Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2016 Tennis Thread

Old 01-25-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: 2016 Tennis Thread

For what seemed liked upset after upset upset on the womens side 5 of the 8 QF players are ranked in the top 10 and the 6th highest ranked is 14th ranked Azarenka who has 2 AO titles.

Interestingly enough the 2 unranked players play each other for a semi spot. 1 (Zhang)has never won a GS singles match until this tournament and the other one made the r16 here last year but has 0 career wins in the other 3 Grand Slams. That said Konta looked pretty impressive against Vee in the first round and is one of those players who when she was younger people thought would be a top 20 player. I guess it just takes some to the "old" age of 24 to start putting it together nowadays.
Old 01-25-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the era of tennis prodigies younger than college age appearing and dominating the tour is over. The amount of fitness training needed to reach the top ranks takes a few years these days. The athletes are just that much better at the top.
Old 01-25-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Borna Coric could make some noise this year. He turned 19 in November and is already ranked 33. Also maybe that German kid Alexander Zverev. He won't turn 19 until April and he's ranked 83.
Old 01-25-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Death, taxes, and Serena kicking Sharapova's ass. I can't recall another matchup between two elite opponents that is so one sided.
Old 01-25-16, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Death, taxes, and Serena kicking Sharapova's ass. I can't recall another matchup between two elite opponents that is so one sided.
The first set was still entertaining to watch, Serena was really cracking her forehand.

Sharapova must be the most stubborn player on the planet. One of her coaches should have taught her a slice or something to introduce some variety against Serena. Sharapova's groundstrokes go right into Serena's nitro zone.
Old 01-26-16, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didnt give Serena much chance in this tourney either considering shes been injured and basically hadn't played Tennis in since the US Open. But after that 1st match she has looked pretty damned good. And Sharapova is gonna Sharapova.
Old 01-26-16, 03:59 PM

Serena is the favorite until she isn't. She has no equal. I'm predicting a Williams vs Azarenka final. Sure Azarenka's ranking dropped, but that was because of injury. What was Serena's ranking when she finally came back after her health problems, in the 30s (maybe lower, can't remember)? I know she's getting older, but aside from maybe Azarenka, she has zero competition except herself.

Tonight's QF for the men is interesting, especially Raonic and Monfils. I'm thinking it will be a Murray vs Raonic semi, but who knows with Monfils. And Ferrer is looking mighty sharp too. The Federer vs Djokovic semi could be interesting, as I'd rather see Federer against him in a semi than in a final for some reason. Federer was hitting some amazing shots against Berdych, and while Djokovic wasn't really tested, he still might have an off day (though Federer is more prone to have one to be honest), but his 100 unforced error win against Simon proves he's simply the best (and at times luckiest; he makes his own luck with his talent and sheer will, of course).
Old 01-26-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Djokovic didn't look particularly sharp against Nishikori. Nishikori just happened to play one of the worst matches of his career at the wrong time. I was shocked to hear Djokovic admit he took the prior day off from tennis practice. A top-notch Nishikori would have given this Djokovic a great challenge.

I still don't see how Federer could beat Djokovic in a Grand Slam format.
Old 01-26-16, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well Fed can certainly beat him if Djokovic doesn't raise his level. Semi instead of final probably means less pressure on Fed. Night match/slower conditions favor Djokovic though, and I doubt he'll keep being this mediocre 3 matches in a row.

And the other screamer just got booted.
Old 01-26-16, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Not good news. She was the only one left that had any real chance of beating The Beast. Kerber deserved it, but she'll also turn into a bowl of jello as soon as she is on the court with Serena and lose 2 and 2.

However, I'm not so sure she will beat Konta in the semis if she wins tonight. Watched her play Makarova and she was impressive. She moves like a cat and has pretty good groundies and serving.
Old 01-26-16, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was bizarre how ESPN was running all these grunting factoids during the Sharapova match. Odd tidbits like how many decibels her grunts hit and what musical note they make.
Old 01-27-16, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Djokovic didn't look particularly sharp against Nishikori. Nishikori just happened to play one of the worst matches of his career at the wrong time. I was shocked to hear Djokovic admit he took the prior day off from tennis practice. A top-notch Nishikori would have given this Djokovic a great challenge.

I still don't see how Federer could beat Djokovic in a Grand Slam format.
Fed has to win the first two sets. If he doesn't, he's toast. Like another comment already made, it's a semi, so there may be less pressure. Roger didn't look like he has peaked yet this tournament, but neither has Djokovic. Won't be surprised one way or the other.
Old 01-27-16, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I, for one, will be surprised if Federer wins. Though I'm rooting for him to take at least one more major, I won't waste my time watching and seeing him choke another one away.
Old 01-27-16, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm as big a Federer fan as anyone (think I've made that obvious over the years here), but I would be genuinely shocked if he won the tournament. Even if he manages a surprising win against Djokovic, I think he'd stumble against Raonic or Murray in the final.
Old 01-27-16, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I'm as big a Federer fan as anyone (think I've made that obvious over the years here), but I would be genuinely shocked if he won the tournament. Even if he manages a surprising win against Djokovic, I think he'd stumble against Raonic or Murray in the final.
His recent record against Murray is quite good, including in Slams. However, Murray's one relatively recent win at a Slam was in 5 sets. He is very unlikely to have gone five against Djoko the prior match and gotten through anyway so if he can keep it to 4 sets or less, I would like his odds against Murray also. He shouldn't be that tired from the semi. Five sets in either and he is probably done.

Raonic is the X factor here. I'm glad he got through as he has sprinkled some intrigue into what might have otherwise been a repetitious set of men's semis.
Old 01-27-16, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Go Milos!
Old 01-27-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Go Milos!

As I said, Milos has improved considerably and he has shed the "servebot" label. He plays a much more complete game now.
Old 01-27-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who would you be more surprised to see win this? Raonic or Fed? I'd like to see Fed win another slam, but I would be more surprised if he won it all than seeing Raonic win it. Still think Novak will win this easily though.
Old 01-27-16, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Autotelik View Post
Who would you be more surprised to see win this? Raonic or Fed? I'd like to see Fed win another slam, but I would be more surprised if he won it all than seeing Raonic win it. Still think Novak will win this easily though.
I'd be very surprised if Raonic beats Murray. He's just not there yet, but maybe Murray will have an off day.
Old 01-27-16, 06:49 PM

As I said, Milos has improved considerably and he has shed the "servebot" label. He plays a much more complete game now.
Now he needs to work on his voice. He still speaks like a robot. He makes Murray look like Mr. Personality.
Old 01-27-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

C'mon Agnieszka!
Old 01-27-16, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I expect a Murray-Djokovic Final. I haven't seen enough of Murray this tournament to opine on a potential winner.
Old 01-27-16, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is borderline murder
Old 01-27-16, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Murray hasn't beaten Djokovic in a Slam since Wimbledon 2013. He's 9-21 against him overall. The rivalry is on par and as one sided as the Federer/Nadal one. Sure, he's got a chance, but he'll likely lose.
Old 01-27-16, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
This is borderline murder
She held serve, so there's hope (little, but some).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.