DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/629284-2015-2016-nba-regular-season-thread.html)

EinCB 10-27-15 12:30 PM

The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

A little less than 7 hours to go until the NBA season starts!
A couple of things of importance for all NBA enthusiasts...

1. LeBron James and Derrick Rose will be playing tonight. Kyrie Irving, Mike Dunleavy and Iman Shumpert will not.

2. Steve Kerr is still rehabilitating his back. Luke Walton will take over coaching duties for now.

3. Craig Sager will be back on the sidelines. :thumbsup:

There will be a pre-game show today on TNT at 7 E.T. in Oakland. The doubleheader will be the Cavaliers at the Bulls followed by the Pelicans at the Warriors.

So, what are your thoughts for the upcoming season? Who will win MVP? DPOY? Rookie of the Year? Coach of the Year? What will Kobe's field goal percentage be? :p

R.I.P., Flip!

LurkerDan 10-27-15 12:56 PM

Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

I would have put the Bulls in the poll over the Hawks. Because really, the Hawks? Not happening. Not happening for the Bulls either, but at least they have the theoretical firepower.

Still, I think the Cavs take it. The fact that they really only have to win one, maybe two, series to get a title, vs 4 out west, is too huge a difference. And they have as much talent as anyone.

fumanstan 10-27-15 01:35 PM

Voted for the Spurs to win this year.

Going to the Lakers opening night tomorrow!

jacob_b 10-27-15 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan (Post 12629282)
I would have put the Bulls in the poll over the Hawks. Because really, the Hawks? Not happening. Not happening for the Bulls either, but at least they have the theoretical firepower.

Still, I think the Cavs take it. The fact that they really only have to win one, maybe two, series to get a title, vs 4 out west, is too huge a difference. And they have as much talent as anyone.

Hawks had a better record and advanced further than the Bulls last year. Besides a new coach, what did the Bulls do over the offseason to jump them over the Hawks?

Agreed that the Cavs have a cakewalk, but Spurs are deep. With a healthy team, it is theirs to lose. I don't like the Warriors losing Lee (though, as a Boston fan, it is nice for them) for basically nothing when they could use him against the Clippers and Spurs.

Goat3001 10-27-15 02:06 PM

I voted "other" because I didn't see the Knicks in the poll. Glaring oversight.

EinCB 10-27-15 02:14 PM

I simply don't believe in the Bulls. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost the opener! It's the Cavaliers, then there's everyone else in the Eastern Conference. The only thing that can prevent LeBron from reaching the Finals is a season ending injury and maybe another E.C. team will reach the Finals.

LurkerDan 10-27-15 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by jacob_b (Post 12629363)
Hawks had a better record and advanced further than the Bulls last year. Besides a new coach, what did the Bulls do over the offseason to jump them over the Hawks?

Agreed that the Cavs have a cakewalk, but Spurs are deep. With a healthy team, it is theirs to lose. I don't like the Warriors losing Lee (though, as a Boston fan, it is nice for them) for basically nothing when they could use him against the Clippers and Spurs.

Hawks lost Carroll for one. But it's not as simple as "what happened last year" for these things. I simply think there is zero chance that the Hawks could win the title. The Bulls, with a lineup of Rose, Butler, Gasol, Noah, etc, at least have a theoretical shot if everything breaks right for them.

And the title is the Spurs to lose? Do you even watch basketball? :lol: Believing they will win is one thing, treating them like a big favorite is another. The Warriors won 67 games last year and won the title, and while they did lose Lee, he didn't play significant minutes for them last year. They did get lucky re health last year and certainly picking a different team to win is understandable (I didn't pick them either), but the Spurs are certainly not prohibitive favorites.

Originally Posted by the General (Post 12629388)
I simply don't believe in the Bulls. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost the opener! It's the Cavaliers, then there's everyone else in the Eastern Conference. The only thing that can prevent LeBron from reaching the Finals is a season ending injury and maybe another E.C. team will reach the Finals.

I agree re the Cavs, and also agree re the Bulls. If the question was to name which team had the best chance of reaching the EC finals (before losing to the Cavs), I would say the Hawks. I just happen to think that the Bulls have a higher ceiling if everything goes perfectly than the Hawks. Though neither is beating the Cavs.

Decker 10-27-15 04:36 PM

It's the Cavs' year. Cleveland deserves it as well.

They'll coast through the regular season, end up at 55-27 while resting LeBron, Kyrie and K-Love as much as they can. Then they'll go on a tear through the East while the Western Conference teams beat themselves into a bloody pulp in one seven-game series after another. The Cavs will be healthy and ready by the time the Finals come along and close the deal this time

EinCB 10-27-15 06:30 PM

I think next year James will be 2 for 7 in NBA Finals. Kevin Love barely has any playoff experience and Kyrie barely played in the NBA Finals. Who knows what they can bring?

