Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Who will win the 2016 NBA Finals?
Atlanta Hawks
0%
Cleveland Cavaliers
11.76%
Golden State Warriors
54.90%
Houston Rockets
1.96%
Los Angeles Clippers
0%
Memphis Grizzlies
0%
Oklahoma City Thunder
1.96%
San Antonio Spurs
19.61%
Other (Please specify!)
9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Old 12-03-15, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The 2015 - 2016 NBA regular season thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

That Lakers only have $23M on the books for payroll next season. With Kobe leaving and the team starting over, I think it's likely LA will be an attractive destination for some veterans next summer.
I don't think capspace will be an issue because ton's of teams will have it. Despite how trainwrecky Management is and them having a crap coach imo it will come down to what kind of season Clarkson and Randle have. If they look like studs who could be all star level or at least top 10-15 starters at their position then the team might be attractive to potential big name free agents despite all their other problems.
Old 12-03-15, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
I don't think capspace will be an issue because ton's of teams will have it. Despite how trainwrecky Management is and them having a crap coach imo it will come down to what kind of season Clarkson and Randle have. If they look like studs who could be all star level or at least top 10-15 starters at their position then the team might be attractive to potential big name free agents despite all their other problems.
Did you give up on Russell already, or are you assuming he'll be a star? No way all three of these guys pan out with this coaching staff (Scott has basically said both that they live and die with Kobe and why give the rookies minutes?) and team. Plus PG and PF are probably the deepest positions on the league. Even the team Shaq left Orlando for had multiple all stars or borderline level talent at the time.

I'd they're determined to keep Scott an extra year no matter what, that kinda indicates to me they don't expect anyone to come in this off season, so we'll see.
Old 12-03-15, 01:51 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just concede the 3 to save energy

Old 12-03-15, 01:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

^ love how the center just runs down court before Curry even starts the shot because he knows it'll be good!
Old 12-03-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN View Post
just concede the 3 to save energy
He was boxed out, in an effort, he could help Curry turn it into a 4pt play by rushing at him?
Old 12-03-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
^ love how the center just runs down court before Curry even starts the shot because he knows it'll be good!
that is actually the best part of that, not Walker's non-play.
Old 12-03-15, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://twitter.com/roy_meets_world/...46424671412224

Lesson learned. Never mention sports and human tragedy in the same sentence. Roy Hibbert is getting a lot of shit for this tweet. I know his intention wasn't malicious, but it came out in a way that sounded bad.
Old 12-03-15, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Geez, such a ridiculous reaction to something where the intention was clearly a good one.
Old 12-03-15, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And it's didn't sound as bad as many put it. Basically, he was saying that sports come way second when a tragedy occurs. People on social media criticizing him are just assholes/smartasses.
Old 12-03-15, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, people making a big deal out of it are idiots.
Old 12-04-15, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Reunited:

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/672617198561595392
Old 12-04-15, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by the General View Post
That's awesome. Pop's THE best in every way.
Old 12-04-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

that was great.
Old 12-04-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I enjoyed that.
Old 12-04-15, 10:11 PM
Admin-Thanos

The Knicks being mediocre is quite refreshing actually.
Old 12-05-15, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder how they work Kobe into the All Star game. There's a chance he's selected over Harden, Paul and many other much more deserving Guards to start alongside Curry. If not, I doubt he gets selected for the bench. I assume Adam Silver is obligated to make some sort of special selection to include him. IIRC, that's what Stern did with Jordan in his final year (with maybe Vince Carter giving up his starting spot to MJ for the game).
Any way you figure he has to play in some capacity, right?
Old 12-05-15, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Speaking of Kobe, let's read how fondly he will remember his teammates:

LOS ANGELES—Having recently announced his impending retirement after 20 seasons in the NBA, Los Angeles Lakers shooting guard Kobe Bryant reportedly grew wistful and teary-eyed Friday while reflecting on all the mistakes his teammates made throughout his career.

