Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who will win the 2016 NBA Finals?
Atlanta Hawks
0%
Cleveland Cavaliers
11.76%
Golden State Warriors
54.90%
Houston Rockets
1.96%
Los Angeles Clippers
0%
Memphis Grizzlies
0%
Oklahoma City Thunder
1.96%
San Antonio Spurs
19.61%
Other (Please specify!)
9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Old 12-05-15, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I It doesn't help that the league itself lets you vote multiple times.
First on the list of things to at least attempt to fix.

If I sound bitter, I'm not. I just simply want to these All-Star games to actually be representative of the payers having the best seasons. If others want it to be a popularity contest then lets do that. Let this ridiculously uncontrolled fan voting process pick every player. If enough fans think some bench player form the 76ers is worthy, who are we to argue?
Old 12-05-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
First on the list of things to at least attempt to fix.

If I sound bitter, I'm not. I just simply want to these All-Star games to actually be representative of the payers having the best seasons. If others want it to be a popularity contest then lets do that. Let this ridiculously uncontrolled fan voting process pick every player. If enough fans think some bench player form the 76ers is worthy, who are we to argue?
I don't think you're bitter at all, I just think there are fans like yourself who always complain and take the game more serious then it should be. I like the current mix of popularity and deserving players, nothing wrong to me with having both opposed to one or the other.
Old 12-05-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think you're bitter at all, I just think there are fans like yourself who always complain and take the game more serious then it should be. I like the current mix of popularity and deserving players, nothing wrong to me with having both opposed to one or the other.
If looking for opportunities to improve something is complaining and/or taking it too seriously, I wish more people would do both.
Old 12-05-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If looking for opportunities to improve something is complaining and/or taking it too seriously, I wish more people would do both.
Like I keep saying though, we're talking about a basically meaningless exhibition game right now that's just for fun. In the context of an all-star game, and especially sports in general, there's no shortage of "bright" ideas from people who think they're improving things with their suggestions. I can do without more wonderful ideas like eliminating 10 AM West Coast NFL games

Calling your criticism complaining in my last post was a little harsh, I don't mean to say your opinion doesn't have merit or a perfectly fine point of view with regards to either popularity contest vs performance, so I apologize.
Old 12-05-15, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Given how often people use All-Star appearances, and performance in those games (3 time ASMVP!), etc.) as a measuring stick for a players career, I would also argue it's not just a meaningless exhibition game.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 12-05-15 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Given how often people use All-Star appearances, and performance in those games (3 time ASMVP!), etc.) as a measuring stick for a players career, I would also argue it's not just a meaningless exhibition game.
I've seen that argument often and expected it to come up, but changes nothing for me for a few reasons:

-No one worth listening to will ever use All-Star numbers to ever determine whether one player was better then another anyway, and thus doesn't put any more meaning to those statistics other then a misc bullet point.
-Even if legitimized some how, the importance of this kind of metric for the sake of comparing players seems unnecessary given all the numbers and advanced statistics out there.
-I've read elsewhere that a better way to look at those type of figures is just as a measure of popularity for the era, which does have some merit just as a fun talking point.
Old 12-05-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

-No one worth listening to will ever use All-Star numbers to ever determine whether one player was better then another anyway, and thus doesn't put any more meaning to those statistics other then a misc bullet point.
And there goes the opinions of the vast majority of analysts I've ever read or heard that are actually paid to give their opinions. Just a week ago when this Kobe news was official I heard at least five different guys, between 3 different sports radio stations, note how many AS games Kobe has in his career. All as part of their way to compare him to "lesser" SG's.
Old 12-05-15, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And there goes the opinions of the vast majority of analysts I've ever read or heard that are actually paid to give their opinions. Just a week ago when this Kobe news was official I heard at least five different guys, between 3 different sports radio stations, note how many AS games Kobe has in his career. All as part of their way to compare him to "lesser" SG's.
I tried to word my reasoning specifically as there's a difference between simply listing the statistic as a bullet point like I mentioned, and actually saying that Kobe Bryant is better then any other particular player specifically because of a higher number of ASG appearances as a real contributing factor. I doubt it was the later, although with the SG conversation I don't think any other SG comes close to Kobe as far as being next behind Jordan by most other numbers alone before even getting to that point.

