Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

2016 NFL Off-Season Thread

Old 01-13-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 2016 NFL Off-Season Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Well, the Bengals do seem to have a knack for getting their asst. coaches hired as head coaches elsewhere...
Not just the Bengals (See HC's in JAC and ATL)

Speaking of that, now that it's clear SEA has more on offense then just Beast Mode it will be interesting to see they lose their OC this year.
Old 01-13-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BearFan View Post
In the US, the San Antonio area would make the most sense ... big market (when you combine it with Austin and surrounding towns). There is a race track and outdoor shed semi between the two cities with a ton of open land nearby, maybe not a mad spot for a stadium to draw from both cities.
Does make the most sense, but Jerrah (and to a much lesser impact, the Texans front office) would never let it happen.
Old 01-13-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Not just the Bengals (See HC's in JAC and ATL)

Speaking of that, now that it's clear SEA has more on offense then just Beast Mode it will be interesting to see they lose their OC this year.
I didn't even realize until now that Lewis, Zimmer, and Gruden all won their divisions and all lost last weekend.

I really hope Carson Palmer breaks the curse the organization put on him too...
Old 01-13-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Little news on the Chargers front.

City ready to work deal. Chargers (Spanos, through Fabiani mouthpiece) says they wont look at Mission Valley (Current stadium location) as a possibility. They want Downtown. First thing that comes out of their mouths this morning. Pathetic.

Stubborn mother fucker. First off, I'm sick of getting statements through Fabiani. Dean is spineless and cant even put out statements on his own.
Second. San Diego doesn't own the land they want to put the stadium on! You have the port land as well as the MTS depot and parking lot. The amount of work and money needed to get that ready would put the project into the millions. You would have to do so much moving around. Locate another area in the small area that is left in downtown, to build a new MTS station. They say the Mission Valley site isn't viable, a downtown location is even further from viable!
It's starting to look like Spanos knows this and a way for him to look like the good guy when he leaves. So he can say he wanted to stay but didnt get the location he wanted.
The Mission Valley spot is perfectly central to all in San Diego. Downtown would create the worse traffic in history. The LA 405 wouldn't even touch it when it comes to backups.

At this point I say fuck it. Just leave already.
Old 01-13-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
In what, 40 years? In the case of the NFC east, you are talking about decades. It's one of the primary reasons if not the only reason when the NFL realigned in four divisions, Dallas stayed in the East.

I mean, why not just separate out the teams into general geographic areas and assign conferences by drawing names out of a hat?
I'm not in favor of using a hat, just a map.

It also takes far less than 40 years for two good teams to become a rivalry when they play each other twice a year, and potentially again in the playoffs. I suspect there are also a lot of young fans looking many of these supposed "rivalry" games that get scheduled in prime time and wonder who the hell still considers that match up prime time worthy. Sometimes older guys like me need to realize the fan base in bigger than us.
Old 01-13-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't even realize until now that Lewis, Zimmer, and Gruden all won their divisions and all lost last weekend.

I really hope Carson Palmer breaks the curse the organization put on him too...

I must have missed something. What is the connection?
Old 01-13-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Looks like Wisenhunt is back to SD as OC: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-coordinator/
Old 01-13-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I must have missed something. What is the connection?
All 3 coached in Cincinnati on Lewis' staff. Palmer played in Cincinnati although I'm not sure if he played under Lewis.
Old 01-13-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Looks like Wisenhunt is back to SD as OC: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-coordinator/
He's actually OK as an OC. It's when he becomes a head coach that you have to worry about him getting his qb's killed with the amount of sacks they take.
Old 01-13-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Finally, the player news LurkerDan was hoping for!

oh, wait

Old 01-13-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, just like McCoy!

I'm actually good with him being the OC. I mean, he cant do worse than Reich, right?
Old 01-13-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
All 3 coached in Cincinnati on Lewis' staff. Palmer played in Cincinnati although I'm not sure if he played under Lewis.
I thought that could be it given you included Palmer, but I wasn't sure both Zimmer and Gruden had come from CIN. I think they are really going to regret letting Zimmer get away. Despite the loss, Zimmer impressed the hell out of me as a coach last week. He fixed everything they did wrong on defense in the first meeting and had the perfect game plan to shut down SEA. He just needs more than AP on offense.
Old 01-13-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Palmer was drafted in 2003. Lewis became head coach in 2003. It's still amazing to me how long he's been there.

