Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who will win the 2016 NBA Finals?
Atlanta Hawks
0%
Cleveland Cavaliers
11.76%
Golden State Warriors
54.90%
Houston Rockets
1.96%
Los Angeles Clippers
0%
Memphis Grizzlies
0%
Oklahoma City Thunder
1.96%
San Antonio Spurs
19.61%
Other (Please specify!)
9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Old 12-08-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Jerry Colangelo was hired by the Sixers because the other owners wanted to save the franchise from themselves?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14...-76ers-changes

Since the summer of 2014, NBA owners have been lobbying the league's front office to step in with regard to the direction of the Philadelphia 76ers, sources told ESPN.com on Monday night. It was that effort that helped lead to the hiring of Jerry Colangelo to a senior position earlier Monday, the sources said.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver was instrumental in forming the partnership between Colangelo and 76ers owner Joshua Harris, according to the sources.
Old 12-09-15, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kobe off the floor, Deangelo Russell leading the team back in the fourth, randle with another double double. Byron must be asleep at the wheel. He's got overtime to bench his rooks I guess.
Old 12-09-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

D'Angelo Russell has had a solid game tonight. Really surprised that Kobe's on the bench and DR got that game-tying shot.

Rough start in OT so far.
Old 12-09-15, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Crap, Russell lost his balance on that last play.

It was a fun game overall. I saw a lot of great potential for the Lakers future giving Randle and Russell all those minutes.
Old 12-09-15, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Jerry Colangelo was hired by the Sixers because the other owners wanted to save the franchise from themselves?

No one in basketball understands the Sixers management's plans. It's great to get a lot of first round draft picks, but if those picks aren't surrounded by veterans, the team will go nowhere.
Old 12-10-15, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
No one in basketball understands the Sixers management's plans. It's great to get a lot of first round draft picks, but if those picks aren't surrounded by veterans, the team will go nowhere.
Everyone in basketball understands the Sixers' plan:
It is much better to tank than it is to barely miss or make the playoffs each year. You might hit the lottery without tanking (see Steph Curry), but that is rare. Even in the Curry case, he is accompanied by the results of GSW tanking the last 30ish games of the season in 2012: Draymond Green and Harrison Barnes. Being a mediocre team in the NBA is the worst thing you can be.

The Sixers have had a bit of bad luck with injuries, but even so, they're way better off than two years ago. This is a little out-of-date, but it should give you an idea:

They missed out on getting the Heat's 2015 first-round pick by one slot, and the Lakers' 2015 first-round pick by three slots. They'd be taking a lot less heat now if they had gotten those picks last year. Instead, they'll get another high pick of their own this year, plus almost assuredly the Heat pick this year, and the Lakers pick in the next year or two. They are stockpiling more and more assets that can all come through in the same time frame.
Old 12-10-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post

Been reading more about my Sixers, and the owner is a typical hedgefund guy who only wanted to flip the team.

Josh Harris bought the Sixers and the New Jersey Devils in 2011, and has pretty much stripped both payrolls so he can sell at the highest profit. That is why he approved the whole 'tank' process 3 years. They would strip the team and have the lowest payroll in the league, and if they got lucky in the lottery they would still control these young players before Free Agency.

Now he is looking to flip the Devils and Sixers and buy an NFL team (or the other rumor is he is lobbying for an NFL expansion team in London, England.) He is a smart businessman, but he never really cared about winning as the Sixers value has doubled in 5 years.
Old 12-11-15, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Former Cav John "Hot Rod" Williams passes away at 53 after battling cancer. Link

Old 12-11-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's sad and so close to Christmas too. Only 53. I remember his days with the Cavs. He was a solid backup. The fact that he died six months after diagnosis makes it really sad. RIP.

I always thought John "Hot Plate" Williams would have gone sooner considering his weight and health issues.

Cancer really sucks.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-11-15 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-11-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli View Post
Been reading more about my Sixers, and the owner is a typical hedgefund guy who only wanted to flip the team.

Josh Harris bought the Sixers and the New Jersey Devils in 2011, and has pretty much stripped both payrolls so he can sell at the highest profit. That is why he approved the whole 'tank' process 3 years. They would strip the team and have the lowest payroll in the league, and if they got lucky in the lottery they would still control these young players before Free Agency.

Now he is looking to flip the Devils and Sixers and buy an NFL team (or the other rumor is he is lobbying for an NFL expansion team in London, England.) He is a smart businessman, but he never really cared about winning as the Sixers value has doubled in 5 years.
Why would the other NFL owners approve a sale to this guy based on his track record?
Old 12-11-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
Former Cav John "Hot Rod" Williams passes away at 53 after battling cancer. Link

Oh jeez, I rembmer when he played for the Cavs.
Old 12-11-15, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Why would the other NFL owners approve a sale to this guy based on his track record?
I agree as he is running the Sixers alot like Loria runs the Florida Marlins, only were in a big market and its pissing off the NBA.

