-04-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like Bogut will be traded to Dallas to dump salary to pay KD.

It's going to be an interesting dynamic for the Olympic team since KD replaced Barnes in GSW. Both Klay and Draymond were there at the pitch meeting for KD as well.

Also if Barnes didn't reject the Warriors' offer last year or sucked ass the last three games in the finals, the Warriors would't even be in the KD sweepstakes. We should just blame Barnes for this whole mess.
Old 07-04-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pau Gasol is signing with the Spurs.

Probably means they're expecting Duncan to retire.
Old 07-04-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Their whole point was that the "Super Star" team concept that some NBA fans complain about has been around for years and it helped some teams and sometimes it didn't work.
It's even worse than that if you consider that it's almost rarer for a championship team not to repeat in the NBA, where dynasties have always ruled.

There's still the possibility of a double heel turn where Durant ties up GS's cap space but signs with OKC at the deadline. Plus I wouldn't put it past Steven Adams to kidnap family members. Not likely at all but fun for talk radio speculation. Plus I tend to think it would have been worse for GS to max out Barnes and have him be their highest paid player.

If the Lakers had just waited they could be absorbing Boguts contract. As is the Mavs will now be GS rejects.
Old 07-04-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pau Gasol is signing with the Spurs.

Probably means they're expecting Duncan to retire.
He took less money to sign with the Spurs. 2 years 30 million. Portland was offering 2 years, 40 million total.
If the Lakers had just waited they could be absorbing Boguts contract. As is the Mavs will now be GS rejects.
Yeah, his contract expires next year too and would have given them enough cap space to chase two max deals (I think). Instead, they are stuck with Mozgov
Old 07-04-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I just remembered Barkley going to a team late in his career to try and win a title when he was breaking down physically and wasn't nearly as good as he had been earlier. I remembered the wrong team. (And I really thought he was older than 29 when he joined the Suns, so, clearly, I remembered the wrong change of address for him.)

I'm not saying what the Warriors did was unfair. It's just pretty much sucked the fun out of the upcoming season for me. I'm not upset with the Warriors - I'm disappointed that Durant turned out to be so gutless.

If the Warriors win the title, as now expected, it won't be because of him. they won a title without him. He's going with the best team in the league. A team that doesn't need him. He's afraid of having to carry a team as the #1 guy and not winning a title. Like I said - gutless.

I pretty much lost interest in the NBA when Magic retired. With Jordan winning the title every year it got boring. But the last few years have been really interesting and I got interested again. Now it's going to be the Warriors dominating the league for several years (since the core of that team is so young and has already dominated for the last two seasons - even if they couldn't seal the deal on the title this year).

The NBA is boring when you've got a dominant team like that with no real rivals that can take them down. That's what made the 80's so great - you had the Lakers, the Celtics, the Sixers, the Rockets, and the Pistons dominating the decade. They were all pretty equal (or at least the Lakers, Celtics, and Sixers were, with the Pistons and the Rockets just barely behind them).

This season really is likely to be a lot like going to a movie with the ending spoiled for you. I think most of us will be stunned if the Warriors don't win the whole thing. (Unless they have major injuries...)

With this one move the upcoming season has been set. It's about the rest of the league trying not to get blown out by Golden State. Unless LeBron goes to San Antonio or something (and even then he probably isn't a good fit there, so that may not help make the season any more competitive).

And that's the whole thing. Sports are supposed to be all about competition. I expect Golden State to win 75 games this year and cruise to a 4-1 run in the finals. That's not competitive. That's just going through the motions.
Old 07-04-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno. We want our athletes to care about winning more than making money. Lebron put winning above making money and gets crucified. Same with KD, he went with a place that would be most conducive to winning a championship, checking his ego at the door, but as much as we say we don't want hero ball that's exactly what we want.
Old 07-04-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't have a problem with KD leaving OKC. He gave them many good years, signed a new contract, and took them to the finals. Sometimes people just want a change. As far as going to GS, I'm not so sure. Would I have respected him more if he'd taken a chance on an up-and-coming team like the Celtics that hadn't won with their current roster? Maybe, but there are no sure things, so I don't blame him if he thought this was his best chance, plus maybe he like the GS style and players. LeBron was worse mostly because of The Decision, and Payton and Malone were about the worst as far as ring-chasing.

I assumed that GS's loss in the finals made this more likely. I wonder what would've happened if they'd been coming off two straight titles.
Old 07-04-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Warriors are now officially the most hated team in the NBA since the 2010-2011 Miami Heat.

Watch LeBron James figure out a way to neutralize Durant if they meet in next year's NBA Finals.
Old 07-04-16, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In other breaking news, seems like Paul Pierce has learned how to use emojis.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16...state-warriors
Old 07-04-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The difference between Barkley joining the Suns, Rodman joining the Bulls, and Lebron joining the Heat... those players filled a need and made the team far better. Durant is just another All-Star scorer on a team that can only use one ball at a time. GS would have been much better off adding one of the true big men that were available.