Listing off all their missed shots, blown defensive assignments, and careless turnovers, an emotional Bryant told reporters that the times he ripped into teammates for their poor play remain some of his favorite moments of his two-decade tenure in the league.

“People will always want to talk about the championships, the All-Star selections, or the scoring titles, but what I’ll really always cherish are all the times I let my teammates know when they completely fucked up,” said Bryant, adding that since deciding to retire at the end of this season, he has been hit by a sudden wave of nostalgia for all of the instances in which he unloaded on his fellow players for their mental errors or lack of physicality against opponents. “It really is the little things that stick with me, like yelling at Dwight Howard for not taking a charge or kicking Kwame Brown out of practice because he didn’t dive for a loose ball.”

“That’s the type of stuff I’ll really miss the most,” Bryant added.

While stating that so many of his teammates’ past failures stand out to him, Bryant told reporters that certain fuckups will always be especially meaningful, such as the very first time he chewed out Rick Fox in his rookie year for playing soft defense, as well as the 2010 Western Conference Finals when he screamed at Luke Walton because he was not boxing out in the paint. Bryant then quickly added that he would never forget constantly criticizing Deron Williams for being too predictable with the ball while they were playing for Team USA at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

The 17-time NBA All-Star also became visibly choked up when describing how special it was as a fresh-faced 18-year-old to tell then-teammate Byron Scott that he can’t play for shit back in 1997, and then have the opportunity to tell Scott that he can’t coach for shit either almost 20 years later.

After wiping away a tear, Bryant then shook his head and laughed while recounting the time he questioned Derek Fisher’s masculinity in front of his wife and children.

“I’ll always remember when we were playing the Wizards in December of 2005, and Sasha Vujacic made an absolutely terrible pass in the second quarter that was stolen by Etan Thomas,” said Bryant, adding that angrily confronting Vujacic in front of the entire team during a timeout is one of the things he’ll most associate with his NBA career when looking back in 50 years. “We still ended up winning that game, but later in the locker room I pulled Sasha aside and told him, ‘You fucking suck. You suck at basketball, and you have no business being on the same court as me. You’re the most worthless, garbage player I’ve ever seen in my life. You’re nothing. Get the fuck off my team.’ I remember the look he had on his face like it was yesterday.”

“Man, I’m getting emotional just thinking about it,” continued Bryant, pausing to clear his throat. “Those are the things I’ll be telling my grandkids about.”

Bryant went on to recount several more of the most cherished memories from his career off the top of his head, including furiously screaming at Trevor Ariza for failing to execute a pick-and-roll in 2008; Caron Butler for missing a contested baseline jumper in 2004; Pau Gasol for not securing a rebound during the 2009 playoffs; Steve Blake for turning the ball over against the Knicks in 2010; Robert Horry for failing to kick the ball out to him for an open three-pointer on five separate occasions over the 2001-02 season; Devean George for missing a free throw against the Pacers in 2002; Matt Barnes for committing a three-second violation in 2012; Gary Payton for being out of position during a game against the Mavericks in 2003; Jordan Farmar for every single shot he missed in the 2013-14 season; Andrew Bynum for blowing the chance for a three-point play after being fouled on a layup in 2007; and Horace Grant for an errant inbounds pass in 2001.

Bryant added that he will also never forget aggressively confronting Shaquille O’Neal when the center fouled out against the Jazz in 2001, or when O’Neal failed to call out a screen in 2003, or when O’Neal did not hustle back on defense in the second quarter of their Christmas Day game in 2002, or when O’Neal did not play through a toe injury in 2001, or when O’Neal led him too far with an outlet pass during a preseason game against the Suns on October 22, 1999.

“The hardest part about walking away from the game is the day-to-day stuff—knowing I won’t be coming into practice every morning and getting the chance to call Nick Young a soft, overrated waste of a roster spot right to his face while guarding him in a scrimmage,” said Bryant. “It’s sad thinking that I may have stormed off the practice court in a show of pure disgust for the last time. I don’t know if that’s really even sunk in yet.”