I'm trying to think of the last guy who got shot down by the NFL owners to buy a team? Rush Limbaugh is one but that had more to do with his personality and politics, but I'm trying to think of an owner from another sport getting shot down because he ran that team horribly?

And I was wrong, the Sixers net worth has tripled since he bough the team in 2011.
Old 12-11-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Lakers will visit the Spurs today at 9:30 E.T. Here's an ESPN article discussing the current differences between Duncan and Bryant:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14...lakers-matchup

Also, if you want to vote for your All-Star player, go to Google and enter:

nba vote [insert your team here]

You can only submit 10 votes each day.

Last edited by EinCB; 12-11-15 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-11-15, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Even as a Lakers and Kobe homer, I don't have a problem admitting that Duncan was a better basketball player over the course of their careers and this era due to the consistency and continued excellence (although I would have argued otherwise 3-4 years ago ). That said, it's an interesting debate since because of their positions and play styles, Kobe obviously has generated more media attention, fans, and recognition. As carefully marketed as Kobe's retirement appears to have been, it doesn't seem like Duncan would go out in the same way when he decides to call it quits and I wonder if teams would be honoring him the same way.
Old 12-11-15, 06:14 PM

Philadelphia coach Brett Brown has agreed to a two-year contract extension, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) December 11, 2015

Klay Thompson is out for today's game on the road against the Celtics.
Old 12-11-15, 09:25 PM

What the Warriors are doing is terrific, I understand. ESPN's obsession with them: that I understand, too. But ESPN can go screw themselves for putting the Spurs - Lakers in the background, while dedicating more than half the screen for a "live look-in" of the Warriors at Celtics game. Leave the damn Spurs game alone. I was looking forward to the Spurs game, not the Warriors.
Old 12-11-15, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by the General View Post
What the Warriors are doing is terrific, I understand. ESPN's obsession with them: that I understand, too. But ESPN can go screw themselves for putting the Spurs - Lakers in the background, while dedicating more than half the screen for a "live look-in" of the Warriors at Celtics game. Leave the damn Spurs game alone. I was looking forward to the Spurs game, not the Warriors.
The Warriors are on a historic run right now, you have to expect that type of "live look-in" to happen to a rather meaningless Spurs/Lakers game.

Once the Warriors lose the "look-ins" will end.

Last edited by WCChiCubsFan; 12-12-15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-11-15, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Agreed, the Warriors being unbeaten makes it understandable.
Old 12-11-15, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't worry Sixers, help is on the way!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...053402648.html
New Philadelphia 76ers chairman Jerry Colangelo is beginning to impose his influence on the franchise, engaging Mike D'Antoni in talks to join Brett Brown's staff as associate head coach, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

D'Antoni, a four-time head coach in the NBA, has been discussing with Colangelo and Brown a role on the Sixers' bench that could begin later this month, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
Old 12-12-15, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by the General View Post
The Lakers have no right to be on national TV at this time...hopefully when Kobe retires, their awfulness will only be able to be seen locally.
Old 12-12-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
The Lakers have no right to be on national TV at this time...hopefully when Kobe retires, their awfulness will only be able to be seen locally.
This would make sense if they weren't playing the Spurs, who should be on national TV, and the fact that Kobe's retirement means they probably draw more viewers then any team that doesn't have Lebron or Stephen Curry on them.
Old 12-12-15, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

D'Antoni? I thought the point was to get them not to tank?

Watched the post game show on the Lakers channel and even Horry and crew seemed to be able to break down the Golden State/Celtics game really well, not that they'd be watching that instead of another Lakers collapse.
Old 12-12-15, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Can't embed it, but Joel Embiid got all buff! So much for the reports of him being fat in the off season, seems like he's working hard.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/7...-update-121215
Old 12-12-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved the guy at Kansas. I raved about him here every week. I hope he makes it and has a successful NBA career because he had so much potential and seemed like a really good guy to boot.
Old 12-12-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

I might even have to tune into Curry tonight.

I think I was the first person to introduce him to this forum full of chuckleheads about 6 or 7 years ago. I know Decker knew him (Elite 8), but I knew him well before that. I'll never forget when Patsos, the coach of Loyola-MD played 2 on 1 on him, 3 on 4 for the rest.

Last edited by Red Dog; 12-12-15 at 05:59 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.