Lewis has no playoff wins. None. Same with Palmer. Zimmer and Gruden carry on the tradition...
Old 01-13-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are the Rams moving to LA effective immediately? Or will they have a lame duck season or two in St. Louis to wait for the new stadium to get built?

Personally I think the best option is to just take a map, and given the current team locations, say each 4 team division must be be grouped in such a way that each division has the least travel time for each team.
Does travel really matter that much for football? It's not like the NBA or NHL where teams often play 3 or 4 games a week, often on back-to-back nights; and it's not like minor league baseball where players take a bus to get to the game.
Old 01-13-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They gone.
Old 01-13-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Rams are moving immediately to the LA Colliseum (where USC plays), right?

Travel matters when you have horrid Thursday Night Football games...
Old 01-13-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post

Does travel really matter that much for football? It's not like the NBA or NHL where teams often play 3 or 4 games a week, often on back-to-back nights; and it's not like minor league baseball where players take a bus to get to the game.
According to Seahawks fans travel matters a hell of a lot...except to the actual players that actually play the game.
Old 01-13-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to Seahawks fans travel matters a hell of a lot...except to the actual players that actually play the game.
Actually the Rams used to have it much worse. And years ago before the changes, the Saints.

If one is going to compare sports, of course the travel issues in the NFL don't measure up. But it's crazy to imply that just because something isn't AS bad as something else, it isn't worthy of fixing. It would be pretty easy to make most of the divisional travel in the NFL far more equal.
Old 01-13-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Rams are moving immediately to the LA Colliseum (where USC plays), right?

Travel matters when you have horrid Thursday Night Football games...
Yes. Rose Bowl already said No and there is no other football complex in Southern California with enough seats. Stubhub Center in Carson where the LA Galaxy play only seats 27,000.
Old 01-13-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dunno if it was mentioned, but speaking of the Rams, former draft bust Lawrence Phillips was found dead in his cell this morning.

Edit: I see there's a separate thread.

Last edited by shizawn; 01-13-16 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-13-16, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
I don't understand the desire for realignment. Sure, a team traveling from Seattle to St. Louis every year for a division game is sorta crap, but that's done. I'm sure you aren't concerned about the pocketbooks of the teams with added travel expenses...outside of KC, are there two time zones separating any others?
Neither do I. The teams aren't traveling by steam locomotive. Good grief.
Old 01-13-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah and I even heard they give the players real jobs when they aren't playing!
Old 01-13-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't see any need for realignment. And the networks would never go for breaking Dallas away from the NFCE.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Lost in all of this relocation news is that Antonio Cromartie and his 5 year old vasectomy scar will need to learn the names of two more kids which his wife will be giving birth to in a few months.
Old 01-13-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if he and Rivers had a bet going on or something. Looks like Cromartie is cheating

=============================================

St. Louis mayor: No interest in trying again on NFL

ST. LOUIS (AP) The NFL is abandoning St. Louis again, and this time, the mayor has no interest in trying to bring pro football back.

League owners voted Tuesday to allow the Rams to move to Los Angeles starting next season. It means that St. Louis is losing a team for the second time in three decades. The Cardinals left for Arizona in 1987, and St. Louis was without football until the Rams arrived from Los Angeles in 1995.
St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay has had enough, saying the NFL strung St. Louis advocates along while never intending to block Kroenke's move. The decision "sent a loud and clear message."

"Their home cities and hometown fans are commodities to be abandoned once they no longer suit the league's purposes," Slay said Wednesday.

Asked if he believes the city should pursue another team, Slay gave a definitive no.

"At this point I'm so frustrated and disappointed with the NFL," Slay said. "Why would anybody want to, in any way, even entertain any suggestions from the NFL after the way they dealt with St. Louis here? I mean, it was dishonest. They were not being truthful with us. There's no appetite that I have to take another run at an NFL team."
Old 01-13-16, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

@Alex_Flanagan: NFL has framework of a stadium deal between the rams/chargers. Chargers vetting it now and barring anything unforeseen, plan on going to LA

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.