It would have made far more sense to KD to stay in OKC next season and then pull a LeBron the next year getting two or three other complimentary guys to fill out a team. That OKC team with KD would have a serious chance at beating GS if they had a good off-season. The only needed a couple role players to fill gaps.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 07-04-16 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-04-16, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man I hope SoonerDoc is alright.

I hope he's drowning his sorrows over at Twin Peaks or something...
Old 07-04-16, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
The difference between Barkley joining the Suns, Rodman joining the Bulls, and Lebron joining the Heat... those players filled a need and made the team far better. Durant is just another All-Star scorer on a team that can only use one ball at a time. GS would have been much better off adding one of the true big men that were available.

It would have made far more sense to KD to stay in OKC next season and then pull a LeBron the next year getting two or three other complimentary guys to fill out a team. That OKC team with KD would have a serious chance at beating GS if they had a good off-season. The only needed a couple role players to fill gaps.
Are you really saying that KD doesn't make the team better? That having four members of the 2016 all NBA teams (and let's be honest, Klay deserved to at least be second team, so that would be four out of the top 10) doesn't create an even bigger matchup nightmare? That Durant won't fit in with an equal opportunity pass first system with a lot of shooters when he was just in a situation with another volume shooter, and whose big move in the offseason was to unload one of his best friends for another volume shooter? There are no guarantees in life but it should work for the next year, though they do need some kind of big man signing.

I completely forgot how much Westbrook seems to hate Curry too. I'll be waiting for his unfiltered comments and the match ups to come.
Old 07-04-16, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the Warriors missed having a real center than Barnes' disappearing act during the finals. Thus, their priority should have been to upgrade their big men. However, if KD only cost them a couple million more compared to Barnes, there is no way to not go for him. I just wish they find a big guy to replace Bogut and Ezeli, because a starting five of Green, Durant, Iggy, Klay and Steph is not going to get you a championship, no matter what the "experts" on ESPN are touting.

I don't have a big problem with the Warriors making this move. I'm just happy that such a big name free agent decided to sign with the Warriors. We were never a franchise that attracted a big name; they always went to the other team down in So Cal. Things like this don't last forever; sports franchises are always in a cycle whether it is a long or a short one. One day, it will be your team's turn.
Old 07-04-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are no guarantees in life but it should work for the next year, though they do need some kind of big man signing.
But they should be set with KD now, right?

My point is that they would have been better off singing a top big man they really needed rather than getting KD and some left over guy that could be no better than what they already had.
Old 07-04-16, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Warriors signed Zaza Pachuilla which is a great add. He had a solid season last year with Dallas and is a big step up from Varajeo and Ezeli and a small one from Bogut.

Still don't understand the KD hate or name calling (pussy, etc). The NBA is a business he was with one company for 9 years got an offer with a better company to make his job easier and he took it. If it was any other business we'd be talking about his smart decision.
Old 07-04-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If it was any other business, the merger would be disallowed over antitrust concerns.
Old 07-04-16, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
Warriors signed Zaza Pachuilla which is a great add. He had a solid season last year with Dallas and is a big step up from Varajeo and Ezeli and a small one from Bogut.

Still don't understand the KD hate or name calling (pussy, etc). The NBA is a business he was with one company for 9 years got an offer with a better company to make his job easier and he took it. If it was any other business we'd be talking about his smart decision.
But this isn't any other business. Sports are unlike any other business. It's about competition and achievement.

KD just took the easy way out to avoid hard work and competition. It was the lazy choice. It was the gutless choice. He doesn't feel confident that he can compete for a title without the backup of the best team in the league. He was almost there with OKC, but rather than work harder and competing more he chose to go where he won't have to work as hard and compete as much.

That's just the difference between sports and the real world. They get paid what they get paid because they're supposed to be the best and compete the hardest. KD doesn't want to follow that ethic. And that's why people are going to see him as the villain for the rest of his career.

LeBron left Cleveland because he had zero chance of winning a title there. He was carrying the team. And as bad as, "The Decision," was, he made up for it by going home and winning a title for a title starved city.
Old 07-04-16, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm conflicted on the Durant thing. I'm pretty sure I said this about Lebron on here but as much as I hate him and the whole Decision bullshit, at the end of the day if you had a chance to go to a fun party city and play basketball with your best friends and win titles, it's hard to pass up. And I'll keep maintaining that I find it funny that people give him a pass now for going back to Cleveland, when he basically left an aging Miami team to play for a young Cleveland team loaded with potential. Lebron basically picked the best option for him as a player. Hard to say Durant isn't doing the same.

People are trying to say Durant's situation is different, but I read a comment somewhere that it's pretty unfair to a player to assume and hope that they should play on a city/team that they had no choice about when drafted. In that case, when you finally do have a chance to go elsewhere, why would you play somewhere shitty? Would he be less "gutless" if he went to play on the Celtics? What about the Spurs, who are already a dominant team? It's kind of silly if you think about it, that a player should only go to a less qualified team for the sake of competition. What if he actually hated playing with Westbrook? Should he suck it up?

Don't get me wrong, I hate that a great player goes to an already great team, especially when it comes to the league and how things pan out, but even Miami only won 2/4 titles. To say there won't be hard work or competition is pretty silly.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.