2016 MLB Season-long Peehs (Reverse Sheep): Game 3

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 02-26-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Spoiler:
Do we want to play another game this year? I think we had more players for the NFL game, but interest during the season seemed a bit lukewarm. We'd probably be a go if we can get as many people as last season.

This is MLB Peehs (Reverse Sheep), based on Jeremy517's 2013-2014 NFL game.

Unlike most Sheep games, researching your answers is allowed. Feel free to look at previous-year stats, expert predictions, schedules, rosters, etc.

There is one question for each week of the season, plus a handful of questions for the end of the season. Since this is Reverse Sheep, which requires answers to be correct, we can't score a question until the completion of that week. Thus, we will reveal the answers for one question after each week of the 2016 MLB season, plus the final set of questions at the conclusion of the regular season.

Some questions have been retained from the 2014 and 2015 games and some have been removed.

Rules:
  • For our purposes, the end of each week will be considered 11:59 p.m. PT on Sunday night. The dates given in the questions will be considered as of that time on that day.
  • You want to give the answer that you think will be given by the fewest number of other players, but is still correct.
  • You get one point for every person that gives the same correct answer as you, including yourself. For example, if you and ten other people said Wilson Ramos, all eleven of you would get 11 points.
  • Incorrect answers are scored using this method: (Score of most-popular correct answer FOR THAT QUESTION) + (Number of incorrect responses FOR THAT QUESTION)
  • Lowest score wins
  • Research is allowed
Please do not discuss what you answered for questions that have not yet been revealed.

Submit all answers via PM in an unnumbered list to me. Don't double space the list. Don't list the questions, just your answers. LIKE THIS:

Answer one
Answer two
Answer three

ETC. I won't penalize incorrectly formatted answers, so please reward my faith by doing it right and saving me formatting time.

PM me your answers by the start of the first regular-season game played in the U.S. (Sunday, April 3 at 1:05 PM ET).

"Phantom double-play rule": Anyone who submits answers is allowed to subsequently submit one revision (to any number of answers) at any time before the official deadline passes. This is so players who submit early won’t be penalized by a late-breaking elbow. Caveat: If the sheepmaster sends his answers to another player as a safeguard to avoid any suspicion of foul play, that player may not then revise answers. Thus, the SM will try to send his answers at the last minute or to a player who has already submitted a revision.

All questions are for the 2016 MLB Regular Season.

This is an ambitious game, so the questions have been kept mostly simple in hopes of attracting more players. If there are not enough players for a viable game, the game will be canceled and join Tennis Sheep in what-Sheep-might-have-been lore.

The questions:

1. As of 11:59 p.m. PT on April 10, name a team that won its opening game.
  2. As of April 17, name a team that is over .500.
  3. As of April 24, name a player who has hit two home runs.
  4. As of May 1, name a Chicago Cub who has hit a home run.
  5. As of May 8, name a team that has scored 10 or more runs in a game.
  6. As of May 15, name a pitcher who has appeared in at least 12 games.
  7. As of May 22, name a batter who has drawn at least 20 bases on balls.
  8. As of May 29, name a team that is over .500.
  9. As of June 5, name a player who has at least three outfield assists.
  10. As of June 12, name a player selected in the first round of the MLB draft, including compensation picks but not competitive balance picks. Yes, this means the 2016 draft.
  11. As of June 19, name a player who has hit at least two triples.
  12. As of June 26, name a pitcher who has struck out at least 10 batters in a single game.
  13. As of July 3, name a team that will be leading its division.
  14. As of July 10, name a pitcher with at least 10 saves.
  15. As of July 17, name a player in one of the starting lineups for the All-Star Game.
  16. As of July 24, name a team that is under .500.
  17. As of July 31, name a title-eligible pitcher who has an ERA of 3.30 or lower.
  18. As of August 7, name a player who was traded during the season.
  19. As of August 14, name a title-eligible player with a batting average of .290 or higher (no rule 10.22(a) adjustments made for nonqualifiers).
  20. As of August 21, name a player who has been hit by a pitch at least seven times.
  21. As of August 28, name a player who has at least 25 doubles.
  22. As of September 4, name a player who has committed at least 15 errors.
  23. As of September 11, name a batter who has struck out at least 125 times.
  24. As of September 18, name a pitcher who has thrown at least 190 innings.
  25. As of September 25, name a player who has stolen at least 25 bases.
  26. END OF SEASON QUESTIONS: Name a team that qualified for the playoffs.
  27. Name a team that won at least 10 more games in 2016 than it did in 2015.
  28. As of October 7, name someone who is no longer the manager of the team he managed at the start of the season.
  29. Name a player with at least 30 home runs.
  30. Name a player with at least 100 RBI.
  31. Name a pitcher with at least 15 wins.
  32. Name a pitcher with at least 200 strikeouts.
  33. TIEBREAKER: Name a rookie-eligible player who appeared in at least 60 games.

