Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2016 Tennis Thread

Old 01-14-16, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2016 Tennis Thread

The draw is out for my favorite tournament of the year.

The top half of the men's draw has potentially:
1. Djokovic vs. 7. Nishikori
3. Federer vs. 6. Berdych

Bottom half:
5. Nadal vs. 4. Wawrinka
8. Ferrer vs. 2. Murray

Can't wait...
Old 01-14-16, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 2016 Tennis Thread

I like the AUS Open too, there are always a handful of entertaining, high quality matches (I still occasionally think of that Roddick vs El Aynaoui match from like 2003), but the end results will be the same. Serena and Djokovic will win. *yawn*
Old 01-14-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hoping for a surprise, like Wawrinka in 2014. Better yet, let Fed win another one. Yes, the Aussie Open has had some classics. Those Djokovic-Wawrinka 5 setters recently were high quality too.
Old 01-15-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hard to see Djokovic losing but who knows, he's due for a loss/upset.

Serena won't win, fitness/injury issues. Pulled out of Hopman cup last week and hasn't played an official WTA match since the US Open. Heck, she could lose to Giorgi in the 1st round.

I'm expecting a good year from Garbine Muguruza who's now ranked #3.

Hopefully, the Canucks have a rebound year. Good start for Milos beating Fed in Brisbane, and Genie is in the final in Hobart.
Old 01-18-16, 12:13 PM

Are any big names among the rumoured core of 15 players suspected of match fixing? del Potro?
Old 01-18-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The number of players seem to vary based on where you read the reports. Seems like this was a BBC story, and will air Tuesday night. I don't think the BBC would expose any names in the media, but if it is real that a "cache of documents" exist, then it is only a matter of time that the names will get leaked. Also kind of confusing who is implicated, because on the one hand, a report is stating that most of the activity does not involve leading players, but "grand slam winners are alleged to be implicated." Not hard to name the male slam winners since 2007; there have been only 7.

This will get more interesting for sure.

edit: Not sure if the involvement of GS winners means winner since 2007, or prior winners who had suspicious activity after 2007... because that would widen the net quite a bit.

Last edited by Autotelik; 01-18-16 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Are any big names among the rumoured core of 15 players suspected of match fixing? del Potro?
Considering how early he was doing good on tour and won a GS it would be strange if it was him at all. My gut is telling me if it's a recent GS champ it is Cilic or someone who won a Slam in doubles.
Old 01-19-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Nadal drew a tough first round opponent and paid the price---went down in 5.
Old 01-19-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I assume Azarenka is the Grand Slam winner on the list, as she was on the 2011 list that came from a Swedish tabloid:

The first list was the Tennis Integrity Unit's blacklist in 2011, the others were suspects.
Old 01-19-16, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, tough first round opponent there for Rafa. Just when his fans thought this could be his sort of comeback year, given how he looked in the second half of 2015.
Old 01-19-16, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught Nadal's disaster as it was happening. Verdasco's game does match up fairly well with Nadal's game but that was Nadal's match to win or lose. He would have simply willed Verdasco off the court a few years ago.

I don't even view Nadal as a serious threat to win the French Open at this point. His best days are clearly behind him unless he starts doping. Everyone said his physical style of play would eventually catch up with him and I guess they were right. I think his decent stretch after the US Open was a mirage.
Old 01-20-16, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone who hits hard and flat, plays aggressively and goes for winners has always caused problems for Nadal. He just doesn't have the footspeed anymore to defend against those types. Defensive counterpunchers have never aged well.
Old 01-20-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is a good piece on the match-fixing scandal.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35325473

Davydenko is heavily implicated as almost assuredly throwing matches even in his prime. A shame since he was one of my favorite players to watch play but these rumors have been floating around for years. It looks like the ATP/WTA knew this was happening all along because the European betting patterns on pro tennis looked far more suspicious than any other sport. Bookmakers had informed the tour years ago.