Here are predictions from Yahoo Sports:

A little over half-hour to go!

fumanstan 10-27-15 06:49 PM

I don't think any city "deserves" a title :p

EinCB 10-27-15 08:38 PM

There's a free trial for NBA League Pass until November 3rd if anyone is interested. Here is a link with additional dates for the other free trials.

http://leaguepasssupport.nba.com/lin...15-2016-season

jacob_b 10-27-15 11:02 PM

Even with a "healthy" Bulls team, Noah and Rose just aren't what they used to be years ago. Nikola looks good, but still needs time. We can all agree that no one is going to give the Cavs much trouble, but Hawks will be better than the Bulls.

And that is why I hate Yahoo. OKC, ugh. 2nd round exit. With the addition of both LaMarcus AND West along with keeping their core, the West is theirs. Warriors are a great team. And anyone saying they got lucky, well what team doesn't get lucky by being healthy and getting hot at the right time? I just don't see it happening two years in a row. Lee may not have played much in the season, but in the playoffs, he came up big when he played. Timmy is getting his 6th and forget Kobe, Timmy is the player of that era.

EinCB 10-27-15 11:35 PM

I wish I was as optimistic as you are. I don't think the Spurs will win the championship, but I won't be unhappy if I'm proven wrong!

Red Hood 10-27-15 11:40 PM

The Bulls have a deep bench this year, but they need a consistent SG/SF who can score off the bench. Right now, none of those guys are consistent enough. I was surprised Portis didn't play after an excellent pre-season. Also, it seems that Noah is pretty much out of the regular rotation and I think he will see less minutes once Dunleavy comes in and they play small ball with Gasol, Gibson or Mirotic. It's truly a season of change for the Bulls as Butler seems to be the one who will do most of the scoring, Rose is supposed to transition to more of a traditional point guard and Noah has been replaced by Mirotic in the starting lineup. It seems that Hinrich won't see as much playing time this year with Brooks and Moore taking over the backup guard spots and Snell and McDermott getting more minutes this year.

LurkerDan 10-28-15 10:34 AM

Of the true contenders, I am definitely rooting for the Spurs. Would love for Timmay to get another one and show that he's the true best player of this era.

EinCB 10-28-15 08:06 PM

Let's go, Spurs! :banana:

DJariya 10-28-15 10:45 PM

Lakers look good in the 1st half.

So far Kobe looks like he's playing under control.

Towns for the Wolves had a good 1st half.

jacob_b 10-28-15 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan (Post 12630192)
Of the true contenders, I am definitely rooting for the Spurs. Would love for Timmay to get another one and show that he's the true best player of this era.

Exactly my thoughts.

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12630917)
Lakers look good in the 1st half.

So far Kobe looks like he's playing under control.

Towns for the Wolves had a good 1st half.

One of these teams had to look good. It's the two worst teams in the West last year playing each other lol.

Detroit Basketball might be back. Now that team looks good.

DJariya 10-29-15 12:05 AM

Terrible second half and even worse fourth quarter. However they're somehow still in it.

Rubio and Kevin Martin finally woke up their offense.

DJariya 10-29-15 12:10 AM

Ugh, shooting too many fucking threes. Kobe being Kobe again taking wild threes. They're shooting themselves in the foot.

DJariya 10-29-15 12:19 AM

Crap, Lou had a good look. Tough loss. Surprised a play wasn't designed for Kobe.

Well they shot themselves in the foot with that awful second half and fourth quarter.

Red Hood 10-29-15 12:19 AM

Kobe lost the game for the Lakers tonight. It's incredible, that after 20 years in the league, he hasn't mature to the point of not taking bad shots in the game and making good decisions in the clutch. By the way, he contradicted Byron Scott's decision to not call a time out.

DJariya 10-29-15 12:21 AM

They wasted 7-8 seconds in that last sequence letting Randle dribble up court instead of calling time out right away.

Kobe played mostly in control in the first half, but started taking too many threes.

JumpCutz 10-29-15 01:42 AM

Kobe. 24 shots. 24 points. Yikes. Lakers are going to be in trouble.

jacob_b 10-29-15 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 12630964)
Terrible second half and even worse fourth quarter. However they're somehow still in it.

Rubio and Kevin Martin finally woke up their offense.

The tradition of Rubio (and most PG's) killing the Lakers continue :lol: :lol: :lol:

3 for 13 on 3's. 8 for 24 (1 for 3) overall. I know Kobe will go down at some point this season, but I am going to enjoy him continue to throw up brick after brick. Good win tonight for the Wolves for Flip.