Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The 2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Old 11-21-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The 2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

It looked like he may have suffered a neck injury or concussion(or both).
Old 11-21-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah his head looked a little too purple
Old 11-21-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved the way they shat on the Cruiserweights last night. When WCW did it at least we still know we had an hour or so at the start of the show to watch them try to get over. Now we get a 10 minute match with purple ropes and then about all they're featured.
Old 11-21-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Loved the way they shat on the Cruiserweights last night. When WCW did it at least we still know we had an hour or so at the start of the show to watch them try to get over. Now we get a 10 minute match with purple ropes and then about all they're featured.
In the first Pre-Show match, T.J. Perkins, Rich Swann and Noam Dar faced Drew Gulak, Tony Nese and Ariya Daivari. The match ended when Swann executed a Standing 450 Splash on Daivari to win the match.
Old 11-21-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another 6 man match that means nothing and doesn't advance any story line. They really need to put those 6 man matches to rest.
Old 11-21-16, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else notice Lana about to break character at Enzo's antics?
Old 11-21-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Broadcast team really put over Demolition tonight, it would have excited about the prospects of them going into the HOF this year if it wasn't for the fact that I'm pretty sure they are currently suing the WWE.
Old 11-21-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
Anyone else notice Lana about to break character at Enzo's antics?
yeah, I also noticed that even with the blurring, you could still tell he was wearing something.
Old 11-21-16, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe how over Goldberg has been since coming back. I thought for sure he'd get hijack booed. I guess WWE is doing something right for once. When what you want is nostalgia, all you gotta do is play the greatest hits. Which for Goldberg is theme song, BIG entance, no sell, spear, jackhammer, squash match.

Lets see if he can keep that momentum all the way to Mania. Gonna be tough.
Old 11-22-16, 12:40 AM

Thought the weekend was good.

The matches I thought would deliver did. The 2/3 falls match was especially good, although I didn't care for the outcome.

Survivor series felt like a fresh of breath air. Finally, we have something to care about. The 5/5 main event (before the main event match) was next level. It was nice to be reminded that the wwe has so many talented talents that are part of the main event picture that are worth while. It also sucked to see the next five years in the ring at the same time. Seriously, these guys and no one else?!?

Longing for the future as I'd rather see bayley beat anyone, nakamura v. Styles forever, American alpha v. Revival, etc.

I echo the sentiments that the revival can go in the ring. The best tag team since...hell, name me another whose been as good in the last decade. HHh sees it, hoping he can convince Vince to see it too.

Suck a dick dumbshits.

Last edited by david12; 11-22-16 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Forgot the tag line.
Old 11-22-16, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Broadcast team really put over Demolition tonight, it would have excited about the prospects of them going into the HOF this year if it wasn't for the fact that I'm pretty sure they are currently suing the WWE.
Is New Day on the verge of turning heel? They sorta cheated their way to a win vs Sheamus/Cesaro.

I don't think Demolition's name would be mentioned if New Day weren't going to pass them as longest running tag champs.
Old 11-23-16, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got to report on last night's Smackdown. WWE popped me into the second row. I'd never been that close before to a live event where, you know, Kane's pyro singes your eyebrows. It was pretty cool. My article is here:

http://bit.ly/2f5jL9Y
Old 11-25-16, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Woo! Bought tickets to see Pentagon Jr., Cody Rhodes & Joey Ryan at APW's next event near San Francisco in February!

Old 12-03-16, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man John Cena is really getting over as a mainstream celebrity/entertainer. He's gonna make his SNL hosting debut this month. Thats like the benchmark for crossing over and making it. It wouldn't surprise me if he follows in The Rock's footsteps and breaks away completely from just being a "wrestler".
Old 12-03-16, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man John Cena is really getting over as a mainstream celebrity/entertainer. He's gonna make his SNL hosting debut this month. Thats like the benchmark for crossing over and making it. It wouldn't surprise me if he follows in The Rock's footsteps and breaks away completely from just being a "wrestler".
He's usually good in his non-WWE appearances/roles. I thought he nailed it in the Amy Schumer comedy "Trainwreck".

I'm hardly watching WWE these days, but Lucha Underground continues to have a strong season. I'm really not sure how the various storylines are going to go, or even who will win any particular match ... and that's a very good thing. Take Pentagon's "gauntlet" match. In WWE, a gauntlet match always runs through to the very last opponent the "underdog" has to face (just like every "best of" series goes the maximum number of matches). But in LU, as I'm fully expecting that scenario to play out Pentagon loses before they even get to the "leader" (who just comes out and breaks his arm to rub it in).

I didn't watch the match, but I guess WWE's Goldberg/Lesnar match did that too. Every once in while, shows should do something truly unexpected. And I don't mean upsets everyone can see coming (like James Ellsworth beating AJ Styles in a ladder match thanks to interference by Dean Ambrose).
Old 12-03-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I kinda doubt that, though. He's railed against the Rock (nonsensically) for doing that and he's always seemed to toe the company line no matter what, plus he just loves wrestling. I think he has the talent for it (he's been great in stuff like Parks and Rec) but he's always said he's a wrestler first.
Old 12-03-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

'Superfly' Jimmy Snuka Terminal Cancer ... 6 Months to Live

WWE legend Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka is in bad shape ... with his doctor claiming his stomach cancer is terminal and he only has 6 months to live.

73-year-old Snuka Skype'd into a court hearing in his murder case from his hospice in Florida -- and during the hearing, his doctor dropped the bombshell about his health.
Snuka's doctor said he's been suffering from a bunch of infections and his prognosis isn't good.

As for the murder case, Snuka is accused of killing his then-girlfriend, Nancy Argentino, back in 1983.

The judge had previously declared Snuka not mentally competent to stand trial. Friday's hearing was an update to see if his mental state had changed ... but no official decision was made.
Old 12-04-16, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I kinda doubt that, though. He's railed against the Rock (nonsensically) for doing that and he's always seemed to toe the company line no matter what, plus he just loves wrestling. I think he has the talent for it (he's been great in stuff like Parks and Rec) but he's always said he's a wrestler first.
yeah, but he's also 40 years old and isn't the face of the company anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if he started working a schedule similar to Chris Jericho where he works for 7-8 months then leaves to do other things, whether its movies, tv etc. I think he's on the home stretch when it comes to the days of him being a fulltime wrestler.
Old 12-04-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cena is way too much of a vagina douche to ever reach the Rocks level of stardom.
Old 12-05-16, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm kinda surprised by the outcome of the Becky Lynch match. Has she just not been getting the fan reaction lately or something?
Old 12-05-16, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it has to do with fan reaction. They just like to hot shot certain belts around. The seem to want to keep Nikki Bella out of the title picture so there is really no credible female on Smackdown to take Lynch down so of course that means they have to take the belt off of her for a bit.
Old 12-05-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I'm kinda surprised by the outcome of the Becky Lynch match. Has she just not been getting the fan reaction lately or something?
I think it had more to do with establishing a headline feud for that division on that show. Becky's mic skills still need alot of work too. If Alexa can bring up Becky's promo work and Becky can bring up Alexa's in ring work then everybody wins.
Old 12-05-16, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The James Ellsworth storyline has long since been worn out. Ugh.
Old 12-05-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Worse you could see it coming a mile away. I'm looking at the clock wondering when Ellsworth is going to come out and then wondering when the swerve was going to happen.

New feuds are needed for Styles and Miz desperately. Maybe drop Ambrose down to the IC title picture but I don't know how they elevate to challenge Styles except for Super Cena. And please don't say Ziggler...ugh.
Old 12-05-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe they tread water on Styles opponents until Samoa Joe?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.