“I’m just going to have to really savor ripping them apart during what’s left of the season,” Bryant added.
http://www.theonion.com/article/kobe...takes-te-51983
Old 12-05-15, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I wonder how they work Kobe into the All Star game. There's a chance he's selected over Harden, Paul and many other much more deserving Guards to start alongside Curry. If not, I doubt he gets selected for the bench. I assume Adam Silver is obligated to make some sort of special selection to include him. IIRC, that's what Stern did with Jordan in his final year (with maybe Vince Carter giving up his starting spot to MJ for the game).
Any way you figure he has to play in some capacity, right?
Yeah, I'm guessing he has a strong chance of getting the fan vote and everyone will complain about the all-star voting process again and again like they do every year and ignore the fact that the all-star game is for who the fans want to see.
Old 12-05-15, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But see, not all the fans want to see that. Many want to see the best that year playing against each other.

There are ways to celebrate a HOF player without actually letting him take a far more deserving player's spot and letting him embarrass himself on the court. IN fact it would be cool of the halftime of every All-Star game was turned into a way to celebrate the multi-year All Stars that have come before. If there isn't obvious choices playing in their last year, or retired the year before, they could always find a few greats in the audience to bring down.
Old 12-05-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
But see, not all the fans want to see that. Many want to see the best that year playing against each other.
That may be true, but if the fans vote for Kobe, then that's exactly what the majority wants to see. I'm in the minority with you that wants to see the best of the year against each other, but the All-Star selection process isn't always catering this. Still, Silver should use the same criteria Stern used in this case. If a player like Kobe, one of the all-time greats, is retiring, then give him a fitting All-Star spot.
Old 12-05-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
That may be true, but if the fans vote for Kobe, then that's exactly what the majority wants to see. I'm in the minority with you that wants to see the best of the year against each other, but the All-Star selection process isn't always catering this. Still, Silver should use the same criteria Stern used in this case. If a player like Kobe, one of the all-time greats, is retiring, then give him a fitting All-Star spot.
What he said. Can't please everyone, and unfortunately for you there aren't as many fans that care enough to vote someone else in so tough

The funny thing is everyone these days seems to just whine and complain about how unwatchable the All-Star game and how no one tries and there's no defense. In a game like that, I'd sure as hell enjoy Kobe try to go one on one against Lebron one last time then I would very many other match ups in the league right now outside of just watching Curry shoot the ball.
Old 12-05-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that until we do the right thing, and change up the fan voting process, we're just going to have to accept it if they vote in Kobe.

But if they don't then hopefully the talk about Kobe will end. Fans had their chance and we will allow the WC coach fill the team with players that are deserving this season, and this season alone.
Old 12-05-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree that until we do the right thing, and change up the fan voting process, we're just going to have to accept it if they vote in Kobe.
Or the wrong thing, as far as i'm concerned.

And i'm totally not being a homer, i've hold this opinion for all sports. I never really cared if a billion Chinese people wanted to vote for Yao every year either or Yankees fans want to see Jeter in the game. I think taking away fan interaction from a meaningless exhibition game (baseball be damned) is silly. The real awards are at the end of the year anyway.
Old 12-05-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just for the record, my solution doesn't take away all fan interaction (voting) form the process. Just inserts a level of sense into the process. And being in favor of ballot stuffing campaigns is IMO the complete opposite of making sense.
Old 12-05-15, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just for the record, my solution doesn't take away all fan interaction (voting) form the process. Just inserts a level of sense into the process. And being in favor of ballot stuffing campaigns is IMO the complete opposite of making sense.
I disagree about ballot stuffing campaigns, to me it's honestly not much different then when arenas had paper ballots and teams encourage fans to vote for their own players. It doesn't help that the league itself lets you vote multiple times. And again, a lot of this has to do with my belief that it's all about the fans seeing who they want for entertainment sake and for an otherwise meaningless game. That's probably why i'm not all bitter like some folks are and my before mentioned criticism of the way the all-star games go in general.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.