Last edited by davidh777; 03-16-16 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-26-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: 2016 MLB Season-long Peehs (Reverse Sheep): Game 3

In!
Old 02-26-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. Please start another game. I had fun last year.
Old 02-26-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll participate poorly!
Old 02-26-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in
Old 02-26-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're up for it I am in.
Old 02-26-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Definitely would be in.
Old 02-26-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes. Yes!
Old 02-26-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

In.

If I didn't play, who would match all of Rob V's answers?
Old 02-26-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, it seems like we at least have the regulars returning, which should be good enough to support a game. Let me know if you have question ideas.
Old 02-26-16, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's ok to only use Mets players as answers, then sure I'm in!
Old 02-26-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hadrian7 View Post
If it's ok to only use Mets players as answers, then sure I'm in!
Totally! DaveNinja and starman9000 have had great success with the homer-pick strategy!
Old 02-28-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question ideas:

Dump the manager firing one at the end of the year. There aren't that many guys that get fired and the potential answer pool is very small.

Change the pitcher complete game one to a team shutout question. I'm talking about this question from last year:

As of May 24, name a pitcher who has thrown a complete game.
Pitchers rarely throw CG anymore, and they are less likely to do it in May.

Oh and I'm sure whether or not you want to eliminate the player on DL question since it is so easy to get a unique.
Old 02-29-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
Question ideas:

Dump the manager firing one at the end of the year. There aren't that many guys that get fired and the potential answer pool is very small.

Change the pitcher complete game one to a team shutout question. I'm talking about this question from last year:

Pitchers rarely throw CG anymore, and they are less likely to do it in May.

Oh and I'm sure whether or not you want to eliminate the player on DL question since it is so easy to get a unique.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure I talked last year about fixing or killing the DL question.

Interesting point about the managers.

The CG vs. team point might depend on how easy it is to score. I'll try to review last year's results to see where the timing or thresholds of questions were off. Of course, things can vary widely from year to year, but there might be some general trends that can help.
Old 02-29-16, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm fine with the manager firing question, but I think the deadline should be a few days after the season ends.

The DL question would be fine, if the player is required to actually play before being assigned to the DL. You can pick someone already on the DL, but for it to be correct, he will have to be activated, participate in at least one game, and then go back on the DL before the cutoff date.
Old 03-02-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Recording some of my notes to myself during last year's game. Maybe this year I should just put them in the first post of the game so I don't have to go back through all those answers and spoiler tags.

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
The funny thing is that all but two players already have this one correct. It's an easy question so it's just matter of whether you had the bad luck to match someone or to hitch your wagon to a bust. Maybe next year it should be TWO homers.

Unique corrects get a zero. Correct matches get a number of points equal to the number of people who gave that answer. Incorrects get the most popular answer plus the total number of incorrect responses.