Djokovic was apparently offered $200,000 by some Russian to throw a 2007 match but refused. I would imagine virtually all of the European players have been offered to throw matches at some point in their careers.

Considering how long the ATP sat on this information, it lends serious credence to the belief they've covered up doping results for the top players as well.
Old 01-22-16, 07:00 AM

A player can test positive for PEDs and merely get a suspension, like Cilic did.
Old 01-23-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This Australian Open hasn't really produced any electrifying matches yet. We've had a lot of predictable results and few genuine surprises.
Old 01-23-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
This Australian Open hasn't really produced any electrifying matches yet. We've had a lot of predictable results and few genuine surprises.
Tonight's Sharapova/Bencic match had the potential to be quite good but it was very sloppy. And Nishikori just made Tsonga his bitch.

The head of the USTA was interviewed on The Tennis Channel earlier and asked a perfunctory question about the bribing scandal and she gave a pretty dismissive answer that would not convince anyone with two brain cells to rub together.
Old 01-23-16, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those in tennis have apparently been told to deny, deny, deny that match fixing is a serious problem. I understand why, it seriously threatens the integrity of the sport and undermines the public's faith in tennis results.
Old 01-23-16, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Much ado about nothing imho. The so-called evidence dates back to 2007 from what I understand.
Old 01-23-16, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nishikori and Raonic are playing well. Will be interesting to see how they hold up against Djokovic (should beat Simon) and Wawrinka.

I saw Raonic's last couple of matches and the improvement is noticeable. Still has the big serve/forehand, but he lost weight, moves better, returns better and can now hold his own in baseline rallies without feeling the need to try to hit a winner after 3-4 shots. Instead of hitting hard and flat all the time, he uses more topspin on both backhand and forehand to stay in rallies and wait for the right opportunities. Looks like the switch to Carlos Moya is paying dividends.

Women's side is still a mess. No top 10 player left in the bottom of the draw aside from Kerber.
Old 01-24-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Djokovic (should beat Simon)
That was in some doubt there for awhile. I stayed up to watch the end of the second set and just finished watching the rest. If Simon had a little more mph on his groundies or the ability to get more free points on his serve, he would have probably won that match. What a great match that was.

Women's side is still a mess. No top 10 player left in the bottom of the draw aside from Kerber.
Yup, the total number of men's roung of 16 matches that featured two seeds were seven. On the women's side, it was one.

That said, two of Serena's biggest threats are not in the top ten; Vika and Keys.
Old 01-24-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dkokovic played like crap. I went to bed at 1-1 in the 4th and he already had 70 unforced errors
And it's not like Simon was doing anything special, just his usual human backboard thing. As you said, a more attacking player with a better serve/more pace on groundies would have won.
Old 01-24-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sad end to the Radwanska-Friedsam match. Friedsam is only 21 so hopefully we will see more from her. She has more game than Kerber and German women's tennis could use a new renaissance. I haven't seen Beck play yet.

Watching tape delay of the Gavrilova match. My dear God is this little girl fast on her feet.
Old 01-24-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Dkokovic played like crap. I went to bed at 1-1 in the 4th and he already had 70 unforced errors
And it's not like Simon was doing anything special, just his usual human backboard thing. As you said, a more attacking player with a better serve/more pace on groundies would have won.
Djokovic played about as poorly as he can these days. He kept dumping drop shots into the net and inexplicably decided to play counter-puncher for two sets with possibly the best counter-puncher on the tour. Watching the Simon match was like water torture when Djokovic decided to shelve his forehand.

If there is one chink left in Djokovic's game as #1, he's prone to get befuddled when his first plan of attack isn't working. He has a hard time adjusting his strategy on the fly.
Old 01-24-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Compared to Berdych vs Bautista Agut, Simon and Djokovich looked like they were playing in slow motion.

And I just saw the stats, Djokovic ended up with 100 UE's.
Old 01-24-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm halfway through the second set and Raonic does look a lot better than last year. Pretty impressive in fact.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.