I can't think of any thing i've read or heard from mainstream writers or reporters that puts any real stock in ASG appearances, or enough to differentiate them when ranking players. I'd be genuinely curious if you've seen otherwise.
Old 12-06-15, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nice assist!

https://vine.co/v/i7A22BDn1jO
Old 12-06-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried to word my reasoning specifically as there's a difference between simply listing the statistic as a bullet point like I mentioned, and actually saying that Kobe Bryant is better then any other particular player specifically because of a higher number of ASG appearances as a real contributing factor.
It could have been only 1 of 50 bullet points, and my point still stands. We may not think it makes sense, but it's a fact.
Old 12-06-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It could have been only 1 of 50 bullet points, and my point still stands. We may not think it makes sense, but it's a fact.
And my point still stands too, its a fact that they're listed but how they're interpreted is a matter of opinion and not given any sort of weight to call them meaningful.
Old 12-06-15, 07:37 PM

Nick Young ejected against the Detroit Pistons:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/12/...l-dunk-attempt
Old 12-06-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that vine doesn't show the foul.
Old 12-06-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

but the Lakers got spanked and Kobe went 2-15 so i don't care
Old 12-07-15, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-n...es/2015/12/07/

Julius Randle and D'Angelo Russell benched.

Larry Nance Jr and Lou Williams moved into starting lineup for now. Apparently it's a 5-10 game experiment.
Old 12-07-15, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-n...es/2015/12/07/

Julius Randle and D'Angelo Russell benched.

Larry Nance Jr and Lou Williams moved into starting lineup for now. Apparently it's a 5-10 game experiment.
On the bright side, it would give those two more time on the court without Kobe jacking up shots.
Old 12-07-15, 07:12 PM

Watching a Philly stream of the Spurs versus Sixers game, you would think the Sixers' broadcast team are actually the Spurs' broadcast team. Spurs are up, 65 to 29 at the half.

Edit: Wow.

https://vine.co/v/i7p3AOH0Ew5

Spoiler:

Last edited by EinCB; 12-07-15 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-07-15, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's gotta be a trying job, being the Sixers' broadcasting team. Though probably not as bad as having a whole station revolving around the Lakers.
Old 12-07-15, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
That's gotta be a trying job, being the Sixers' broadcasting team. Though probably not as bad as having a whole station revolving around the Lakers.
Heard the Clippers are thinking about starting their own network, but they may not do it right away and sign a short-term deal with FOX.

Even though Ballmer has a lot of money, that would be foolish. There isn't enough content and demand IMO for an entire dedicated to them. Lakers already barely have enough content for their network.
Old 12-07-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You don't want a show that gives us a look at how the Clippers Spirit are hand picked from the various strip clubs around LA?
Old 12-07-15, 08:44 PM

But don't bench the guy shooting about 30%!

Old 12-07-15, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I know as the coach you shouldn't have to talk to every player about every decision, but how about talking to these guys so they're on the same page before they go to the press? Randle's having a decent game as well in limited minutes.

On a side note, EA could get Kobe to be in a FIFA commercial but not one for their crappy basketball franchise? Do they even have commercials for Live?

Yeah content and viewership would be major problems for a Clippers channel. The Lakers can always show games and features about their glory days. The Clippers can show... That one time Chris Kaman made the all star game? How great Danny Manning was before he wanted out? How good Elton Brand was before he ditched the team? An in depth story about Danny Ferry holding the team hostage, refusing to play there?

Last edited by fujishig; 12-07-15 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-07-15, 11:23 PM

Well done! The Spurs are now 18-4!

Also, clutch Teletovic!

https://streamable.com/gxtd
Old 12-08-15, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Watching the games every night, the announcers keep their enthusiasm despite the team being almost unwatchable. I don't know if I should respect that they are being professional or feel duped that they are trying to sell a turd like its lobster.

The more I read about Colangelo coming to the Sixers, its starting to leak out that Adam Silver got involved and pretty much talked him into taking the job. That's how embarrassing the Sixers have become in that the Commissioner of the league had to step in to change things, as this stuff that happens to small market teams like the Florida Marlins or New Orleans Pelicans.

You think the Sixers would have played hard last night being a new GM was hired, as it was our worst loss of the year, but now its a metaphor for Colangelo to clean house.
Old 12-08-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Towns goes bananas over this

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.