Spoiler:
So everyone gets a zero. Questions where you know you're right when you submit are problematic enough, but when the question is so broad that you have a good chance of not matching, it doesn't make for a very interesting game. Heck, even the homer question had a little suspense and one match. I think this will need to be revised or replaced next year.
Spoiler:

It was a little early, but last year at this time we already had six guys with two CGs plus Cueto with three. This year Miller is the only one with two, while nine other guys have one each, but who would've guessed CC Sabathia or Jered Weaver, or a bunch of guys I've never heard of?
Last year a competitive balance pick was ruled incorrect. However, I'm looking at MLB's draft order, and it says:

http://m.mlb.com/draft/2015/order

That makes it sound like MLB considers the competitive balance picks as part of the first round. It doesn't say "six additional picks following the end of the first round."

On the other hand, I'm looking at MLB's draft history, and they clearly include the compensatory round as part of round 1, but then designate the competitive balance selections as "CBA."

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/history/draft/draft.jsp#

Here's a story on MLB.com about the CBA.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/859236...12-draft-picks

Clearly this question needs to be better defined if it's used in the future, but for now I think I'd say that compensatory round counts, but competitive balance round does not. Thoughts welcome, of course.
9. As of June 78, name a player selected in the first round of the MLB draft.

As previously discussed*, compensatory round selections will be considered correct for this question, but competitive balance picks will not. Besides, who can take competitive balance seriously when the Cards are getting a pick, for pete's sake.

*"Discussion" meaning the SM threw out an idea and no one argued.
Last year's equivalent question was a bloodbath, so I dropped the threshold from .310 to .300, but we'll see if it makes a difference.

We didn't have an ERA question last year, but apparently 3.00 was too aggressive. 3.20 wouldn't have made much difference; 3.50 would have, but it seems like a mediocre threshold in these days where pitching dominates.
Unique corrects get a zero. Correct matches get a number of points equal to the number of people who gave that answer. Incorrects get the most popular answer plus the total number of incorrect responses.

Spoiler:
So zero for ~~PAL~~, and 14 for everyone else. Not quite the bloodbath of the previous question, but almost. And it also means only one player moves up in the standings.

Spoiler:
Standings after Q19:

Yep, there were 21 possible correct answers this year, compared to 16 last year when the threshold was .310. This question would need some more tweaking in future games. I actually wonder if averages would be higher earlier in the year.

And the scoring decision cost starman and OWJ an extra 12 points, as they would have had matching corrects, and it gave everyone else two extra points for the incorrects.

20. As of August 23, name a player who has been hit by a pitch at least 10 times.

There are 18 possible correct answers, and in 2014 26 players were HBP at least 10 times over the whole season. This question could probably also use a threshold adjustment in any future games.

24. As of September 20, name a pitcher who has thrown at least 200 innings.

There are 11 possible correct answers, plus 13 others who reached 190. Just noting this for future games.

25. As of September 27, name a player who has stolen at least 30 bases.

Interestingly, there were only six possible correct answers. In 2014, 15 players stole at least 30 bases.

Spoiler:
So zero for Roenicke, and 14 for everyone else. Not only was Roenicke a unique correct, but it was the only correct answer of the question!

Old 03-03-16, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question/maybe suggestion: Are we sticking with the Mariners HR question again this year? It might be more interesting if we went with another team since the Mariners don't seem as offensively inept this year.
Old 03-03-16, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 View Post
Question/maybe suggestion: Are we sticking with the Mariners HR question again this year? It might be more interesting if we went with another team since the Mariners don't seem as offensively inept this year.
The previous year we had Astros and Cardinals questions so expect it to change again this year.
Old 03-03-16, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

The previous year we had Astros and Cardinals questions so expect it to change again this year.
Brewers or Phillies both seem like good choices.
Old 03-03-16, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have not done this before, but I'll give it a shot
Old 03-16-16, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Questions have been added to the OP. We'll see how this year's tweaks go.
Old 03-25-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

answers sent!
Old 03-26-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Answers sent
Old 03-27-16, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answers sent
Old 03-28-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

sent my answers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.